The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Issue with launcher (error 210) [SOLVED!]

• Kaladorn
    Kaladorn
    Soul Shriven
    can you not send us the file instead of trying to download it there?
  • Ninety9lives
    Ive done all the steps to fix, all day yesterday, now Im left with an uninstalled ESO and 0 play time as my monthly sub get sucked outta my account today im thinking about these trouble shoots, ITS NOT US ITS YOU! FIX IT!
    This game is losing fractions of it player base just due to errors.
    Ive paid over $200NZD buying the game, upgrading to imperial and subs.
    Its not peoples ISP, eso just released a bad patch.
  • drmrogers
    drmrogers
    Soul Shriven
    Still unable to connect to the launcher after doing what you suggested. I have an open ticket and have sent a few mails back and forth to support with some screen shots, nothing they have suggested has worked either.
    # 141010-000222

Cheers ZOS_MollyH
  • Donarion
    Donarion
    Thought I'd jump on the this thread and report that I am also getting Error 210 after the launcher is "loading" for about 3-5 mins. Sure glad I only bought 30 days of game time.
  • broer
    broer
    ✭✭
    I can confirm the following link is broken. I get page not available:

launcher.bethesda.net/Bethesda.net_Launcher/Bethesda.net_Launcher.patchmanifesthttp://

Is this the cause of the issue?
    Edited by broer on 11 October 2014 03:57
  • Ninety9lives
    We are getting dicked around, eso is having issuses with players try to download patch, its on thier end, your screenshots and reports just keep you busy.
  • Absynthe
    Absynthe
    ✭✭
    Yeah, tbh... I think it is simply what others have mentioned - players cannot connect to the launcher to get the manifest. It seems the server path offering it is borked.
    Leonine Tigeress
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hello all!

Thank you again for the great information, this is helping our research while finding a solution. Some players are reporting that manually editing the hosts file is allowing them to connect to the launcher and patch servers as it forces your connection to find a new path.

Our support team is working hard to get in touch with everyone to gather the necessary information, but in the mean time if you would like to give it a try, it's worth a shot!

To do so, please try the following:

1. Open the Run menu by pressing the Windows key and R
    2. Type in the following command to the runbox: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    3. Once Notepad has opened the file, search for the line that contains the following information:
    ##.##.##.## launcher.bethesda.net
    Please note that the # represents the numbers of the direct IP Address
    4. Delete that entire line from the Hosts file
    5. Save the changes but do NOT use "Save As" because this will change the Hosts file's extension

Thank you again, and please let us know if it helps resolve your issue!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Absynthe
    Absynthe
    ✭✭
    Hah, that seems to have worked like a charm, thank you so much all involved! :D
    Leonine Tigeress
  • Kaladorn
    Kaladorn
    Soul Shriven
    \Worked for me aswell. Thanks for the good support. Keep up the good work and dont listen to all the raging of some people
  • broer
    broer
    ✭✭
    This solution worked for me!
  • ShadoPanauin
    ShadoPanauin
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much :D
    R.I.P. Million Reasons to Bomb, he triggered ZOS

Characters:
    Million Reasons to Rename - AD Magicka Nightblade
    Lúcio C - AD Stamina Sorcerer
    slaughterfishlivesmatter - AD Stamina Nightblade
    Million Reasons to Rake - DC Stamina Sorcerer
    Shadopandauin - EP Magicka DK
    Million Reasons to Lag - EP Magicka Sorcerer
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MollyH , I don't have that entry in my hosts file. :/ I am not getting a 210 error, just a launcher that doesn't want to work. Sometimes it will load without the news, most of the time it just sits there, the download bar is there but the play button is missing as well as the news. If and that is a big IF it does start up after leaving it for five minutes or longer, when I do close it, the process takes minutes to even stop and will crash explorer.exe most of the time when it does. This started my first log in after the PVP update.
  • Donarion
    Donarion
    Yeah this doesn't work for me. I followed the directions to the letter, but when I try to Save, Notepad will not let me. I get a popup alert from Notepad saying "Cannot create the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct". Then it gives me the "Save As" options window.
    Edited by Donarion on 11 October 2014 19:04
  • MadDogPete
    MadDogPete
    Soul Shriven
    Gidday everyone (Kiwi Hello)
    I have had problems with the launcher from day 1. I have tried the tech support hints (like forward porting etc) that really didn't improve my situation with the Client hanging on that Loading..... screen but nothing happening for hours.
    To cut to the chase, I read an article on the net this morning about using Cyberghost (free software available on line) to hide the fact that I am in New Zealand, hey presto it worked for me, within seconds I was able to play the game.
    Here is a link: http://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_us
    I hope this solves your problems too
  • Absynthe
    Absynthe
    ✭✭
    @Donarion Make sure the file isn't set to "read only" (right-click, then "properties", I believe.)
    Leonine Tigeress
  • whiteclaw47
    whiteclaw47
    ✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hello all!

Thank you again for the great information, this is helping our research while finding a solution. Some players are reporting that manually editing the hosts file is allowing them to connect to the launcher and patch servers as it forces your connection to find a new path.

Our support team is working hard to get in touch with everyone to gather the necessary information, but in the mean time if you would like to give it a try, it's worth a shot!

To do so, please try the following:

1. Open the Run menu by pressing the Windows key and R
    2. Type in the following command to the runbox: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    3. Once Notepad has opened the file, search for the line that contains the following information:
    ##.##.##.## launcher.bethesda.net
    Please note that the # represents the numbers of the direct IP Address
    4. Delete that entire line from the Hosts file
    5. Save the changes but do NOT use "Save As" because this will change the Hosts file's extension

Thank you again, and please let us know if it helps resolve your issue!

It worked for me, my launcher is now working properly.

Donarion wrote: »
    Yeah this doesn't work for me. I followed the directions to the letter, but when I try to Save, Notepad will not let me. I get a popup alert from Notepad saying "Cannot create the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct". Then it gives me the "Save As" options window.

If you, or anyone else, have the problem with saving (admin rights), just copy and paste the file to you desktop, open the file (from desktop) with notepad, delete the line ZOS_MollyH said, save it and then just copy the edited file from your desktop to etc folder and you will get the option to save as admin.
  • Donarion
    Donarion
    Thanks Whiteclaw47, that did the trick.
  • dstuart1960
    dstuart1960
    Soul Shriven
    This worked for me as well.

My issue is did your support team NOT REMEMBER telling us to put those lines in the support file the last time this happened.

A better question is do you EVER TEST your software before you release it?

Being a software engineer with over 25 years of experience, I find the quality of this product embarrassing.

Sadly, I'm probably unsubbing at least for a while as I'm tired of playing a buggy game.

This game had the potential to be awesome.
  • NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, this worked for me but I had to do it this way as I also couldn't directly save into that folder.
    Donarion wrote: »

If you, or anyone else, have the problem with saving (admin rights), just copy and paste the file to you desktop, open the file (from desktop) with notepad, delete the line ZOS_MollyH said, save it and then just copy the edited file from your desktop to etc folder and you will get the option to save as admin.
    Edited by NovaShadow on 13 October 2014 00:01
    PC NA - EPHS
  • WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    WarrioroftheWind_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This worked to some degree with me. Because of the latest patch I had to use the launcher, so I used the delete line in the host file fix recommended. The launcher started updating and downloading the patch but it stuck around 72% and gave me the error 210. However the Repair button was lit and when I clicked on it it started verifying files. It showed ready to play when it finished doing its thing but for good measure I decided to close the launcher and reopen it. Now it is checking download of the 6 gig some odd patch.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I was directed to this thread but this isn't what happened to me. After this week's patch to the EU client, My launcher now tells me I have to reinstall the EU client. Something about not being able to unzipe the manifest files. I don't have any Issue with my NA Client install....yet.... or the PTS server. Just the EU server wanting me to redownload and install the whole game over and over and over...I stopped after the 2nd download...

d5pvbmjpb8bc.jpg
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I was directed to this thread but this isn't what happened to me. After this week's patch to the EU client, My launcher now tells me I have to reinstall the EU client. Something about not being able to unzipe the manifest files. I don't have any Issue with my NA Client install....yet.... or the PTS server. Just the EU server wanting me to redownload and install the whole game over and over and over...I stopped after the 2nd download...
    Same here. I didn't even get any error messages, the launcher just stopped seeing the game after I rebooted my PC. Here's what I got from customer support:
    Please follow the steps below in order to workaround a full reinstallation of the game:
    1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online for the North American megaserver or C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU for the European megaserver.
    2. Look for the Depot folder. Move this folder to the desktop. You can drag and drop the folder for ease.
    3. Open Control Panel and click on Programs and Features.
    4. Uninstall The Elder Scrolls Online.
    5. Once everything is uninstalled, navigate over to http://www.elderscrollsonline.com and download the ESO PC client.
    6. Install the launcher, but please make sure you select the option for installing both VC++ and DirectX.
    7. Once the launcher is installed, we will make the launcher download the game, but use the old folder.
    8. While the game is downloading, wait until the download hits 1%.
    9. Once you have 1%, pause the download then exit the launcher. (Please make sure to pause before exiting.)
    10. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online or C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU and look for a new Depot folder that should have been generated.
    11. Right click on the new Depot folder and rename it to Depot.backup.
    12. Locate your old Depot folder from the second step.
    13. Right click it and select Copy.
    14. Go back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online or C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU.
    15. Right click inside the folder and select Paste.
    16. You should now have two depot folders: Depot and Depot.backup.
    17. Open the launcher.
    18. Click the arrow in the middle of the launcher next to Game Options.
    19. Select Repair.
    20. Wait for the repair to complete.
    A word of warning: it didn't actually help. The option to repair the game never showed up, all I could do was reinstall. Which I did, after deleting all relevant files first. And now I'm getting the 209 error, which I consider an improvement because at least I know I'm not alone with my issue anymore. :D
  • revolution1
    revolution1
    Soul Shriven
    I have a mac and this issue has been ongoing for a while now. I have had a few email suggestions from support to rectify, all to no avail. I can access the game from the 'eso' launcher - but not the proper launcher (where I will have to download the next Update)...so when that happens I will not be able to play. I have un-subbed.
    Edited by revolution1 on 29 October 2014 02:13
  • revolution1
    revolution1
    Soul Shriven
    interestingly it started downloading everything (the whole files) without permission...It worked for 2 days and is not working again... so sad
  • Going4Quests
    Going4Quests
    Soul Shriven
    I don't have these lines in the hosts file. :s
  • Shambhu
    Shambhu
    I don't have these lines in the hosts file. :s

Same problem, there is nothing in the hosts-file, it's just a sample file.
    I would've thought this problem was gone, seeing as it's so old.
    I encountered this yesterday for the first time, and didn't think of it that much. I just clicked "repair" and it started repairing. Then I forgot about it, and when I returned to it some hours later, the "play"-button was there, and I could start the game normally. Now the problem is there again, after reboot. I didn't do anything else than clicked "ok" on the error-message, then went on to search about this problem. Few moments later when I returned to it, the "play"-button was there instead of "repair". I made a test and restarted the launcher, waited for a while, but the "repair" was still there.
    The problem was with my wife's account also yesterday, she could start the game directly from the eso.exe, but the launcher is broken.
  • Shambhu
    Shambhu
    And again: I started the launcher on the background, while writing the previous message, and now that I returned to it, the error-message was there, but so was the "play"-button.
    Zeriouslu ZOS, what is going on? Is it a problem with your server, or what?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there @effinshiddy,

If that isn't working, you can try reinstalling the launcher to resolve the issue.

To do this, head to the installation folder for ESO. By default, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online. If it is not in the default location, make a note of where the installation folder is. This will be important later!

In the Zenimax Online folder, there will be a folder called Launcher. Right click on this folder, select Rename, and name the folder Launcher.old. This will ensure that the files are still there, but will allow a reinstall to work correctly.

Once the folder is renamed, head to https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/ and log in with your game credentials. Select Download Game on the right to download the Install_ESO.exe file. When the file finishes downloading, launch it.

This is where the installation location becomes important. The installer will ask for an installation location. You'll want to use the Zenimax Online folder that already exists. If it's in the default location, you won't need to change anything. If you chose a custom location, you'll want to make sure that you change it in the installer.

This will only install the game's launcher. When the installation completes, a new Launcher folder should populate. Try running the Bethesda.net launcher from this location and let us know if it helps.

If so, you may delete the Launcher.old folder and you can continue to access the game from the new launcher. If it doesn't work, keep the files and let us know what happens when you open the new launcher.

Thanks for your patience!
    Oh, thank you. I had corrupted system files for Win7 and had to reinstall the OS. I backed up ESO along with other files and programs yet when I transferred it back over I had the same problems mentioned here - extremely slow launch of the launcher and the patch manifest 201 error. Renaming the Launcher folder and initiating a reinstall from the game website promptly fixed the issue.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • ConterK
    ConterK
    ✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there @effinshiddy,

If that isn't working, you can try reinstalling the launcher to resolve the issue.

To do this, head to the installation folder for ESO. By default, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online. If it is not in the default location, make a note of where the installation folder is. This will be important later!

In the Zenimax Online folder, there will be a folder called Launcher. Right click on this folder, select Rename, and name the folder Launcher.old. This will ensure that the files are still there, but will allow a reinstall to work correctly.

Once the folder is renamed, head to https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/ and log in with your game credentials. Select Download Game on the right to download the Install_ESO.exe file. When the file finishes downloading, launch it.

This is where the installation location becomes important. The installer will ask for an installation location. You'll want to use the Zenimax Online folder that already exists. If it's in the default location, you won't need to change anything. If you chose a custom location, you'll want to make sure that you change it in the installer.

This will only install the game's launcher. When the installation completes, a new Launcher folder should populate. Try running the Bethesda.net launcher from this location and let us know if it helps.

If so, you may delete the Launcher.old folder and you can continue to access the game from the new launcher. If it doesn't work, keep the files and let us know what happens when you open the new launcher.

Thanks for your patience!
    Oh, thank you. I had corrupted system files for Win7 and had to reinstall the OS. I backed up ESO along with other files and programs yet when I transferred it back over I had the same problems mentioned here - extremely slow launch of the launcher and the patch manifest 201 error. Renaming the Launcher folder and initiating a reinstall from the game website promptly fixed the issue.

Hi, im having this same problame with this Imperial City update..
    my Folder is the same since the game was in Beta.. and i tried this way.. but the new Launcher doesnt seem to recognize the game files.. it asks me to "install" the game.. and then, since my HDD is not infinite and only have 20something gb left.. it says my HDD doesnt have enough space, because it requires 80gb... lol

How can i make the new launcher recognize the game?

BTW.. i can launch the game without using the launcher and it runs fine.. with the minor problem of having no sound.. i had this happening a long time ago before, and it just got fixed once the launcher "updated" but it doesnt seem to wanna work this time..