Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

People are Left with 'Nothing to do' Because Your Endgame Gear Blows

Nuitar
Nuitar
✭✭✭
Title says it all. People have been wearing warlock set since they were level 10. Now it's the highest in demand set at v12. The trials sets offer 1% crit damage for 4 items. Most crafted sets blow that out of the water.

So you've got this significant group of people who have realized that regardless of what they accomplish in their trials or how often they farm a difficult vet dungeon, crafted or random BoE stuff is always going to be better.

@The Mythic (DAOC) Devs - what happened to powerful rare drops on world bosses? Set items that leveled up? 99% of the stuff that drops from world bosses/vet dungeon bosses is really a joke.

Heck, the rare worm cult/ebon sets in the vet dungeons are pretty solid - and for some reason trials loot is...worse?

All in all...game is great. I will work with the buggy aspects because I do enjoy the pvp and the freedom in character development. But come on - you have to understand that without a gear grind of some sort...ANY sort (even aesthetic grinds a la GW2), the long tail of your playerbase is going to dwindle quickly.

You hit v12 - run some trials - get that magical chest for finally completing it and...your blue willows path robe from v3 is going to give you more dps than the light armor set you just pulled.
Edited by Nuitar on 27 May 2014 09:26
  • Lucifer108
    Lucifer108
    ✭✭
    The lack a carrot on the stick for all the gamplay modes in this game. And its made by the worse that all set are Bind on Equip and can be sold to other people.Why put effort into something when you can just buy the sets that drop. And as the OP said the actual BOss loot from trials are total rubbish.
  • sovreign
    sovreign
    ✭✭✭
    This.
    "Soon you will see, that evil will always triumph, because good ... Is dumb"
    -Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
  • kherzaheb17_ESO
    kherzaheb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I agree trials bosses drops nothing but trash.I'm not saying amazing drops on every run but you know i was using warlock set like u said when i was v11.So do the math lol.
  • Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    While i like the warlock v12 re-set.. i agree, whats the deal ?
  • Trenchfoot
    Trenchfoot
    ✭✭
    Well it wouldn't be too bad if there was a need/greed/pass system so that if/when a set piece dropped it had a chance of going to someone who will actually use that type of weapon/armour.

As it stands now the loot system is like giving three unlabelled tubes of ointment to a burn victim and saying "One of these has soothing cream inside, the other two contain pure sulphuric acid. Good luck."
  • Rologue
    Rologue
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sucks blowing through the content at break neck speeds, putting in 8 hours a day plus over time like it's a job within a month after game comes out, then do the same for an expansion to be first to be lvl 12. Glad I didn't listen to all the tires that told me to do the same. Still got 9 more vet lvls to attain. Can't expect a barely 2 month old game to be able to cater to nolifers at the allotted time.
    Edited by Rologue on 27 May 2014 10:32
    Guildmaster of Decimation Elite
    "Take all that you can, and give nothing back!"
  • Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Well it wouldn't be too bad if there was a need/greed/pass system so that if/when a set piece dropped it had a chance of going to someone who will actually use that type of weapon/armour.

As it stands now the loot system is like giving three unlabelled tubes of ointment to a burn victim and saying "One of these has soothing cream inside, the other two contain pure sulphuric acid. Good luck."

because obviously people don't get their own drops of each mob and have the same trash item sets in their bags/banks/alts that you do.

also, when you add a need/greed/pass system everyone will always roll need.... because reasons.
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    also, when you add a need/greed/pass system everyone will always roll need.... because reasons.

Well there was the n/g/p system in Neverwinter also which worked quite well, if someone needed the first 10-20 trash items you kicked them because you could tell what they would be like. The trick was to run with guildies and even for farming specific set items people would decide in advance who needed the items most and anyone who 'needed' the item out of turn was kicked from the guild if they got it and did not pass it on. For the most part n/g/p works but just not with pugs, far better system than every man for himself on random chests.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turial wrote: »

Well there was the n/g/p system in Neverwinter also which worked quite well, if someone needed the first 10-20 trash items you kicked them because you could tell what they would be like. The trick was to run with guildies and even for farming specific set items people would decide in advance who needed the items most and anyone who 'needed' the item out of turn was kicked from the guild if they got it and did not pass it on. For the most part n/g/p works but just not with pugs, far better system than every man for himself on random chests.

In neverwinter, they needed a n/g/p system because loot dropped once, not per person.

Also, dungeon chests are now per person as well, not free for all.

No need for n/g/p as this system is better.
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    If gear is the reason to play a game i would recommend a gear grind game.
    End game gear is crafted in some games. In others it was that way and the Release of Trials of Atlantis killled much of the playerbase.

If a game does not intrigue me on other levels it is basically bad. (Disclaimer: for me, i am not a fan of progressquest or wow)

• Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kililin wrote: »
    If gear is the reason to play a game i would recommend a gear grind game.
    End game gear is crafted in some games. In others it was that way and the Release of Trials of Atlantis killled much of the playerbase.

If a game does not intrigue me on other levels it is basically bad. (Disclaimer: for me, i am not a fan of progressquest or wow)

Good old Trials of Atlantis... the first step down a dark and twisted road to doom. I don't know which was worse, the artifact leveling or 200 man boss beat downs to unlock OP abilities.
  • R0M2K
    R0M2K
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh Itemization & balancing must improve quite a bit.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about bosses would just drop epic and legendary tempers? So you could gear up without taking crafters entirely out of the equation. And could make a considerable amount of coin that way as well.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • MKLS
    MKLS
    ✭✭✭
    Good - ZOS promised that this game would not be all about the raiders only having the best sets of armour and that the crafters would be viable and useful end game.

Personally I hope that that stays and they don't give into the pressure from the endgame raiders.

Endgame raiders are welcome to cosmetic changes - unique dyes, titles, pets and other such stuff to prove how leet they are - not to mention having the pride of being the top of the weekly leader board etc when ZOS have actually got the balance sorted so it takes longer than 11 minutes to finish a trial but there is no need for them to get better stat gear than the crafters - as its the crafters that have spent months gaining the skills to make the pieces in the first place.

Those that say that raiders should get better gear because they spend XX hours together with a group of people which need organisation I would answer with crafters have spent 100's of hours farming mats and building skills etc - just because its a different play style does not mean only one playstyle should be rewarded.
  • Veakoth
    Veakoth
    ✭✭✭
    The only trials set that isn't worth a damn is the heavy set, although the light set could be optimized to assist more than just dps. The trials sets are in fact OP, consider the healing set with 100 power reduction to anyone standing in one of your AoE heals.
    I only wish the loot dropping mechanism wasn't so *** where healers end up with all the heavy and medium while the tanks get the staves and light Armour causing you to require over 50 successful runs to finish your set. :(
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Itemization needs a lot of work in this game. Gear just doesn't feel 'epic'.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trenchfoot wrote: »

because obviously people don't get their own drops of each mob and have the same trash item sets in their bags/banks/alts that you do.

Well in dungeons I'm in we always ask if need for sets or blue items they don't need themselves.
    Nice if you are at level and the other out level the dungeon.

But yes Need/ greeed and BoP would work in trials and bosses
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Hilgara
    Hilgara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people who are vet 12 now got there by exploiting the game. Either by mass AOE grinding or boss respawn exploits. That's your decision but you then can't complain when you have nothing left to do because the expansions are timed to cater for the majority of people playing the actual game not exploiting the game mechanics. I really don't care if you get to V12 a few hours after the patch is released but if you then flood the market with the tonnes of loot then you begin to effect my gameplay. I'm not defending ZOS they should have had the foresight to see these blindingly obvious exploits like the Anomalies and Kardala farming. They just seem to be so naïve. It looks like they never played an MMO before let alone built one.
    Edited by Hilgara on 27 May 2014 11:28
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeuseason wrote: »

And it really never did in any TES game. I think you are looking for a gear grind type of game, TES is normally oriented at horizontal growth and player skill, the opposite of what you are looking for apparently
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

And it really never did in any TES game. I think you are looking for a gear grind type of game, TES is normally oriented at horizontal growth and player skill, the opposite of what you are looking for apparently

I hope you'll forgive me if I don't consider your argument a valid position for an MMO to take.

As of yet, I just don't get gear in this game. You get fantastic sets farming mobs at level - so why bother killing bosses? Just for the sake of it?

Please forgive me, but I want good gear to drop - and I want to know where it drops so I can run those quests/trials/raids, whatever, more.
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Singular wrote: »

I hope you'll forgive me if I don't consider your argument a valid position for an MMO to take.

As of yet, I just don't get gear in this game. You get fantastic sets farming mobs at level - so why bother killing bosses? Just for the sake of it?

Please forgive me, but I want good gear to drop - and I want to know where it drops so I can run those quests/trials/raids, whatever, more.

If you want a gear grind similar to WoW, then you are in the wrong MMO
    You like this better?
    Also, your idea of MMO is that:your idea. It's not an universal Law of MMOs
    Edited by mutharex on 27 May 2014 11:55
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭

Yes and no. I've been playing ES games since Morrowind, but the difference here is this is a MMO, not a single player RPG. Yes, the game should have an almost endless gear grind, but with poor itemization, there's a very limited set of gear they can offer players. Even 'sets' of gear are lackluster and barely feel like an upgrade. Legendary gear is just sightly better than the greens it just replaced.

Check out the forums a little more before commenting 'these are not the droids you are looking for'. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and no. I've been playing ES games since Morrowind, but the difference here is this is a MMO, not a single player RPG. Yes, the game should have an almost endless gear grind, but with poor itemization, there's a very limited set of gear they can offer players. Even 'sets' of gear are lackluster and barely feel like an upgrade. Legendary gear is just sightly better than the greens it just replaced.

Check out the forums a little more before commenting 'these are not the droids you are looking for'. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So because it's a MMO it needs to have a gear grind? Again, there are different type of MMos. They don't have to be all wowclones and actually they aren't.
    The fact that you want it to be one, doesn't mean anything at all
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nuitar wrote: »
    All in all...game is great. I will work with the buggy aspects because I do enjoy the pvp and the freedom in character development. But come on - you have to understand that without a gear grind of some sort...ANY sort (even aesthetic grinds a la GW2), the long tail of your playerbase is going to dwindle quickly.
    Since only a minority and probably a small one at that that will ever reach VR12 then problems with gear at that level aren't a make or break aspect of this game I would suggest.

Most players ATM don't have a VR1 and out of those that do I'd be amazed if even 50% ever get a VR10; I expect the VR grind is going to be the aspect that loses most players because it's a total 180 degree turn round in the type of game ZOS were hyping ESO to be .. from a 21st century quest-based, soloable to cap with option group content for the more 'phat lewt' focused, to a 1990s group-or-die affair when even reaching the level cap needs grouping.

So phat lewt problems at VR12 are very much "First World problems" it seems to me for ESO.
    Edited by KerinKor on 27 May 2014 12:05
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It needs rewards, however. Otherwise most people won't be bothering doing such content. I agree, it doesn't have to be gear, of course. But that's what you're currently getting and it's lacking.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah---people complaining about gear in an MMO. This is a first.

But... just 7 weeks since release, and problems with the VR12 gear are killing the game?

I bet 70% of the player base wouldn't even know what VR12 even is at this early point in the life of the game.

This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, speak for yourself.
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭

So because it's a MMO it needs to have a gear grind? Again, there are different type of MMos. They don't have to be all wowclones and actually they aren't.

Just because I said it needs better gear itemization, you twerk it into lulzwowclonezderp? I think you are barking up the wrong tree chihuahua.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because I said it needs better gear itemization, you twerk it into lulzwowclonezderp? I think you are barking up the wrong tree chihuahua.

How deep and articulated. Hmmm go back to wow I suppose it's the expected answer?
    Or would you like something more 'personalised'?
  • Daendur
    Daendur
    ✭✭✭
    In DAoC (at least before ToA) a crafted set 100% quality, overenchanted was the best.
    And so if ppl want to PvP instead of kill thousands of times the same mob, they can and they would with a good equip.