Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

People are Left with 'Nothing to do' Because Your Endgame Gear Blows

• zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    zeuseason wrote: »
    Itemization needs a lot of work in this game. Gear just doesn't feel 'epic'.

And it really never did in any TES game. I think you are looking for a gear grind type of game, TES is normally oriented at horizontal growth and player skill, the opposite of what you are looking for apparently

Yes and no. I've been playing ES games since Morrowind, but the difference here is this is a MMO, not a single player RPG. Yes, the game should have an almost endless gear grind, but with poor itemization, there's a very limited set of gear they can offer players. Even 'sets' of gear are lackluster and barely feel like an upgrade. Legendary gear is just sightly better than the greens it just replaced.

Check out the forums a little more before commenting 'these are not the droids you are looking for'. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So because it's a MMO it needs to have a gear grind? Again, there are different type of MMos. They don't have to be all wowclones and actually they aren't.
    The fact that you want it to be one, doesn't mean anything at all

Just because I said it needs better gear itemization, you twerk it into lulzwowclonezderp? I think you are barking up the wrong tree chihuahua.

How deep and articulated. Hmmm go back to wow I suppose it's the expected answer?
    Or would you like something more 'personalized'?

*Fixed*

And allow me to interject before your senseless, baseless, and personal attacks bring on a ****storm: Why was this thread started? Done.

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And it really never did in any TES game. I think you are looking for a gear grind type of game, TES is normally oriented at horizontal growth and player skill, the opposite of what you are looking for apparently

Yes and no. I've been playing ES games since Morrowind, but the difference here is this is a MMO, not a single player RPG. Yes, the game should have an almost endless gear grind, but with poor itemization, there's a very limited set of gear they can offer players. Even 'sets' of gear are lackluster and barely feel like an upgrade. Legendary gear is just sightly better than the greens it just replaced.

Check out the forums a little more before commenting 'these are not the droids you are looking for'. I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So because it's a MMO it needs to have a gear grind? Again, there are different type of MMos. They don't have to be all wowclones and actually they aren't.

Just because I said it needs better gear itemization, you twerk it into lulzwowclonezderp? I think you are barking up the wrong tree chihuahua.

How deep and articulated. Hmmm go back to wow I suppose it's the expected answer?

*Fixed*

And allow me to interject before your senseless, baseless, and personal attacks bring on a ****storm: Why was this thread started? Done.

You call me a chihuaha and then talk about personal attacks. Ok. Reported for trolling
  • orablast
    orablast
    ✭✭✭
    I personally enjoy the idea of crafting sets giving a better edge than drops and I hope that it is here to stay. I don't want to be locked down to only raiding to obtain the best gear.

If you want to rush to VR12 and not work on any crafting, by all means that is your choice. You still have a shot at looting epics from bosses and you can always pay someone to craft your set gear.

You are not required to put points into crafting to begin working on your traits, plus, you can always respec into crafting after unlocking your traits.
    Guild Master of Thornblade
    Daggerfall Covenant
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are left with nothing to do because nothing in game is interesting for them.

People are saying wow clone because nowhere else the gear grind is such an end in itself for most of the playerbase. So when you say you want gear grind as a form of content it is the first thing that comes to mind.
  • Ruddertail
    Ruddertail
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that raid gear needs to be better, but on the other hand it shouldn't be BETTER than crafted gear. Maybe just make it as good but with a different style, or have it drop fully upgraded.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should go the esthetic route, treating RAID gear as skins.
    You could even get it mirrored or a 6+2 that gives more reliance
    Edited by mutharex on 27 May 2014 12:46
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    [Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 27 May 2014 14:00
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 27 May 2014 13:58
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭

*Fixed*

You call me a chihuaha and then talk about personal attacks. Ok. Reported for trolling

Back to the topic at hand, skinning I think is a poor idea. That only caters to the wowtransmorglulzkiddies (oh look I used your mentality).

Gear, in ESO, the MMO, needs more/better itemization. More stats, better stats, more substantial epic-ness. The gear looks great already, very ES-esque.

I think ZOS missed the mark on this one when creating a 'too-likened-to-skyrim' MMO. This has been long evident since the game's inception and was talked about a lot in beta. Now it's turning up again...hmmmmm.

Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on 27 May 2014 13:59
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please no gear grinds...they are boring and repetitious. There are plenty of games with gear grinds. They all end the same way, someone standing around a main hub saying look at me I've spent time in video game(btw which I will never get back) and im wearing cool pixelated semi realistic clothing/armor. So I'm better than you attitude. (Whispers. Just like in WoW) LOL.

Gear grinds are so 00s....old and boring.
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    Please no gear grinds...they are boring and repetitious. There are plenty of games with gear grinds. They all end the same way, someone standing around a main hub saying look at me I've spent time in video game(btw which I will never get back) and im wearing cool pixelated semi realistic clothing/armor. So I'm better than you attitude. (Whispers. Just like in WoW) LOL.

LOL! Great post!!
    One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭

How else do you suggest furthering & bettering your character at max level?

• Sturmwaffel
    Sturmwaffel
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the old days, FFXI had a pretty interesting merit point system at max level. Of course gear is always nice, but I think a new skill point/attribute point system at veteran rank would be nice. Just a thought.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, MMOs were about horizontal development, virtual worlds and the trip not the destination. hell, they still are crappy wowclones excluded....
  • zinoviy22b14_ESO
    zinoviy22b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    In FFXI level 35 set could be seen being worn in the hardest dynamis.. Also people could trade ultra rare sets.

I remember someone lending me their blessed set to go do Maatt. That set was VALUABLE, and they lent to to me with just "please send it back after you're done".

Also level 45 stats were the best. Especially +2 light +2 dark staves.
  • orablast
    orablast
    ✭✭✭

That is an easy one, work on crafting. Also, I did a few xp grind groups in Craglorn and found plenty of epic drops in just a few hours. So, I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.

If you want crafting sets, then you'll have to put the work in like everyone else, and not mindlessly follow grind groups around killing the same bosses repeatedly

Guild Master of Thornblade
    Daggerfall Covenant
  • Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    orablast wrote: »
    I personally enjoy the idea of crafting sets giving a better edge than drops and I hope that it is here to stay. I don't want to be locked down to only raiding to obtain the best gear.

If you want to rush to VR12 and not work on any crafting, by all means that is your choice. You still have a shot at looting epics from bosses and you can always pay someone to craft your set gear.

You are not required to put points into crafting to begin working on your traits, plus, you can always respec into crafting after unlocking your traits.

How it is now is perfect.. Veteran sets are really nice but dont have traits, crafted do.. keep it like this :)
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, you guys realize that by design, endgame crafting is better than anything youll find in a dungeon right? You discover the craft locations and stack the traits you want and enchantments you want. Warlock set is an exception because it is a cool set, but crafting is just better.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭

better as in producing bigger numbers? Not at all.
    better as in more options: skill points, new emotes, Armor Skins, Skill Lines, Access to content etc.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How about opening up new areas, geared to your level, it doesn't always have to be about rewards...my goodness gear grinding is like a hartz dog treat. Here you go...nice doggie go get the shiny! Come on you can acquire cool items with out growing your character in power. I don't have a fresh idea, other then gaining more power is not always the answer. I do know this MMORPG has always been about the journey not the END. I don't have any respect for those people who rush there and then cry about being bored. Maybe I'm just slow to level, I'm taking my time on purpose. I intend to stroll through this game.
  • Mission
    Mission
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wish eso would get rid of the gear grind entirely for stat gear. Leave the gear making to the crafters and make raid drops purely cosmetic. So, while you may not become all powerful with raid loot, you can still show you accomplished a raid without raiding being a necessity for everyone. I hate that crafters tend to become 2nd rate at end game. Raiding isn't all mmo's need to be about.
    Edited by Mission on 27 May 2014 13:32
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say, dual character development was a awesome choice, get to a certain level and change the type of character you were. Only one other game I played had that.
  • Zakua
    Zakua
    ✭✭✭
    MKLS wrote: »
    Good - ZOS promised that this game would not be all about the raiders only having the best sets of armour and that the crafters would be viable and useful end game.

Personally I hope that that stays and they don't give into the pressure from the endgame raiders.

Endgame raiders are welcome to cosmetic changes - unique dyes, titles, pets and other such stuff to prove how leet they are - not to mention having the pride of being the top of the weekly leader board etc when ZOS have actually got the balance sorted so it takes longer than 11 minutes to finish a trial but there is no need for them to get better stat gear than the crafters - as its the crafters that have spent months gaining the skills to make the pieces in the first place.

Those that say that raiders should get better gear because they spend XX hours together with a group of people which need organisation I would answer with crafters have spent 100's of hours farming mats and building skills etc - just because its a different play style does not mean only one playstyle should be rewarded.

Agreed and the OP also touched on the cosmetics idea.

I like a little grind here and there but I love the fact I can get my hands on and craft anything in game and it will be a viable piece of armor or a weapon.

They could make all sorts of things drop from the big boss fights. What about a Kit system...it's a Kit that provides a certain cosmetic and/or stat to the items you craft out of it, maybe has limited runs (1 - 5 or something). You could craft a weapon and some armor pieces or just 5 armor pieces then go back out for another Kit farm run to get your complete set.

I'm all for cosmetics as a drop. They could add in more fire,frost,lightning animations / effects as cosmetics you apply to your weps...much more then just armor colors...
  • Darkro
    Darkro
    ✭✭✭
    I have cleared the Aetherian Archieve trials multiple times, and hopefully clearing He Ra Citadel later as well.
    The most disappointing thing is that the last boss loot is souldbound and CANNOT be traded between the participants of the trial/kill. The boss only drops one item. You get an additional item first time a week when you complete it from the quest you get at start but basically overall you get one item per run.
    The worst part is that it’s very random and doesn’t drop based on what class you are or build or anything, so after quite a number of runs, I have no item that is of any use for me (I only got melee stuff) and others that need melee stuff got caster stuff.

Out of 12 people and quite a few runs, only 2 people got 1 item that they actually wanted or have any use for. So it’s probably a less than 1% chance to get an item you want, and that percentage goes lower and lower as you actually might get an item you want, because then you might get duplicates of something you already have.
    I would assume you need around 200 + runs to get a 5 piece set you want.

Guess we will wait and see.
  • Kalann_Pander
    Kalann_Pander
    ✭✭✭
    With ESO, Zenimax tried to bring under the same banner (at least) 2 very different types of players. This thread (and quite a few others) show that it ain't gonna be a faceroll. :o

For myself, still strollin' around on my first char with my self-made Magnus' Seducer set, and enjoyin' every bit of it o:)

Guess all I need is 2 Warlock rings and a necklace :p
    Opinions are like buttholes : Everybody has one, and they usually stink.

3 things to reduce stamina/magicka imbalance :
    - Use magicka to block abilities costing magicka, instead of stamina.
    - Add % damage reduction to heavy armor.
    - Add block penetration to 2H.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    been saying this since beta..

BUT BBUT BUT THEY SAID CRAFTED GEAR WOULD BE BETTER!

the end game is all stick an no carrot I dont see how they didn't see this. I know they are trying to do things different but making it where the hardest pve stuff in the game doesn't give you the best pve gear means everyone will follow the path of least resistance.

Sure you will do the dungeons and raids once or twice for fun to see content but after that you already crafted and bought BIS. What then?

In FFXIV before they relaunched crafted gear was better than dungeon and raid gear and NOBODY did dungeons and raids.... that went well right? It was part of the problem.

Crafted gear being better only works if some of the materials MUST be obtained within the raid.

Thanks for pointing this out in a civil way OP this really needs to be looked into. I'm game for a relaunch but at the very least it needs to be reworked and drops tweaked.
    Edited by Laura on 27 May 2014 13:53
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »
    been saying this since beta..

BUT BBUT BUT THEY SAID CRAFTED GEAR WOULD BE BETTER!

the end game is all stick an no carrot I dont see how they didn't see this. I know they are trying to do things different but making it where the hardest pve stuff in the game doesn't give you the best pve gear means everyone will follow the path of least resistance.

Sure you will do the dungeons and raids once or twice for fun to see content but after that you already crafted and bought BIS. What then?

Try the same content with worse gear, or underleveled twinks
    Go PVP
    Help lower players
    organize guild events
    Do content with less players than it is designed for
    take part in roleplay events
    network in guilds, play together
    do some content you have not done (e.g. some quests, they are ok in small doses ^^)
    try to beat leaderboards
    check if a dk twink is really so OP
    learn all crafts
    etc. etc.

If you stop having fun, cancel sub and leave.
    Edited by Kililin on 27 May 2014 13:57
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    Kililin wrote: »

I guess this sums it up! Either pay $15/mo for mindless, un-engaging content in a RPG world or don't. Altho, I have a feeling a lot have already done this. My launch-of-game guilds as an example are barren. All 5 of them.

• reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If gear is the reason to play a game i would recommend a gear grind game.
    End game gear is crafted in some games. In others it was that way and the Release of Trials of Atlantis killled much of the playerbase.

If a game does not intrigue me on other levels it is basically bad. (Disclaimer: for me, i am not a fan of progressquest or wow)

Good old Trials of Atlantis... the first step down a dark and twisted road to doom. I don't know which was worse, the artifact leveling or 200 man boss beat downs to unlock OP abilities.

yup, this is when I quit DAoC
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭

I guess this sums it up! Either pay $15/mo for mindless, un-engaging content in a RPG world or don't. Altho, I have a feeling a lot have already done this. My launch-of-game guilds as an example are barren. All 5 of them.

Sure it does, for me the content is worth 15$ easily, i am having fun.
    Also i am not happy if this game loses subscriptions, but it would be stupid to be paying for something that does not deliver for you.

I went to a gym chain once, and the gym near my company was really nice and always had free cardio equipment and enough squat stations. I happily paid their 20€ fee. After my workplace changed, the new gym sucked balls, always had to wait everywhere, could not do my program in time etc.
    So i canceled sub.

It is the same here, as long as i enjoy the things i can do ingame i will pay, if it is no longer enjoyable i cancel.

The game is product like many others, but people get attached to it because through skinner box design they have a feeling they worked for something and wont give it up because they will lose something they achieved.

But its all virtual, the only thing you can take out of a game is enjoyment during the time you are playing it. If it is not what you get, you are spending your free-time very badly.