Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I wanted to be paladin, but I ended up a gimped wizard

aleister
aleister
✭✭✭✭
When I rolled my templar, I envisioned a heavy-armored paladin type character using a 2H weapon. I got to about level 30 with that and it pretty much became a brick wall, so I respecced to the destro/resto/light armor build that everyone recommended. That has gotten me to VR1 and I think I could probably keep muddling through with it, but it isn't the play style i wanted. I tried going back to 2H/heavy, but it just doesn't work against VR mobs. 2H attacks are too slow and even with heavy armor & all my attr points in health, they burn me down too quick in melee.
  • thebigMuh
    thebigMuh
    ✭✭
    I'm currently at VR11, Templar with Greatsword, and all Heavy Armor except for cowl and skirt (because of style!). No Destro staff skills, no Mage's Guild skills.

Takes a special kind of crazy to play that, but it is possible.

Ciao, Muh!
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    This paladin concept was introduced in WoW with the retribution tree, I am sorry that this game is not WoW.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Jim_McMasterub17_ESO
    Zepheric wrote: »
    This paladin concept was introduced in WoW with the retribution tree, I am sorry that this game is not WoW.

*spit take*

OmG ..ten year olds... Yup, introduced by WoW...omfg this is not even worth the time I've spent replying to this ludicrous statement.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you really just say that WoW invented paladins? Astounding.
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭

LOL. That is all.
    Edited by Chrysolis on 26 May 2014 19:22
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not, name another game that has a utilizable 2h paladin skill tree that came out before and after WoW.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    Is it not, name another game that has a utilizable 2h paladin skill tree that came out before and after WoW.

Dungeons and Dragons and Everquest, to start. Your comment was very ignorant; sometimes it happens. Just do your research and come back.
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    No I didn't read it more carefully I said "This paladin concept" meaning the 2h wielding glass cannon.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeons and Dragons, where WoW based all of their designs.

Possibly even EQ after DnD.

Any assortment of games produced, both single player and paper and pen, in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Ummm. EQ had Paladins long before WoW, and a great number of them utilized 2h weapons to great benefit. My memory is failing being an old man and all, but I am also pretty sure there were AA trees for such a thing that came out with PoP, but again, I could be mistaken.

Sure, WoW might have expanded on that, but I find it pretty funny how WoW receives too much credit where it is really not deserved.
  • JosephChip
    JosephChip
    ✭✭✭
    I agree on the fact that heavy armour melee playstyles are simply not good enough when compared to light armour magicka builds. I am on the same boat. I started off as Dragonknight, wanted to create an heavy armour melee knight and ended up a light armour staff mage. Something needs to be improved or changed about the whole magicka build vs malee stamina based.
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I'm actually wasting the time to argue with you, but nobody said glass cannon. Heavy armor does not imply glass cannon. Perhaps you ought to read more carefully.
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the skill level needed for a 2h paladin in EQ is far greater than this game, and would likely make these others cry about difficulty still. Which is the OP's problem.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭

Ummm. EQ had Paladins long before WoW, and a great number of them utilized 2h weapons to great benefit. My memory is failing being an old man and all, but I am also pretty sure there were AA trees for such a thing that came out with PoP, but again, I could be mistaken.

Sure, WoW might have expanded on that, but I find it pretty funny how WoW receives too much credit where it is really not deserved.

I played a Paladin in Everquest; their epic weapon is Fiery Defender - a two-handed sword.
  • brian.loefflerb14_ESO
    brian.loefflerb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Goin to the OP's post. I also play a 2H wielding Templar, trying to be a Paladin. I wear 4 pieces of heavy and three pieces of Medium for some crit.

Also took skills and passives from the Fighters guild tree for "Turn Undead" and extra damage against undead and Daedra. I have enchants on my gear for magicka and use Javelin and the Aedric spear with an AOE Heal as my ultimate.

at VR1 about to be VR2 and I feel very comfortable with the skills/stats I have chosen. Im not squishy, and do a decent amount of damage.
    A Lawful Good Templar
    does not mean
    a Lawful Nice Templar
  • tanthil
    tanthil
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole heavy armor/2hand wielding concept was introduced in the picture/class description you see when creating a templar
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    Glass cannon implies that you have some utilizable skills going into a fight but quickly lose sustained DPS, which has plagued DPS paladins for awhile.

I say WoW because that is more comparable to this game than EQ1 which is frankly 2 generations ago.

But again my point was, this build is not necessarily meant to be easy, and in any MMO (at least for a long time) this build was HARD and meant to be tough to play.

I need to clarify what I said, I don't think WoW invented the paladin I merely meant the concept that you could be a 2h paladin and be successful as another mainstream DPS class is not true in this game (and used to not be true in the other games it originated from)
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    Again, Zepheric, he never claimed to want to be DPS; that's where your argument is falling apart. I don't think it really is meant to be that hard to play, it' more likely that ZOS just has yet to balance everything correctly.
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    My argument falls apart because he failed to specify something that should be fairly obvious?

He didn't say he couldn't tank, he didn't say he couldn't heal he said he couldn't kill things fast enough.

Kill = damage
    fast = time

Damage per Second

He is totally talking about DPS.
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure, I thought Tolkien got all his ideas from playing WoW?

• Birfreben_Kinghelred
    Glass cannon implies that you have some utilizable skills going into a fight but quickly lose sustained DPS, which has plagued DPS paladins for awhile.

No, glass cannon implies you deal lots of quick burst damage but die just as quick.
    Rogues/casters are glass cannons, paladins are not.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysolis wrote: »
    Again, Zepheric, he never claimed to want to be DPS; that's where your argument is falling apart. I don't think it really is meant to be that hard to play, it' more likely that ZOS just has yet to balance everything correctly.

I get Zepheric's point, I think. Two-handed classes generally are considered 'damage' classes in other games.

But heavy-armor classes generally aren't considered 'glass cannons', either.

Sadly, in ESO, many of those preconceptions are out the window, as two-handed users seem to have just as much damage output as dual wield and sword and board, and heavy armor wearers seem to have just as much tank as light and medium armor wearers.

If I had decided to try a 'paladin' route, my concept would be sword and board, heavy armor, debuff and group heals/buffs. Templar would 'seem' to be a perfect fit.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    aleister wrote: »
    I tried going back to 2H/heavy, but it just doesn't work against VR mobs. 2H attacks are too slow and even with heavy armor & all my attr points in health, they burn me down too quick in melee.

"He didn't say he couldn't tank, he didn't say he couldn't heal he said he couldn't kill things fast enough.

Kill = damage
    fast = time

Damage per Second

He is totally talking about DPS."

You're projecting Zepheric. He never said that. Stop trying to be "right" all the time and just admit when you've made a mistake, it's more respectable than rambling on about the same false point.

Edited by Chrysolis on 26 May 2014 19:43
  • Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    I am not rambling, I made logical points but you are just attacking me personally.

Are you going to counter my logic as to his subject matter pertaining to DPS?
    Sanguine's Tester
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not attacking you personally, I very clearly addressed your point.

This is me now attacking you personally: Your reading comprehension skills need significant improvement.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrysolis wrote: »
    I'm not attacking you personally, I very clearly addressed your point.

This is me now attacking you personally: Your reading comprehension skills need significant improvement.

Reading comprehension: the other half of the battles the Joe's didn't tell you about!

XBOX NA

• Birfreben_Kinghelred
    I am not rambling, I made logical points but you are just attacking me personally.

Are you going to counter my logic as to his subject matter pertaining to DPS?

I will.
    aleister wrote: »
    When I rolled my templar, I envisioned a heavy-armored paladin type character using a 2H weapon. I got to about level 30 with that and it pretty much became a brick wall, so I respecced to the destro/resto/light armor build that everyone recommended. That has gotten me to VR1 and I think I could probably keep muddling through with it, but it isn't the play style i wanted. I tried going back to 2H/heavy, but it just doesn't work against VR mobs. 2H attacks are too slow and even with heavy armor & all my attr points in health, they burn me down too quick in melee.

health + armour = dps? never.

• Zepheric
    Zepheric
    ✭✭✭
    Lets break this down

My first post = all over the place

Your first posts = attacking my post and ignorance

Then I clarified that I was talking about 2h Paladins which are classically DPS paladins where a tank or even a healer would have sword/mace and board.

You know this.

I called paladins glass cannons because historically they have a lot of burst DPS and not much after that.

It seems however that terminology is wrong so let me retract that statement and replace it with WET NOODLE.

The OP also clearly mentioned the fact that his weapon is slow, and when you weapon is slow you don't do much damage.

Seems a large part of this problem is damage, but thats not the only problem.

He was concerned about his survivability, which the heavy armor should give him.

So there, I admit I made a mistake.

You attacked me personally.

Sanguine's Tester
  • snowmanflvb14_ESO
    snowmanflvb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

actually, it was EQ that introduced it many years before WoW
    Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!
  • fenweeneb18_ESO
    no-tears-fellas_o_3043881.jpg