Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dark Talons: More overpowered than ever before

Evergreen
Evergreen
✭✭✭
Something really needs to be done how overpowered Dark Talons is in PvP after the damage buff in the last patch. Since Dragon Knights cry the loudest about any nerfing at least make the skill Immovable counter all CC including Dark Talons.

Here is what PvP against Dragon Knights has looked like for me post patch.

[img][/img]mty2s0.jpg
  • harleysub17_ESO
    Two lowest damage in your recap. I'd say that BT needs a serious buff!
  • YuccaPalm
    YuccaPalm
    ✭✭✭
    WOW 380 dmg for a spell which costs about the same magicka and becomes useless when u dodge roll and Unstable flame 55 dps damn!.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Dragon Knight thinks it's a Nightblade.

Nerf Nightblades.
  • jy82988ub17_ESO
    Resilience will fix it
    Edited by jy82988ub17_ESO on 26 May 2014 01:00
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So youre not bothered by the other two abilities that hit you for twice as much as Talons.....Interesting.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭

Nerf Nightblades.

Except we don't have an AoE CC which damages and cannot be countered by the CC immunity skill Immovable.

I propose a completely fair solution that includes no nerfs. Simply fix the CC immunity skill Immovable so that it counters Talons. How is that unreasonable?
    Edited by Evergreen on 26 May 2014 01:08
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

The big problem with Talons was the lack of counter play.

Adding an immunity during dodge roll and a decreased radius has perfectly fixed the problem.

As the OP of the 50 page thread that raised the issue, I now consider it well balanced.

Also, @ZOS_NickKonkle‌ , I'd like to point this out as an example of how balance should be done, so bravo. Not huge changes. Not changes to the very nature of the skill. Just incremental changes and changes to the supporting mechanics, rather than the skill itself (eg. dodge roll immunity.)
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    No.

The big problem with Talons was the lack of counter play.

Adding an immunity during dodge roll and a decreased radius has perfectly fixed the problem.

As the OP of the 50 page thread that raised the issue, I now consider it well balanced.

Also, @ZOS_NickKonkle‌ , I'd like to point this out as an example of how balance should be done, so bravo. Not huge changes. Not changes to the very nature of the skill. Just incremental changes and changes to the supporting mechanics, rather than the skill itself (eg. dodge roll immunity.)

Should Talons be excluded from the CC immunity you get from Immovable?
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Evergreen‌

Its not just Talons, its all immobilizes and roots.

Those are considered "soft CC" since they don't prevent you from attacking, just walking. "Hard CC" like stuns, knock down, knock backs, disorients, can all be CC broken and given immunity from Talons.

So ya, I think its fine. Same as with Encase, Bombard, Incapacitating Strikes, Stampede, ect.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    @Evergreen‌

Its not just Talons, its all immobilizes and roots.

Those are considered "soft CC" since they don't prevent you from attacking, just walking. "Hard CC" like stuns, knock down, knock backs, disorients, can all be CC broken and given immunity from Talons.

So ya, I think its fine. Same as with Encase, Bombard, Incapacitating Strikes, Stampede, ect.

Maybe I should stop blowing my stamina on Immovable then since Talons will always make you unable to move and save it all for dodge rolls.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evergreen wrote: »

Nerf Nightblades.

Except we don't have an AoE CC which damages and cannot be countered by the CC immunity skill Immovable.

I propose a completely fair solution that includes no nerfs. Simply fix the CC immunity skill Immovable so that it counters Talons. How is that unreasonable?

It was a joke.

I play Nightblade.

I was mocking the fact we get nerfed before our passives get fixed. So may as well nerf us some more.

For funs.
  • Mykah
    Mykah
    ✭✭✭
    They need to make Talons blockable.
  • JosephChip
    JosephChip
    ✭✭✭
    They reduced their radius. How does that make them more op than ever exactly? And your image... they dealt little damage to you. I thought this thread was sarcastic. Really some people will always complain about anything they can think of.
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    As a DK who faces DKs often I can tell you that Talons is not OP at all anymore.

1. It has a reduced radius.
    2. It does a total of like 400-500 damage (if you stay in it the entire time).
    3. It costs a lot to use.
    4. Roll dodge negates it's effect and grants immunity to future talons for 2 seconds.

I suggest rolling out of it, using ranged attacks, and playing a little smarter. Talons is nothing special anymore.
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest rolling out of it

Immovable is my main CC defense. Its really horrible to waste the huge stamina cost on Immovable to find out it has no effect on Talons making it so you cannot move.

Like you said the only solution is save stamina for dodge rolls or switch to ranged specs. I'm thinking about just giving up trying to make melee spec work on a Nightblade and do bloodmage/healer builds. I know we do pretty well as healers.

• vicNBitis
    vicNBitis
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest just making a DK. Having leveled two NBs I know it's not what an NB wants to hear. And I know that most people who have leveled an NB think "I'm not doing this again!" but it's not this. Really, it's not. Leveling a DK is nothing like leveling an NB. You get Talons at level 6-8 and you faceroll from then on. There are farming spots where you can literally get multiple levels an hour. No, that wasn't a typo. Multiple levels an hour. And they require no glitching, exploits, abuse of any kind. Only the OPness that is DK. You might as well do it now before Zenimax comes to their senses and nerfs DK into dust.

• wolfe26ub17_ESO
    now I see where all the rediculous nerfing comes from. They just nerfed Talons this patch reducing it's area effect.

Dark Talons:
    This ability can now damage monsters with snare immunity.
    Fixed an issue where allies were not able to activate the synergy from Dark Talons.
    Reduced the overall radius.

where is the damage buff?

all I see is.... ' I lost and the skill that I grabbed from the list should be nerfed'

• Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭

all I see is.... ' I lost and the skill that I grabbed from the list should be nerfed'

I'm not saying nerf Talons just fix Immovable so that it counters Talons effect of making it so you are unable to move. Otherwise the massive stamina cost for Immovable is a waste.
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    The only fix that Immovable needs is to make it usable only while wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor.
    After that you'll die in Talons like the rest with your Light Armor.
    You'll be like "Uh, okay, I don't have CC immunity skills so it is normal that I die in roots" and 100% happy with the game.
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭
    ElSlayer wrote: »
    The only fix that Immovable needs is to make it usable only while wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor.

I don't see a problem with your idea and would give that much more reason to fix Immovable so that it countered Talons effect of making it so you cannot move.
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭

I don't see a problem with your idea and would give that much more reason to fix Immovable so that it countered Talons effect of making it so you cannot move.
    Actually "immovable" and "can not move" does not contradict each other.

I find it OK that Immovable doesn't give 100% immune to ALL CC (because i don't use it :trollface:)
    Otherwise it will be MUST HAVE button that in the end will be used by almost everyone.

Immovable counters something. Something counters Immovable. Seems fair enough to me.
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • hk11
    hk11
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not remove dragonknights from the game?
    That seems to be the general objective of a lot of people.
  • wpitterlb14a_ESO
    I'm still trying to figure out if the OP is trolling or not...
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks more like you got owned by vampire skills....
  • LordEcks
    LordEcks
    ✭✭✭
    Actually "immovable" and "can not move" does not contradict each other.

I find it OK that Immovable doesn't give 100% immune to ALL CC (because i don't use it :trollface:)
    Otherwise it will be MUST HAVE button that in the end will be used by almost everyone.

Immovable counters something. Something counters Immovable. Seems fair enough to me.

This.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Vamp drain/stun is what won the fight, sir.
    Edited by Skjlvald on 26 May 2014 07:53
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • ForTheRealm
    ForTheRealm
    ✭✭✭
    Skjlvald wrote: »
    Vamp drain/stun is what won the fight, sir.

I am pretty sure you are right: DK casted Talons, and then Vamp drain which stun the player and kept him inactive, and then Swarm and Unstable Flame to DPS.

It is much easier to fight against DK right now, cause they need to get very close to you to actually root you with the talons. If the player keeps distance, DK will burn Magicka very fast.

• Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭

It is much easier to fight against DK right now, cause they need to get very close to you to actually root you with the talons. If the player keeps distance, DK will burn Magicka very fast.

After wasting a huge chunk of stamina cost casting Immovable then being immobilized anyway by Talons doesn't seem fair to be working as intended. With Immovable not countering Talons effect of making it so I cannot move keeping my distance is what I'm going to have resort to in PvP.
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    After wasting a huge chunk of stamina cost casting Immovable then being immobilized anyway by Talons doesn't seem fair to be working as intended. With Immovable not countering Talons effect of making it so I cannot move keeping my distance is what I'm going to have resort to in PvP.

Immovable was never intended to stop movement impairing effects (think about it, it's from the heavy armor tree). It blocks knock backs and disables.

And it's called immovable. Sounds like you were already immovable.
    Edited by Chrysolis on 26 May 2014 16:08
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭
    Chrysolis wrote: »

Immovable was never intended to stop movement impairing effects

In the skill description for Immovable it is described as granting immunity to disabling effects, hence you become immovable at the price of a massive stamina cost. How should this not counter the disabling effect of Talons?