Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Yes, Nightblade is primarily rogue. Stop saying otherwise.

bg22
bg22
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not talking about what is broken or not, I'm just sick of ppl saying "stop thinking NB is supposed to be a rogue class".

-It is called "Nightblade".
-We have a "shadow" skill tree.
-We have an "assassination" skill tree.
-We are displayed in character creation as a medium armored, dual wielding type.

So stop. Just stop.

It is in fact primarily a rogue class. Yes, you CAN be a healer. Yes you CAN be a tank. But Those are not the PRIMARY roles of this class.

• Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just like other classes can be healer, tank (no more bashspamming tanks QQ LoL), but agree. rouge class till first move is done. after you did the first attack from stealth, you are no more than a lolblade compared to other classes 1 on 1.
  • Akhratos
    Akhratos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not like ZOS rewards anything besides magicka spellspam builds.

Dont rage, simply flow how they want you to. Wear a light, cap armor like a boss, win.
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kypho wrote: »
    Just like other classes can be healer, tank (no more bashspamming tanks QQ LoL), but agree. rouge class till first move is done. after you did the first attack from stealth, you are no more than a lolblade compared to other classes 1 on 1.

I play a medium armor, dual wield NB and ROFLstomp ppl 1v1. Melee spec'd Templars that know how to play put up the best fights.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play what you want. My NB is a tank role.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is an Archer. Quit trying to tell me how to play the game. It's my game and I'll play how I wan't to.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 18:25
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pknecron wrote: »
    Mine is an Archer. Quit trying to tell me how to play the game. It's my game and I'll play how I wan't to.

Archers are also rogues.

Also, where did I tell anyone how to play? I wish you could -1 people on these forums. I made a post about how ppl refer to the classes MAIN function.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 18:26
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Flawed logic is flawed.

But hey, so what level do dragon knights get their flying dragon mounts though? Dragon... Knight, right?
    "QUIT CRYIN'! Do some pushups or something!"

Grayfield - V2 Breton Nightblade
    Windspike - 40 Bosmer Sorceror
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    bg22 wrote: »

Archers are also rogues.

Mines a Ranger thank-you. I don't use the rogue skills much from the NB trees.

Moderator edit: Removed quoted content from another moderated post.
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on 24 May 2014 18:27
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is an Archer, so STFU. Quit trying to tell me how to play the game. It's my game and I'll play how I wan't to.

Archers are also rogues.
    Your father never called you "son", did he?

Do you even comprehend what you're saying?

You say "Nightblades" aren't rogues, then say you don't use the rogue skills from the Nightblade tree.

Brilliant.
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flawed logic is flawed.

But hey, so what level do dragon knights get their flying dragon mounts though? Dragon... Knight, right?

I guess they don't have abilities where they sprout dragon wings and breath fire either?
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is an Archer, so STFU. Quit trying to tell me how to play the game. It's my game and I'll play how I wan't to.

Archers are also rogues.
    Your father never called you "son", did he?

Your a bow based NB? Completed VR content with that bow of yours?
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I choose not to call my nightblade a rogue. That limits what she can do way too much so no I will not make that claim about that class.
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not talking about what is broken or not, I'm just sick of ppl saying "stop thinking NB is supposed to be a rogue class".

-We are displayed in character creation as a medium armored, dual wielding type.

So stop. Just stop.

It is in fact primarily a rogue class. Yes, you CAN be a healer. Yes you CAN be a tank. But Those are not the PRIMARY roles of this class.

The night blade skill trees can be considered rouge type skills yes.

However people can play the game and put no points into their nightblade skill trees, and choose to wear heavy armor and and 1h shield and become a tank. It doesnt mean they are a nightblade tank. It means they are a tank that just happened to select the nightblade skill lines.
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »

So stop. Just stop.

However people can play the game and put no points into their nightblade skill trees, and choose to wear heavy armor and and 1h shield and become a tank. It doesnt mean they are a nightblade tank. It means they are a tank that just happened to select the nightblade skill lines.

Are we talking about Nightblades general purpose or weapon/armor general purpose?

Nightblade. We're talking about the PRIMARY generalization of this classes skill equaling "rogue". Nothing more.

I never said that they can't play anything but rogues, in fact I stated the opposite.

I would love to see the SAT reading comprehension scores of this community.
  • subecsanur
    subecsanur
    ✭✭✭

So stop. Just stop.

Ditto, what was depicted and promoted can not be applied hence when ppl say its is playable it is only after creative attempt to go outside of the box to achieve it. Hence it should not be this way!
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, folks. We wanted to pop in and let you know that we've removed and edited some material from this thread for flaming. Please ensure all future posts are within the parameters of our Code of Conduct. Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Noctisse
    Noctisse
    ✭✭✭
    bg22, when making a thread trying to prove something in a forum, try to calmly reason with people instead of responding aggressively to everyone who disagrees with you, or who does not seem to get what you are trying to say.
    Repeatedly being sarcastic and insulting the intelligence and comprehensive skills of others does not prove your point, it only makes you sound like an angry teenager.
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Flawed logic is flawed.

I guess they don't have abilities where they sprout dragon wings and breath fire either?

Ha, touche. Though that doesn't explain the "Knight" portion of the name. Bah, details though...

Anyway, my Nightblade is not a rogue. (I can't find a definition that fits here, but let's continue to assume that you're meaning the term "rogue" as the melee, high ST damage spec's that we've grown accustomed to.) Yours can be one, that's cool with me. It just means you've built it to be one, not that it was one as soon as you created it. Err... wait! Were you able to stealth and deal extraordinarily high ST damage right out of the Wailing Prison?? Oh, you must tell me what addon that is.

The names of my inherent skill trees don't define my role. I mean, I've also got an inherent skill tree with both a taunt and damage mitigation in it... I'm not a tank.

Funniest thing about this thread though: Initiating it by telling people to stop talking about something, and then completely engaging everyone that continues talking about it. You crazy forum dweller, you. :smiley:

Edited by Sleepwalker on 24 May 2014 18:40

• Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does it matter what we call it? Seriously?
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flawed logic is flawed.

Ha, touche. Though that doesn't explain the "Knight" portion of the name.

Anyway, my Nightblade is not a rogue. Yours can be though, that's cool with me. It just means you've built it to be one, not that it was one as soon as you created it.

The names of my inherent skill trees don't define my role. I mean, I've also got an inherent skill tree with both a taunt and damage mitigation in it... I'm not a tank.

Funniest thing about this thread though: Initiating it by telling people to stop talking about something, and then completely engaging everyone that continues talking about it. You crazy forum dweller, you. :smiley:

(Yea, I'm dwelling here so long as I sit at this yard sale with my fiancé, lol)
    But again, I never said that you can't play other ways. Again, I said the opposite of that. Again, I just said the class itself, (most of the class skills) are rogue based.

Not tellin' anyone how to play, I'm just saying that the primary use of the Nightblade CLASS SKILLS are geared towards being a rogue. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Morrowind:
    Nightblades are spellcasters who use their magics to enhance mobility, concealment, and stealthy close combat. They have a sinister reputation, since many nightblades are thieves, enforcers, assassins, or covert agents.
    uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Nightblade#Nightblade

Major skills include things like mysticism and illusion, minor skills include things like light armor, destruction magic and bow.

From Oblivion:
    Spell and shadow are their friends. By darkness they move with haste, casting magic to benefit their circumstances.
    uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Nightblade#Nightblade

Skills include things like alteration, light armor, destruction magic, and restoration magic.

It might also be worth pointing out that both games also have separate classes called Rogue and Assassin.

While Nightblades obviously have similarities to traditional rogues, I don't think the class is exactly what many players think they are. I'm guessing that the general vagueness and the mix of skills used by Nightblades in the Elder Scrolls games provide the rationale for Zenimax going with this title for the class instead of simply Rogue or Assassin.

Edit: I guess I might also add that I play mine as a pretty straight forward rogue, making little use of siphon abilities, and I have plenty of success.
    Edited by joshisanonymous on 24 May 2014 18:43
    Fedrals: PC / NA / EP / NB

• WilliamTee
    WilliamTee
    ✭✭✭
    My main is a NB... and yeah, he's a full on 'Rogue'-esque character.

A pitch black khajiit with dual-wield/dual-wield and mostly medium armor. I wasn't feeling overly original that day... plus i love how he plays (when his skills choose to work).

However, I can tell you I'm very much looking forward to levelling up another Nightblade with the intent of being pure tank with heavy armor, sword and board, and an avoidance/siphoning focus.

That's really not too rogue-like at all.
  • Turkwise
    Turkwise
    Soul Shriven
    You're basing your entire argument off labels and default previews, instead of actual game mechanics.

Not a recipe for a winning argument.
    Edited by Turkwise on 24 May 2014 18:51
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    Again, I just said the class itself, (most of the class skills) are rogue based...
    I'm just saying that the primary use of the Nightblade CLASS SKILLS are geared towards being a rogue. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, you didn't say that in the OP. Let's go back and look at the original post and its title... <reads> Nope, nothing about "rogue based" nor "geared towards" a certain role. Sure, I see the synergy between the concept of a "rogue" and the nightblade class. Makes sense. I also see the concept of a "siphoning-type tank" and a "siphoning-type" healer. And as it just so happens, those roles are viable. If you only see/saw "rogue", that's cool. But there's no need to make demands of the community on account of your closed mind. Cheers! :smile:

<reads more> Edited for flaming on the first page of your own thread. *snicker*
    Edited by Sleepwalker on 24 May 2014 18:59

• Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Archaon wrote: »
    Not like ZOS rewards anything besides magicka spellspam builds.

Dont rage, simply flow how they want you to. Wear a light, cap armor like a boss, win.

Game should be renamed Elder Magikca Online
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turkwise wrote: »
    You're basing your entire argument off labels and default previews, instead of actual game mechanics.

Uh... What? I'm specifically talking about class skills as well.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is not a rogue. He's a hunter, assassin, hitman for hire. Murder and mayhem. But not theft. I don't steal.

With that said, let's fight the argument: if you let these traditional mindsets bog you down, than some player who would otherwise enjoy the class building it how THEY want (i.e. Heavy armor siphon with two-hander and volcanic rune) is being told he's wrong.

He's not, of course. This game isn't built that way. If they wanted us to be rogues, they could have very easily called us rogues. Or thieves. Instead, they came up with a fairly ambiguous title for the class that *hints* at assassins and dark plots, but then gave us class skills that are so broad we can do everything from tank to heal, etc.

Don't get focused on trying to force others to think of nightblades as rogues. You may think that way, but not everyone does.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Lodestar
    Lodestar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is not a rogue. He's a hunter, assassin, hitman for hire. Murder and mayhem. But not theft. I don't steal

Yeah, damn right. Nice to see someone with morals. :smiley:
  • Turkwise
    Turkwise
    Soul Shriven
    Turkwise wrote: »

Uh... What? I'm specifically talking about class skills as well.

Well, tanking and healing are usually done mainly with skills that every class has access to. (guild, weapon) Class abilities/passives support those roles. Nightblade has some abilities that support those roles very, very well. Such as tanking with Siphoning Strikes.

The question isn't "what are NB abilities geared toward?" but "what roles do NB abilities support?" Synergy between various abilities is an important part of any build, and NB abilities provide some rather interesting possibilities.
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »

So stop. Just stop.

Are we talking about Nightblades general purpose or weapon/armor general purpose?

Nightblade. We're talking about the PRIMARY generalization of this classes skill equaling "rogue". Nothing more.

I never said that they can't play anything but rogues, in fact I stated the opposite.

I would love to see the SAT reading comprehension scores of this community.

(Roughly) 50% of the population have IQs below the average! ;)