Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Would you still play if this game went free to play?

david271749
david271749
✭✭✭✭✭
Many people are expecting this game to go free to play. Will it happen? How soon do you think it will happen?
Edited by david271749 on 24 May 2014 06:40

Would you still play if this game went free to play? 499 votes

Yes
30%
Terminusmoonsugar66ZephericGallegofinchch_ESOmw8472_ESOindytims_ESOMrausetiPVT_PartsOMGr8573VeritasObscurajimstr_ESOlunarulSakiriapplecheezeb14_ESOMaverick827brat158b14_ESObust4343b14_ESODaethzDarkstorn42 151 votes
No
69%
methodofmind_ESOMablungWintersageKorereactorSirAndyElloaThe_DrexillVivilaLauraNaughtyDogGwarokAriaTopAce6Spiritreaver_ESOtilolyen_ESOItsMeTooakemp333_ESOr.ridenbaugh_ESOShillentheyancey 348 votes
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Never for the sake of it.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    probably not.

Then again , i would see first decide later.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • ZeroInspiration
    ZeroInspiration
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would still play it, but only if they don't drastically change the way it is now. But I'd hate to see the game go down that route.
  • akemp333_ESO
    No
    No

I don't need to bother with another pay to win game.
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I know it's sad, but I'll probably play this to hold myself over until a real Elder Scrolls game comes out.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.

There's enough bots already.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Undecided. I wouldn't have any objection to them offering a limited version of the game for free (like Blizzard does with WOW's trial accounts).

As long as by paying a subscription fee you bypass all of the normal "free to play" stuff, I would be ok with it. Sony kind of did this with EQ. You can play for free, but you miss out on a lot of stuff you can only get by subscribing.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Absolutely not. F2P models are always horrendous and makes even the epic fails ZOS has made so far pale by comparison.

id be out of here fast
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Voted no. IMO, any pretense of caring about doing a quality job by the devs would fly right out the window.

@‌ This
    I know it's sad, but I'll probably play this to hold myself over until a real Elder Scrolls game comes out.

In the bug/glitch department, TESO is already a full fledged member of the TES dynasty id say.
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Voted no. IMO, any pretense of caring about doing a quality job by the devs would fly right out the window.

@‌ This

In the bug/glitch department, TESO is already a full fledged member of the TES dynasty id say.

True, but at least most of them can be fixed at the user level.
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    True, but at least most of them can be fixed at the user level.

No disagreement for me on that point. Hell, look at the whole hullabaloo over vampire changes. They should have just drafted Brehanin, the Skyrim player who made the Better Vampires mod, to handle the vampire skill line in TESO. It would have be balanced AND hellabadass from the start.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Would you still play if this game went free to play?

If?

You are adorable. :D

This game was designed to be a F2P game. Just look at the bank system, the expensive....everything.

Yes, my friend, this will go free to play.
    Edited by Blackwidow on 24 May 2014 07:08
  • Preachan
    Preachan
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah, if they use a fair model. Buy to play would work for me.
    A true F2P too.

"F2P" with the need to pay for every damn thing - nope. Nope nope nope.
    Edited by Preachan on 24 May 2014 07:06
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Eh, maybe. The only reason I play it now is because it's been paid for and I feel like I should try to get the most out of it.
    If it were free, I wouldn't have that commitment and I certainly wouldn't play even half as much as I do now.
    QQing is a full time job
  • p.hurst1b16_ESO
    p.hurst1b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I do not play free to play games.

F2P's are all the same. Frustrating.

I would leave instantly. When Rift went F2P I stopped playing and I had been on that game since the very beginning.

<Enigmatic Name> Is poaching new guild members again ! Apply on our webby with your CV and proof of identity and we can arrange an interview with a panel of our officers.
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I played SWTOR when it went F2P for about 3-4 months (1-2 times a week 4-5 hour sessions), then got super bored. Went back last week just to see if any interest was rekindled... none. F2P will suck all the fun out of this already great MMO.
    "To steal from a god is most unwise" -Nocturnal
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I do not play free to play games.

F2P's are all the same. Frustrating.

I would leave instantly. When Rift went F2P I stopped playing and I had been on that game since the very beginning.

Yeah. What happened to Rift when it went F2P? Why did they do it? I was really into that game at launch, then went to Los Angeles for a vacation. I don't know why, but I never logged back in.
  • Asasinka
    Asasinka
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It doesn't matter,
    I'll enjoy it the same way I enjoy it now. Can't see any reason to judge it because of availability.
    If you dive deep into theese forums, you have to notice that many players are just too much "sharp edged" - change this, change that, I won't play if ..., I will play it only if ..., I'll cancel my subsciption and so on.
    They just take it too much seriously. It's just entertainment!
    I bet they take their life also that much seriously and then wonder why they aren't happy.
    There are things you can't change no matter how you try, just because it IS that way. Deal with it or just don't care, nothing between.
    If you like this game, you will play it and nothing will change your mind.
    If you expect something else, you will always find a reason not to.
    I'm fighting for a higher purpose
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    No
    if it went F2P they would have to get rid of most of the development team because they couldnt' afford them anymore. software engineers in DC area typically make 120k-150k if they are even halfway decent.

that's part of the reason the updates from F2P games are like every 3 months.

and then the cash shop..you would end up paying the same, if not more than the monthly fee.
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I just have this really strong hunch the game will go free to play before console release, if they're still planning a console release.
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Not to mention some F2P turn games into a P2W (Pay to win) which is the worst type of F2P.
    "To steal from a god is most unwise" -Nocturnal
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    if it went F2P they would have to get rid of most of the development team because they couldnt' afford them anymore.

ESO programmers hard at work. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flgoDc9igs
  • WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I hate all f2p mmo's.
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    No
    No i will stop the game in that case.

Free to play mean free to play for some, but the sub is bought anyway by someone to sell it in the game currency.

That means new currency (or some kind of item) between the real one and the game one.

I believe too that Free to play communities are the worst ones.

I've seen free to play where they sent you every week emails to tell you to go to the cashshop for new offers and all. Quite annoying. And many other bad things...

I want pay my sub and be quiet in the game, i want free DLC every 6 week, i want a staff with a salary so they are proffessionals, not some random, keep it like that !

"Free to try first" could be a great idee instead.
    Edited by Mendra on 24 May 2014 07:31
  • Ketobbey
    Ketobbey
    ✭✭
    No
    f2p = fake progress + money
    Edited by Ketobbey on 24 May 2014 07:32
    Ketobbey On SoundCloud <-- click to hear the unique music I produce. And it's my own music. I don't sample or DJ I produce from scratch. The music you will hear is perfect for running around ESO. There is a playlist with 1 and a half hours worth of my music for you to listen to. Enjoy and thanks for all your support.
  • pahajuju
    pahajuju
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.
    Should have been a b2p from the start.
    EU server, and loosing interest in the game.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, unless they oull a SWTOR and nickel and dime you for *everything*.

And maybe then well see grouping in the main quest lines and less of a slogfest in VR. You know the f2p wont stand for it.
  • randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO
    No
    If it became f2p, it will be filled with more bots and kids who think they're old enough to play the game.
  • Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Just no.
  • davidpop
    davidpop
    Soul Shriven
    No
    No, i hate micro transactions, so annoying to be constantly asked for money, they are even in my single player games these days.