Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Bash damage has been reduced way too much

• Dimar
    Dimar
    ✭✭
    "That said, I agree 100% with this change to bash. It makes more sense this way, from a balance perspective. Bashing should NOT be a DPS increase of large proportions, not even for tanks. It should be a casting interrupt that does slightly less damage than a normal weapon strike. The fact that they continue letting it do more damage to targets that get interrupted is a nice, generous bonus on the part of ZOS."

If it can't or shouldn't do DPS, then what exactly is the point of spending extra points in it? If, as a tank, I can't spend points to better my Bash, what would I spend points on, healing? Get real!
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bash is not supposed to deal damage, it interrupts... it was doing more dps than any other weapon. I know its hard going from broken and overpowered mechanics to normal ones but you will adjust.

Also, sword and shield has too many defensive buffs to let it do more damage than DW or two handers.....
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭
    They should just change deadly bash to deadly sword and add some damage increase there.
    Edited by ShintaiDK on 24 May 2014 17:08
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dimar wrote: »
    "That said, I agree 100% with this change to bash. It makes more sense this way, from a balance perspective. Bashing should NOT be a DPS increase of large proportions, not even for tanks. It should be a casting interrupt that does slightly less damage than a normal weapon strike. The fact that they continue letting it do more damage to targets that get interrupted is a nice, generous bonus on the part of ZOS."

If it can't or shouldn't do DPS, then what exactly is the point of spending extra points in it? If, as a tank, I can't spend points to better my Bash, what would I spend points on, healing? Get real!

you are one of those ppl who want to do more damage than any DPS focused ppl with weapons what supposed to do more damage than nubbash, and tank like a god? visit a doctor ASAP. Bash is fixed, move along, or vanish. Ballance was needed, got it, now get a tissue box and continue.
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dimar wrote: »

Guess what. Those points you're spending on the bash passive? You're not meant to take the passive for the damage bonus it gives to bash. Did you miss that it also gives a HUGE cost reduction to it? THAT is why you take that passive, because with it, bashing to interrupt costs less stamina, allowing you to go further using your stamina resource for other things, such as blocking in order to not die and weapon skills.

People, bash should NEVER do more damage than an actual basic weapon strike. Ever. Bash damage being negligible now is NOT the reason you can't kill 3 mobs in VR anymore. Sure, it's the immediate reason, but the core cause of the problem is NOT that bash doesn't do enough damage.

Do you want to know why you can't kill 3 mobs in VR anymore? The real reason? It's because weapon skill trees are ENTIRELY underbalanced. They're weak, pathetically so, compared to class spells. At Stamina cap with base magicka, my class spells as a Night Blade do as much damage as my strongest weapon skills. It is very blatantly unbalanced, and THIS is the problem.

So, as I said, bash should not do more damage than a single basic weapon strike. However, weapon strikes, and weapon skills, are REALLY pathetic right now and need a substantial buff to bring them in line with Magicka-based skills.

Your problem is not that bash was nerfed. It is not Bash vs. Other Weapon Damage. Your problem is Weapon Damage vs. Spell Damage.
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭
    Vandril wrote: »
    People, bash should NEVER do more damage than an actual basic weapon strike. Ever. Bash damage being negligible now is NOT the reason you can't kill 3 mobs in VR anymore. Sure, it's the immediate reason, but the core cause of the problem is NOT that bash doesn't do enough damage.

Oh I agree. But since the line is so broken as it is. A lot of players suddenly stand without DPS means.
  • Reenlister
    Reenlister
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as I had said before, I am a Temp Heavy Tank. I agree the bash was in need of a nerf, it was pretty powerful as a assault. My only gripe here post nerf is that my sword is still basically useless. Now I am not out to be a DPS, if that were the case I would have tried for DPS. The problem lies in that now I have no real damage at all. My sword does not hit in a range above what my bash does to make sense. A sword should be able to cause some degree of damage to the mob, especially enough to at least hold its attention. As it stands now its like hitting with chopsticks.
    Now in grouping its not such a big deal, as long as you can still actually hold the agro and do what your out to do, which is Tank, but the real problem lies in that in solo mode, your really kind of out on a limb. Granted, I have done well so far, its just that it takes a bit longer to kill, and in all honesty I have not been in since my brief foray after the patch, but the bottom line is, without making it the new DPS a sword should actually cause a bit more damage than it stands, it is after all a sword.
  • Haurt
    Haurt
    Soul Shriven
    It is taking some major effort, but I am adjusting. It's still taking 3x-4x as long to kill a 3 pack but it is manageable, only up side is on the tougher mobs now I can drain them TWICE!! Lol in all seriousness though it is possible to solo still but at a major cost to my time, if I pull more than a 3 pack it gets very hairy and depending on the makeup 3 packs can kill me. Still need to find a stamina based ability to pump out some extra damage instead of all magicka skills for dps.
  • KraidenDove
    KraidenDove
    ✭✭
    I have an idea. Do what I did today. I had a group of pyros that did insane amounts of dps damage through aoe burns. My sword is little more than a stat stick and with no bash and increased stamina to block, I aggroed everything in the room, ran towards my group, and then left. The literally screams of them being overwhelmed was THE MOST HALARIOUS THING I have heard since bash.

SWORD AND BOARD USERS. You are now tanks. Yes, you and I built dps powertanks that in no way were suppose to be the main tanks of the group. However, these WoW fanatics have insisted that our builds were too powerful and must be made into tanks as their creativity only involves a stick and magic abilities when concerning dps in ESO. Therefore, as we have been forced to be tanks and now we must level our characters painfully alone through the veteran zones, screw em over folks. When you get through craglorn "tank" the hardest thing you can find and kill them off. You are the group leader now, make these wonderful folks lick your boots for the privlidge of working with the immortals that you are for having to not only remake your entire character halfway through your vet content, but kill them off just to show how worthless and replaceable they are. Its what they want, just read the comments about us having to L2P! Time for them to L2DIE! LMFAO.