The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Official Discussion Thread, "Dungeon Divers Rejoice! The Undaunted Celebration Event Returns!"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
f7rwc7zt6txt.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "Dungeon Divers Rejoice! The Undaunted Celebration Event Returns!"

"Get bonus rewards when you explore Tamriel’s four-player dungeons during the Undaunted Celebration in-game event."
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on September 19, 2023 1:22PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are the Dreadhorn, Meridian, Coldsnap, Y'ffre's Will, Drowned Mariner, Blessed Inheritor and Scribes of Mora Styles not listed as possible rewards? The section about the Opal Monster Mask Pages also omits Swarm Mother.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like this event should be re-evaluated for future years.

People mainly do dungeons for stickerbook and motifs. For stickerbook, it would've been nice to get double drops. The current event structure just guarantees players will farm the beginner dungeons. DLC dungeons are the real valuable ones, and without double drops or similar incentives, they're not going to be farmed as heavily. For motifs, not all motifs are dropping, and there should be double drops for motifs when farming that specific dungeon.

The rewards just aren't there for me. Probably going to pass on participating.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    I feel like this event should be re-evaluated for future years.

People mainly do dungeons for stickerbook and motifs. For stickerbook, it would've been nice to get double drops. The current event structure just guarantees players will farm the beginner dungeons. DLC dungeons are the real valuable ones, and without double drops or similar incentives, they're not going to be farmed as heavily. For motifs, not all motifs are dropping, and there should be double drops for motifs when farming that specific dungeon.

The rewards just aren't there for me. Probably going to pass on participating.

I think the event is mostly good for people who want to farm motifs for resale on guild traders.
  • JavaRen
    JavaRen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run dungeons anyway it is extra swag for doing so. If you don't do dungeons maybe this will be the reason you try some. All in all a fairly chill event that just happens in the background for me.
  • FireBreathingNord
    FireBreathingNord
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    f7rwc7zt6txt.jpg
    This is the official discussion thread for, "Dungeon Divers Rejoice! The Undaunted Celebration Event Returns!"

"Get bonus rewards when you explore Tamriel’s four-player dungeons during the Undaunted Celebration in-game event."

Could we consider expanding the opal monster mask style page drops to include DLC dungeons in future events.

If opal style pages could also drop for monster helms styles from DLC dungeons, it would provide much more exciting and worthwhile rewards to earn. Those newer monster helms are much rarer, so having opal variants would give us coveted new goals to work towards.

Adding opal versions of all dungeon monster helms, both old and new, would encourage replaying a wider range of dungeon content. And collecting all would feel much more prestigious and fulfilling if it incorporated both base-game and DLC monster helm styles.

Please consider expanding the opal style pages in future events to include DLC monster helms. As a long-time-completionist-player, this small change would get me, and new players alike, very enthusiastic about re-running dungeons to earn these rare new rewards. Thank you for your consideration!
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little disappointed this event starts just a day after Starfield's release. I wouldn't mind as much if it lasted longer than just 12 days.

I also understand them not including the motifs from the latest 2 sets of dungeons, but Dreadhorn, Meridian, and Coldsnap not being included is kind of weird.

I always look forward to the Undaunted events, running dungeons with my crew is my favorite activity on ESO, but the event starting so soon after the release of another game from a Zenimax studio and not lasting a long time is a bummer.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for editing out the "guaranteed chance" phrasing!!!

But could you please now explain "CAN include ... a GUARANTEED drop ..."

:)
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    For stickerbook, it would've been nice to get double drops. The current event structure just guarantees players will farm the beginner dungeons. DLC dungeons are the real valuable ones, and without double drops or similar incentives, they're not going to be farmed as heavily.
    Is this not double drops?
    After you have defeated your first final dungeon boss each day, keep going! Subsequent final dungeon bosses reward regular Undaunted Reward boxes, which can include the following goods:

A guaranteed drop of an item set piece from the dungeon in which the box was acquired.

• LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    f7rwc7zt6txt.jpg

Could we consider expanding the opal monster mask style page drops to include DLC dungeons in future events.

If opal style pages could also drop for monster helms styles from DLC dungeons, it would provide much more exciting and worthwhile rewards to earn. Those newer monster helms are much rarer, so having opal variants would give us coveted new goals to work towards.

Adding opal versions of all dungeon monster helms, both old and new, would encourage replaying a wider range of dungeon content. And collecting all would feel much more prestigious and fulfilling if it incorporated both base-game and DLC monster helm styles.

Please consider expanding the opal style pages in future events to include DLC monster helms. As a long-time-completionist-player, this small change would get me, and new players alike, very enthusiastic about re-running dungeons to earn these rare new rewards. Thank you for your consideration!

they already did velidreth so they are doing that
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    and let's not forget Lord Warden
  • FireBreathingNord
    FireBreathingNord
    ✭✭✭
    Those ones are already in existence, rather than being new. @laniakea_0 @LunaFlora
    Edited by FireBreathingNord on September 6, 2023 11:11AM
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my most hated event - I don't really find the four person dungeon set-up much fun. Oh well..... Witches next, I guess? I love that one :)))
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For stickerbook, it would've been nice to get double drops. The current event structure just guarantees players will farm the beginner dungeons. DLC dungeons are the real valuable ones, and without double drops or similar incentives, they're not going to be farmed as heavily.
    Is this not double drops?
    After you have defeated your first final dungeon boss each day, keep going! Subsequent final dungeon bosses reward regular Undaunted Reward boxes, which can include the following goods:

A guaranteed drop of an item set piece from the dungeon in which the box was acquired.

Unfortunately, I don't think that those drops are curated, so it is good for dungeons you have a lot missing from, but eventually, it becomes just as randomly useless as dungeon treasure chests the more gear you have in your stickerbook.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I may be remembering wrong, but I think the double drop last year was curated.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would've been nice to get double drops

Uh, you do effectively get double drops, as of last year's Undaunted Event.

The reward coffer that you get for killing the final boss will contain a CURATED piece of gear. So, in a way, it's like getting a double drop from the final boss. The hardest pieces to collect for the sticker book are the weapons, and once you have all the body pieces collected, the reward coffer will effectively be a curated weapon drop.

None of this is new; the curated reward coffers were in place for last year's event, and plenty of people used it to help complete their sticker books in a wide variety of dungeons.

To say that the event is unrewarding for dungeons that are not FG1 is patently false.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't think that those drops are curated

They absolutely are curated.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • FireBreathingNord
    FireBreathingNord
    ✭✭✭
    There appear to be divided perspectives regarding whether the curation system applies to this year's Undaunted event rewards. According to some opinions, the event provides extra item drops, however these are not curated and can include any reward regardless of a player's existing collections. The implication seems to be that curation does not function as expected for the additional drops gained during the Undaunted event.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There appear to be divided perspectives regarding whether the curation system applies to this year's Undaunted event rewards. According to some opinions, the event provides extra item drops, however these are not curated and can include any reward regardless of a player's existing collections. The implication seems to be that curation does not function as expected for the additional drops gained during the Undaunted event.

The people who are spreading misinformation about the lack of curation are people who haven't actually tested it.

I first tested the curation during the PTS before last year's Undaunted Event. I completed the sticker book for over a dozen dungeons with the help of curated coffers during last year's Undaunted Event.

I never once saw an uncurated drop from an event coffer for a dungeon where I was still missing gear, and the people who farm the Undaunted Event with me last year never saw any anomalous behavior.

The coffers are curated.
    Edited by code65536 on September 6, 2023 2:58PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To anyone who is thinking about posting that they wish drops were curated, I would recommend reading the posts @code65536 has made in this thread.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    it would've been nice to get double drops

Uh, you do effectively get double drops, as of last year's Undaunted Event.

The reward coffer that you get for killing the final boss will contain a CURATED piece of gear. So, in a way, it's like getting a double drop from the final boss. The hardest pieces to collect for the sticker book are the weapons, and once you have all the body pieces collected, the reward coffer will effectively be a curated weapon drop.

None of this is new; the curated reward coffers were in place for last year's event, and plenty of people used it to help complete their sticker books in a wide variety of dungeons.

To say that the event is unrewarding for dungeons that are not FG1 is patently false.

Well, consider me proven wrong! I totally misread it, thanks for setting that straight for me. Going to farm SCP, SWR, and WGT.
    Edited by Destai on September 6, 2023 4:32PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

The people who are spreading misinformation about the lack of curation are people who haven't actually tested it.

I first tested the curation during the PTS before last year's Undaunted Event. I completed the sticker book for over a dozen dungeons with the help of curated coffers during last year's Undaunted Event.

I never once saw an uncurated drop from an event coffer for a dungeon where I was still missing gear, and the people who farm the Undaunted Event with me last year never saw any anomalous behavior.

The coffers are curated.

I mean, I don't consider me saying "I don't think" is me spreading misinformation. Just a misunderstanding as I barely had a chance to do the event last year due to travel. No need to throw accusations around over something so trivial that you already pointed out as wrong.
    Edited by jaws343 on September 6, 2023 7:07PM
  • JavaRen
    JavaRen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is no one asking the burning question: what exactly is a "Dungeon Diver" and how can I get started diving in dungeons?
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    JavaRen wrote: »
    Why is no one asking the burning question: what exactly is a "Dungeon Diver" and how can I get started diving in dungeons?

Go to Graven Deep.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually say "dungeon crawling," but "dungeon diving" is a well-established term:

https://thatcasualgamerguy.com/2022/09/30/dungeon-diving/
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to Graven Deep.

Or go to Coldharbour and visit the Vaults of Madness. There's that awesome dive that always makes my stomach do flips.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Those ones are already in existence, rather than being new. @laniakea_0 @LunaFlora

@FireBreathingNord
    "Please consider expanding the opal style pages in future events to include DLC monster helms." since you said this i just thought you didnt know we already had velidreth or lord warden
    those come from dlc dungeons so they're clearly adding opal styles for dlc dungeons too
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    those come from dlc dungeons so they're clearly adding opal styles for dlc dungeons too

Have added.

It's literally from one dungeon in the oldest DLC in the game and another dungeon from the oldest dungeon-DLC. There's 26 more DLC dungeons.

It's time to add more. I fully understand the question from FireBreathingNord.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »

Have added.

It's literally from one dungeon in the oldest DLC in the game and another dungeon from the oldest dungeon-DLC. There's 26 more DLC dungeons.

It's time to add more. I fully understand the question from FireBreathingNord.

Opal Earthgore style items were added to the game recently in Update 39, but they are clearly not dropping in this event. I don't know if that's "we were planning on doing Bloodroot, but then changed our minds and decided to do Darkshade instead" or if that's "we'll be doing Bloodroot for next year's event".

Some years ago, they would add multiple new Opal styles during the Undaunted event, but my guess is that their feedback/metrics showed that this was perhaps too overwhelming for players (I mean, it wouldn't be if the drop rates for masks weren't so insultingly low), so they've switched to just one new Opal per year and returning Opals to pad out the offerings.

The problem with one new Opal per year is that if you make it a DLC one, then people will cry about accessibility (having to pay for the DLC, the general higher difficulty of DLC vets, and the 300 CP requirement for using the Activity Finder for DLCs), so I suppose the safer thing to do is to do a non-DLC.

I think the best solution is to go back to the original system of having multiple new Opals each year, so that locking some behind a DLC won't sting as much. And then increase the drop rates so that it's not so overwhelming for players to collect so many pages.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way would be to increase drop rate for everything during the event instead of putting main reward in event boxes that u can just farm in the easiest dungeon in the game.
    Buff motifs to 50% drop chance on normal, 100% on vet and 2 pages on HM and it will be actually about running dungeons.
    The same can be done with drop chance for mask, 5% on normal, 10% on vet or something like that.
    Replace motifs in boxes with materials for potions, crafting, treasure mats, transmute stones, stuff that u need for doing dungeons every day.
    But oh well, im not hoping for anything.
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    laniakea_0 wrote: »
    Why are the Dreadhorn, Meridian, Coldsnap, Y'ffre's Will, Drowned Mariner, Blessed Inheritor and Scribes of Mora Styles not listed as possible rewards? The section about the Opal Monster Mask Pages also omits Swarm Mother.

Circling back to this.
    @ZOS_Kevin is this a typo or is there actually a good reason why these motifs aren't in the box?