The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Inventory issues.....

Vedauwoo
Vedauwoo
✭✭
I dunno, perhaps I should not be crafting early on....or perhaps one is only supposed to concentrate on one discipline at a time?

But...inventories are killing me....The bank is not large enough to hold the raw materials for more than one crafting professiona at a time....if I load up those items on one of my characters, i end up with a 10 item pick up limit....

Just seems like I constantly have to stop questing, go to a city, drop items, switch characters, pick up items, craft, drop items in bank, go back to questing for 20 minutes, repeat....

Am I just playing wrong or does it just suck this bad??
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to have all crafts on the same character, but it's very VERY taxing on your inventory. My suggestion: at least for now try to create one character per craft or two. Buy at least the first inventory expansions from the bag merchants and visit the stables each day to level up your carrying capacity.

If you don't want mules (I have a few, but that's because I no longer play those characters) then try to make a race/class that you might want to play later. Leave plenty of room in your bank, then when you want to play with a character dump all the stuff they're carrying into the bank, and take it out again before logging out. That way you can play 8 "mule" characters using your bank as a sort of buffer for your inventory.
    Options
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    You tried buying more inventory space? Or a horse?
    Options
  • Soriana
    Soriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the unadvertised mini-game inside the game called...the inventory game!

Welcome to ESO; working as intended.
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just seems like I constantly have to stop questing, go to a city, drop items, switch characters, pick up items, craft, drop items in bank, go back to questing for 20 minutes, repeat....
    Sounds about right.

I have all crafts maxed on one character, and it was not easy, always bumping into inventory. Hopefully, you are already taking advantage of what is available to increase space, i.e. buying bag, bank, and mount space, using alts to store mats. That's really all you can do, other than make good choices about what to hold. Style and trait stones take a lot of room, hold only those you really use, store the rest on an alt if you must keep them. Same goes for consumable crafts. All three can be advanced using just a few mats, just a lot of them. Store excess on mules. Bank only the highest level mat you are currently skilled for in equipment, mule the rest. Don't keep stacks of jute and maple if you are working on heavy leather and hickory. Know that having all crafts on one character gives you a character that will be useful for as long as you play, since it can support 7 other characters that can focus on only combat skills. I am bringing up several alts using sets crafted by my all-in-one, and they all kick butt. Good luck.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it takes a while to sort things out in a way that works for you.

I have two characters that craft, one does Blacksmithing, Woodworking and Clothing and the other does Enchanting, Provisioning and Alchemy. Some of their craft stuff they carry and some they put in the bank.

I also have alts that hold certain types of materials and items when they are not out questing.

There's an addon called Bank Manager that allows you to create a profile for your characters that specifies exactly what gets put in the bank and what stays in inventory, and it makes your time at the bank much shorter.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options
  • psicorpb16_ESO
    psicorpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I sympathise with op, I play about 2 hours a night and am currently leveling up a new char, got my last one to v6 so had gold to max out inv and bank on new one (hate the vet grind so stopped) , love levelling and cos I skipped all crafting first time am keeping stuff this time.

I spend one night questing and doing a delve (what was wrong with the word dungeon?)....anyway I digress, then the next night going through inv deconstructing and sorting out bank and trying to decide what to keep etc...

I guess I'm answering my own gripe while typing, I should concentrate on one thing but don't know what to choose.

More inv space would be nice though ! :)

TL:DR ignore me I'm babbling.... But what would be the best crafting for a Sorc (staff summoner)?
    Options
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Yeah, it takes a while to sort things out in a way that works for you.

I have two characters that craft, one does Blacksmithing, Woodworking and Clothing and the other does Enchanting, Provisioning and Alchemy. Some of their craft stuff they carry and some they put in the bank.

I also have alts that hold certain types of materials and items when they are not out questing.

There's an addon called Bank Manager that allows you to create a profile for your characters that specifies exactly what gets put in the bank and what stays in inventory, and it makes your time at the bank much shorter.

Bank manager is heaven and I highly recommend it; it will save you do much time, You literally open the bank and everything is taken care of for you in a second.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
    Options
  • Nerio
    Nerio
    ✭✭✭
    It essentially creates a soft cap for crafting. You have to focus on only as many as you can while still feeling your inventory is in a manageable place.

This game already gives you 3-4x more inventory slots than most MMOs do at the start, and all MMOs have 'junk' that will fill your inventory while you adventure around the world.
    Edited by Nerio on May 14, 2015 7:45PM
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nerio wrote: »
    IThis game already gives you 3-4x more inventory slots than any other MMO does at the start.

No, it doesn't.

In ESO you start with 60 spaces personal inventory, and then 60 in the shared bank.

In LotRO I start with 80 spaces of personal inventory, 100 spaces in my Personal Bank, and then a further 100 spaces in my Shared Account Bank, AND 40 places for cosmetic gear in my Wardrobe.

All The Best
    Edited by Gandrhulf_Harbard on May 14, 2015 3:08PM
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're trying to only craft, no. (Making gear for $)

Otherwise, keep level appropriate mats, perhaps one level ahead, and there is sufficient room to do most of what you want.
    • You're likely not wearing three weights of armor (crafted).
    • You're using limited foods/drinks - you don't need multiple (mats required) versions that have the same effects.
    • Alchemy has a small number of reagents and you only require a couple types of solvents.
    • Enchanting is the exception, assuming you're keeping a stack of everything.

Lose/sell the lower level mats, buy them back if you need to craft for an alt.

If you have a common guild bank you can trust, it's usually able to be overflowing with crafting mats, at least the common ones (base mats/style mats/even trait mats)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it sucks this bad......MULES is the easiest way. do the first two bag slot upgrades on each. Its cheap enough that way to get a bunch of extra slots.

The struggle is REAL.....you could try starting a guild as well just to have the extra space.
    Edited by Cuyler on May 14, 2015 3:26PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
    Options
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vedauwoo wrote: »
    I dunno, perhaps I should not be crafting early on....or perhaps one is only supposed to concentrate on one discipline at a time?

But...inventories are killing me....The bank is not large enough to hold the raw materials for more than one crafting professiona at a time....if I load up those items on one of my characters, i end up with a 10 item pick up limit....

Sadly this is the way Zo$ wants it....personally I can't understand why the *** they did it this way o.0...

I estimate at least 1/4 of my total "played" time since launch has been spent in the bank,moving items, and logging all my alts on and off,on and off..repeat nonstop.....

So yes..it does *suck this bad* :(
    Options
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can sympathize.
    I too must compulsively loot every container, harvest every resource, and pick up every shiny thing I see.

Hopefully they will take pity on us and make inventory and bank slots a crown store item.

There's an addon that will automatically return mail with the word "Bounce" in the subject. Me and my friends all run it. If I get full while dungeoneering, I just mail one of them some stuff to make temporary room. Then when I get back to town I can get my mail and deconstruct/bank/whatever.

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
    Options
  • psicorpb16_ESO
    psicorpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mules take time, being in a guild is a 2 way thing, I used to be in a great guild on my last char but again it takes time and I don't want to waste their time as much as mine , sorry to hijack the thread but is there anywhere for a very casual player with the maxed out inv & bank to look that wants to dabble in crafting (without taking all my play time) , I realise I might be asking the impossible.

Just want to quest and stuff and possibly help myself along the way by playing with the crafting system too,

Maybe I'm asking too much and should just wait for single player games (like witcher) but I do really love this world. (Or give up my job :smile:
    Options
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It indeed does "suck this bad". Inventory management in this game is a complete horror show.

I have 8 characters, only three of them are actually playable characters. The rest I use as "mules" to carry my various wares. The problem only gets worse the further in the game you progress and you get more set items from drops or crafting.

I will say that once you level up some of the crafting skills you'll stop having so many of the materials in your inventory. As a lot of them will no longer be needed once you hit end game. As in some provisioning ingredients are completely useless for some people so they won't even bother picking them. Personally I never pick up any raw mats I won't use - or won't make me some decent gold.

Really there needs to be a better way to manage inventory in ESO. More bank slots, more carry capacity, whatever it takes. The ONLY reason I actually want them to come out with player housing is in hopes that I can store things in my house that I rarely use.
    Options
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    The inventory management subgame is easily one of the worst features of ESO. It's a horror show from a game design point of view. I spend WAY too much of my game time inventory juggling. I have spent lots of gold on bag and bank upgrades, I try my best not to hoard, I vendor or sell via the guild store whatever I don't need, I use mules, I don't try and cover every craft. And still it's not enough, still I spend a large chunk of my game time micromanaging my inventory. Far more than most other MMOs.

Whatever the reasons they originally designed it to be so restrictive (not wanting players to be able to cover all professions? Database limitations? Sheer bloodymindedness?) inventory issues do NOT add enjoyment or entertainment value to the game. Many other MMOs have realised this, ESO is stuck in the dark ages.

What's needed is:

1) A Trophy Cabinet (to collect all those trophies that clutter up your inventory).

2) A proper materials bank that doesn't require third party addons to be functional.

3) Streamlining all the junk that drops from mobs, so that stuff stacks better and causes less clutter.

4) A proper wardrobe system where we can store gear we want to use for cosmetic purposes and have it modify our appearance. This should compliment, not replace, the existing costume system.
    Options
  • retyler3_ESO
    retyler3_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if inventory slots, in any game, were not priced at the high value as real estate in the real world. Find other means for money sink. Because it cost so much for inventory space I have several mules that I hope back and forth from. Like the OP I go out explore/quest until my bags are full, and then I'm heading back to town to deal with my inventory management. It's a pain to log in and out of 5 characters just to manage my inventory.
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerio wrote: »
    IThis game already gives you 3-4x more inventory slots than any other MMO does at the start.

No, it doesn't.

In ESO you start with 60 spaces personal inventory, and then 60 in the shared bank.

In LotRO I start with 80 spaces of personal inventory, 100 spaces in my Personal Bank, and then a further 100 spaces in my Shared Account Bank, AND 40 places for cosmetic gear in my Wardrobe.

All The Best

But you have to throw in how long LOTRO has been around. We can't say ESO 8 years down the road won't be the same in updates and that. Really hate when people compare an older game that had to go thru it's own growing pains and expect new releases to be like them.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vedauwoo wrote: »

I would invest in a pack horse early on.

Store your refined materials in the bank and keep your raw materials in your inventory. Collect only the provisioning materials you need to make the food you use.

Just some suggestions.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 14, 2015 4:21PM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled up two characters at almost the same time during the first two months and leveled all six crafts. Yes, I had to manage bank/inventory space and get rid of lower level matts (or move to a bank mule) as I went. I used almost all good left after feeding horse for speed to buy more inventory/bank space. No need to repair armor when leveling.

In the end my main has all 6 crafts fully leveled (though only points into armor and weapons) and the second character with the 3 consumable crafts.
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled up two characters at almost the same time during the first two months and leveled all six crafts. Yes, I had to manage bank/inventory space and get rid of lower level matts (or move to a bank mule) as I went. I used almost all good left after feeding horse for speed to buy more inventory/bank space. No need to repair armor when leveling.

In the end my main has all 6 crafts fully leveled (though only points into armor and weapons) and the second character with the 3 consumable crafts.

LOL wish I had the time to do that. With three grand kids 2 boys it sort of slows ya down. Get your playing in now when you have kids and then grand kids you lose the time you need to play fast. More so when one of the boys 4 years old has his own idea how you should play. :smiley:
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    But you have to throw in how long LOTRO has been around. We can't say ESO 8 years down the road won't be the same in updates and that. Really hate when people compare an older game that had to go thru it's own growing pains and expect new releases to be like them.

A Triple A game company should be able to learn from the mistakes of others, not spend 5 years making the same mistakes everyone else made half a decade ago.

One of the remarkable features of the human brain (indeed all higher primate brains) is we can learn by proxy; we don't only learn from direct, 1st hand experience.

A 20 minute perusal of the MMO Industry should have been enough for ZoS to conclude that the current inventory system is the very worst way of doing an MMORPG inventory, don't you think?

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A Triple A game company should be able to learn from the mistakes of others, not spend 5 years making the same mistakes everyone else made half a decade ago.

One of the remarkable features of the human brain (indeed all higher primate brains) is we can learn by proxy; we don't only learn from direct, 1st hand experience.

A 20 minute perusal of the MMO Industry should have been enough for ZoS to conclude that the current inventory system is the very worst way of doing an MMORPG inventory, don't you think?

All The Best

With the megaserver? I think they are testing that out more than worrying about bag space. Personally I do not have a problem with bag space but then again I use mules. People were and have been complaining about having separate servers and then having to transfer people from server to server when they start closing them to put more people on a certain server. This way they are learning with the megaserver and I hope lag issues get worked out but not from having less people on the server.

Saying all that I really do wish they would of had 80 slots instead of 60 when the game first went live. But even then am sure the banking, auction house guilds, and bag space cause some lag, more so when we add bag space to them. I would love to see megaservers used for all games even with WoW and it could cut down on half of their realms. I believe the future could be brighter for us with megaservers in all online games.
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the problem is inventory. I think the problem is that one of the more popular configurations (1H and Sword with Medium Armor) spreads over Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking, making people think they have to level all three from the start.

But I'd argue you don't really need to worry about any of them until level VR1. Work on Provisioning first, because it's the only one the game world doesn't want to help you with. If you have to have a second craft, Alchemy or Medium Armor.

Once you get to VR1, you can grind CP while working on one profession per week. Deconstruct, deconstruct, deconstruct.

You never need to work on leveling all six at the same time. I know people love to hoard what they think they'll need later, but after a while your possessions start to own you. Limit your savings to only the things that will give you a massive advantage later, and sell or discard the rest.

I spend one night questing and doing a delve (what was wrong with the word dungeon?)

A delve is a cave or hollow, which more accurately describes the environments.
    signing off
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL wish I had the time to do that. With three grand kids 2 boys it sort of slows ya down. Get your playing in now when you have kids and then grand kids you lose the time you need to play fast. More so when one of the boys 4 years old has his own idea how you should play. :smiley:

You speak like you expect everyone here are children. I know where I was when Neil took his first steps on the moon and I still work a full time job.
    Options
  • psicorpb16_ESO
    psicorpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ok sorry , I'm getting the hang of the lingo slowly, a delve is a kind of cave or hollow ... Ok ...

Anyway I guess the thing for me is I have a very limited time to actually play (I understand it's not the developers fault or problem of course) but I don't have a single clue of how which crafting to set my sights on or what 'stuff' to collect or ignore.

Yes I'm sure if I spent hours researching on wiki or reddit or my local supermarket I might get a better idea but I have such a limited amount of time I wouldn't mind just a little bit of guidance, and unless I'm a complete idiot (maybe) I've come across nothing in game tha gives me an Incling.

I don't want to be spoon fed content but I've been here on and off for a while and still feel like it's just 'grab everything, mess around, and see what happens'

Maybe I just haven't enough time...... But I do love this game world.
    Options
  • psicorpb16_ESO
    psicorpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Vedauwoo , seems I killed your thread, didn't mean to
    Edited by psicorpb16_ESO on May 14, 2015 7:14PM
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    My advice, banking alts. As you upgrade your bank and your main character you can decommision the bank alts. There's a super nice addon that let's you set filters for automatic transfer of items between bank and character for quick banking business.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know where I was when Neil took his first steps on the moon and I still work a full time job.

Heck, I saw the rocket carrying them lift off from the ground. I lived in Cape Canaveral (now I think the town is called Cape Kennedy) in the late 60's and early 70's when I was in elementary school.

OK, back on topic. I maxed out my bank to 240 spaces, I have two inventory mules with 170 slots, all 3 of my main crafters have 160 or 170 slots, and I have two other mules with 100/110 slots. I am still playing inventory shuffle on a daily basis. I am going to be retiring two of the mules soon and making characters on those slots. My two 170 slot mules can carry what the 100 slots mules have on them.

I keep one stack of each crafting mat in the bank (Enchanting, Provisioning, Alchemy, Trait and Style Gems/Raw Mats). That uses up 160 or so spaces alone. My Equipment Crafters carry the Tempers and the Refined Mats for what they make and nothing else but their equipment. That takes up a chunk of space, but they have bag space to go out and loot too, so it's OK.

I do agree that if your only crafting for VR14, or your current character level, you can cut down on the needed space. But, if you want to be able to craft for anyone or any level, your going to need space, and lots of it.

Edited by Nestor on May 14, 2015 7:41PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • psicorpb16_ESO
    psicorpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    And time.....
    Options