The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer PVE - Toolkit and design analysis

Fayaburn
Fayaburn
✭✭✭
Hi,

I will first start by saying that this thread's aim is NOT to compare the DPS output of this class with other classes. There are already enough threads trying to discuss that on this forum. Many people complain that Sorcerers are whining and focus only on DPS. Here is an attempt to outline whatever design flaws might handicap the Sorcerer class even if the other metrics seem fine in parallel.

The goal here is to discuss the design of the Sorcerer skill trees, their advantages and flaws.

Also, I would like to apologize in advance as english is not my native language so the following text might not be as clear as I would like it to be.

Finally, as it is stated in the title, the thread concerns Sorcerer in a PvE environment. I will not adress their state in Cyrodiil. Please keep that in mind while discussing here.

Daedric Summoning Tree
  • Greater Storm Atronach
    The skill is correct. A bit more DPS would be beneficial as it is a single target ultimate. That could be achieved by augmenting the Major berserk buff duration only for the Atronach after synergy. However, the ultimate would rely heavily on the synergy activation. Biggest current downsides are the fact that it is CC-able and triggers nocive enemy effects. Also, I am not sure anyone ever used the other morph as there is no serious reason to do so.
  • Volatile Familiar / Clanfear
    Clanfear is quite nice for lower levels soloing as it drags aggro from you. Not very useful however as the class got other (and imo better) survivability mecanisms. The DPS produced is marginal and not a reason to slot it. The heal on desummoning is a good idea, however the double nerf that followed burried it into the ground. A single target heal with a cast time of 1.3s (~2s with desummoning) is borderline useless, and we also lost Rebate in the process.
    Volatile Familiar was almost never used since it is still crippled by the chain summoning bug. The new 1.3s cast time made sure nobody will use it offensively anymore.
  • Deadric Prey / Velocious Curse
    Concerning the Prey, the modifications introduced with the apparition of this morph go toward the good direction. However, the damage bonus compared to a flat Force pulse is too low to be really considered. The pet damage buff could be nice if the pet damage wasn't such a small portion of the total parse. We have to remember here that we only have 5 slots per bar so every skill we slot much be beneficial enough to gain its spot. A solution could be to boost the damage of this morph only, or boost the pet damage further.
    Velocious curse is a nice skill for a burst combo in PvP even if making it blocable is quite sad.
  • Restoring Twilight
    The skill is pretty nice even if the pet DPS is not that good. The magicka regen buff is one of the very few utilities Sorcerer is offered but can't be stacked with other Sorcs.
  • Bound Armor / Bound Aegis
    The damage reduction buffs are anecdotic considering the skill constraints. It is slotted solely for the resource pool increase. Stamina users benefit from the Heavy attacks buff. A nice addition for the Aegis morph would be to grant Major Mending buff while toggle is on. More generally, I expect more from a toggle than what is proposed here.
  • Hardened Ward / Empowered Ward
    Very nice skill. Was powerful in 1.5, still is powerful with 1.6 and will be now used outside of Cyrodiil.
    The Empowered ward does not appeal me. In fact, the purpose of the skill is survivability, and for that Hardened ward is the superior morph. I would rather see the pet buff merged with the Daedric prey morph and replace Empowered with some stamina or tanking utility.
  • Passive : Rebate
    Took a big nerf. Used to be a good passive even if situational. It now became marginal.
  • Passive : Powerstone
    Good passive. Nothing to add there.
  • Passive : Deadric protection
    Heatlh recovery? Seriously? This stat is so useless in this game that it makes the passive null.
  • Passive : Expert summoner
    Mediocre passive. Range for atro? Move speed for clanfear...? Another borderline useless passive.

Dark Magic Tree
  • Negate
    Took a hard nerf with Update 6. Not sure what modifications would bring it back to an appropriate state. However its cost is currently too high for its effect.
  • Crystal Fragments / Crystal Blast
    Fragments is now a very nice skill. The cast time modifications allowed us to integrate it in a DPS rotation, thanks for that.
    Blast morph is still unused and could be reworked to add in the fields were Sorcs are lacking.
  • Encase
    The skill is in a better state than it previously was in 1.5. However, its use is clunky due to its cone shape and might need a bit of work in that area.
  • Rune Prison
    Seriously ? What are we supposed to do with that skill ? Never used it, never will unless totally reworked.
  • Dark Exchange
    Should have been a class defining skill. In fine, it is and can only be an out of combat skill. People who use it in Cyrodiil need to get out of the heat in order to. People in PvE do not use it at all, or just between two fights to replenish their resource pools. Also needs serious work and not only a few tweaks to values.
  • Daedric Mines
    Situational skill as it is used as an area denial in PvP. Could be nice to see a morph useful for PvE. Also, it should detonate on charging enemies.
  • Passive : Unholy knowledge
    Good passive. Nothing to add there
  • Passive : Blood magic
    Main buff introduced with 1.6 is the possibility to use Fragments in our rotations. Adds a small bit of survivability to the class. Not transcending but not useless either.
  • Passive : Persistence
    Could have been nice... if we used the skills that benefit from it. As most of this skill tree is unused or situational, the passive follows.
  • Passive : Exploitation
    Big nerf with update 6. Grants anecdotical utility to the class. I would rather see it grant Major Prophecy buff to the Sorc only for 10s. It would allow Sorcs to drop Inner Light and in the process help with the "too many toggles" syndrome.

Storm Calling Tree
  • Overload
    Can someone please explain me that skill goal? What was the true purpose imaginated when the skill was designed? It is seriously flawed and brings almost nothing to the table.
  • Endless Fury / Mage's Wrath
    Sorcerer's execute. The skill is okay. It biggest advantage is that you can precast it and therefore adds to the burst potential of the class.
    As previously stated in multiple other threads, a nice modification would be to see Endless fury cost decrease for each subsequent cast and Mage's wrath damage increase for each subsequent cast as well. A stacking mecanism would allow that and was already described before.
  • Thundering presence / Boundless storm
    Good modifications introduced with Update 6. The skill is now nice and balanced when considering cost vs effects.
  • Liquid Lightning
    The new Sorcerer DoT. Good modifications, nice skill. Biggest downside is the difficulty to aim it properly from max range. This could be adressed by increasing slightly its radius. Another modification could be to add some kind of smartcast mecanism. If the caster is not aiming at a target, nothing changes. However if I am targeting a mob when I cast it, it automatically casts the zone at the position of the target. This would be a nice modification for all ground target spells as the current double activation in order to cast them is clunky and the proper aiming from range is hard.
  • Surge
    Used to be a class defining skill. Now it only is an Entropy/Rally ersatz. Something needs to be modified here, and not only on the healing section of the spell.
  • Bolt Escape
    Was nerfed multiple times over the last months. Still a nice skill. Maybe the magicka regen limitation can be removed now that it does not benefit from the passive cost reduction anymore.
  • Passive : Capacitator
    Quite nice. Useless for stamina builds.
  • Passive : Energized
    Okayish passive as it is quite a niche one. Would rather see an 8% increase to lightning damages from all sources.
  • Passive : Disintegrate
    That passive should have had a major role in the execute process for the Sorcerer. Augment the proc chance, decrease the per-hit damage, and make it start to proc at 50%.
  • Passive : Expert Mage
    Nice passive even if a tiny bit low. 3% would have been better balanced imho. As usual, useless for stamina builds.

As a conclusion, I would say that Update 6 was clearly a step toward the good direction. The Sorcerer class gained in viability and is now way more fun to play. However, it still needs quite in-depth work on its skill trees as we are still crippled by many very situational or borderline useless skills. We also have only 2 good passives and a few other okayish ones, something should be done in that area. We must keep in mind that we have the most expensive skills, so they should bring some serious advantages if we want to use them. Also, the fact that a better and cheaper version of some of our skills can be found in the common skill lines is a problem.
You will notice that I talk very little about the stamina Sorcerers. This is because the class has so few synergies with a stamina mode that there is almost nothing to say here.

And again, please do not start a class DPS holy war in this thread as it is not its purpose at all.
Altef Quatre - v14 Breton Sorcerer
Melina Dagda - v14 Dunmer Dragonknight
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fayaburn wrote: »
    Hi,
    Deadric Prey / Velocious Curse
    Concerning the Prey, the modifications introduced with the apparition of this morph go toward the good direction. However, the damage bonus compared to a flat Force pulse is too low to be really considered. The pet damage buff could be nice if the pet damage wasn't such a small portion of the total parse. We have to remember here that we only have 5 slots per bar so every skill we slot much be beneficial enough to gain its spot. A solution could be to boost the damage of this morph only, or boost the pet damage further.

Surge
    Used to be a class defining skill. Now it only is an Entropy/Rally ersatz. Something needs to be modified here, and not only on the healing section of the spell.

I use Daedric Prey in my single tough target bar for solo play and since that bar uses a resto staff it really does make a difference. Not saying I would turn down a damage boost, and possibly have it focus any of your summoned creatures on that target.

Crit Surge also still works for my destro staff bar, but I've got a suggestion for making it better:
    Off of the top of my head, I might make it look like this with the current (1.6.5-1.6.6) cost and cooldown:

Invoke Meridia's name to get a rush of power, granting you Minor Prophecy for an additional 3% Spell Critical chance and inflicting Minor Breach on affected targets, reducing their Spell Resistance by 8%.

While active, critical strikes heal for you 60% of the damage done.

That would be amazing.

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with most everything. Good post. I especially agree that Empowered Ward extra pet damage should be added to Daedric Prey and I think Empowered Ward should get the stam morph treatment. Also agree with what you say for Clannfear/Volatile, Bound Aegis, Exploitation, Expert Summoner, Disintegrate, and Daedric Mines. I disagree or maybe just don't understand your position on Overload. It is very nice damage even in PVE and having an extra available bar is valuable. I do wish the damage was reduced and we were allowed to light attack weave with it (like we were for one patch on PTS). I also disagree with getting rid of the extra cost for multiple casts of Bolt Escape, and that is from a PVP player who is currently in a magicka spec. It is a shame that this mechanic basically locks stamina builds out of using this as an escape, but that is okay, especially if stam builds are given a morph of Ward.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    I disagree or maybe just don't understand your position on Overload. It is very nice damage even in PVE and having an extra available bar is valuable. I do wish the damage was reduced and we were allowed to light attack weave with it (like we were for one patch on PTS).

That is basically what I was saying. If the purpose is to provide a nice burst window to the Sorcerer, then allow us to weave with it. Or increase cost to 50ult per light attack and apply a 1.5x multiplicator to damage. Make it bursty ^^
    If the purpose is to allow a bit of DPS without consuming resources, then the skill in itself is just laughable for that purpose.
    Basically, I am saying that in its current state, that ultimate does not bring much to the table.
    The third bar argument for me is null. That 3rd bar should not exist and I am not even sure it was an intended mecanism when the game was designed (same for the clanfear heal... why would they add a buff to a class desperate for one and not mention it directly in the patch note?...).
    I also disagree with getting rid of the extra cost for multiple casts of Bolt Escape, and that is from a PVP player who is currently in a magicka spec. It is a shame that this mechanic basically locks stamina builds out of using this as an escape, but that is okay, especially if stam builds are given a morph of Ward.

I am not saying to get rid of the extra cost. Just talking about the magicka regen that is crippled after using that skill.
    Edited by Fayaburn on March 16, 2015 4:56PM
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nice post, me gusta.
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Liquid Lightning
    The new Sorcerer DoT. Good modifications, nice skill. Biggest downside is the difficulty to aim it properly from max range. This could be adressed by increasing slightly its radius. Another modification could be to add some kind of smartcast mecanism. If the caster is not aiming at a target, nothing changes. However if I am targeting a mob when I cast it, it automatically casts the zone at the position of the target. This would be a nice modification for all ground target spells as the current double activation in order to cast them is clunky and the proper aiming from range is hard.
    Truer words never spoken. I have never played any class than sorcerer beyond level 6, so I don't know if there are other class skills that use this double trigger mechanism. However, all the skills that use this, like Ultimates, and Mage Guild skills, feel 'clunky'. Perfect word choice. And your suggestion for a fix is good too. Really wish the Devs would clue in on this!
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Verdwhisper
    Verdwhisper
    ✭✭✭
    We all know sorcs skills and passives are in a horrible situation atm, especially for stam sorcs. If you wanna be happy, reroll a dk, they are just dk fan boys and they balance this game around dk. Sad for other classes but it is the case here.
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    We all know sorcs skills and passives are in a horrible situation atm, especially for stam sorcs. If you wanna be happy, reroll a dk, they are just dk fan boys and they balance this game around dk. Sad for other classes but it is the case here.

Meanwhile, I still enjoy way more playing my sorc than I enjoy playing my DK.
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    Bump.
    Not letting the thread die already as I would love some additional feedback from other Sorcerers / non-Sorcerers and their opinion about those issues.
    Options
  • Mumnoch
    Mumnoch
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all these points really. The Sorc is in a horrible place right now without being able to place first in any of the roles this game has. Our heals are weak, our tanking is weak, and our DPS is very weak compared to the other classes. I know you wasn't wanting to "compare the Sorc to other classes" but that is the metric we must use. It is also the metric we fail on.

Of course as other's have already said, Zenimax has no intention's of making meaningful improvements to the Sorc class. In my opinion they will leave everything pretty much exactly how it is until sales drop off in the console department. Then they 'might" do some adjustments to the other classes or release new content. I really hope I'm wrong but as the Developer's of Zenimax said themselves they consider the Sorc's a "Learn to play" situation.
    Options
  • Kulrig
    Kulrig
    ✭✭✭
    Been a while since I've played, but I'll chime in as I can. Mostly on the skills I remember using :P Also, I almost exclusively quested, did anchors, public dungeons, or did dungeons I slightly outleveled with my brother and spent most of the time healing so that colors my views.
      Clanfear is quite nice for lower levels soloing as it drags aggro from you. Not very useful however as the class got other (and imo better) survivability mecanisms. The DPS produced is marginal and not a reason to slot it. The heal on desummoning is a good idea, however the double nerf that followed burried it into the ground. A single target heal with a cast time of 1.3s (~2s with desummoning) is borderline useless, and we also lost Rebate in the process. Volatile Familiar was almost never used since it is still crippled by the chain summoning bug. The new 1.3s cast time made sure nobody will use it offensively anymore. . . .
    • Restoring Twilight
      The skill is pretty nice even if the pet DPS is not that good. The magicka regen buff is one of the very few utilities Sorcerer is offered but can't be stacked with other Sorcs.
    • Bound Armor / Bound Aegis
      The damage reduction buffs are anecdotic considering the skill constraints. It is slotted solely for the resource pool increase. Stamina users benefit from the Heavy attacks buff. A nice addition for the Aegis morph would be to grant Major Mending buff while toggle is on. More generally, I expect more from a toggle than what is proposed here.

. . .
    • Passive : Rebate
      Took a big nerf. Used to be a good passive even if situational. It now became marginal.
    • Passive : Powerstone
      Good passive. Nothing to add there.
    • Passive : Deadric protection
      Heatlh recovery? Seriously? This stat is so useless in this game that it makes the passive null.
    • Passive : Expert summoner
      Mediocre passive. Range for atro? Move speed for clanfear...? Another borderline useless passive.

Dark Magic Tree
    • Crystal Fragments / Crystal Blast
      Fragments is now a very nice skill. The cast time modifications allowed us to integrate it in a DPS rotation, thanks for that.
      Blast morph is still unused and could be reworked to add in the fields were Sorcs are lacking.

. . .
    • Dark Exchange
      Should have been a class defining skill. In fine, it is and can only be an out of combat skill. People who use it in Cyrodiil need to get out of the heat in order to. People in PvE do not use it at all, or just between two fights to replenish their resource pools. Also needs serious work and not only a few tweaks to values.

. . .
    • Passive : Blood magic
      Main buff introduced with 1.6 is the possibility to use Fragments in our rotations. Adds a small bit of survivability to the class. Not transcending but not useless either.

Storm Calling Tree
    • Overload
      Can someone please explain me that skill goal? What was the true purpose imaginated when the skill was designed? It is seriously flawed and brings almost nothing to the table.

The summons I rather liked, especially when I tried a melee oriented build. That's also the only time I really tried Bound Armor, and while I loved looking like Shredder for a bit I found that I rarely used heavy attacks when using staves (or in the case of Resto staff, had other things to place on my bars). My only real problem with the pets was that they had a nasty habit of eating my Mutagens. Trying to heal my brother, and for some reason the easily replaceable daedra were prioritized over my not-so-easily-replaced brother. If anything I'd like to see the pets take less damage and also be placed really low on the priority list for heals like Mutagen. But for general questing, they work OK.

Dark Exchange is a great ability, at least for people like me who don't have the Mages Guild magicka recovery spell. It also worked rather nicely for those moments where I needed more healing than the others in my group, or when there was a lull in incoming damage and I was low on magicka. I hear you can move while channeling it now? If so, in my mind that makes it all the better. Seems nobody has the time to wait for their healer.

Overload I think had good intentions. It was a way for the sorc to use an ultimate ability and be able to direct precisely where the damage goes, and I loved flinging lightning around like that. I just wish it dealt more damage, because with the atronach I can just plop it somewhere and continue casting as normal. The result is that unless I really truly felt the need for a third bar, or felt like going for style points, I didn't really put any points in overload because it didn't offer the kind of damage I expect from something calling itself an "ultimate" ability considering the atronach did more and allowed normal casting.

But yeah, I skipped most of the passives (especially the summoning ones) because there were better places to spend the points. I forget if it was Blood Magic or something else, but the one that healed the user when casting a dark magic spell was the only one I always took because I was really fond of the crystal frag spell. Maybe if the Daedric Protection passive also applied the benefit to group members and nearby allies it would be worth taking? And gave some benefit other than health regen at a pathetically low rate. Maybe a healing buff?
    Options
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Jar_Ek on March 17, 2015 1:25PM
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    @Kulrig : Thank you for your feedback. Your experience is a bit outdated as some of the skills you talk about where modified with Update 6. However, you provide a pretty accurate point of view of a soloing Sorcerer during his leveling period.

@Jar_Ek : I had read the threads you linked except the discussion about Surge and mostly agree with the statements they make. I will come back once I read the Surge discussion as well.
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    Jar_Ek wrote: »

I went through the posts a second time.

Concerning the Daedric Summoning tree, I like your propositions. The extra activation of toggles would allow more control over the pets which is good. The passives modification you propose are nice and deal with the clearly useless passives gimping this tree.
    However, I am not fond of the modifications proposed to the Ward. Hardened ward is fine as it is, and Empowered is according to me a lesser version with gadget kisscool effect. I would rather see the modifications I proposed in the OP implemented : merge the pet damage buff to Deadric prey and replace Empowered by a stamina morph. That would allow access to a class defining skill to stamina builds and remove that duplication between Deadric prey and Empowered ward.

Concerning Surge, according to me, if we want keep the way it works now, the only solution is to remove the cooldown and cap the number of Crits to 6 per heal.
    However, even if the Surge heal is made viable with such a modification, the skill would remain a lesser version of Entropy/Rally. I would rather see a complete rework of the skill for that reason.

Options
  • byrom101b16_ESO
    byrom101b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good analysis of what already is.

It could do with extra material talking about the non-Sorc skills nearly all Sorcerers are forced to use, and how changes to Sorc skill should/could synergise or replace these. Runic Prison should be changed to Runic Curse and perform very much like Entropy in my opinion.

Also, improvements to defensive skills have been eclipsed to some extent by the massive reduction in the protective baseline of Light Armour, so some additional suggestions on how Sorcerer passives might be modified to mitigate this would be most useful.

I don't have a problem with the armour protection nerf, although it's serious... but the spell resistance nerf is just wrong. I would recommend tripling the effectiveness of the spell reistance from Light Armour passive.
    Edited by byrom101b16_ESO on March 17, 2015 2:03PM
    Options
  • byrom101b16_ESO
    byrom101b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact I am going to write up a modified and partially new set of Sorcerer skill lines with appropriate changes and post it on these forums by the end of the week...
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also disagree with getting rid of the extra cost for multiple casts of Bolt Escape, and that is from a PVP player who is currently in a magicka spec. It is a shame that this mechanic basically locks stamina builds out of using this as an escape, but that is okay, especially if stam builds are given a morph of Ward.

I am not saying to get rid of the extra cost. Just talking about the magicka regen that is crippled after using that skill.

I may be possibly mixing up some version of PTS but if I recall correctly, I thought the magicka regen reduction was removed from this skill.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭

I may be possibly mixing up some version of PTS but if I recall correctly, I thought the magicka regen reduction was removed from this skill.

It is not mentionned in the tooltip but I was pretty sure the reduction was still there ingame. I will need to check that. If the reduction is gone, the skill is fine for me.
    Options
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fayaburn Well the suggested changes to ward were really aimed at giving sorcerers a support and healing boost - although the changes would probably be best as part of the Empowered morph. I am unsure about providing stamina sorcerers with a ward as I suspect it would make them OP (though it could be tied to health and cost stamina or even magicka).
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    @Fayaburn Well the suggested changes to ward were really aimed at giving sorcerers a support and healing boost - although the changes would probably be best as part of the Empowered morph. I am unsure about providing stamina sorcerers with a ward as I suspect it would make them OP (though it could be tied to health and cost stamina or even magicka).

The problem of making the Sorcerer healing rely on Ward is that it would not synergize properly with existing skills. I would still prefer the Healing ward from Restoration staff over the skill you described.
    As a healer, you want true heals most of the time and maybe an emergency shield when players take big hits to have the time to replenish their health. That is the exact purpose of Healing ward.

According to me, the biggest flaw for sorcerer healing is the fact that they don't have access to Major Mending buff. If Bound Aegis provided that buff, it would bring Sorcerer healing capacities on par with NBs and DKs.

Edited by Fayaburn on March 17, 2015 3:14PM
    Options
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough - I can buy into that logic. Though sorcerers still need some group support capabilities, and the summoning passives need to be more generally useful (not so pet dependent).
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pet feedback: OP, you more less recommend Restoring Twilight over Clanfear. I had been running with a clanfear (at VR14), but switched after reading your comments. Didn't work for my build because the Twilight doesn't pull aggro nearly as much as clanfear, and died much quicker. In 1.6. the clanfear is quite robust, often living through mob encounters. Even better, it really pulls aggro, which lets me be more of a Conjurer/Summoner, letting the pet melee while I do ranged casting. With 5 piece Seducer and 3 Martial Knowledge and a buff, I was already rarely running out of magic and the Twilight did not add to the magic pool enough to offset the increased damage I was taking, plus having to recast the pet more often.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Fayaburn
    Fayaburn
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Pet feedback: OP, you more less recommend Restoring Twilight over Clanfear. I had been running with a clanfear (at VR14), but switched after reading your comments. Didn't work for my build because the Twilight doesn't pull aggro nearly as much as clanfear, and died much quicker. In 1.6. the clanfear is quite robust, often living through mob encounters. Even better, it really pulls aggro, which lets me be more of a Conjurer/Summoner, letting the pet melee while I do ranged casting. With 5 piece Seducer and 3 Martial Knowledge and a buff, I was already rarely running out of magic and the Twilight did not add to the magic pool enough to offset the increased damage I was taking, plus having to recast the pet more often.

Most of the time, the Twilight bring more DPS and more utility than the Clanfear to the table.
    However, the Clanfear taunts, which means it can be superior in a solo situation when you want your enemies distracted from you.
    Imho, the only good survivability mecanism our class has at the moment is the Hardened Ward. It is the only skill which will allow you to survive large AOE trash pulls (not surge, neither the clanfear with its cast time). This is why even in the situation where Clanfear would maybe shine, I think it is still outshined by another skill.
    Options
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So let's try to get some level of consensus as to what sorcerer skills should be, which are good and which are bad and for which specs. What should change and how.

@Snit @Grao @Reykice @Erock25 @loki547 @pppontus @Gil.Galad @TehMagnus

Would you like to contribute please?

Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So let's try to get some level of consensus as to what sorcerer skills should be, which are good and which are bad and for which specs. What should change and how.

@Snit @Grao @Reykice @Erock25 @loki547 @pppontus @Gil.Galad @TehMagnus

Would you like to contribute please?

@Jar_Ek I'll bite. I'm doing this quick and dirty so no deep explanations or setting up my concepts with full rationalization. Also I am trying to avoid large changes which may be impossible or very difficult to implement such as allowing Surge to only act on 6 targets (I know other spells have secondary effects that do this, but Surge itself isn't doing the damage so it may be hard to implement the code for it).

Power Surge - Duration increased to 40 seconds (to 43 seconds on Rank4). Provides yourself with Minor Prophecy (3% spell crit)

Critical Surge - Cost reduced by 40%. Provides yourself with Major Endurance for 10 seconds.

Power Overload - Changed to a stamina restore version of Energy Overload

Unstable Familiar (and all morphs) - Revert back to instant cast now that Rebate makes this a high magicka cost skill

Clannfear - It may be impossible due to it possibly being exploitable, but it would be great for Tank Sorcs if this could still grab aggro with other people on the threat list. Perhaps have it taunt whoever you cast Daedric Prey on considering DPS pet sorc really shouldnt be using Clannfear in groups anyway (could be asking for too much and difficult to code for).

Daedric Prey - Increase the additional pet damage to 50% and refocus all pets to attack this target.

Bound Aegis - Also provides Minor Mending buff (8% healing done increase)

Empowered Ward - Stamina morph of Conjured Ward

Crystal Blast - Melee range stamina morph that is just like Crystal Frag (minus the knockdown) and procs on activation of any skill that cost stamina. Does slightly less dmg than a magicka build Crystal Frag but also provides the Sorc and his group Minor Brutality (increase weapon damage by 5%) for 5 seconds.

Exploitation Passive - Activating a Dark Magic ability grants Major Prophecy (10% spell crit) to a Sorcerer and his group (important it is group only so multiple Sorc would be needed to keep this running for the entire raid) for 5/10 seconds.

Daedric Bomb (rename of Daedric Tomb) - Sorcerer places a Daedric Bomb on the ground (double the activation radius of a single mine) which takes 5 seconds to activate and when triggered, explodes for massive damage.

Suppression Field - Provides Major Protection instead of Minor Protection

Summon WInged Twilight (and all morphs) - Reduce cast time to 0.5 seconds

I think the sum of these changes are easy to implement, provide some boosts to Tank Sorc, Healer Sorc, Stam Sorc, while adding significant utility to Magicka Sorc and also adding a chunk of DPS if they can get into melee range and have a tank competent enough to work the boss over the Daedric Bomb.
    Edited by Erock25 on March 17, 2015 8:56PM
    Options
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erock25 Thank you. It seems like thus far most of us have similarish ideas. Let's hope zos take note...
    Options
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I view the sorc toolbox in terms of gameplay situations. I also view this as someone who does three things: 1) I PvP, often solo, sometimes in PUG groups and sometimes in guild groups, 2) I try to do the daily undaunted pledges, almost always in PUG's and 3) I solo grind for loot and CP's. No trials -- I lost interest in MMO raiding years ago. With that preamble, here is my assessment:

'Urts, Don' It? (Group DPS).
    I suspect we're fine. Liquid Lightning is a difference maker in most fights, and the new Expert Mage at least lowers the DPS penalty for slotting a class skill over a Mage Guild skill. Playing a no-pets, one-toggle nuker, I am satisfied with my DPS parses on Bloodspawn and similar. Whether sorcs are truly competitive at the top end is something we may not know for months, when everyone sorts their builds out. Let's wait and see.

Ey! Quit Bleedin'! (Group Healer). Sorcs have no active skills that heal others or contribute in any significant way to this role. Our previous differentiator, Power Surge's effect on Resto Staves, is now available to all via Entropy. We can debate whether Sorcs or DK's are the worst healers, but both are miles behind Templars and NB's. This is my highest priority issue for sorcs.

Do Sumfin' Useful (Group Utility) 1.6 took sorcs from hero to zero in this regard. Our one amazing trick, Negate, was gutted. I agreed with Eric Wrobel's assessment that it was too good, that it trivialized too many fights. I think the nerf went too far. My compromise would be to reduce its cost by 1/3.

Stop Hittin' Me! (Survivability). I thought the loss of Surge healing would be fatal. It isn't. Hardened Ward is quite good, and shields synergize with the new pajama-like Light Armor better than do heals. We also have superb mobility. Our stam pools are awful, but every Achilles needs a heel. For those willing to adjust playstyles from what worked in 1.5, I don't think survivability should be considered a weakness, whether grouped up or solo.

All By Meself (Solo PvE) In 1.5, I could solo three Spellscar groups simultaneously and handle the easier mini-bosses in N Craglorn. I couldn't solo the new group delves, at least not without switching to a completely different sustain build. In 1.6, all of that remains exactly the same. The playstyle changed (Hardened Ward is now mapped to M4), but the results are identical. No complaints.

Bunch of Waaaagh! (Solo/ Small Group PvP).
    We're fine here. Like most classes, we have good matchups and bad ones, and even those relative strengths are less important than any significant gap in player skill. One ironic result of the 2H/ Medium Armor megabuffs is that we see fewer scale-spamming DK's. I feel sorcs are about right in Cyrodiil, and I really enjoy it out there (at least, when nobody's casting Time Stop).

Get'n Smarter (Stamina Sorcs). My Imperial Stamina Sorc isn't a veteran yet. I'll have a useful opinion about them someday, but it's theorycraft now. I would point out that halving the magicka cost of Crit Surge (the weapon user morph) sounds like a clever idea, particularly given the negative side-effects of the new Expert Mage passive.

Extra Special Mushrooms (Spell Design and FX).
    The art and animation group did outstanding work with sorc class skills. Tastes vary, but I love the way Lightning Form, Mage's Fury, Dark Crystal and other spells look, feel and sound. This does not impact balance, but it's a major part of why I play this class.

So that's what I think, categorized by situations, and described as my old warhammer shaman might do. The skill-by-skill "what's good and what stinks" approach in the OP is more comprehensive, but I doubt ZOS has the appetite for a skill-by-skill rebuild of this or any class. They have a lot on their plate.

Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

Options
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am certainly not among the top sorcs, but here are my 2cents regardless:

While I still believe that our dps is not quite there yet (though certainly better then in 1.5), my biggest issue is the lack of group utility... this is not helped by the fact that everything one would actually want to crowed control in pve is immune; thus rendering an entire sorc skillline semi-useless for pve
    Options
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overload is simple..

Pure Damage Dealing toggled mode.... like how most people wish Werewolf would be.

Ult point for point its the hardest hitting Ultimate in the game.. I expect once people get over the lol Antronach and start seeing the potential power that is having your ultimate effectively a secondary Combat resource that outmatches your main resources, you will see siginificantly more Overload builds..

Overload Light attacks is effectively like being able to spam Death Blow (the NB assassination ult) for up to 40 seconds.

Overload Heavy attacks is like having Elemental Blockade that does 10-15% better damage than impulse each second, again for 20+ seconds.

For DPS builds its the most commonly overlooked powerhouse ultimate skill... and always was a heavy hitter.

i use Power Overload on my Stam sorc, going from wrecking blow, i get even more DPS when its active than is possible with Shooting star or atronach, additonally because i can use overload to supplement low resources and avoid any DPS losses.

Energy Overload on a magicka build allows you to 100% spam your magicka untill its out and just DPS with Overload untill its back again... and get better DPS out of it overall.

the Third Skill Bar is also really nice, you can put a full pet build there, and just spam Overload light while your pets DOT.... or Liquid lightning etc combined.

Crystal Blast....

Personally i say give it a extra cast time reduction.. dropping to 0.7s. and a minor Damage increase, about 5%

this would actually increase its relative DPS quite a bit, enough to make it a spam choice, while Fragments remains the Burst morph of choice (for PvP)

ideally i would see it close to the single target potential of spam cast Dark Flare.

Dark mines...

give it a 3m AOE radius and make targeted below enemies when cast (so that if they were not moving it would be squarely centered) but not able to cast more than one at the same enemy. if there are not enough enemies for each mine to target one, it defaults to current system.

Targeting radius of 16m around the caster.

would allow (grenade Lobbing) into groups of mobs or Npcs... with the potential of 2 mines damaging the same enemies if they are too closely packed.

its this or a complete redesign.

imo, pets need to be returned to how they were in beta, where you can have them active on another bar... or have around a 30% damage boost.

i do like the idea of making Clanfear and Matriarch into Stamina Morphs too.
    Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on March 18, 2015 12:14AM
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
    Options
  • Nihil
    Nihil
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to just try and break this down on the skills that I believe could use changing / I don't fully agree with your assesment.
    Hi,

[*] Volatile Familiar / Clanfear
    Clanfear is quite nice for lower levels soloing as it drags aggro from you. Not very useful however as the class got other (and imo better) survivability mecanisms. The DPS produced is marginal and not a reason to slot it. The heal on desummoning is a good idea, however the double nerf that followed burried it into the ground. A single target heal with a cast time of 1.3s (~2s with desummoning) is borderline useless, and we also lost Rebate in the process.
    Volatile Familiar was almost never used since it is still crippled by the chain summoning bug. The new 1.3s cast time made sure nobody will use it offensively anymore.
    The cast time really did weaken this skill imo, with the cast time it made it a premeditated cast that now is suppose to heal us, the problem is that it took away our utility to do so. I personally would like to see the heal slightly decreased and give it back the instant cast/ really reduced cast time.
    [*] Deadric Prey / Velocious Curse
    Velocious curse is a nice skill for a burst combo in PvP even if making it blocable is quite sad.
    the damage increase for daedric prey is actually kind of nice. Per cast of the skill, Daedric prey still deals more damage then force pulse (by ~25 - 30 % depending on where you have your CP spent), and also does give a boost to twilight if you do use them. I think the main fix for this skill would be to make clanfear more useful. By doing that we already increase the damage potential of this skill for a build specialized around summons.
    [*] Restoring Twilight
    one thing I would just say about this, a passive damage is actually a lot more beneficial then it seems to being let on, if we are able to keep the twilight alive, this would be one of the best damage / cast skills that sorcs have as it takes literally 0 global cool downs to cast and thus provides a substantial damage increase. It is just as soon as the summon dies that we loose this benefit and in some fights this can be easily done.
    [*] Bound Armor / Bound Aegis
    First I don't think sorcs need major mending, we should leave that for the DK's, give them the burst potential, I think aegis should have something to do to aid the Sorc tanks, not sure what off the top of my head. But by doing that you will add some usefullness to the class in regards to tanking, and actually increase light armor sorcs survivability abit more (maybe when ever you cast a damage shield gain minor evasion for 3/5 seconds? nothing to big but could be a small benefit and synergize with ward).
    [*] Hardened Ward / Empowered Ward
    Very nice skill. Was powerful in 1.5, still is powerful with 1.6 and will be now used outside of Cyrodiil.
    The Empowered ward does not appeal me. In fact, the purpose of the skill is survivability, and for that Hardened ward is the superior morph. I would rather see the pet buff merged with the Daedric prey morph and replace Empowered with some stamina or tanking utility.
    Wouldn't mind a stamina version as I do enjoy my sorc when they are a stamina build. But I think throwing more and more damage onto one ability (daedric prey) could potentially cause our summons to start hitting to hard without much in the way for micromanagement. Right now I view the summon build as a test of micromanaging buffs/ debuffs / dots on the opponent.
    [*] Passive : Deadric protection
    I am actually curious how this might play out later on in some tanking builds. I think the original design was to synergize with out other heals, this + blood magic + surge allows for generally more healing without actually casting healing spells. Down fall of this passive, the base health regen in general is considerably low that you need to stack health regen to get any bang for the buck. Wouldn't mind if it was changed, but we will lose health over time (which with some builds might notice it with the new drinks, this passive would give ~120 health every 2 seconds with a drink active).
    [*] Negate
    Took a hard nerf with Update 6. Not sure what modifications would bring it back to an appropriate state. However its cost is currently too high for its effect.
    one of my main problems is that I feel that absorption field is just to redundant now with the buff system. Most players in high end content will already have the buffs (except for major expedition) because they will be drinking crafted potions. I haven't tested the minor erosion they added to suppression field, if it applies to all players in the field this could be good if mage heavy groups ever come to light. Also add more boss with devistating add spawn.
    [*] Crystal Fragments / Crystal Blast
    ...Blast morph is still unused and could be reworked to add in the fields were Sorcs are lacking.
    [*] Encase
    The skill is in a better state than it previously was in 1.5. However, its use is clunky due to its cone shape and might need a bit of work in that area.
    I think these both can see more use by altering aspects of encounters already. Right now massive trash pulls appear to be dps like crazy and heal / damage mitigate to survive. If they had melee enemies punish more for being in close range (work together to spike down one target / increase damage) an encase would then see more use and combined with a descent hitting aoe range skill this could have use in specific cases. This game does not support CC in pve well... mobs don't punish enough as we can all block / dodge.
    [*] Rune Prison
    Seriously ? What are we supposed to do with that skill ? Never used it, never will unless totally reworked.
    Similar to encase, if mobs that can be cced were more danagerous this could be useful. A sorc literally could rotate this with encase on a single melee mobs and spam liquid lightning/ thundering presence/ daedric mines/velocious curse / lightning staff heavy attack and never break the CC while killing a mob safely (rune cage) but their is no need really for this in the game atm (could be devistating in pvp if they got rid of the cast time as same could be done to players).
    [*] Daedric Mines
    Situational skill as it is used as an area denial in PvP. Could be nice to see a morph useful for PvE. Also, it should detonate on charging enemies.
    I think they just need to change the immunity for this skill to a damage reduction per mine that hits after first one. This would still get rid of the amazing burst that could be achieved against big boss', but give more use to the skill in pve. This is the most damaging skill in the game per cast, so I can see why they would want to limit the damage potential per time, but as is, it is basically a very expensive close range force pulse... that might have some usefullness in rare circumstances.
    [*] Passive : Exploitation
    Big nerf with update 6. Grants anecdotical utility to the class. I would rather see it grant Major Prophecy buff to the Sorc only for 10s. It would allow Sorcs to drop Inner Light and in the process help with the "too many toggles" syndrome.
    With these group buff passives they did basically take out a passive for us and templars while adding onto the NB and DK. A little love here would be appreciated. I am fine with it not being major prophecy tho, how they have classes designed, sorc / NB get the power skills, DK/Templars get the crit ones.

[*] Endless Fury / Mage's Wrath
    Sorcerer's execute. The skill is okay. It biggest advantage is that you can precast it and therefore adds to the burst potential of the class.
    As previously stated in multiple other threads, a nice modification would be to see Endless fury cost decrease for each subsequent cast and Mage's wrath damage increase for each subsequent cast as well. A stacking mecanism would allow that and was already described before.
    I think the math I did showed this in line with the other major executes... I would have to double check that tho, been a little while sense I compared :/.

[/quote][*] Thundering presence / Boundless storm
    Good modifications introduced with Update 6. The skill is now nice and balanced when considering cost vs effects.[/quote] personally would like one of the versions to be stamina based, but that is just a personal wish.
    [*] Surge
    power surge is where I think we should throw minor mending, this would give us more sustained heals compared to DK's burst heals they can achieve. Have the buff last as long as power surge and I think we will have our place as a healer then (+expert mage passive). I personally would like to see the choice between entropy/rally and surge not be 100 % to surge, give each skill different uses (templars would grab mage light for healing, and their class version for damage for example).
    [*] Passive : Capacitator
    Quite nice. Useless for stamina builds.
    definitely not useless, but definitely not all to useful... just wonder why we get 10% while NB's get 30 % for stamina.... think that is remnant of the time stamina needed help and never got changed.
    [*] Passive : Energized
    Okayish passive as it is quite a niche one. Would rather see an 8% increase to lightning damages from all sources.
    For pvp I wouldn't mind it also adding an increase chance to apply concussion. Would also be helpful in pve for trash pulls ( and boss' that can be concussed. although force pulse spam limits that, would prefer if force pulse didn't apply all status effects for this reason, should be based on staff /endminirant).
    [*] Passive : Expert Mage
    Nice passive even if a tiny bit low. 3% would have been better balanced imho. As usual, useless for stamina builds.
    the flexability of any of the sorc class abilities working for this I think constitutes the 2 % looking at mage guild / the crit for NB's, they lack the flexibility of choosing any skill in their class to gain their benefit (for NB's).

That turned out longer then I expected sorry for the long write up.
    Edited by Nihil on March 18, 2015 1:02AM
    Options
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imo a bottom up, skill by skill analysis like the one(s) in this thread is a nice exercise but does not achieve a coherent objective as a whole.

Improve everything by a bit and all you'll end up having is still an incoherent class that now is overpowered and ripe to a nerf.
    ZoS did a similar mistake when they changed sorcs for 1.6. They focused on improving some spells aspects, they focused on selectively nerfing one ability, they focused on pets. Result: a different but still aimless class.

A more organic and complimentary analysis would be to consider classes' mission.

1) What does a sorc exist for?
    2) How does the class relate with the others?
    3) What are its intended strong points?
    4) Which ways is it meant to synergize with the other classes?

This is the typical job for a game designer, a professional figure that seems absent in this game (look at the disaster called VR levels or how they initially implemented dungeons locks in Craglorn).

Basicallly if a class is unfocused or bland, it won't have good answers to the above statements.

In particular, sorcs:

1) Don't have an expecially strong uniqueness to justify their existence. ESO implements "configurable" roles, other classes may spec for magicka and / or ranged DPS just fine. At this point, uniqueness may still be attained by giving unique strong points or even making a class "best at XXXX role". DKs are best at one role, second at another. Templars too. NBs weren't much strong at game release (and had tons of bugs) but had class flavour. Sorcs, could have a flavour and actually they are decently unique pre-VR, when you would see people with 2 pets go around. Enter end game, pets become little more than a DoT and have tons of downsides (in example, today I was assigned to sneaking middle group in AA and... pet attacked the mobs to NOT attack despite I was sneaked...). They occupy an heal slot, they may randomly aggro bosses...
    Not having end game strong flavour, sorcs could still be good if very strong at a role. But they aren't the strongest at any role.

2) DKs and Temps seem complimentary at being very defined and strong at a job, NBs and sorcs look less focused. If we look at an "holy trinity" game design, DKs and Temps easily fit in players traditional expectations. NBs and sorcs have flexible roles but are weaker for that. That is, ZoS failed at turning their flexibility into an asset.

3) The strong points for DKs and Temps are quite easy to see. What should be a sorc strong point though? It does not excel at anything but it should. Else we have a class with just mild purpose. Pre patch 1.6 ZoS took a dangerous shortcut (other MMO companies did the same in the past): give purpose, give a strong point by providing a "magic button", creating the quite awful "one button class" phenomenon. Sorcs were given Negate Magic. As a bonus, sorcs were made able to DPS and off-heal at the same time.
    But come patch 1.6:
    - Negate magic was nerfed again.
    - Not only, but encounters now don't require it any more. At all. Today we have done a full trial run without a single negate and had no issue whatsoever including last boss.
    - Now sorcs can't effectively off-heal and DPS. Between "togglemancer" effect, surge nerf and other stuff, the new way to stay alive and still do good DPS, is to use a shield. A shield that can't be applied to raid members like healing springs could.
    Top DPS configurations don't even allow to have the shield though, making sorcs completely reliant on raid healers, "like they were a pure DPS class".
    But this brings us back to point 1 and 2: are sorcs a DPS class? The removal of survival and healing options (you can keep them somehow but then good bye good DPS) would suggest a re-focus of the class into a "pure DPS" role. But sorcs come last at DPS. Not by far, but still last.

4) How do sorcs synergize? We were a Swiss knife utility class and Negate was our One Button to success. We don't bring massive buffs or other. The other classes each have at least 1 ability that make them desirable into trials. Case in point: nova. Anyone could even imagine doing a trial without novas? How painful would it be? However since patch 1.6 you can do a Negate-less run without a single death or slowdown.

See, I have not listed a single suggestion about which ability to buff, because imo the class has to be re-purposed into a competitive or unique role first. Only then, abilities can be adapted and parametrized to values apt at fitting the new purpose.
    Options