Maintenance for the week of June 10:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 10

Was thinking of leveling a sorc

rosarose
rosarose
✭✭
But it seems like it's a lot of negative talk about sorc's now? Don't get me wrong, I will probably try it anyway, but can anyone say something positive about them now, or should I expext to die a lot? ;)
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're fine and can be fun to play (it's all a matter of personal preference), the whole game is easy anyways so you can complete any content with a sorc.

People just QQ because they where expecting over powered pew pew sorc in 1.6 and ZOS only buffed the class a little bit to get it closer to the others (they still rock in PVP).
    Edited by TehMagnus on March 16, 2015 9:28AM
    Options
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply @TehMagnus I just started to read your thread on the subject :) I imagine playing a sorc would be a nice change for my bosmer archer
    Options
  • HaldaAinur
    HaldaAinur
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're fun to play as, as I recently joined the game about a month ago and a sorc was my first character. Like Magnus said, it's a matter of personal preference really, and I really don't see what everyone was whining about after 1.6. My first impression of the sorc was that it was fun with a good mixture of summoning and spellcasting depending on the staff (or dual wield spell of your choice) you go for. But that being said, I've always loved mage/sorc characters so I'm a little biased, but nonetheless I recommend you giving it a try at some point :)
    Options
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my Sorc It does just as good now if not better than it did in 1.5. Mind you I don't PvP but I have soloed all most all of the DC areas including dolmens, world bosses and public dungeons.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcs are a lot of fun. I really enjoy playing with Potion Ivy, and she managed to get through the Lower Craglorn quests at V4-5.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rosarose wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply @TehMagnus I just started to read your thread on the subject :) I imagine playing a sorc would be a nice change for my bosmer archer
    Have fun! And while I am sure you will experiment and try things out for yourself, I can offer something that might be useful and that has worked pre- and post-Update 6. Might give some you some ideas to think about.

I haven't done end-game things, but this really generic, not-at-all original Sorc build has helped me solo or group through Alliance PvE zones. It's still going strong through Cadwell's Gold:

Race: Breton

Class: Sorcerer

Attributes: 2 Magicka then 1 Health until 25 Health, then all Magicka

Mundus Stone: The Thief

Championship Points: The Tower (33 points) - Magician (33 points); The Apprentice (33 points) - Elemental Expert (30), Elfborn (3); The Lady (33) - Light Armor Focus

Crafting Boons: Alchemy - Medicinal Use; Provisioning - Gourmand, Connoisseur (even my non-crafting or non-Alchemist/non-Provisioner characters level up to get these passives then the other points in these skill lines are removed)

Gear: 7 light armor below level 50, 7 or 5 light after Veteran ranks (I wanted to level up Heavy and Medium so I have been using 5). Five piece bonus for Seducer, including staff (Restoration Staff and all armor pieces except hands, waist, and feet. The rest is three piece Twilight's Embrace. Both sets are easy to craft/acquire because they only require that your clothing crafter know two traits.

Solo PvE questing before gaining lots of experience with various skill lines/playing at Vet Ranks:

Weapon Bar One (Restoration Staff):

1- Crystal Shard (Crystal Fragments) 2- Mage's Fury (Endless Fury) 3-Magelight (Radiant Magelight) 4-Unstable Familiar (Volatile Familiar) 5-Grand Healing (Mutagen) U-Overload (Power Overload)

Weapon Bar Two (Destruction Staff - Lightning) was never changed from the second PvP bar below.

These abilities, especially 1, 2, 4, and 5, get you through levels 1-10 very well. At level10 I went to Cyrodiil and snuck/kited my way to 85% of the skyshards and lore books that weren't underground, giving me enough skill points and a high enough Mages Guild rank to get Magelight.

Group PvP while leveling 10-50 (10-12 on Haderus, 12-50 on Blackwater Blade):

Weapon Bar One (Restoration Staff)

1-Crystal Fragments 2-Endless Fury 3-Radiant Magelight 4-Healing Springs 5-Ward Ally U-Negate (Suppression Field)

Weapon Bar Two was mostly the same except the Restoration Staff skills were replaced with things like Boundless Storm and Liquid Lightning with (Power) Overload for the Ultimate. Mostly just used Bar One.

Solo PvE questing after gaining lots of experience with various skill lines/playing at Vet Ranks:

Weapon Bar One (Restoration Staff):

1-Daedric Prey 2-Twilight Matriarch 3-Radiant Magelight 4-Healing Springs 5-Ward Ally U-Greater Storm Atronach

Weapon Bar Two (Destruction Staff - Fire)

1-Crushing Shock 2-Endless Fury 3-Radiant Magelight 4-Critical Surge 5-Flame Pulsar

This is what I've been using since I leveled out of Blackwater Blade and went back to pick up the original Alliance zones I missed, Coldharbor, and Cadwell's Silver. I am in Cadwell's Gold now. I can use this to solo pretty much everything and I rarely use potions, just blue food for increased Magicka and Health.

Bar Two is the standard. Get Critical Surge up (lasts 20 seconds) and if it is a weak to moderate difficulty solo mob use Crushing Shock a few times finishing with Endless Fury. If it is a group of trash mobs same thing only run around in a Figure Eight after hitting Critical Surge while blasting them with Flame Pulsar. You don't get anything from the weapon power buff for Crit Surge, but with your base 10% Spell Crit, the 10% from Magelight, the boon from your Mundus stone, and the Prodigy passive bonus for wearing at least 5 piece of Light, the part of Crit Surge that heals you for 60% of critical damage done still works well enough to complete solo questing content. Once you get 30 points into The Apprentice you unlock the Spell Precision boon, granting another 12% to Spell Critical.

Bar One is for tougher fights like the overland bosses and the champions in group dungeons. It is also what I use to solo dark anchors. Summon the Twilight, cast Daedric Prey on the target, and use your Ultimate to summon the Storm Atronach. Keep replenishing Ward Ally regularly as it will shield your Twilight and keep it alive as it takes aggro and does damage. Continually hit the (first/primary) target with heavy attacks from your restoration staff and heal with Healing Springs as necessary, as you want to maximize damage and ultimate generation while keeping your magicka up. Also keep Daedric Prey up on your target, and when it explodes re-apply immediately. The Twilight and Atronach will do extra damage plus you get the explosive damage when it ends. If the battle is still iffy/not nearly done when the Atronach expires another should be ready soon after. Once the target is in the kill zone for Endless Wrath swap bars for the execute if it is just one enemy or just keep going and pick another target when it expires if there are multiple opponents.
    Edited by tinythinker on March 16, 2015 3:29PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorc's are awesome. Starting from scratch, you won't have anything to unlearn, so you will likely excel in it quickly.

Most of the complaint you see hinges on a previous playstyle that is no longer valid.

Starting new, you will not have that issue.

It will be a huge change from your archer. I suspect you will enjoy it immensely.

(Make your own determinations and come here if you need help figuring something out. Don't let bias, one way or the other, sway you.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for your kind answers :) Right now I am thinking either altmer or breton. Not sure what I will prefer in the long run yet ;)
    Options
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you already have a Templar and DK than go for it. Sorcs and NB's have some fun aspects. Remember though, these are both really incomplete classes. They will not stand up to the other two in versatility, damage output, survivability, or desirability in endgame content. They have their moments in PVP with blinking or cloaking but they just lack the robustness you will eventually want in a primary toon. Their gimmick classes really. Fun to play, but don't expect to build you game around them unless perhaps all you ever intend to do is PVP where you can use their gimmicks full time.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
    Options
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for your kind answers :) Right now I am thinking either altmer or breton. Not sure what I will prefer in the long run yet ;)

I haven't really paid much attention to the racial Passives in ESO but Altmer and Sorc should have some good magicka bonuses
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

Options
  • rosarose
    rosarose
    ✭✭
    So I can't expect to use my main bosmer archer in end game you mean? If so that's really sad, been enjoying the character a lot, and I have had her for a long time, even though I just resently went back to her. I don't know why, but i have a soft spot for bosmer's ;) My templar and dk are just new characters I recently started, but haven't had a much focus on yet.
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am enjoying my sorcerer more after 1.6 than before.
    :trollin:
    Options
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I can't expect to use my main bosmer archer in end game you mean? If so that's really sad, been enjoying the character a lot, and I have had her for a long time, even though I just resently went back to her. I don't know why, but i have a soft spot for bosmer's ;) My templar and dk are just new characters I recently started, but haven't had a much focus on yet.

My sorc is a Khajiit and he kicks some major butt in PvE so far.

-Thomas Pain

Options
  • AZRainman
    AZRainman
    ✭✭✭
    But it seems like it's a lot of negative talk about sorc's now? Don't get me wrong, I will probably try it anyway, but can anyone say something positive about them now, or should I expext to die a lot? ;)

Been seeing a lot more pet builds lately, which was sort of absent for a few months. Pet builds where generally easy mode PVE back when ESO started
    Options
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy playing a sorc, largely because he has interesting abilities. He can teleport, throw nasty chunks of black crystal around, summon atronachs or turn his skin into lightning. The spell fx are also excellent. While it's a matter of taste, I just enjoy the look/ feel of the class far more than Templars or DK's, though it's close with NB's.

Don't let the class balance issues stop you. They exist, but this last patch helped quite a bit. Don't worry about them unless you intend to heal. For DPS, sorcs are in decent shape. For healing, sorcs are currently the worst class to choose.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

Options
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't level a sorcerer if you are looking to be competitive in any late game PvE content.

It is a fun class to play though, just weak on certain important aspects.
    Options