The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I just did my LAST wood/cloth/smith writ - warning too all

GunemCleric
GunemCleric
✭✭✭
I just did my last writ, they (blacksmith, woodworking, and clothier writs) are a complete and total waste of time and resources. Before the patch to "fix" them we got 5 nirn pieces from blacksmith survey and none from WW or Cloth surveys, which was a little unbalanced. Now you get NONE from any or if you do you get same drop rate as farming for hours in upper crag.

Everyone who I speaking to is saying the same thing, you have introduced yet another gold/resource sink. People in my guild are done too. Take this as a warning to all that this is a system to waste vast resources without any reward

The only useful ones are Enchanting and Alchemy, but next patch will likely ruin those so do them while you can.

I would love to express how I feel toward ZOS, but you clearly do not care about your player base so it would not matter. I have asked for you to step up and actually speak to us and listen, but I see that will never happen.

@‌ZOS_JessicaFolsom (i do not have energy to find other names)
Gunerm Cleric ~ Dragon Knight, Tank ~ vr14
Cruleg Nimec ~ Dragon Knight, DPS ~ vr14
Gunem Cleric ~ Templar, Heals ~ vr3
Cleric Gunem ~ Sorcerer, TBD ~ vr1
Daggerfall Covenant (only) ~ NA
Guts n Glory & Guts n Glory EOC ~ Guildmaster ~ GnG ~ MMO Dark Guild
Daggerfall Cosa Nostra ~ Founder ~ DCN ~ DC guild leaders only (no cross faction PvP guilds)
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes indeed. It's a waste of time, effort and resources.

It's so bad I bugged it.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly enough I got a fortified nirncrux on my very first woodworking writ yesterday. Guess I had beginners luck.
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I figured out they were a waste of time after I did my first one, wasted 100 raw materials got a load of useless crap as a reward and decided never to do one ever again.

I guess you can get a nirncrux thing or two from them, but really just wait a few weeks and they'll be cheap to buy if you can get them from question/farming. It's much more valuable to make use of the raw materials to earn money rather than hoping you get lucky with a reward.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't had to buy mats for these, other then cooking vendor mats. All I do is enchanting, Cooking , and Blacksmith. Blacksmith being the only one I seem to spend more mats then it's worth. I've only got 1 Blacksmith Survey and with it came 5 Nirncrux mats, saves me lots of gold as now I don't have to buy 5 of them for research. Cooking hasn't rewarded me much but I have stacks of everything but the vendor items, enchanting is nice I get Rekuta often and even Kuta a couple times. The cost of these have been nothing other then mats I hadn't sold off.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have not received a Blacksmithing survey report in over a week despite completing the writ every single day. Consider yourself lucky if you receive the writ at all.

It doesn't surprise me that the Nirncrux drop rate has been botched. Every time ZOS tinkers with something, they break it. They never should have tampered with these drop rates or survey reports.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enchanting, Alchemy and Provisioning are just fine. I often have all the required bits, and making the whatever is simple. Worth doing.

Clothing, Woodworking and Blacksmithing cost more than you make in the long term. You may have stuff for the first one or even two writs, but after that you have to come up with a lot of high end mats each time. The actual contract you are offered would be turned down in any real world. A solid negative profit with a small chance for a nice item. No!
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recall people were joking that zos would just remove the nirn from the blacksmithing writ instead of fixing the drops for the other ones. I just don't even...
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • GunemCleric
    GunemCleric
    ✭✭✭
    I should have said the provisioning writs are ok
    Daggerfall Cosa Nostra ~ Founder ~ DCN ~ DC guild leaders only (no cross faction PvP guilds)
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Clothing, Woodworking and Blacksmithing cost more than you make in the long term. You may have stuff for the first one or even two writs, but after that you have to come up with a lot of high end mats each time. The actual contract you are offered would be turned down in any real world. A solid negative profit with a small chance for a nice item. No!

This is no longer the case as of last Thursday's patch. The writs pay 604g now. Even if you are asked to craft 9 woodworking items, those sell for 612g but the reward chest will always contain something worth more than 8g. Most of the time you are asked to craft just 6 items so the writ gold reward contains around 200g of profit above the vendor value of the crafted goods.
    Edited by LonePirate on November 18, 2014 2:57AM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

This is no longer the case as of last Thursday's patch. The writs pay 604g now. Even if you are asked to craft 9 woodworking items, those sell for 612g but the reward chest will always contain something worth more than 8g. Most of the time you are asked to craft just 6 items so the writ gold reward contains around 200g.

So where do you get the mats?
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is no longer the case as of last Thursday's patch. The writs pay 604g now. Even if you are asked to craft 9 woodworking items, those sell for 612g but the reward chest will always contain something worth more than 8g. Most of the time you are asked to craft just 6 items so the writ gold reward contains around 200g.

I farm them, usually in Craglorn but I will also make some passes in my VR8-10 zones. I usually need an hour to farm a stack of all three mat types except Shadowhide which takes longer. The mats from the survey reports will reduce that farming time somewhat.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the crafting quests. It's a bit more gold, as if I would simply sell the materials and I get some mats and have a chance to get a ressource map. It's fun for me and I try to do them every day.

Nirncrux is garbage anyway, who wants this trait ? O.o
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I farm them, usually in Craglorn but I will also make some passes in my VR8-10 zones. I usually need an hour to farm a stack of all three mat types except Shadowhide which takes longer. The mats from the survey reports will reduce that farming time somewhat.
    I make about 3000g an hour questing, or did. My time is worth way more that 600g an hour. I can actually break even buying the mats, but again it's a waste of time.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The second provisioning writ that I did had me brew a bervez lager. My reward? A bervez lager recipe. I stopped doing them after that.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first was in a location in Craglorn that did not exist on the Craglorn Map.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Zed
    Zed
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

Nirnhoned may not be very useful but crafters will need it to access any future 9 or greater trait sets.
    Spend spend spend! 'Cause you don't know any better.
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    milthalas wrote: »
    The second provisioning writ that I did had me brew a bervez lager. My reward? A bervez lager recipe. I stopped doing them after that.

This made me lol... I haven't tried them yet, but this and everything else I've read has me thinking I may not even bother. :( Sad! I was looking forward to this addition.
    ->--Willow--<-
  • GunemCleric
    GunemCleric
    ✭✭✭
    Zed wrote: »
    Dracane wrote: »

Nirnhoned may not be very useful but crafters will need it to access any future 9 or greater trait sets.

This. It is basically 30 days for 9th trait, which means, for example, it will take 2 months to be able to make all 9-trait items in wood. It takes in some cases 3-4 solid hours of farming mats in upper crag to get 1 nirncrap stone. If the writs we dropping 1 per survey it would barely be worth the mats. Then you still have to find someone with the item researched. What happens when 10-trait comes out?

I am not trying to make money off of nirncrap stone, I want to research, but I am not wasting 30-40 hours wandering upper crag just to be able to research, i like playing the game.
    Edited by GunemCleric on November 18, 2014 5:03AM
  • AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭

A stack of refined mats sells for 1500 to 2k, and given it takes basically a whole stack you make more selling the mats to players.
    Edited by AssaultLemming on November 18, 2014 5:06AM
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have farmed thousands of BS, Cloth, WW, and Alchemy mats in upper Craglorn and have yet to get a Nirncrux.

It's just beyond stupid!
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not trying to make money off of nirncrap stone, I want to research, but I am not wasting 30-40 hours wandering upper crag just to be able to research, i like playing the game.

I want to have your Nirncrap baby! Seriously! Quoted for total loving agreement!
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Zed
    Zed
    ✭✭✭
    Livvy wrote: »
    milthalas wrote: »

This made me lol... I haven't tried them yet, but this and everything else I've read has me thinking I may not even bother. :( Sad! I was looking forward to this addition.
    What's nice about the provision writs is that if you've got the points in the skills that increase the amount of food you make, you can hold on to the food and use it for the next day's writ. Same with alchemy. It's really efficient and a nice way of making a small amount of money.
    Spend spend spend! 'Cause you don't know any better.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    I just did my last writ, they (blacksmith, woodworking, and clothier writs) are a complete and total waste of time and resources. Before the patch to "fix" them we got 5 nirn pieces from blacksmith survey and none from WW or Cloth surveys, which was a little unbalanced. Now you get NONE from any or if you do you get same drop rate as farming for hours in upper crag.

Everyone who I speaking to is saying the same thing, you have introduced yet another gold/resource sink. People in my guild are done too. Take this as a warning to all that this is a system to waste vast resources without any reward

The only useful ones are Enchanting and Alchemy, but next patch will likely ruin those so do them while you can.

I would love to express how I feel toward ZOS, but you clearly do not care about your player base so it would not matter. I have asked for you to step up and actually speak to us and listen, but I see that will never happen.

... maybe if people weren't blatantly rude to them and say they don't care about their player base, they would actually get on here and respond to people. The only times I've seen them respond in forums is whenever people ask questions to them in a calm, respective tone and are grateful for the response when one is given. They are people. Would you get on here and post if you knew all you were going to get is whiplashed and ridiculed? I know I wouldn't, thank you @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ and @ZOS_GinaBruno to name a few. Sorry for everyone being so hateful to you
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is no longer the case as of last Thursday's patch. The writs pay 604g now. Even if you are asked to craft 9 woodworking items, those sell for 612g but the reward chest will always contain something worth more than 8g. Most of the time you are asked to craft just 6 items so the writ gold reward contains around 200g of profit above the vendor value of the crafted goods.

The last woodworking writ I completed was asking for 9 woodworking items though: 3 bows and 6 staves in nightwood. This was before 1.5.4 though.
    Wololo.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna do the crafting writs... for the fun of it... not the gain. I just play the game to have fun and pass time, not get invested in my character being the baddest mofo alive.
  • GunemCleric
    GunemCleric
    ✭✭✭

... maybe if people weren't blatantly rude to them and say they don't care about their player base, they would actually get on here and respond to people. The only times I've seen them respond in forums is whenever people ask questions to them in a calm, respective tone and are grateful for the response when one is given. They are people. Would you get on here and post if you knew all you were going to get is whiplashed and ridiculed? I know I wouldn't, thank you @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ and @ZOS_GinaBruno to name a few. Sorry for everyone being so hateful to you

You must be new here, no offense. Asking nicely has almost never worked. Calling them names or raging has rarely worked. Being a little passionate and clearly stating what the issue is and why such that other players who agree will comment and agree tends to be the right mix.

A lot of people are angry about this. They broke it without acknowledging it and have created a system that simply wastes valuable resources. There is a severe lack of communication with players and connection to player concerns. The whole nirncrap thing really demonstrates a total disregard for player time. It takes 30 days to research 9 trait (i can live with that), but it should not take 30 hours of wandering around to get materials to do the research, fine if in the wild, but if i am going to waste huge amount of resources then it should have a real payoff, such as a survey that drops no less than one of each nirncrap trait. I do not need quicksilver or maple or cotton, the token return on voidstone or nightwood are a joke.

You think this is put in place buy people who are connected to the community and therefore care? I would love to see them actually put forth a spokesperson who actually speaks and listens to the community. They do not listen, they respond. If they listened no one would be putting their @ tags in posts.
  • Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It just seems to me that the writ system is there for new/lower leveled players to advance there crafting skills. So if you are a veteran rank with several points in a crafting line the return with be much less. I don't think this is very motivating for the current player base but to make a general statement that no one should do them is misleading. For some they will be very useful.
  • Leijona
    Leijona
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the blacksmith crafting writs whenever I can. I don't even know, what I should do with the mats instead of doing the writs.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's called customer service. That's why I don't do it anymore, but if I purposefully ignored my customers when I used to, I would have been fired. I'm not suggesting people should be rude, but honestly it's something you just expect from customers occasionally and you deal with or you find a different job.
    :trollin:
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

You must be new here, no offense. Asking nicely has almost never worked. Calling them names or raging has rarely worked. Being a little passionate and clearly stating what the issue is and why such that other players who agree will comment and agree tends to be the right mix.

A lot of people are angry about this. They broke it without acknowledging it and have created a system that simply wastes valuable resources. There is a severe lack of communication with players and connection to player concerns. The whole nirncrap thing really demonstrates a total disregard for player time. It takes 30 days to research 9 trait (i can live with that), but it should not take 30 hours of wandering around to get materials to do the research, fine if in the wild, but if i am going to waste huge amount of resources then it should have a real payoff, such as a survey that drops no less than one of each nirncrap trait. I do not need quicksilver or maple or cotton, the token return on voidstone or nightwood are a joke.

You think this is put in place buy people who are connected to the community and therefore care? I would love to see them actually put forth a spokesperson who actually speaks and listens to the community. They do not listen, they respond. If they listened no one would be putting their @ tags in posts.

I'm definitely not new... In fact I have the same forum rank as you. But I agree, being passionate and having people agree works. I was simply meaning that you are at least respectful when you ask the question, not raging and calling them out. I understand it's a problem, I'm happy people are on here looking for fixes, but it's not ok to be blatantly rude.