The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do You Want Achievements To Be Account Wide?

KanedaSyndrome
KanedaSyndrome
✭✭✭✭
I've grown rather frustrated with the way achievements are handled in ESO, from fishing and trophy gathering to other time swallowing achievements and on to achievements that might not make sense for character A to do, but make fine sense for character B to do (murdering NPCs etc.)
The lack of account wide achievements mean that getting 100% complete on your achievements is rather impossible. If they were account wide there would be no issue, plus the bonus of being able to fish with your friends once again on alt characters etc.
Edited by KanedaSyndrome on March 9, 2016 2:15PM
KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
The Best Plans Require No Action

Do You Want Achievements To Be Account Wide? 522 votes

Yes, make achievements account wide, please.
67%
rfennell_ESOAsia_SkylySolarikennexxus_ESOFat_Cat45c.p.garrett1993_ESOGilvothk9mouseSunraMisterBigglesworthNajjynnKattemynteWhitePawPrintsZardayneagabahmeatshieldb14_ESONewBlacksmurfcodybrewer78b14_ESOEthromelb14_ESOIllumousWalkingLegacy 353 votes
No, I'd rather not, due to "reasons".
28%
IcyDeadPeopleTabbycatElloaGidorickvailjohn_ESOItsMeTooclayandaudrey_ESOLrdRahvinAcrolasdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOderuddb14_ESOArobainDaveMoeDeeRatatouillegw2only1b14_ESOOsteosDominoidAmsel_McKaylolo_01b16_ESOKendaric 148 votes
I just want to see the results/I don't care.
4%
Esquire1980g_ESOthomas1970b16_ESOdennissomb16_ESOAldruinShogunamistojekarcub18_ESObottleofsyrupNapoleonicusReaporIyasRecremenjkemmeryZenzukiEasily_LostWhatzituyahKaleidoscopeEyzZerokCherryCakeFLuFFyxMuFFiNMarque 21 votes
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    achievements that might not make sense for character A to do, but make fine sense for character B to do (murdering NPCs etc.)

The "reasons" I wouldn't want this; it makes no sense for character A to get credit for what character B did and vice versa, and diminishes individuality and replayability. This also goes for learning motifs and the like; if everything became account-wide, our characters would just be little more than separate skins rather than having their own progress and achievements that set them apart. I can definitely see the other side of the argument, but personally I value those distinctions.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on March 9, 2016 2:22PM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely some should be account wide. I can see why some are (and should stay) per character, such as Pathfinders, Skyshards and Quests. Some are so time consuming tho that you shouldn't be expected to complete them for every alt.
    PS4 EU
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No because your premise that you need to get 100% completion on every toon is a fallacy to begin with. Just play the darn game and enjoy it.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Nice unbiased poll when the "no" option says "because reasons". At least we know where you stand.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters are individuals in their own right, and not simply different reflections of my account. As such they do things differently so that while it will make sense for my nightblade assassin to rise through the Thieves Guild with all associated achievements, it would make no sense whatsoever for my holy paladin type templar to share those achievements.

I want each of my characters to earn their achievements individually, just as I would much prefer them to unlock their own dyes and earn their own champion points. I play multiple characters in order that I can build and level them differently through the game, if they simply took everything that the other characters had earned there'd be no fun or sense of achievement in playing them.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    Definitely some should be account wide. I can see why some are (and should stay) per character, such as Pathfinders, Skyshards and Quests. Some are so time consuming tho that you shouldn't be expected to complete them for every alt.

Why should time be a factor in a game designed to be played for years and in which the most common complaint is that the people who want to eliminate time-consuming activities have nothing to do?
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends which achievements

Definitely: Fishing

Crafting ( do not mistake this for allowing me to use motifs on all chars I don't want that, but I want the achievement for having unlocked say Glass motif, Dwemer & Xivkyn on my entire account ), not just my crafter. Same applies for trait research...

Possibly: Justice, can't think of any more than those 3

So In conclusion I think just those 3 should be an exception to the rule, other than that I am more than happy to grind slayer, exploration, dolmens, storyline ect. on all my alts when I feel like it...

(note I have more than 4 characters, I have 24 in total... Before replying with "you just have 4 chars")

I just list the ones I play
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think they should revisit their Achievement system, it could add alot of fun to do, but now most just skip it. Even they manage to get people to do it once, that should be success already, like 300 hour of content. What Im saying current Achievement system is for Elitist, Leadeboards should be the Elitist thing in the game. Achievement system what most players would love to do and something fun would make more sense to me and of course add extra content to the game.

Or then give better rewards for Achievements, something what Elitist players deserve, Dyes are just an insult. Needless to say something just aint right, actually Ive figured out a perfect reward for Elite players, for those who play Leaderboards and do Achievements, and its Elite Gear Upgrade after Legendary. Players can get them via Achievements or Leaderboards.

How about higher your Achievement Score is, better your chance is to get Elite Upgrades, from purchasable lottery bags. That should be a good kicker to do Achievements. Higher your Achievement Score, less money you have to spend.
    Edited by Sausage on March 9, 2016 3:24PM
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some make sense and some don't.
  • Refuse2GrowUp
    Refuse2GrowUp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing generals at dolmens, fishing, collecting trophies from enemy mob types, etc. These are things that should be account wide.

Tho I do concede, there are some achievements that should be individual and not account based.
    PS4 NA Server

CP160 DK Firemage
    CP160 StamSorc
    CP160 Templar Healer
    CP160 Stam NB
    CP160 Magica Sorc
    Cp160 Stamplar
    CP160 Magicka NB
    CP160 DK Tank
    CP160 Stam DK
    CP160 Mag Templar
    CP160 Blazing Shield Templar

EP Loyalist
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some should be account wide, some shouldn't.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I said yes because it is annoying to have my sorc main character do things better done by my other characters, it isn't a huge deal to me. I already get the colors unlocked by some achiements, so my Argonian Nightblade can run around in stealthy shiny pink armor because my sorc completed the fishing achievement (wow, did that take a long time!), so it's not a huge deal, would just be nice.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and never will happen.

Many acheivements unlock/ provide specific benefit to the specific character and should not be shared account wide. Titles from AvA and completion for specific content are tied to the acheivements. All undaunted achievements provide undaunted XP for leveling up the skill line initially.

If acheivements were a found wide any new characters would never receive the titles or undaunted acheivements listed above, and other benefits.

Zos would need to develope an entire new system to manage all this and let's face it, that's a horrible idea since Zos is not exactly great the whole creating code thing let alone envisioning a good means to do things.

Edit: I seriously doubt anyone anyone voting in favor of this change will ever have 100% completion there is much there and some of it provides fabulous challenges.
    Edited by idk on March 9, 2016 3:24PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some should be. I wish AP was account wide so I could play any character and build AP for the account and buy what I want for whichever character. Spending it should be per character of course. It would just be nice to be able to switch to something different once in a while. Also for those people that reroll characters for non vet pvp.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    achievements that might not make sense for character A to do, but make fine sense for character B to do (murdering NPCs etc.)

The "reasons" I wouldn't want this; it makes no sense for character A to get credit for what character B did and vice versa, and diminishes individuality and replayability. This also goes for learning motifs and the like; if everything became account-wide, our characters would just be little more than separate skins rather than having their own progress and achievements that set them apart. I can definitely see the other side of the argument, but personally I value those distinctions.

Personally I see achievements as "achievements of the player, not of the character", which is why I'd like to see it be account wide instead of character based.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Lol. Nice unbiased poll when the "no" option says "because reasons". At least we know where you stand.

Indeed :smile:
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no but, erm. I just think that it would like be an "all or nothing" approach where they were suddenly all shared, but there are some I really think shouldn't be shared. :/
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    It depends which achievements

Definitely: Fishing

Crafting ( do not mistake this for allowing me to use motifs on all chars I don't want that, but I want the achievement for having unlocked say Glass motif, Dwemer & Xivkyn on my entire account ), not just my crafter. Same applies for trait research...

Possibly: Justice, can't think of any more than those 3

So In conclusion I think just those 3 should be an exception to the rule, other than that I am more than happy to grind slayer, exploration, dolmens, storyline ect. on all my alts when I feel like it...

(note I have more than 4 characters, I have 24 in total... Before replying with "you just have 4 chars")

I just list the ones I play

Some good arguments. I still see the achievements as being of the player, and not of the character, that's my disposition.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Achievements are of the character rather than the player. You completed SO Hard Mode on your v14 (at the time) DK, not on your level 20 NB, after all.

But I would not be opposed to an account-wide aggregation that lists all achievements earned by all characters and lists who earned what. As long as each character still has their own list.
    The Moot Councillor
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    I think Achievements are of the character rather than the player. You completed SO Hard Mode on your v14 (at the time) DK, not on your level 20 NB, after all.

But I would not be opposed to an account-wide aggregation that lists all achievements earned by all characters and lists who earned what. As long as each character still has their own list.

That could be a working compromise. When viewing your achievements, you'd see it account wide, but you'd also see which of your characters first provided the specific achievement, that way perhaps both camps get what they want.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

That could be a working compromise. When viewing your achievements, you'd see it account wide, but you'd also see which of your characters first provided the specific achievement, that way perhaps both camps get what they want.

Yes! I think that would be a great compromise. Even though I feel some achievements should be character bound, it wuold be nice to see a list and actually see achievements that I haven't completed ever.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I enjoy about leveling alts is dinging achievements again.
    Having achievements across my account would decrease my overall sense of enjoyment of the account.
    Also role-play issues, if characters had achievements for tasks they would never perform.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes, unless they decide to make achievements give you some kind of passive ability which I think would be cool.
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like that it's character bound. Never understood why people want everything to be account wide nowadays.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want every game to stop calling them Achievements and start calling them Activities Checklist or something mundane like that. Then we wouldn't have people peddling all the time for easier imaginary "accomplishments." They'd just take the character they like and do an activity they like. Like a summer camp. Or the *** *** digital theme park that MMOs really are.
    signing off
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some definitely should be. Things like "kill x number of whatever" should be for sure. As a general rule, I support account wide features. I like playing Alts, but I hate feeling like I have to do everything on my DK (achievement toon) first. I would generally like quest/exploration achievements to be as well. It would be cool to see one snapshot of the total game you have completed.

More elite content, things like trials or VMA, should probably be specific to the character. I am more concerned about titles than achievements though. I dont think clearing a VMA on a Sorc should allow you to have the stormproof title on your DK or your level 3 mule.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I enjoy doing stuff to get achievements and wouldnt want every alt to not be able to do them because one of them had already taken care of it for them.
    Edited by Volkodav on June 10, 2016 2:14PM
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeon Achievements help level Undaunted, and without a change there it would take longer. So no I don't want them to be account based. I happen to like having multiple Endgame characters a bit sooner, rather than later.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like have both ways via toggle switch. One way, one can see account wide achievements and when on ones the toggle option, it will show only the char that one is currenting playing achievements.
    I would like to see the achievement, but account wide does NOT affect the current char in terms of skill lines, titles, etc
    Edited by k9mouse on March 9, 2016 6:39PM
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing generals at dolmens, fishing, collecting trophies from enemy mob types, etc. These are things that should be account wide.

Tho I do concede, there are some achievements that should be individual and not account based.

I agree with this. For certain things, it makes sense. Fishing especially - I do not have the time and patience to do that on every character.

But I would not want things like skyshards/lorebooks/delve bosses/zone completions and other regular gameplay achievements that are easy to complete to be shared.
This discussion has been closed.