The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[ZOS UPDATE] Mercenary style mat (laurel) is BoP and only drops if you know the style?!

ThatNeonZebraAgain
ThatNeonZebraAgain
✭✭✭✭✭
From notes:
This chance is also modified by your knowledge of the Mercenary style: If you know zero Chapters of the style, you will never receive a Laurel from any source. If you know all 14 Chapters, you will always receive a Laurel from Veteran dungeon final bosses, every time you kill one.
Laurels are Bind on Pickup - they cannot be sold, traded, or mailed.

I'm usually not one for hyperbole, but I really, really do not understand this decision at all. This means my account will probably never be able to have Mercenary styled items (which was shaping up to be one of my favorites based on the initial designs) simply because of how I've spread out/leveled my crafting abilities over the last year and a half. My crafting alts are level 16ish and all have 8+ traits learned and know all styles (except Glass and Xivkyn because I find them ugly). My main is a VR16 tank who has no traits researched and no rare styles learned, but who recently gained level 50 of all crafting lines (except enchanting) for purposes of writs. So, while doing dailies on my main I can get motif pages alright, but if I give them to my alts to learn and use like I have with every other style, my main will then never be eligible to receive the mat from a drop. BUT, if I learn the pages on my main, the style is virtually wasted because I've yet to research any traits on that character. Given the significant time and gold investment in building a crafter (traits and styles), this design penalizes all those who don't have crafters as main characters. Please at least give some drop chance or other way to get the style mat even if you haven't learned any part of the style.

UPDATE
Official response from ZOS clarifying drop rates for motif pages and laurel:
MSchroeder wrote: »
There’s been a lot of discussion about the Mercenary motif since it appeared on the PTS yesterday, and we’d like to clear up some misconceptions and answer some questions.

First, we’ve seen your concerns about the time and effort it’s going to take to obtain all the chapters of the motif. We’re aware that some of you feel that the other recently-released motifs are too grueling to get, so we wanted Mercenary to be more easily obtained. Bronze chests will drop a chapter 40% of the time; Silver chests, 50% of the time; Gold chests, 60% of the time.

We’ve also seen some confusion when we say that the Laurels (the style item required to craft a piece of gear in the Mercenary style) are Bind on Pickup. To be clear, when we say ‘Bind on Pickup’, we mean it binds to your account, not your character. This means that any of your characters can earn a Laurel, bank it, and let any of your other characters use it.

Finally, we’ve seen lots of talk about how the Laurels will only drop for characters who know at least one chapter of the style. One thing we didn’t mention in the patch notes, however, is that this is not a simple 0%-100% scale – while knowing zero chapters of the style does mean you won’t ever see a Laurel, having just one chapter means that final bosses from Veteran Dungeon will have a 50% chance to drop a Laurel for you. From there, it scales up linearly to 100% (approx. +4% per chapter). Note that the drop rate of Laurels from final bosses in Normal Dungeons Laurel is always 1/4th of their Veteran counterparts.

If you’re concerned that you now have to get your crafting character suited up and ready for dungeons, consider this: With just one chapter under your belt – likely obtained after only a day’s worth of Pledges – your most Undaunted character will be getting a Laurel about every other run through a Veteran Dungeon.
Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on October 20, 2015 8:06PM
Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
Wayra High Elf Sorceress
Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From notes:
    This chance is also modified by your knowledge of the Mercenary style: If you know zero Chapters of the style, you will never receive a Laurel from any source. If you know all 14 Chapters, you will always receive a Laurel from Veteran dungeon final bosses, every time you kill one.

I'm usually not one for hyperbole, but I really, really do not understand this decision at all. This means my account will probably never be able to have Mercenary styled items (which was shaping up to be one of my favorites based on the initial designs) because of how I've spread out/leveled my crafting abilities. My crafting alts are level 16ish and all have 8+ traits learned and know all styles (except Glass and Xivkyn because I find them ugly). My main is a VR16 tank who has no traits researched and no rare styles learned, but who recently gained level 50 of all crafting lines (except enchanting) for purposes of writs. So, while doing dailies on my main I can get motif pages alright, but if I give them to my alts to learn and use like I have with every other style, my main will then never be eligible to receive the mat for a drop. BUT, if I learn the pages on my main, the style is virtually wasted because I've yet to research any traits on that character. Given the significant time and gold investment in building a crafter (traits and styles), this design penalizes all those who don't have crafters as main characters. Please at least give some drop chance or other way to get the style mat even if you haven't learned any part of the style.
    ZOS needs to start supporting account wide setups.
  • Ruben
    Ruben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn the styles with your lvl 16 char, get a group of 3 VR16 guildies with you as the leader and farm lvl 16 dungeons for a very fast and easy farming of laurel for everyone.
    DK Stamina DPS
    DK Magicka DPS
    DK Tank
    Templar Healer
    Sorcerer Stamina DPS
    Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Nightblade Stamina DPS
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't worry too much yet, this item is sure to show up in the crown store after enough people complain about it.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruben wrote: »
    Learn the styles with your lvl 16 char, get a group of 3 VR16 guildies with you as the leader and farm lvl 16 dungeons for a very fast and easy farming of laurel for everyone.

And wait how many more months before I can craft the armor I want to use because of having to research the necessary traits (including nirn)?
    Slurg wrote: »
    Don't worry too much yet, this item is sure to show up in the crown store after enough people complain about it.

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the point. Engineer inconvenience to encourage cash shop sales :(
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on October 19, 2015 8:47PM
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And wait how many more months before I can craft the armor I want to use because of having to research the necessary traits (including nirn)?

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the point. Engineer inconvenience to encourage cash shop sales :(

I don't like it either but it's the direction they've been going lately.

Getting together a strong group to run pledges with your crafter may be the only alternative.

Perhaps someone will be kind enough to put out a guide - easy dungeons to run for crafters.
    Edited by Slurg on October 19, 2015 8:54PM
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it either but it's the direction they've been going lately.

Getting together a strong group to run pledges with your crafter may be the only alternative.

That would require leveling and respeccing my crafting alts. I made my crafters to craft, not fight -- how I've structured my characters in MMOs for over a decade. IF I had known all this over a year ago when I started building up my crafters' style and trait knowledge, I would've gladly researched traits on my main, but who knew that new crafting styles and systems would be so player unfriendly. It is incredibly frustrating how so many of ZOS's designs penalize long-term players.
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on October 19, 2015 9:03PM
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gawd, why does ZOS seem to make things increasingly more complicated with each new update?
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me what Laurels thing is?
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

It's the style material for the Mercenary style.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

The style material required to craft an item in the new Mercenary style.
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say this. I craft for most of my guild (being the only master crafter and guy that learns every style) and I do it free, they just have to give me the mats b/c I actually play the game and don't farm mats to sell. This will continue, meaning, nobody (but me) will get this style in our guild as I'll be the only one who can craft it and will not be running dungeons endlessly just to get laurel to 'sell' to people that want the armor style crafted. Kind of a dumb decision to limit crafting more.

But never fear, they will probably sell laurel in the crown store soon. And, they are going to be selling a merc costume, so no need to even craft it.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Levo18
    Levo18
    ✭✭✭✭
    They definitely will sell them in the crown store thats why they make them hard to obtain mark my words!

Poor attempt to make people spend money
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait till November 10th for a game that starts with F and ends with 4.

ZoS introduces way too much busywork for ESO!
    PC EU
  • Zinaroth
    Zinaroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From notes:

I'm usually not one for hyperbole, but I really, really do not understand this decision at all. This means my account will probably never be able to have Mercenary styled items (which was shaping up to be one of my favorites based on the initial designs) because of how I've spread out/leveled my crafting abilities. My crafting alts are level 16ish and all have 8+ traits learned and know all styles (except Glass and Xivkyn because I find them ugly). My main is a VR16 tank who has no traits researched and no rare styles learned, but who recently gained level 50 of all crafting lines (except enchanting) for purposes of writs. So, while doing dailies on my main I can get motif pages alright, but if I give them to my alts to learn and use like I have with every other style, my main will then never be eligible to receive the mat for a drop. BUT, if I learn the pages on my main, the style is virtually wasted because I've yet to research any traits on that character. Given the significant time and gold investment in building a crafter (traits and styles), this design penalizes all those who don't have crafters as main characters. Please at least give some drop chance or other way to get the style mat even if you haven't learned any part of the style.
    ZOS needs to start supporting account wide setups.

No. You're already way better off in this game if you spread out your play time on several characters compared to only focusing on one when it comes to crafting, making gold and anything else that is related to a daily quest. There needs to be some boons to people who invest heavily on one character.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the intended mechanic is I collect laurels/chapters on my toon that does dailys, and the laurels I've collected but can't use along with the inconvenience of farming the motif twice makes me feel motivated to buy the book from the crown store for my crafter.

It doesn't bother me personally as long as this f2p-style nonsense says out of the gameplay. I do feel sorry for crafting completionists though.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem like a bad grind compared to glass and ziv, I have a ton of gold and silver keys still sitting around, they said the chances are good to get a chapter drop, so between some trading and some luck shouldn't be any harder than dwemer was, maybe easier.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From notes:

I'm usually not one for hyperbole, but I really, really do not understand this decision at all. This means my account will probably never be able to have Mercenary styled items (which was shaping up to be one of my favorites based on the initial designs) simply because of how I've spread out/leveled my crafting abilities over the last year and a half. My crafting alts are level 16ish and all have 8+ traits learned and know all styles (except Glass and Xivkyn because I find them ugly). My main is a VR16 tank who has no traits researched and no rare styles learned, but who recently gained level 50 of all crafting lines (except enchanting) for purposes of writs. So, while doing dailies on my main I can get motif pages alright, but if I give them to my alts to learn and use like I have with every other style, my main will then never be eligible to receive the mat from a drop. BUT, if I learn the pages on my main, the style is virtually wasted because I've yet to research any traits on that character. Given the significant time and gold investment in building a crafter (traits and styles), this design penalizes all those who don't have crafters as main characters. Please at least give some drop chance or other way to get the style mat even if you haven't learned any part of the style.

I don't see how this is that big of an issue. Malachite right now is BoP but you can put it in the bank. Why can't you do this with Laurel and the style chapters? Just learn them all on your main char and give duplicates to your crafter alt. It does seem like a bit of a quirky system.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ruben
    Ruben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I though it was your level sixteen character the one that had all the traits and styles learned.
    DK Stamina DPS
    DK Magicka DPS
    DK Tank
    Templar Healer
    Sorcerer Stamina DPS
    Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Nightblade Stamina DPS
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first question should be, why does it have to be bound? Why does Malachite have to be bound? I'm looking for a serious answer. Crafting mats should never be bound unless it's some ultra special unique item. A standard style stone for crafting? Nope.

Bound status should be used as a last resort for items that are unique or meant to have some special rarity (trial gear) or require personal effort to acquire (trophies).
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 19, 2015 9:16PM
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    From notes:

I don't see how this is that big of an issue. Malachite right now is BoP but you can put it in the bank. Why can't you do this with Laurel and the style chapters? Just learn them all on your main char and give duplicates to your crafter alt. It does seem like a bit of a quirky system.

Malachite shards are not BoP, so you can buy/trade 10 shards and make the full, BoP mat on the character/account you want it on. So for laurel though, I just need to farm 2 full sets of the motif to be able to craft it on my account? Great design.

Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first question should be, why does it have to be bound? Why does Malachite have to be bound? I'm looking for a serious answer. Crafting mats should never be bound unless it's some ultra special unique item. A standard style stone for crafting? Nope.

Bound status should be used as a last resort for items that are unique or meant to have some special rarity (trial gear) or require personal effort to acquire (trophies).

Malachite shards aren't bound though.
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again with the farming of new materials and motifs eh ZOS? Tsk.

To fix this, why not add a fixed number of Laurels to the chests each time you open? 1 for bronze, 2 for silver and 3 for gold? They can be either BOE or BOP. So as long as you are doing the pledges you should be rewarded, and mats can be transferred to crafting characters if needed. Like how the chapters work, except the chapters don't have a definite chance of dropping.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is exactly why it's so boggling that the fused Malachite is.

• Ruben
    Ruben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is exactly why it's so boggling that the fused Malachite is.

They wanted to add Malachite to the Crown Store, but they didn't want anyone to sell Crowns for in game gold with that. Making it BoP solves that problem.
    DK Stamina DPS
    DK Magicka DPS
    DK Tank
    Templar Healer
    Sorcerer Stamina DPS
    Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Nightblade Stamina DPS
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From notes:

Malachite shards are not BoP, so you can buy/trade 10 shards and make the full, BoP mat on the character/account you want it on. So for laurel though, I just need to farm 2 full sets of the motif to be able to craft it on my account? Great design.

I was just saying you can still *trade* anything you loot to your alt by depositing it in the bank. Since you can't sell any of the chapters you're going to need to run a *ton* of undaunted to get a full set on any character....which means even if you give every first page to your crafter alt you'll get a ton of duplicates for your main and more laurels than you'll ever need before all is said and done. The only inconvenience will be if on day one you get a recipe you may not immediate be able to use it for awhile as you probably wont get any laurels until you start getting duplicates.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sorta thing this is brilliant, it's a specific reward of doing Undaunted stuff...
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    From notes:

The problem with their proposed (and ongoing) system is that it just is pushing people towards just buying these motifs outright on the crown store. I run pledges on 6 characters (lol). I don't want to have to farm 15+ motifs for all 6 characters just so I get a drop rate chance.

As others have said, I'd be okay with these systems if it took account-wide motif knowledge into consideration.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From notes:

I was just saying you can still *trade* anything you loot to your alt by depositing it in the bank. Since you can't sell any of the chapters you're going to need to run a *ton* of undaunted to get a full set on any character....which means even if you give every first page to your crafter alt you'll get a ton of duplicates for your main and more laurels than you'll ever need before all is said and done. The only inconvenience will be if on day one you get a recipe you may not immediate be able to use it for awhile as you probably wont get any laurels until you start getting duplicates.

Yes, I see your point, and that is probably what I will end up doing for the limited time left I will be playing this game.

But from here on out, let's focus discussion not on my particular situation, but rather on the larger issues this system presents. I wasn't trying to make this thread about me, but about how it penalizes longer-term players and those who have structured their crafting/playing characters in ways that don't fit this idiotic design. Here are a couple excellent quotes from the patch notes thread:
    Rosveen wrote: »
    That's it, my crafter's dead. If you're going to disincentivize specialized crafting chars and push us into playing a jack-of-all-trades, I want an option to transfer researched traits and motifs to another character. This isn't at all what the system looked like when I started the game in April 2014. You gave us free respecs after significant changes to abilities, it's only fair to do the same with crafting.

Kerioko wrote: »
    Over 12 months of maxing out an alt crafter with every craft, style, and trait.....That's for the big "FU" ZOS for those of use that have alts specialized in other things. Bad enough I have to level all my crafting skills on my main just to get quality node mats in the new update. Now I have to go and relearn a year worth of crafting so I can craft the new style......

Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on October 19, 2015 10:05PM
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From notes:

Yes, I see your point, and that is probably what I will end up doing for the limited time left I will be playing this game.

But from here on out, let's focus discussion not on my particular situation, but rather on the larger issues this system presents. I wasn't trying to make this thread about me, but about how it penalizes longer-term players and those who have structured their crafting/playing characters in ways that don't fit this idiotic design. Here are a couple excellent quotes from the patch notes thread:
    Rosveen wrote: »
    That's it, my crafter's dead. If you're going to disincentivize specialized crafting chars and push us into playing a jack-of-all-trades, I want an option to transfer researched traits and motifs to another character. This isn't at all what the system looked like when I started the game in April 2014. You gave us free respecs after significant changes to abilities, it's only fair to do the same with crafting.

Kerioko wrote: »
    Over 12 months of maxing out an alt crafter with every craft, style, and trait.....That's for the big "FU" ZOS for those of use that have alts specialized in other things. Bad enough I have to level all my crafting skills on my main just to get quality node mats in the new update. Now I have to go and relearn a year worth of crafting so I can craft the new style......

I agree with the points. They've been screwing the crafting system since day 1. I spent my first 3 months of playing and a ton of gold levelling all my alts to 3/3 Hirelings just so I could get gold drops...then soon after they completely nerfed the drop rates.

The other main thing that they did which for most people let happen without a whisper of complaint that I saw was make equal level dropped items have the exact same stats as crafted items....which is something that crafted items always had a slight advantage on.

That said, they're trying to make some difficult grinds in the game that can easily be overcome with a crown store purchase and TBH I'm fine with that. The primary source of income for ZoS has to be crowns and as long as those items continue to be "flavor" or "style" type items I'm fine with that. It's no different than skins in your average MOBA. They make it hard to acquire so you're more likely to buy it in the store. Nothing wrong with that IMO....they have to make $$$ or the game dies.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is genius, this stops people selling Laurel for insane prices where it really should be used by players who have learnt the system, the crafters of the game world. Why earn something when you don't understand the system its been built for, great job ZOS love it!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.