The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

GAME CRASHING HAS RETURNED :(

Carsten27
Carsten27
Hi guys, shortly after launch i was having major trouble with crashing that would happen only in highly charged circumstances like big battles or high population areas. i eventually figured out it was due to my operating system (32-bit windows 7) not being able to support the RAM required to hand these situations. after uprgading to 64 bit my computer could make use of the full 8 GB and therefore not crash.

Now since update 6 or TAMRIEL UNLIMITED RELEASE, i constantly crash in battles (as most campaigns are full to the brim of players).

does anyone know how to fix this?

i have 8 GB RAM, NVDIA GTX 660 graphics card and a powerful CPU, THE COMPUTER IS BASICALLY BRAND NEW!

anyone else experiencing this or have found a fix?

pls help! at release i spend 3 months trying to find out a fix, i hope i can fix it alot faster! :)
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't wonder that switching into 64bit system can make ESO use more than 4Gb RAM. It's still a 32-bit application. But i doubt it uses even more than 2Gb.

Try this:
    Open C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live (or liveeu for EU server)
    open usersettings.txt file.
    Change similiar strings to this:
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"
    Edited by LameoveR on March 23, 2015 5:27AM
    Options
  • Carsten27
    Carsten27
    oh really? okay :) well ill give it a try
    Options
  • Carsten27
    Carsten27
    loging into cyrodil now, and will report if any crashes :)
    Options
  • LorAmas
    LorAmas
    ✭✭
    Game is crashing for me too in similar scenarios - usually in a town or busy area. I'm on Win 7 32 bit with 4GB RAM. I've seen others posting with similar issues. Was working fine about a month ago.
    Options
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    Lately (post 1.6/2.0) i have had a couple of lock-ups, but before this the game had been very stable. the only time i have "issues" is when spawning in town, sometimes i can run half way through a town and still be waiting for objects to load, let alone characters (pc + npc), sometimes takes a couple of minutes. lastnight's freeze occured whilst running through Skywatch.

im running: Win7-64, 1st gen i7-2.6GHz, 2GB ram, HD4870(512MB). i run medium settings, no effects and get ~30fps on average.
    Edited by LaughingJack on March 23, 2015 9:20PM
    Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
    Options
  • Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lately (post 1.6/2.0) i have had a couple of lock-ups, but before this the game had been very stable. the only time i have "issues" is when spawning in town, sometimes i can run half way through a town and still be waiting for objects to load, let alone characters (pc + npc), sometimes takes a couple of minutes. lastnight's freeze occured whilst running through Skywatch.

im running: Win7-64, 1st gen i7-2.6GHz, 2GB ram, HD4870(512MB). i run medium settings, no effects and get ~30fps on average.

Need to drop some more RAM in there. Whether 2 sticks of 2GB or 1 stick of 4GB, depends on your motherboard and CPU.
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been crashing during loading screens since the big patch. I had no problems at all with crashes before the patch and I am running a win7 32 bit machine. Now trying to use a wayshrine or changing characters causes a black screen.

For me going into the usersettings.txt and changing the line "SET GraphicsDriver7 "D3D11"" to SET GraphicsDriver7 "OPENGL"" makes it so I can play the game, but the graphics are really ugly.

I started a ticket on it and was first getting answers that it was because I had a 32bit computer. I kept pointing out I had zero problems before so unless the patch caused the minimum required specs to become quite a bit higher that wasn't the problem. Now they just say it is a known issue and they are working on it.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • rabbiddogb14_ESO
    Well, this is my first time playing since Unlimited went live and the game has locked up on me 4 times today. Never happened before that. Used to I could play the game all day long without a single issue. Now I get the game locking up consistently. And, unlike other apps that stop responding, I can't switch to desktop or Task Manager to kill the game. I actually have to hit ctrl+alt+delete and chose log out. I can chose task manager, and it starts, but I can't switch to it (alt+tab), the screen just stays black. Definitely something wonky with the new game build.
    Edited by rabbiddogb14_ESO on March 24, 2015 12:05AM
    Options
  • Clansman2013
    Clansman2013
    ✭✭✭
    Well, this is my first time playing since Unlimited went live and the game has locked up on me 4 times today. Never happened before that. Used to I could play the game all day long without a single issue. Now I get the game locking up consistently. And, unlike other apps that stop responding, I can't switch to desktop or Task Manager to kill the game. I actually have to hit ctrl+alt+delete and chose log out. I can chose task manager, and it starts, but I can't switch to it (alt+tab), the screen just stays black. Definitely something wonky with the new game build.

Exact same problem here. Game was running fine until today's patch, but so far in an hour of play, I have crashed twice and both times I have to kill the game using task manager.

Windows 64
    16GB RAM
    AMD 8350 8 core CPU
    GTX760 gfx card

OS and all drivers are up to date.

Options
  • garageband2006b14_ESO
    I have the same problem as everyone here. Crashed 3 times in Mournhold.
    Options
  • KetrinC
    KetrinC
    I hoped for a fix for these crashes after the last update, but still the game crashes at every logging in. Please Zenimax, fix the issue that happens on 32-bit Windows...
    Options
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings everyone here!

We recommend that players who are experiencing crash issues on their Windows 32-bit PC to follow the steps below:

Locate and access the Usersettings.txt file

By default this file is located here:
    •C:\Users\user.name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live
    or
    •C:\Users\user.name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu

Find the line SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" or SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9" in the file.
    Change the line to: SET GraphicsDriver.7 "OPENGL". Please save the file after making the change.

Should the game keep crashing, please contact our dedicated Customer Support team and include the following information in your ticket:
    •A copy of the Game Consultant information: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6690
    •A copy of the MSInfo for further investigation: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4463

These files can be attached to the ticket. Please note that these files can be very large and should not be copy/pasted into the contents of an e-mail.

Please be assured that this is a temporary workaround to allow you to enjoy playing the game while we research a more substantial solution to this crashing issue that continues to happen.

Some players have reported success in disabling a specific windows update that was applied, but at this time we do not have confirmation which update it was or whether it was effective.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well.
    SET GraphicsDriver.7 "OPENGL" makes my game looks like this:
    jbho.png
    gUBu.png
    GTX 660, latest drivers.
    But, ingame it works fine, no glitches.
    Edited by LameoveR on March 24, 2015 6:00PM
    Options
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a lot of problems with constant crashes in WinXP 32-bit. Could even play more than 30 seconds. Switched to Win7 64-bit, everything works smooth now. Solution: 2GB of RAM is NOT enough even if official minimum requirements state otherwise.
    Edited by F7sus4 on March 24, 2015 6:37PM
    Options
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    Romo wrote: »

Need to drop some more RAM in there. Whether 2 sticks of 2GB or 1 stick of 4GB, depends on your motherboard and CPU.

@Romo: if the box was not so long in the tooth i would (been considering a new box for a while, but dont actually NEED to yet) ;). (and this box will become a normal desktop post-upgrade, so no point in trying to boost it).
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    Had a lot of problems with constant crashes in WinXP 32-bit. Could even play more than 30 seconds. Switched to Win7 64-bit, everything works smooth now. Solution: 2GB of RAM is NOT enough even if official minimum requirements state otherwise.

@F7sus4: i have no problems with 2GB ram (or maybe this ammount is now getting a little bit small post-2.0 patch?) but it depends on what settings you like to run with, of course. each to their own ;)

i run meduim settings, no effects, @1680x, and i am really impressed how well this game runs considering my box is now 5+ years old. for me, this Crashing issue has only happened since 1.6/2.0.

Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
    Options
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i run meduim settings, no effects, @1680x, and i am really impressed how well this game runs considering my box is now 5+ years old. for me, this Crashing issue has only happened since 1.6/2.0.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. The game minimum requirements for 1.6/2.0 are bigger and having 2GB of RAM won't allow you to keep all your previous settings and run the game without crashing. Not to say that it will still crash in player-intense areas like Cyrodiil even with settings minimized to the point that it doesn't look pleasant at all.
    Options
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that NVIDIA is not the best when testing their drivers, many of which are released to optimize their cards for an upcoming big market title.

Thus the old advice of making sure you have the latest version of your video card drivers is not always sound.

Myself and three people I know who play this game rolled back our drivers.

There is something more to this of course, as Molly's reply states. It's a good work around though.
    Options
  • Cassell
    Cassell
    Soul Shriven
    I have a similar issue. I recently returned with "Tamriel Unlimited" and I don't see that much has changed in the way of stability. I left because the game was unstable and server rollbacks were common, now, well no rollbacks but game is as unstable as ever.

About every 30-60 minutes the game will just crash and throw up the "unexpectedly quit" screen. I have done everything imaginable, port forwarding, every imaginable update (drivers and everything else), no firewall, no antivirus, no spyware protection, nothing running in background at all, no add ons, fresh install, repair tool, you name it, I have done it.

Still. Game refuses to be stable for more than 30-60 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas?

--Cassell
    Options
  • dramsb14_ESO
    dramsb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed a few crashes/lockups since the 1.6 patch as well. Windows 8.1 64bit, with 780ti.
    Options
  • Jerethi50ub17_ESO
    Jerethi50ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I was having the same issue before 2.02, and it was fixable with the d3d9 fix, but then after 2.02 the crashing came back, I then did the following and it seems to have stopped. to note, Im now in D3D11 Mode and not crashing.

I located my Elder Scrolls Online folder within my documents folder and then deleted the entire folder, Re ran the launcher, letting it regenerate all the user files from scratch, Careful if you cant remember your username or password because deleting those files will force you to re enter that information when logging in, It will no longer be saved. After doing this I logged in, Set my graphics options to change ESO from windowed full screen mode to regular full screen mode, and then reset my computer. When i logged back in and played after the reboot, My game didn't crash any, I have played for several hours that night, and then the next day a few more. I still have no crashes. If this helps anyone else please let me know, and also spread the word.
    Options
  • Jerethi50ub17_ESO
    Jerethi50ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Nevermind :( Crashing has returned.
    Options
  • KetrinC
    KetrinC
    Cassell wrote: »
    About every 30-60 minutes the game will just crash and throw up the "unexpectedly quit" screen.

Well I have used to deal with these crashes - absolutely same situaton, 30-60 minutes of stable game ant then crash. But after 1.6 crashes are inbetween 30 seconds-3 minutes period of time after logging in. Still no help except to put D3D9 in settings and play on lowest settings with 10-15 minutes periods before crashes. Sometimes it's around 1 hour without crashes, but when there is calm activity (fighting with mobs with PVE, for example).

Higher requirements for 1.6-2.0 are a big disappointment to me. Now I can't play with joy as it was before (though my computer is old, I could play on medium settings even with those crashes). Now - now I even cant see my friends' characters faces because of low settings and have constant lags because of DirectX 9. And on DirectX 11 game is unplayable.

Please Zenimax fix the memory consumption - or whatever does this effect. I've been absolutely in love with the game since beta, but after the latest updates my loyalty is close to being over. The 1.6 killed the game for me, while it was fine earlier.

And yes, I have written to technical support with my issue and got no response. What can I do to be heard at last? Should I write more? I will. I will do it again and again until someone of Technical Support will take my case to attention. And don't tell me of my computer and system incompatibility with the game - I could play earlier and now I can't. And being sincere, I am very upset and already almost angry.

Edited by KetrinC on March 27, 2015 8:53PM
    Options
  • Oldbolt_ESO
    Seems to me that there may also be an exploit that allows other players to crash your game. I'm not going to state here what that is but I will pass on my theory to support.
    Options
  • WingedMoose
    WingedMoose
    Soul Shriven
    Well, the crashing has become so prevalent that tonight I took the step that seemed to be just short of the nuclear option, but maybe taken seriously enough by ZM. Here is what I sent:

Hi all;

Tonight I cancelled my paid membership primarily due to the constant crashing in Cyrodiil. Tonight I experienced three crashes in 40 minutes and only when I joined a battle at a keep. I have read the forums over the last several weeks and tried the solutions that I have heard about, but nothing has solved it. These problems only started with 1.6, but even for a casual player like myself, it has become unbearable.
    This doesn't mean I'm stopping my play, but just waiting for this problem to be fixed and will probably re-join when it is fixed, even if fixed in the next few days.

The best to you and to your teams fixing the current issues.I do love the game!
    At this point, it is a win/win for me as I can still play but not feel like I'm paying for something broken. If my business applications behaved a badly as this has the last several weeks, I would stop using them or return them. As I said in my email to ZM, I love this game, but loyalty is a fleeting commodity and something that must be earned.
    Options
  • Ranrach
    Ranrach
    ✭✭
    Oh no, not this again.......
    I returned completely to the game a couple of days ago. I have been in and out of the game, mostly because of the bugs or empty zones. Since Unlimited released i felt like the game would be busier and watching the forums it seemed most of the bugs were "fixed".

During the days i can play the game without a single issue, ***-up or crash. But after 18:00 GMT the problems start. I can't even complete a dungeon anymore because at random moments the game decides to crash, but it can't, because i play in full screen and i get a complete black screen. Result: hard reset PC. Zenimax, when you decide to change the course of the game to b2p and you expect more players to come back (which i encourage, it's a great move!), could you PLEASE think before you act? Have your server-experts think about "can our servers handle this?"

So, when will the servers be fixed?
    Options
  • Oldbolt_ESO
    LameoveR wrote: »
    Try this:
    Open C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live (or liveeu for EU server)
    open usersettings.txt file.
    Change similiar strings to this:
    SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

I can confirm that this worked for me. After having crashes every half hour or so I did the above and haven't crashed in over 12 hours play time. Being half blind and not tech minded I have no idea what it did, I only know that I no longer crash and the game still looks very nice.
    Edited by Oldbolt_ESO on March 29, 2015 4:11PM
    Options
  • WingedMoose
    WingedMoose
    Soul Shriven

Hey Oldbolt;
    Thanks for the possibility and tried this fix, but the first battle I joined in at Farragut resulted in a crash. I'll continue with it today to see if there are differences.

Options
  • firewatch
    firewatch
    ✭✭✭
    I, like the other posters on this thread, crash on regular basis when in Cyrodiil. It's very frustrating to be battling hard for a keep and then... CRASH! By the time you log back in the battle it is over and you missed your tick. It wouldn't be so bad if it happened once in while, but it happens to me numerous times a night every night. I never had any issues prior to 1.6. I, like WingedMoose, am going to unsub until ZOS fixes its broken game. The most recent patch notes say nothing about addressing this issue, so I am not optimistic it will be fixed anytime soon.
    Options
  • Oldbolt_ESO
    Hey Oldbolt;
    Thanks for the possibility and tried this fix, but the first battle I joined in at Farragut resulted in a crash. I'll continue with it today to see if there are differences.

Hey.
    Sorry I didn't mention that I haven't tried this fix in PVP. I have only recently come back to the game and I'm too busy exploring to do PVP :/ Any crashes I had while PVE'ing stopped
    Options
  • WingedMoose
    WingedMoose
    Soul Shriven
    Well, no love with 6.0.3 here. I was able to play PVP earlier tonight in a large battle for probably 40 minutes with one-on-one, one-on many (ahem; it was more like many-on-one where I mostly died) and no crashes! I thought it was FIXED. Later tonight it was crash after crash. I've sent so many crash reports I could have written a novel and at least gained more experience with that novel than I have in the game. In my last crash report I wrote that I might have to break out my NDS to get in some good gameplay.

BTW I am running Win7 32-bit and have no intention of switching. I turned off all Add-on's a while back and that seemed to make no difference.

They really should put a "Crash Counter" on the pop-up Error Reporting Window: "Over xxxx crashes servied" After all, this may be the only way I can make it on the leaderboard in ESO.
    Options