Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Motif Overhaul

ArcVelarian
ArcVelarian
✭✭✭✭✭
So Zeni has announced that they will be doing some retexturing of the Racial motifs, starting with the Orc and Redguard. Which one is so fugly that they just have to fix that eyesore next?
Edited by ArcVelarian on February 23, 2015 8:14PM
Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.

Motif Overhaul 92 votes

Nord
7%
curlyqloub14_ESOSolanumKorproknanayatplink3r1EirellaArcVelarian 7 votes
Imperial
6%
RainfeatherUKAngryNordmanny254GurchanarFruity_NinjaHallowScythe 6 votes
Breton
6%
Teargrantspatrykplawskib16_ESOTargolakAsgariNorthern_WolflingAMadAussie 6 votes
High Elf
11%
WraithAzraielC3N50R3Dc0rpAlphashadoxaraanHWHorathlab16_ESOHeishitheroyalestpythonnub18_ESOTroneonemeraldbayAionna 11 votes
Dark Elf
23%
aisriyth_ESOdeathmasterl_ESOSythiastrustcotraptb14_ESOFaulgorthenshi13b16_ESOgurluasb16_ESOKharnisGrinwhrlphreatophilestarlizard70ub17_ESOelias.stormneb18_ESOJennifur_VulteeLosvatos7Taleof2CitiesHaagusDekkameronShader_ShibesFfastylThalmor_Pony 22 votes
Wood Elf
10%
bosmern_ESOEsha76bigos81eb17_ESOstarkerealmPoXeeDHuxley12345CirithValariaGalileloMettaricanaSyldayan 10 votes
Khajiit
3%
jk315701b14_ESONeizirdroids097 3 votes
Argonian
29%
murtrem_ESONotSokelly.medleyb14_ESOBigMsuperquadockyb14_ESOTraisatehsaZahneThe_SpAwNdylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESOskoomatraitgdorsettub17_ESOjamesharv2005ub17_ESOPanda244SnitNukeAllTheThingsChelosRubenSHADOW2KKGovalon 27 votes
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I think they are all fine as is
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MOUNTS! So we can get first person horse riding!!!
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf
    I personally want the revamp of Breton armor next, as it is currently my favorite but still lacks in several areas aesthetically.
    However the question is which one I think is so fugly it deserves a bump in the priority list, and that's Dunmer.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf
    I like the Altmer heavy armour, but the light and medium could do with some work.

But i think Dark elf needs a facelift in both heavy and light. Medium looks alright at high levels but shockingly bad at low level.
    Edited by Dekkameron on February 23, 2015 8:38PM
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is Daedric motif in your list?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh good Lord, they're redesigning all the others too? I dread to think what they'll do to them. Texture improvements I can take, but not significant change of style. A minute of silence for old Redguard light...

Why not leave them and focus on new motifs instead?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I choose for them to revert the Redguards light armor and heavy pants, and the Orsimer female heavy? That would be my choice. Give us more options, don't just change the old ones.
  • Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Rosveen wrote: »
    Why not leave them and focus on new motifs instead?

This. Certainly we can have multiple subtypes of racial motifs. Say something like early Breton, mid Breton, and late Breton styles.

edit: Oh. And let us convert styles like we can do with Imperial.
    Edited by Animal_Mother on February 23, 2015 8:52PM
  • Vegaroth
    Vegaroth
    ✭✭✭
    Daedric
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric and Ancient Elf.
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2340+
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf
    cgipervert wrote: »
    Daedric and Ancient Elf.

Especially the shoulders... I kinda like the chest pieces though.

EDIT: er, for Ancient Elf. I'm rather fond of the Daedric gear. Though, I suppose the Heavy Daedric Chest does look kinda derpy.
    Edited by starkerealm on February 23, 2015 9:03PM
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no. :( This is sad to hear. I didn't know they're working on ALL of the sets. I hope they don't ruin them like they're ruining the Orc and Redguard sets.

The main thing I don't like about the Daedric armour is there is no pant option for light armour.
    ->--Willow--<-
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, you are missing some motifs in your poll.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf
    Livvy wrote: »
    Oh no. :( This is sad to hear. I didn't know they're working on ALL of the sets. I hope they don't ruin them like they're ruining the Orc and Redguard sets.

The main thing I don't like about the Daedric armour is there is no pant option for light armour.

Conversely, Daedric is the only way you can make a character with a breastplate over a robe.
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall them saying they were working on redoing them all. Is there a link to this information?
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf
    Selique wrote: »
    I don't recall them saying they were working on redoing them all. Is there a link to this information?

Well, the Redguard and Orc revisions are part of 1.6. Orc's growing on me, Redguard... I see what they're doing, but I'm still very meh on the subject.

The article on the changes can be found here: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2015/02/09/ready-for-war-orc-and-redguard-armor

Nothing about them changing all of them, though.
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    Which Daedric Prince do I need to bow down and worship in order for this not to happen?

LEAVE THE ARMORS IN GAME ALONE!

Just add new ones, give us choices, don't take them away.
  • Kaizxen
    Kaizxen
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Texture improvements I can take, but not significant change of style.

A toggle-able option to use higher-res textures would be awesome.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian
    Argonian needs an overhaul. Noone ever wants to buy this type of armor.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Argonian needs an overhaul. Noone ever wants to buy this type of armor.
    And also nobody wants to play Argonians. It's one of the least often seen races.

I like Argonian armors a lot. I think it's one of more interesting racial styles. I'm not talking about quality of textures etc., just about the general feel.
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather not see them change the rest of the armor sets based on the current Redguard changes.
    Edited by Maverick827 on February 23, 2015 11:25PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no reason for any changes.
  • Grinwhrl
    Grinwhrl
    ✭✭
    Dark Elf
    Redguard heavy is really nice looking now.

Dunmer Heavy helmet is all they need to fix for me. Would be nice to see it look closer to this concept.

468px-Dunmer.jpg
  • Kevinmon
    Kevinmon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daedric is an ugly eyesore.
  • civilizedsavage
    civilizedsavage
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a leave them the hell alone option on this poll.
    Guild Leader | The Ashen Hand
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye. They've already ruined two styles. ZOS needs to leave the existing styles alone, and add new ones if their art department is getting bored. Stop messing up our stuff guys!
  • curlyqloub14_ESO
    curlyqloub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nord
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    Aye. They've already ruined two styles. ZOS needs to leave the existing styles alone, and add new ones if their art department is getting bored. Stop messing up our stuff guys!

^^ Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I especially liked the old Redguard armor, and loved those little red jewels! So sad they are changing it.

However, I also feel some options are missing from the poll. I like most of the light armor actually, but when it comes to Medium and Heavy...

-Barbaric is absolutely hideous. My friend made a set once, he asked for my honest opinion, I told him he looked like a forest vagabond - it became a running joke. When I first read that there would be "Barbaric" armor, I immediately pictured the Forsworn from Skyrim - THEY were barbarians! I want to see Barbaric armor look like this:

Complete with antler helmets...
    600px-SR-npc-Forsworn_02.jpg
    ... and facial warpaint!
    600px-SR-npc-Forsworn_05.jpg

-Primal is almost as bad as barbaric. Why must everything have horns and bones everywhere? One set with horns and antlers is more than enough. I mean, come on, this is just, ick...
    eso-primal-shadowhide-medium-armor-set-vr12.jpg

-Daedric is underwhelming. They already reworked it once - it's still disappointing. Again, I'd like to see it look more like it did in Skyrim.

Point is, for the rarity/value of those purple motifs, I would have expected the armor to be a lot better.

-Oh, and let's not forget Nord. I dunno', maybe some people like all that sheepskin/fur - I certainly don't. But I would LOVE to see kilts. Not sure if it's Lore-friendly or not, but it just feels like those Nord warriors should be wearing kilts while they chug their pints of ale.

But, I do still agree with the quote at the top of my post - better to just leave the current armors alone, and make new attempts at better styles with new motifs. I mean, where is my GLASS armor?? And Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood armor?? Lets push for those sets rather than reworks of the current ones.
    Edited by curlyqloub14_ESO on February 24, 2015 1:14AM
  • deathmasterl_ESO
    deathmasterl_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Elf
    If they do redo more Dark Elf needs to be redone with a passion, if it looked more like Ebony Armor from Skyrim it would look perfect imo, right now it just doesn't have that same look, granted you could argue that oh it's the early version of that style, but even then it doesn't have the sleek, carved, look that I love. Also it just looks way too bulky.
    Saevus Messor Imperial Dragonknight Vr14 Aldmeri Dominion
    Talia Spiritus Imperial Nightblade Lv17 Aldmeri Dominion
    Naomi Athael Altmer Sorcerer Lv8 Aldmeri Dominion
    Nyanta Raimanni Khajiit Templar Lv4 Aldmeri Dominion
    Sina Nightwind Bosmer Dragonknight Lv4 Aldmeri Dominion
    Leader of the 1st Infiltration and Scouting Division
    Master Weapon and Armor Crafter
  • rsciw
    rsciw
    ✭✭✭
    Well the changes have an up and downside I guess, at least for me...

Downside: I am now weary of crafting any new set for the looks I want as it seems ZOS will come flying in and F it up as they did here, unwanted, and giving a rat's back side about customer feed back.

Upside: I can wear a hideous non-dyeable jester costume and achieve a better look than the new stuff. Well done!

I guess it must be rocket science to add multiple options / motifs (e.g. 1st gen Breton, 2nd gen Breton, or Breton 1, Breton 2) etc, since they're not capable of offering that option.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    I know this isn't one of the basic motifs, but primal is the worst skin I've ever seen in any game, mmo or otherwise.
    Edited by SexyVette07 on February 24, 2015 3:08AM