The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any new news on spellcrafting?

sarttsarttsarttub17_ESO
Haven't heard anything about it in a few months.
  • Berinima
    Berinima
    ✭✭✭
    The devs said in the last Q&A they are currently not working on spell crafting anymore.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. They not totally abandoned it, but I wouldn't expect it in any time soon.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that there is a secret plan for spell casting . . . alchemy reagents will now be used as spell components for different spells . . . anytime you want to cast bat swarm as a vampire you will have to collect 20 giant bat wings and then if you are not max level vamp there will be a 20% chance that the spell will fail and you yourself will be turned into a meek bat making you an easy target for stomping in PvP . . .
  • Exstazik
    Exstazik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Messy1 wrote: »
    I heard that there is a secret plan for spell casting . . . alchemy reagents will now be used as spell components for different spells . . . anytime you want to cast bat swarm as a vampire you will have to collect 20 giant bat wings and then if you are not max level vamp there will be a 20% chance that the spell will fail and you yourself will be turned into a meek bat making you an easy target for stomping in PvP . . .
    And i heard that spellcrafting will be only for sorcs who played 100+ days on sorc.And for all others there will be consumable scrolls crafted by such sorcs :D
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Spellcrafting still being worked on? Will it be in the game before console release?

Spellcrafting is not being worked on at the moment, but it is still planned. We’ve worked on it quite a bit, but other work such as the Justice and Champion Systems were prioritized over it. That’s the nature of development and live development especially. We’ll get back to it when we can.

What @Berinima said basically, copied from AuA notes.
  • wrathofrraath
    wrathofrraath
    ✭✭✭
    With 1.6 magicka changes, I feel stam and magicka will be truly balenced once spell crafting is released. Don't be so hasty to re roll a stam build ! Like any great wizard their power grows with age ; )
    Vokul Lovaas - V16 Magicka Dragonknight
    Vokul Vol - V16 Magicka Nightblade

Order of Mundus - NA DC

DK heals OP
  • Kaizxen
    Kaizxen
    ✭✭✭
    Exstazik wrote: »
    And i heard that spellcrafting will be only for sorcs who played 100+ days on sorc.And for all others there will be consumable scrolls crafted by such sorcs :D

:| I saw that suggestion in another thread (seemingly serious), and it made me cringe.
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that spellcrafting, at this point, would be the thing to save our sorcerers. Unfortunately, it wont be given to us any time soon. We can only hope they get back to developing this and that someday it will become a reality! *crosses fingers*
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Yep, this is basically correct. Spellcrafting isn't actively being worked on, it's just on the back burner for now.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP, it's only been a little over seven months since we saw that reasonably robust working demo of the Spellcrafting system. Why would you think it should be released by now? These things take time!

Besides, that cash shop isn't going populate itself with unimportant fluff we don't need or want. Somebody has to create it. As such, new content like quests to earn Champion Points and new de rigueur game systems like Spellcrafting have fallen off the project schedule due to the cash shop/B2P model.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spell crafting seems to be discussed as a "system" during interviews, and the recent AUA had specified that system changes (VR removal phase 4, JS pvp, Spellcrafting) will likely be delayed to allow quicker development of what was called "adventure content" (Wrothgar, Murkmire, Clockwork City, presumably IC).
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, this is basically correct. Spellcrafting isn't actively being worked on, it's just on the back burner for now.

For the love of all that is sacred... WHY???? This was the ONLY thing I have been looking forward to in this game. It NEEDS to happen. Is it being dropped simply because the company hasn't yet figured out a way to monetize it in the cash shop? Is everything that SHOULD be an overall game update now going to be abandoned unless ZOS can figure out a way to put a price tag on it?
    Edited by MornaBaine on February 19, 2015 4:03PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Is there anyway ya'll can release a list of what IS currently being worked on and what isn't, just so we can know what to expect in the next 3-6 months. Most of us expect that the the only new "content" we'll see is items in the cash shop, so this would be a great opportunity to prove us wrong.
    Edited by Sallington on February 19, 2015 4:08PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

For the love of all that is sacred... WHY???? This was the ONLY thing I have been looking forward to in this game. It NEEDS to happen. Is it being dropped simply because the company hasn't yet figured out a way to monetize it in the cash shop? Is everything that SHOULD be an overall game update now going to be abandoned unless ZOS can figure out a way to put a price tag on it?

They are (most likely) working on other projects and have chosen to prioritize improving on current systems.
    This is the best approach, in my opinion.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't the rumour (or a rumour) that his Most Well Regarded Konkness has left for pastures new?

If spellcrafting was his project that would probably explain that.

Otherwise it has probably beeen shifted aside because the justice system needed a lot more work than they first thought.
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only say as much that, if spellcrafting is abandoned completely one day, I will end my sub and become a rather casual f2p pvper...and probably move to another game in time.

Spellcrafting is the hope I have for this game.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Exstazik
    Exstazik
    ✭✭✭✭
    my thoughts:
    -till june-console release
    -till september-vacation
    -november-december-new location ^^
    -january-holiday
    -February-some fixes for november DLC :smile:
  • Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the rumour (or a rumour) that his Most Well Regarded Konkness has left for pastures new?

If spellcrafting was his project that would probably explain that.

Otherwise it has probably beeen shifted aside because the justice system needed a lot more work than they first thought.

Really sad that they put spellcrafting on hold, it's the one thing I looked forward to the most of all the things they showed us at Quakecon :'(

Le Konk is still with us. His most recent appearance, note the title of Lead designer, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he used to be Lead gameplay designer.
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, noob question, anyone can tell us how this spellcraft system should looks like?
    Thanks!
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    Grungebr - Altmer magicka templar
    Eölbr - Dunmer magicka necro
    Drizztbr - Khajiit stamina nb
    "In my thoughts and in my dreams, they're always in my mind
    These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men, and elves
    Come close your eyes, you can see them too...
    "

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ... Spellcrafting isn't actively being worked on...

:(
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont even know what spellcrafting is supposed to be.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are details in the 2014 Quake con press conference, iirc.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Basically? Spellcrafting. The ability to take various collectable bits and compile them into a spell with varying effects. When consumed it would add a new ability to your skill window based on what you'd created.
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭

Basically? Spellcrafting. The ability to take various collectable bits and compile them into a spell with varying effects. When consumed it would add a new ability to your skill window based on what you'd created.

But how can it be limited? How many could be the options?

It really seems very interesting, but I'm seeing it as a huge system that really cant be developed quickly
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    "

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ya I dont know. I think Id like to see some new content as far as quests, dungeons etc before they add even more new subsystems.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grunge wrote: »

It really seems very interesting, but I'm seeing it as a huge system that really cant be developed quickly

From what we saw, it was set up along the lines of, you have a three piece system. A basic effect, like a summon, a flame attack, or a heal. A modifier, like AoE, Toggle, or Ultimate, and a stone tablet (of varying qualities: white, green, blue, purple, gold). Then the game would calculate the statistics based on the spell, modifier, and stone quality to create the spell tablet, which you could consume to learn... or trade to another player.
    Edited by starkerealm on February 19, 2015 7:40PM
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. And when we blow away those mists of palliation and sweet talk, Spellcrafting will never make it into ESO.

Zenimax can't balance 4 shallow classes, how should they ever balance something like Spellcrafting? Totally unrealistic.
    Edited by Seraphyel on February 19, 2015 7:46PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphyel wrote: »

Yes. And when we blow away those mists of palliation and sweet talk, Spellcrafting will never make it into ESO.

Eh, cryptic managed to get off their collective ass and cram the DOff system into STO. I wouldn't give up hope on seeing Spellcrafting again. Even this year.
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭
    Grunge wrote: »

From what we saw, it was set up along the lines of, you have a three piece system. A basic effect, like a summon, a flame attack, or a heal. A modifier, like AoE, Toggle, or Ultimate, and a stone tablet (of varying qualities: white, green, blue, purple, gold). Then the game would calculate the statistics based on the spell, modifier, and stone quality to create the spell tablet, which you could consume to learn... or trade to another player.

Seems very nice! Ty for sharing this :)
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    "

• RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Morna Baine - Vampire Advocate General 2014/15 and chair of the ''Dude, wheres my spellcrafting?'' Sub-Committee, has spoken. So get on it!

Agreed with you though as usual. Eric/Chris said that it had been worked on quite alot in the background (during AuA some time ago.) So hopefully if all goes well with Console Launch it'll be here before we know it..sorta.
    Edited by RainfeatherUK on February 19, 2015 7:50PM