Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

Lusty Argonian Maids

ThirtySevenCoins
ThirtySevenCoins
✭✭✭
I was talking to an Argonian the other day (probably in a tavern) and as we were chatting I was struck by two outstanding issues. Why do Argonian maids have mammary glands, they are reptiles after all and they do refer to their young as hatchlings. Very confusing to a humble traveller, maybe it's time to kick the skooma, go home and put my feet up for a while.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was talking to an Argonian the other day (probably in a tavern) and as we were chatting I was struck by two outstanding issues. Why do Argonian maids have mammary glands, they are reptiles after all and they do refer to their young as hatchlings. Very confusing to a humble traveller, maybe it's time to kick the skooma, go home and put my feet up for a while.

Considering Argonians can intermarry with other races and have children I oe is left to assume they fertilize their eggs the same way Men and Mer do. The exception being that once the fertilization takes place they lay their eggs in the roots of the hist to be hatched. Given the interbreeding capability they most likely nurse their young like all other races of Tamriel.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How else are you going to motorboat?
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• ThirtySevenCoins
    ThirtySevenCoins
    ✭✭✭
    This skooma problem is really playing tricks with my head, because it seems to me that somebody has stolen all the children from Tamriel, well if it's not the skooma then I bet it's a bloody Daedric prince. That's a shame because I would really have liked to meet a half Khajit/Argonian youngster, makes you wonder what they would look like.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genetics don't seem to work in Tamriel like they do here. The offspring's physical appearance is determined by the mother and the traits by the father.

So If we were to apply this to the elder scrolls online: An player with an Argonian mother and a Breton father would look like an Argonian but have the racial skills of a Breton.

But seriously, I don't think interbreeding between the beast races the races of men and mer are considered possible. It's mostly considered to be rumor and speculation.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/racial-phylogeny

I've always thought the tales of cross-breeds come from sightings of Ohmes and Ohmes-Raht by the uneducated and them being mistaken as crossbreeds.

Bothohmes.png
    Ohmes-rahtboth.jpg

The same is likely for the Argonians, the variations in their physiology leads to assumptions about mixing with Men or Mer

argonian-timeline-2.png?w=600&h=200
    Argonian_Faces.jpg

What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • ThirtySevenCoins
    ThirtySevenCoins
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should start reading some of those books I pick up on the road, but I'm usually too worn out, everybody seems to want me to do something for them, kill a monster here, recover a precious item there, usually a very dangerous there but of course they always play that danger part down. I'm really starting to think people are taking advantage. I talked this over with a mage and he thought my drinking and skooma taking were down to this, what did it he call it again, ah yes, post-necroshriven stress.
  • Barta057
    Barta057
    ✭✭✭
    If they didn't have bewbs a lot of mouthbreathers would complain. Because as Hollywood has proven, *** narrative and character development, all men care about is a big bouncy set of triple Ds or whatever. I don't know...I ain't into breasts.

The big ones, y'all like the big ones. Especially if they're framed by explosions, and maybe even covered in wetness.

A good example is when everyone pitched a fit that the Charr females didn't have breasts but a flat chest with six nips, like a feline does. I thought that was an excellent design choice, and that it gave the race character. Apparently everyone and their mom thought it was sacrilege and wanted to burn their eyes out with hot coals.
    Edited by Barta057 on February 10, 2015 4:03AM
  • superquadockyb14_ESO
    There is no reason why Argonians shouldn't have breasts. They aren't even 'lizards' in the traditional sense anyway. They are Mutant Tree things. Maybe the Hist has a sense of humor, who knows.
  • ThirtySevenCoins
    ThirtySevenCoins
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember hushed tales around the campfire of the legendary dark realm, of Hollywood also known as the shallow plain. The stories of the Dread Lord Arec Barwin and the other princes of vanity.
  • MagnusAfBorgen
    MagnusAfBorgen
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians can really look like anything from very reptillian (despite being amphibians) to pretty human-ish http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Argonian

I guess they just didn't want to complicate things when interbreeding :stuck_out_tongue:
    There is no reason why Argonians shouldn't have breasts. They aren't even 'lizards' in the traditional sense anyway. They are Mutant Tree things. Maybe the Hist has a sense of humor, who knows.

^And then as mentioned they are probably closer related to Hist trees that frogs, so that genepool could have come out in lots of funny ways. Luckily for many wealthy houseowners over the years, the Argonian maids had plenty of mammalian qualitites!

An Argonian-Khajiit baby, now that would be a sight to see.
    Edited by MagnusAfBorgen on February 10, 2015 11:37AM
    "I saw a mudcrab the other day"
  • Rial
    Rial
    ✭✭✭
    While the true answer probably is 1. so they can use the same skeleton and animations and 2. people like breasts, the in-universe explanation is that the Hist, in their everyday genetic engineering of their Argonian servants, made them so for whatever reason. Maybe so softskins wouldn't be confused by a lack of gender dimorphism. One look at Argonian mouths makes it pretty clear that they aren't even capable of properly performing the sucking motions necessary to extract milk from the maternal provider, so a proper biological function isn't likey.

I personally would appreciate boob-less Argonians, or a departure from so human-centered a gender dimorphism in general. There are enough other races to comfort those of us who like their fantasy more grounded in reality.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because an animal doesn't have [snip] doesn't mean it can't lactate.

tumblr_n2m0dg6KP71qi4ucgo1_500.jpg
    This little gal secrets milk through her skin and her younglings just lap it up. The breasts of Argonian women could have mammary glands and could lactate without [snip].

Oh, and the platypus ALSO lays eggs like an Argonian.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on February 11, 2015 1:09PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians cannot breed with men or mer so lets throw that misconception out the window right now.

Why do they have breasts? One reason and one reason alone: Because the hist willed them to (or at least these certain types of argonian anyways)

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throren wrote: »
    Argonians cannot breed with men or mer so lets throw that misconception out the window right now.

Why do they have breasts? One reason and one reason alone: Because the hist willed them to (or at least these certain types of argonian anyways)

So the hist are breast-trees (like breast-men)?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Quite possibly. Depending one when the hist created the argonians, one theory is the hist 'based' some argonian designs off the only other humanoid/sapient creatures around (ie. mer) So the woman were just given breasts.

I like to think the hist are just did it for *** and giggles though xD
  • Barta057
    Barta057
    ✭✭✭

Man, da booty never gets the love it deserves.
  • Rial
    Rial
    ✭✭✭
    Barta057 wrote: »

Relevant statistic http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2387244/original.jpg
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rial wrote: »
    Barta057 wrote: »

Relevant statistic http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2387244/original.jpg

They enjoy an expansive posterior and cannot prevaricate.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Take note that we are talking about humanoid reptilians so i wouldn't expect full similarities with real life species. That being said there are some references in Lore books

Such as The Argonian Mating Ritual
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Argonian_Mating_Ritual

The Argonian Maid - An Oral Tradition
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Argonian_Maid—An_Oral_Tradition

and the infamous

The Lusty Argonian Maid This is a great example as it clearly demonstrates A dark elf seducing his innocent Argonian Maid, Implying that Argonian sex works just like it does in the other races.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Lusty_Argonian_Maid

So although there is nothing definitive there is nothing inany of the Elder Scrolls games that say Argonians can not reproduce with other species.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Throren
    Throren
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm well aware the beast races and men and mer can all bang eachother but no where is there any hints of a child being able to being born from argonians and man/mer.

It's just too much of a stretch, especially with the egg lyin' thing.
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mork was actually an argonian.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I'm well aware the beast races and men and mer can all bang eachother but no where is there any hints of a child being able to being born from argonians and man/mer.

That may be true but there is nothing to say it doesn't happen either

-Thomas Pain

• BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since their reproduction seems to require 3 different beings (male, female, hist) I think it's possible for an Argonian and man/mer offspring. There is no mention (and I doubt ever will be mentioned) if eggs are fertilized prior to laying or after - only that they simply won't hatch unless they are near a hist.

Considering the way TES works and they simply take on the race/features of the mother, there really is no way to really know without specifically telling us.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iago wrote: »

Lack of it being in any TES game or lore is enough to make a safe assumption it doesn't.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• EsORising
    EsORising
    ✭✭✭
    This is definitely a post about beastality
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iago wrote: »

Lack of it being in any TES game or lore is enough to make a safe assumption it doesn't.

First of all I doubt they will ever break down the sexual habits of any of the races of Tamriel. What d you want to see a *** showing the interbreeding? If so the best you will ever get i the Lusty Argonian Maid.

Seriously though until they explain it with lore no one can say for certain one way or the other and as @‌BBSooner said
    BBSooner wrote: »
    Since their reproduction seems to require 3 different beings (male, female, hist) I think it's possible for an Argonian and man/mer offspring. There is no mention (and I doubt ever will be mentioned) if eggs are fertilized prior to laying or after - only that they simply won't hatch unless they are near a hist.

Considering the way TES works and they simply take on the race/features of the mother, there really is no way to really know without specifically telling us

-Thomas Pain

• WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Argonians are Mammalians. Like Platypuses.

The great ancestor of the Argonian!

platypus_theme_for_kids.jpg
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • ThirtySevenCoins
    ThirtySevenCoins
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it's that bloody Sheograth again, that fruit cake has caused me nothing but trouble on my travels, he's no stranger to a magika mushroom, he's given me more headaches than skooma and ale combined. He's probably been meddling again just for his own twisted pleasure and to confuse the stupid lowly mortals. I'd pay good money never to hear that annoying clown again. Sounds like the kind of thing he'd like, big reptiles with big glands.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    How else are you going to motorboat?

My thoughts precisely. They wouldn't be lusty... nor would they probably be hired as maids anymore. They'd be Flat Argonian Butlers. Nobody wants that. #LeaveLustyArgonianMaidsAlone LLAMA XD
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS' implementation of the 'beast' races is simply laughable, not least because they use the same skeleton of the more 'humanoid' races .. all males have the same posture and all female have the same.

The presence of mammary glands on reptiles is of course totally asinine, and the fact cats have multiple pairs (and in any evolutionary theory of how cats to evolve into Khajiit I doubt there's a likely loss of some but not all such physiological features) but Khajiit only have a human endowment in this area is equally silly.

The Werewolf form shows ZOS can at least attempt something non-hamnoid and they could have done far, far better with Khajiit and Argonian than the Disney-like representation that chose to use.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    ZOS' implementation of the 'beast' races is simply laughable, not least because they use the same skeleton of the more 'humanoid' races .. all males have the same posture and all female have the same.

The presence of mammary glands on reptiles is of course totally asinine, and the fact cats have multiple pairs (and in any evolutionary theory of how cats to evolve into Khajiit I doubt there's a likely loss of some but not all such physiological features) but Khajiit only have a human endowment in this area is equally silly.

The Werewolf form shows ZOS can at least attempt something non-hamnoid and they could have done far, far better with Khajiit and Argonian than the Disney-like representation that chose to use.

Oh don't forget the gills that Argonians use to breathe under water like fish, this is nor something that real reptiles have either.

-Thomas Pain