The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Spoilers] Sad moments in PvE

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Text, video, or pictures of what you found to be the saddest moments from your PvE adventuring.

Here is something to get things stared. A sad dog...

SadRexus.png

Moderator note: Added a spoiler warning to the thread title. Was tempted to add a "Brace for feelz" warning, but then the title would be too long.
Edited by ZOS_Kraken on July 4, 2023 3:08PM
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Sablemane
    Sablemane
    ✭✭✭
    There is an Eastmarch quest involving a father that had to do the unthinkable. The letter he wrote at the end choked me up.
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    the end of Cadwell's Gold :(
    h0LfwKq.png
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    That quest in the Rift where Tovisa gets her eyes stolen by Hagravens.
    It's terrible, but at least she has a friend to take care of her.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    kimboh wrote: »

Oh... I had forgotten about that quest. THANKS A LOT!

/jk

but yea, that was awful.

If you've ever played Witcher 2, you get to see that a bit more graphically... even if it happens to someone you hate, it's just gruesome.
    Edited by KenjiJU on October 5, 2014 2:22AM
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the backstory behind the ghosts at Lakewatch Tower were really sad.
    o6ea0h.png
    Edited by Runefell on October 5, 2014 3:54PM
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one in Alik'r i think, where you find a dog and have to collect his owners bones to piece him back together. Another one which i cant remember exactly, but, you find a letter and a dog at a grave and it reads something about the loyalty of the dog to its owner.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one in Alik'r i think, where you find a dog and have to collect his owners bones to piece him back together. Another one which i cant remember exactly, but, you find a letter and a dog at a grave and it reads something about the loyalty of the dog to its owner.

You mean this spot?

Screenshot_20140623_182907.png
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean this spot?

Screenshot_20140623_182907.png

Yes! Where is it again?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, I took that screenshot weeks ago.

• yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember one place where I had to take mead away from Nords. Even Cadwell told me off for that one. I felt really bad. They actually had to leave and find a new inn several hours walking distance away. Just imagine the suffering,
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every quest that involved Lyris. I was sad that this wasn't a single player TES and I couldn't burn her with fire. :'(

I also once killed the captain lady instead of the dirty reachman in The Rift. I was tired and pressed the wrong button.
    Edited by PBpsy on October 7, 2014 4:09PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, I took that screenshot weeks ago.

It's at Aswala's Remembrance near the Hollow Waste Dolmen in the Alik'r Desert.

At least if it's the thing I'm thinking of.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on October 7, 2014 11:16PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachiko
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daenerys wrote: »

I agree. It wasn't seeing Cadwell at the end, it was leaving Queen Ayrenn and Reaper's March thinking "Oh, I've finished".
  • Pseudolo
    Pseudolo
    ✭✭✭

Up to this point for me it's pretty much this...
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daenerys wrote: »
    h0LfwKq.png

Yeah, that one was a real downer.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, all of the many times I've ever leveled a character through the starter zones to Stonefalls or just visited Davon's Watch (going back to Beta), I had never found the area in that city where the survivors from Bleakrock gather to mourn the dead.

Oh, and Rexus is alive either way! Two of my four key characters chose the docks and two chose the keep in Bal Foyen, and given that Rexus is among the refugees at the Keep I figured he perished if you chose to help Rana rather than Darj. But there he was in Davon's Watch, alive and well. :)

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »
    I also once killed the captain lady instead of the dirty reachman in The Rift. I was tired and pressed the wrong button.

I always let her die, as he was duped and repentant and just wants to go home to his family and is being tricked into the sacrifice. She knows the score and is willing to die for honor and the cause.

• danovic
    danovic
    ✭✭✭
    Every quest reward in the game made me really sad.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pseudolo wrote: »

Up to this point for me it's pretty much this...

The eyes have it for one of the more disturbing plot twists, but another quest on par with it is the previous zone.

"Torn Asunder" features a mother who sacrificed her daughters to Molag Bal, was killed by her husband, and who in spirit form continues her dark scheme. Her husband is so distraught at the memories of prior events and the failure of his previous efforts to stop his former wife from succeeding in her plans that he commits suicide. Which you learn about after slaying some creature formed from the merging of the spirits of his wife and daughters into some foul monstrosity.

• PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I always let her die, as he was duped and repentant and just wants to go home to his family and is being tricked into the sacrifice. She knows the score and is willing to die for honor and the cause.
    Oh do you actually buy into his sob story?Bah.. I would burn him and his family for any of the Pact soldiers, even for one of those smelly lizard things.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several from the Aldmeri faction really get me, for some reason I just felt more engaged in some of the quests there.

The one where the old lady asks you to go and pray for her 4 children that had already passed away, I tear up every time I finish that quest.

Theres a khajiit ghost in Reapers March that got killed while trying to pray for her brother, and at the end of it the two ghost siblings get to say goodbye to one another, its touching.

And ofc when I thought Raz didn't make it. I was so ticked off at the game I had to stop playing for a little bit.

I played through the entire faction with my solo character, so when my husband and I went through it again, I knew what was coming but it didn't matter, every one of these made me tear up again lol! When we got to the part before Raz I had to will myself not to start up! Then I had to restrain myself from telling him it was gonna be okay afterwards, man that was tough!

Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • ontheleftcoast
    ontheleftcoast
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree. I've played that quest multiple times now and each time I keep trying to find a way to do it so she doesn't lose them. It doesn't appear there is anyway to avoid it. You feel so helpless, like some how you failed her.

But I tell you this -- those hagravens die a horrible, painful death when I get into that dungeon. Stunned on the ground the whole time with obsidian shard while my Standard of Might burned them down was the most satisfying of the kills.
  • MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saddest thing in the whole game will get you in the main plot questline:

You can't sacrifice that dimwit Abnar Tharn.
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot quite a few until I played through them yet again. In Eastmarch, A Dying Wish features an old soldier who wants to have his sword and shield with him when he passes on to Sovngarde. He is dead when you return. His faithful dog watches over him as you lay his sword and shield at his side.

Then there is River of Names in The Rift, where you collect tokens of dead civilians to return to their loved ones and listen to their memories of the deceased.

• Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the ESO's world sad in general. There are so many quests where at least one character has to die, I was thinking if writers may have some sort of problem with optimism.
    It's just a sad world where death appears to be the main catalyst for change.
    Edited by Razzak on December 17, 2014 10:00AM
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing in quests that make me sad that the whole world can't make a decision for themself. I mean, really? I need to solve ALL problems? What to eat, when to breath, what to say, what to do. Sometimes it's really hard choise and I'm sitting for a few minutes and thinking what to do or try to google it. But some quests I just want shout: make YOUR OWN decision!!!
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing in quests that make me sad that the whole world can't make a decision for themself. I mean, really? I need to solve ALL problems? What to eat, when to breath, what to say, what to do. Sometimes it's really hard choise and I'm sitting for a few minutes and thinking what to do or try to google it. But some quests I just want shout: make YOUR OWN decision!!!

That would be interesting. To have the option to walk away and see what happens. To see and decide not to get involved at different decision points. Eventually you would need to get involved because otherwise the plot couldn't advance, but getting a glimpse of what would happen due to inaction would be a new twist.

• Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh do you actually buy into his sob story?Bah.. I would burn him and his family for any of the Pact soldiers, even for one of those smelly lizard things.

I approach each of the quest choices from the "position" of the character as I think they would react. So my sorcerer who is interested in Magic and Craft sacrificed Valeste, but my Templar-Healer, who went through EP, saved Valaste and allowed the Captain you speak of to voluntarily sacrifice herself.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played one of my characters through the whole thing with never telling a lie. No matter the consequence he told the truth. Was a bit of a bummer sometimes when a lie might comfort someone but I told the truth anyway.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
This discussion has been closed.