The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

How to uninstall ESO?

Raash
Raash
✭✭✭✭
Cant seem to find any uninstall.exe file anywhere? Do I have to manually delete everything?
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the launcher to uninstall.
  • AngryWolf
    AngryWolf
    ✭✭✭
    This probably would have been better in the tech support forum, but just go in through your control panel/programs and features and uninstall there.
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    AngryWolf wrote: »
    This probably would have been better in the tech support forum, but just go in through your control panel/programs and features and uninstall there.

Well, i would have done so if there was anything in there to uninstall. Nothing about ESO in there at all.

From the launcher? How do you do that? could it be that i still use same launcher I did as in the betas? Cant find anything anywhere that make you uninstall
    Edited by Raash on July 2, 2014 2:53PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful when uninstalling - the uninstall deletes everything in the directory you installed the game to. If you've got other stuff in that spot, either move it first, or manually delete the ESO stuff.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    Be careful when uninstalling - the uninstall deletes everything in the directory you installed the game to. If you've got other stuff in that spot, either move it first, or manually delete the ESO stuff.

I thought that had been fixed?
    (be nice to an 'official' answer to this specific point)

:/
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game is named "THE Elder Scrolls Online". It is down at the bottom of the list in the 'T' area of "Control Panel/Programs and Features"

Do NOT manually delete the directories prior to uninstalling; it will leave Registry links dangling.
    Edited by Innocente on July 2, 2014 2:56PM
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    I finally found it, it was in the launcher! Thank you david
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting in a stealth "I quit!" thread.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dekkameron wrote: »

Well not much of a loss from someone who can't figure out how to uninstall a simple program.
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭

lol, could have been but aint the case. Just gonna take a break for a month or two.
    and for the scamps in thread, there was no uninstall option in controll/uninstal program place in windows, nor in any ESO directory.
    It was however in the launcher, hidden in a really small section. Not easy to spot at all.
    and thats about that.
    Edited by Raash on July 2, 2014 3:17PM
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raash wrote: »

lol, could have been but aint the case. Just gonna take a break for a month or two.
    and for the scamps in thread, there was no uninstall option in controll/uninstal program place in windows, nor in any ESO directory.
    It was however in the launcher, hidden in a really small section. Not easy to spot at all.
    and thats about that.

You're welcome.
  • Syrrisdevlin
    Syrrisdevlin
    ✭✭

That's not a uninstall that my friends is called a full blown computer wipe to a fresh start
    EDIT
    or better yet keyboard screen of death???
    Some rage quit a bit much?? Wonder what game they were playing
    Edited by ZOS_SilviaS on July 3, 2014 3:39AM
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a uninstall that my friends is called a full blown computer wipe to a fresh start
    EDIT
    or better yet keyboard screen of death???
    Some rage quit a bit much?? Wonder what game they were playing

World of Warcraft
    Edited by ZOS_SilviaS on July 3, 2014 3:39AM
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You knew how to uninstall. You are just being dramatic.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »

I thought that had been fixed?
    (be nice to an 'official' answer to this specific point)

:/
    Possibly, I hadn't heard one way or the other (and I haven't tried uninstalling just for the fun of it either).
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are are serious then you could try getting C cleaner and uninstalling it through that...

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Format all drives, then use a magnet just to be sure none of the bugs got away and had time to hide...
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • AelyinESO
    AelyinESO
    ✭✭✭
    • format c:
    • fdisk /dev/hdb
    • diskutil eraseVolume "Tuxera NTFS" my-ntfs disk0s4

:D
    NA PC Server - CP810 - Played Since Beta 2014, but left for 4 years, coz games got unbalancing, boring and too much expensive (still?)

- MagSorc (50) - DPS
    - MagTem (50) - Healer
    - StamDK (50) - Tank
    - StamNecro (50) - DPS
    - StamTem (developing) - DPS
    - MagNecro (developing) - DPS
    - MagWard (developing) - Healer
    - Stamblade (developing) - DPS

"Stop nerfing Sorcerers please"
    "Stop putting most interesting items inside a lucky Crate costing money"
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG is this true? And people defend this game! This is crazy. I have never heard of a game deleting other files not related to it.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mablung 2 second search shows quite a few games do this, WoW included. Its typical for the uninstaller to delete its own folder, if you have put the installer in a folder other than the typical install its always a good case to see if there is a custom unistall option on the game.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6607192051

http://forums.darkspore.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1693

http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=3546
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    @mablung 2 second search shows quite a few games do this, WoW included. Its typical for the uninstaller to delete its own folder, if you have put the installer in a folder other than the typical install its always a good case to see if there is a custom unistall option on the game.

Easy on the veiled insult cool breeze. I have not ever heard of this happening in any game. Why would I perform a search when there is a topic here, right now, discussing it?

If it pains you to answer then why answer?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »

OMG is this true? And people defend this game! This is crazy. I have never heard of a game deleting other files not related to it.
    Lots of uninstallers delete everything in the program's directory. If you use the default directory that the installer suggests when you do the install, it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't, then you should make sure you don't have anything unrelated to the game in the same directory before you uninstall. That actually goes for every program you ever uninstall. Not all uninstallers do this, but enough do that you should always ensure there's nothing else in the program location before you uninstall.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »

Easy on the veiled insult cool breeze. I have not ever heard of this happening in any game. Why would I perform a search when there is a topic here, right now, discussing it?

If it pains you to answer then why answer?

Lol perception is reality I guess, but there was no implied insult on my end.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Chatoyancy
    Chatoyancy
    ✭✭✭

Lots of uninstallers delete everything in the program's directory. If you use the default directory that the installer suggests when you do the install, it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't, then you should make sure you don't have anything unrelated to the game in the same directory before you uninstall. That actually goes for every program you ever uninstall. Not all uninstallers do this, but enough do that you should always ensure there's nothing else in the program location before you uninstall.

My understanding is that it is not only the program's own directory, but also the directory above it.

So, for example, if you installed the game in C:\Games\ESO, it will not only wipe out the ESO folder, but also everything in Games.

http://techpreacher.corti.com/2014/04/28/heads-up-elder-scrolls-online-on-pc-installer-can-delete-your-files-if-a-custom-folder-is-selected/
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That article reminds me of when my grandmother first got into computers. She knew just enough to get herself into trouble.

Really, who installs to just "c:\games\"?? Every installer ever asks you what directory you want the game installed to, not which directory do you want us to create a sub-directory in.

Rookie mistake.
    [DC/NA]
  • ZOS_CarolusS
    ZOS_CarolusS
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, glad to see that the original question has already been answered. We are moving this thread to the English Customer Support section as it is more fitting there.

We have also removed some content for violating our Community Rules and would like to remind everyone to keep this discussion civil and constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • melvin
    melvin
    LOL. I stumbled on this thread in a search.

I used the uninstall link in Windows 7 Start menu program "The Elder Scrolls Online". It said it did deleted the game.

BUT, my disk space did not appreciably change and the (over 30GB) "Zenimax Online" folder is still there.

Actually, it successfully deleted the Launcher and the uninstall file. NOW, no occurrence of the game shows in Control Panel or other places... oh, except for the the over 30GB of space.

Their uninstall deleted itself, but not the actual program files! I guess I should delete manually. BTW, I had done a clean reboot of the PC just before trying the uninstall... I'm always cautious that way; don't want any files to be deleted in-use.
  • WyndStryke
    WyndStryke
    ✭✭✭
    melvin wrote: »
    ... I used the uninstall link in Windows 7 Start menu program "The Elder Scrolls Online". It said it did deleted the game. ...

That just uninstalls the launcher, not the game itself. You need to uninstall from the launcher first, then go to control panel to uninstall the launcher itself.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chatoyancy wrote: »

My understanding is that it is not only the program's own directory, but also the directory above it.

So, for example, if you installed the game in C:\Games\ESO, it will not only wipe out the ESO folder, but also everything in Games.

http://techpreacher.corti.com/2014/04/28/heads-up-elder-scrolls-online-on-pc-installer-can-delete-your-files-if-a-custom-folder-is-selected/

It does not. I, in fact, have it installed in C:\Games. My game installation got hosed a few weeks ago and I had to uninstall/reinstall. It did not delete anything other than itself.