The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to uninstall ESO?

• melvin
    melvin
    WyndStryke, I expect I will need to re-install the Launcher and then do as you recommend. Thanks!

Wow, that's bad news Saerydoth. I put my apps on another drive, so I do alter the path in a slight way. That is, I only change the drive letter; from C to D. I think I might actually be safe in that instance since the rest of the path is still Program Files\Zenimax Online.
  • melvin
    melvin
    I reinstalled the Launcher and it recognized the full installation so there were no huge automatic downloads. The game started. Now to try to uninstall the game first, then the Launcher as recommended. I only found one uninstall, though, (the Control Panel and the ESO Start folder both pointed to the same uninstall file).

Only the Launcher was uninstalled; not the game itself. But maybe a non-problem. I looked in the Registry and couldn't find any associations to the game. I think there really was no problem, except that it doesn't remove the 30GB+ files of the game. I can do that manually.

The confusion was all mine. I assumed that the uninstall, which says it will uninstall the game of "The Elder Scrolls Online", would remove more than just the Launcher files. ALTHOUGH, it would be a shame to accidentally delete 30GB+ of files, so maybe that is the wisdom in the design. Maybe all ESO has to do is make it clear that people need to delete the game folder. Ha. I can still run the game after the uninstall. For me, I just run (as admin) this:

D : \Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The confusion is compounded by the obscure location of the 'game' Uninstall option, and also because while in most MMOs a 'launcher' app. is really the part of the game for all intents and purposes and uninstalling that removes the game, ESO's launcher really is just a launcher .. like Trion's new Glyph for Rift .. so it is a separate package.

What should happen is that the Launcher's uninstaller should warn you if there are games it is used to launch still present and do you want to remove those first.
  • melvin
    melvin
    I agree with that. Reliable methods to install and uninstall games was figured out years ago. This should be a straightforward, if not mundane, implementation task. This is a huge game and I know ESO has bigger issues with the game itself, but it's not rocket science to get this little thing "right".

Well, those of us reading this thread that care about this, (which is probably not many) now know the story. No doubt there will be other threads posted on the same subject as long as the implementation is the way it is. :-(
  • Mishanya
    Mishanya
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want to make new thread, so will ask here.
    OS is Windows 7.
    I needed to re-install ESO onto another logical disk, and I had to uninstall ESO from system disk C and install it on logical disk D, but the process was really quick and there are several directories left on disk C.
    As I think, directory in "My documents" is the same, no matter where is ESO intalled. But could I delete manually the directory "Zenimax Online" from "Program files"?
    Wasting time is an important part of life
  • melvin
    melvin
    I'm sorry I don't know, but no one has responded to date. What I found that people say work to put ESO onto another place, (logical disk in your case) is at this link:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1067259/#Comment_1067259

People seem to agree that method works. Here is the post at the above link says:

Brabok

easiest way to migrate the game is
    1. copy the zenimax online folder over to your desired location
    2. go to the account page and click download/install client
    3. start the installation and be sure to select install DirectXand VC++
    4. point the installation path (Browse) to the Folder you just copied over
    5. the launcher will be installed, check the folder for Data integrity and patch or repair as needed

Done

Regarding that method, another person warns this:

IceDragon79

One crucial thing, make sure you get those folder names right otherwise it will try to download all over again