The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is this addon ok? seems borderline exploit.

Qhival
Qhival
✭✭✭
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info224-Jumper.html#info

Apparently you can't teleport to yourself with the guild UI, but you can type out a long series of characters in chat to teleport to yourself. This places you at your nearest wayshrine. Sounds awesome right? it is. This addon creater simply made a short /jump alias for it.

I've only had it a few hours, and i'm starting to feel guilty. Even though it isnt accessing memory or doing anything fishy per say, It needs clarified. you could do it anyways, this just gets by all the hassle of deciding who to travel to on the guild list. They basically need to remove wayshrine cost completely or remove teleporting completely if they decide this is an exploit.

Will one of you fine devs look into this for me and let us know if this is ok to use?

EDIT: possible solution: make guild teleporting cost gold unless at a shrine. I think that solves everything
Edited by Qhival on April 14, 2014 12:08AM
-Archival -Templar, NA
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would say it is an exploit since it is a free jump to the wayshrine and does not charge you the gold that it would take to jump to that wayshrine via the in game map.
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    I would say, it's "clever use of the game mechanics".

To prevent that nonsense It would need a cooldown, or on the other hand removal of wayshrine tele cost as whole.
    Options
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's using a legit API call called JumpToGuildMember(). I don't see it as being an exploit. Addons can only make API calls that they have been specifically authorized to call.
    Options
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the jump commands to port to friend, guildmember or to leader in a forum thread somewhere. It didnt mention an add on in the thread, I thought it was just shortcuts to the command tree. I havent used them so Im not sure if it was an add on or not
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    Well it's using a legit API call called JumpToGuildMember(). I don't see it as being an exploit. Addons can only make API calls that they have been specifically authorized to call.

This is true, but unlike other addons it completely gets around a econ game mechanic. I dont think the addon creator is to blame at all, nor do i think he should be punished if this is deemed to be an exploit. It's just something the devs left open.
    Edited by Qhival on April 13, 2014 11:54PM
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Well if it does not have a cost, it should have a cooldown and problem would be somewhat sorted.
    Options
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    "If triggered by command or keybinding Jumper teleports you to the nearest wayshrine if available.
    The addon uses the function JumpToGuildMember() so it is a free jump!"

I take it there is not a guild member waiting for you at the nearest wayshrine? If not it seems like an exploit to avoid paying the cost to teleport to a shrine from the wilderness.

Just my opinion though.
    Options
  • hippy777b14a_ESO
    I would consider this an exploit. That's what exploits DO is exploit in game mechanics to achieve a benefit that was not intended by the original intent or design of the game.

I'm pretty sure they did not intend the teleport to guildmate function to provide a way to circumvent the cost of getting to a wayshrine (time or gold wise)
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    I've seen the jump commands to port to friend, guildmember or to leader in a forum thread somewhere. It didnt mention an add on in the thread, I thought it was just shortcuts to the command tree. I havent used them so Im not sure if it was an add on or not

that's all part of the game.
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • Sadique
    Sadique
    ✭✭✭
    does it even matter if it has a cost? i can just teleport to a friend or guildy and still get around the wayshrine costs. Teleporting to yourself or a friend both have a loading time.
    Options
  • destructor646646b14_ESO
    AFAIK, you can do this yourself manually by finding a guilded person in your zone and RMB -> Teleport to Player. You'll then port as close as you can to them via a shrine and drop into their instance.

What this mod does is (somehow) make the guilded person you. Thus you teleport to the shrine closest to you as it's trying to teleport you to you.

This is something they can't exactly fix without disabling the entire ability to either 1) Port to a Wayshrine when not next to one, or 2) Disable the ability to port to a friend/guildmate.

Losing either of the above features will be...bad.
    Options
  • awkwarrd
    awkwarrd
    ✭✭✭
    Normally a ZOS person has replied by now to answer something like this.

Either way i can't see this being fixed or stopped anytime soon.
    Edited by awkwarrd on April 14, 2014 12:00AM
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Losing either of the above features will be...bad.
    OR adding a cooldown to guild port.
    There, fixed.
    Options
  • Nyxx
    Nyxx
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like an exploit. I would avoid it if I were you. At least until ZOS takes a look at it and says it's alright to use.
    The Psijic Order
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    Sadique wrote: »
    does it even matter if it has a cost? i can just teleport to a friend or guildy and still get around the wayshrine costs. Teleporting to yourself or a friend both have a loading time.

this is what im thinking. you could do it anyways, this just gets by all the hassle of deciding who to travel to on the guild list. They basically need to remove wayshrine cost completely or remove teleporting completely if they decide this is an exploit
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Can you teleport to the nearest wayshrine in game without the add-on and without paying a gold cost?

If the answer is no then it is an exploit. It seems pretty straight forward. Add-ons are not intended to circumvent or bypass in-game systems.
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    Dolenz wrote: »
    Can you teleport to the nearest wayshrine in game without the add-on and without paying a gold cost?

If the answer is no then it is an exploit. It seems pretty straight forward. Add-ons are not intended to circumvent or bypass in-game systems.

you can teleport to anyone in any of your guilds and be at a shrine without paying a gold cost. is that an exploit?
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • ragamerb16_ESO
    ragamerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It's an exploit... And you can bet the function call will be modified silently to not allow self-teleports (It's trivial to fix) leaving it as how the Wayshrines work anywhere else on the game... To teleport to other person instance.

The only ppl that don't see this as such are the ones that don't understand what an exploit is or doesn't care about exploiting in the first place.
    Edited by ragamerb16_ESO on April 14, 2014 12:06AM
    Options
  • Medwin
    Medwin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well since you can always just jump to friends how is it an exploit?
    Please read through and comment on my incredibly comprehensive Vampire guide. :)
    Officer at Cross Guild check us out, we are a large DC guild that does PvP, RP, and PvE. We have things for just about anyone.
    RP Characters: Anora, Redguard -- Mira Medwin, Dunmer -- Pia Patricia Potts, Breton
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    The only ppl that don't see it as such are the ones that don't understand what an exploit is or doesn't care about them.

Or those that think game has bigger problems now. I would like to see that patched, but seriously, there are more pressing issues at hand. This is not hurting anyone, even if it's borderline grey area. Shame on devs, that they can't see through loopholes as obvious as this.
    Edited by AlliN on April 14, 2014 12:09AM
    Options
  • destructor646646b14_ESO
    Qhival wrote: »
    you can teleport to anyone in any of your guilds and be at a shrine without paying a gold cost. is that an exploit?

Exactly. That's what makes this mod (and thus the entire teleporting system) so questionable. It does what you can do yourself at any time.

Also, okay, so let's say they put a cooldown on guild teleporting. Most people only pay to teleport to a wayshrine when they're moving back to sell as their inventory is completely full, so it's not like they do it that often.
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    possible fix: make teleporting cost gold unless at a shrine. I think that solves everything
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they consider this an exploit, this type of thing is usually just altered with a patch so the addon doesn't work anymore, rather than any sort of banning. It's using a publicly available API function, so there's no rule breaking.
    Options
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is something they can't exactly fix without disabling the entire ability to either 1) Port to a Wayshrine when not next to one, or 2) Disable the ability to port to a friend/guildmate.

Sure they can. All they have to do is add the following check (pseudocode because I don't have LUA or the object model memorized) to the JumpToGuildMember() function:

if Target = Player then CancelJump.
    Options
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care one way or another and if it stays in they game it won't affect me at all.

As I understand it though, it is an exploit.
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    if this functionality is removed it would be possible just change it to teleport to anyone online in your guild instead. Exact same advantage, exact same mod on the surface.
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Qhival wrote: »
    if this functionality is removed it would be possible just change it to teleport to anyone online in your guild instead. Exact same advantage, exact same mod on the surface.

And not and exploit if it functioned like that.
    Options
  • ragamerb16_ESO
    ragamerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Well... Good luck finding ALWAYS a guildm8/friend near the Shrine you want to port to... Specially on PvP environments (Cyrodiil is going to be an even strangest "PvP" zone once this addon generalizes itself).

The problem is ppl that believes they are smarter than others... Keep on abusing this and 2 things are going to happen:

a) Teleports to players will incur into the same cost as manually having to do the same. This means the player should be charged gold equivalent to manually travel to the nearest discovered wayshrine... Obviously a "grace" distance around a wayshrine (like 10m) would make this ports free... More or less equivalent as if a player manually run to a shrine and then initiate the teleport clicking on it.

b) Teleports to other players will be disabled to targets on the same instance as the player attempting them (Which is something that should always been like that... The main goal of all this "transport" mechanisms is allowing groups to play together on the same copy of a given zone).

Obviously, the above 2 modifications would take longer to implement than a simple "target = self" check to disable the action.
    Edited by ragamerb16_ESO on April 14, 2014 12:37AM
    Options
  • Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    Well... Good luck finding ALWAYS a guildm8/friend near the Shrine you want to port to... Specially on PvP environments (Cyrodiil is going to be an even strangest "PvP" zone once this addon generalizes itself).

a shrine is a shrine, why does it matter if it's nearby? once at a shrine you can just teleport to the shrine you want.
    -Archival -Templar, NA
    Options
  • ragamerb16_ESO
    ragamerb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    a shrine is a shrine, why does it matter if it's nearby? once at a shrine you can just teleport to the shrine you want.

A shrine... On ANOTHER zone/instance is not a regular shrine... As any1 on the EU server at peak times can tell you.
    Edited by ragamerb16_ESO on April 14, 2014 12:41AM
    Options