Armor appearance

• ImaginaryDimension
    ImaginaryDimension
    ✭✭✭
    20130917000623a0dkybg99s1bh5fr.jpg

I want this armor. The problem is even with max graphics the details in the armor don't stand out much. I want a sword that looks scary to look at, I want shiny armor with spikes coming out of it.

I want a shield where the actual shield is the head of a dragon or something. Be creative.
  • gladen5rwb17_ESO
    gladen5rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Two things I think, the lack of texture depth (not sure what is called when creating it), it looks very lackluster and thin. Then there is the lack of depth in color. I mean the current colors of the browns, reds, blues and greens. It is pastel in pallet color, it is without doubt water color in paint instead of oil. Anyone with knowledge in painting can point this obvious flaw out.
  • steven_shidiwenb16_ESO
    Irlp9p8ug1kl9.jpg
    n the topic of Daedric... Here is Legendary Medium deadric from a screenshot i took awhile back. Why the heck do i look LIKE A GREEN BEETLE?! If i wanted to dress like a god damn leaf i would play GW2 and go the stupid tree race!
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    Ok, I have to multi-quote here:
    Lionxoft, "LOL i'm not sure i'd agree with you there... My VR daedric gear is poop brown, blue and gold. Why not black, red and i'd even let a little poop brown in there just to be flexible with ZOS' vision."

gladen5nwb17_ESO, "Two things I think, the lack of texture depth (not sure what is called when creating it), it looks very lackluster and thin. Then there is the lack of depth in color. I mean the current colors of the browns, reds, blues and greens. It is pastel in pallet color, it is without doubt water color in paint instead of oil. Anyone with knowledge in painting can point this obvious flaw out."

steven_shidiwenb16_ESO, "the topic of Daedric... Here is Legendary Medium deadric from a screenshot i took awhile back. Why the heck do i look LIKE A GREEN BEETLE?! If i wanted to dress like a god damn leaf i would play GW2 and go the stupid tree race!"

I agree with all of these. And two of them made me laugh out loud. I think ESO armor is a complete fail as far as looks go. I'm at level 43 now, have had some really awesome armor, and it all looked like crap. Sure some has accents, but all the accents look like they bought the cheapest color they could find. Like the armor is painted by Earl Shribe, if you get the reference. It's all washed out, rarely shiny, and if it is shiny, it's the crappy color they decided to shine up. With so much more detail every where else, why the total fail in armor?
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    Oh, and ImaginaryDimension, I agree those armors look cool in that they've got nice shapes, but the color scheme still sucks ***. You know what all these armors look like? They look like they were created by a very good design team, who made them awesome in shape and color, and then some fool said "nope, you are only allowed 2 colors per armor piece and you are only allowed to pick from this pre-chosen pallet. Now well just use this little application to replace all your colors with the pre-chosen 2 color options".
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Irlp9p8ug1kl9.jpg
    n the topic of Daedric... Here is Legendary Medium deadric from a screenshot i took awhile back. Why the heck do i look LIKE A GREEN BEETLE?! If i wanted to dress like a god damn leaf i would play GW2 and go the stupid tree race!
    Colour used have something to do with race and level, ie if you were a different race it might be a different colour (or maybe just a different shade of green) or if you get into the next level bracket (don't know what they are).

But they do need to do something, the colours are bad, even Swtor had a better system (actually I liked Swtor's dyes).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    20130917000623a0dkybg99s1bh5fr.jpg

I want this armor. The problem is even with max graphics the details in the armor don't stand out much.
    Yes please, having my Dunmer in armour similar to that would be cool.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    The current armor models are indeed pretty dull and it's also prevalent in the single player counterparts(Oblivion, Skyrim) sadly. I'm hoping that there will be better armor designs as the content progresses...
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • ImaginaryDimension
    ImaginaryDimension
    ✭✭✭
    They tried to keep it authentic by having the armor look like it actually belongs in that era but the problem is this is a game and not real life.

We want shiny armor with some depth in the colours. The plate armour needs to look like it could withstand a mortar round. The shields need to look like shields and not just a plank of wood rounded off.

Here is a prime example of epic looking armour once you add some colour

150717_636384359708250_680539218_n.png

video%20games%20weapons%20aion%20fantasy%20art%20armor%20axes%20mmo%20white%20hair%20fans_www.wallpapernono.com_91.jpg

Weapons

craftgearweapon011.jpg

3-5_concept_weapon01.jpg

We're not asking you to turn the game into WoW style armor but add some damned colour, add some definition and add some creativity. I too am sick off the dull colours and armor that looks like it was made from cardboard.
  • Corbin_Fisher
    Corbin_Fisher
    ✭✭
    Agreed with needing more variety, colors and design for armors. This is a game where crafting is really useful and people are actually into it. But it needs variety.

Skinning, colors. Options, options, Options.
  • steven_shidiwenb16_ESO
    Keep this post going, they said we would be able to alter our appearance if we didn't like the way the armor looked, we should fight for this as its in every modern MMO these days. If it be in the form of dyes or other we need something.
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    Keep this post going, they said we would be able to alter our appearance if we didn't like the way the armor looked, we should fight for this as its in every modern MMO these days. If it be in the form of dyes or other we need something.

I'm not sure the devs make decisions about the game based on a forum thread. Probably better off submitting feedback than hoping this thread will spark a change.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the armour designs in the game, but the colours are so drab. I realise this is an art style, and I wouldn't want to see garish WoW or GW2 colours in this game. But it would be nice if they could give us a little more scope within the colour palette of the game to dye our gear. All they need to do is stick to the colours already used on gear and other items in the game, but allow us to apply it how we wish to create our own look.

But first they need to fix the rapid rate of gear decay and high repair costs, because there's no point lovingly crafting and dyeing an item if you are going to trash it within an hour of use.
  • reptipresb16_ESO
    I am in someone of an agreement with the first post.

I don't want crazy colors or anything, but it is all very similar. Some variation would be nice.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more "evil" looking armor, or simply darker looking armor.

The designs themselves could be a bit more varied, too.

Otherwise I quite like how natural they all look.
  • Vunter
    Vunter
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you come from, people? World of Warcraft?
    If you've never played a TES game, you can't give suggestions about the style of the game.
    No crazy armors and weapons.
    No capes or cloaks.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could do with some more variety in weapons & armor, and some beefing up of them.
  • VermaWyrda
    VermaWyrda
    ✭✭✭
    you are all forgetting that the main armors do get different colors depending on rarity
    and also the higher the level the more details an armor gets

as well as smal color changes

level 1 is bland grey
    even hte upgraded versions are

but when you wear a level 10 Full Blue rarity armor set
    itl have Gold borders
    and Black leathers
    instead of silver and brown leathers
    not to mention that hte detailing on some of the cloth armors gets higher as well

dont like low level white gear?
    upgrade it to green or even blue gear

then make hte same armor level in white
    wear them one after hte other
    Youl see hte difference outright

hell even i know when some one is wearing higher tier gear when it comes to low levels
    (cause sadly level 12 green armor gets Blue Edges instead of gold or brass)
  • merwanoreb17_ESO
    I agree that armors lack in variety, especially since they have new models from crafting that change over time all they way until you start with Dwarven, Thick Leather and Spidersilk. But then it suddenly stops and we only start getting recolors of the same armors and weapons over and over again. Not only that, but they are all lore breaking.

Why is the early Orichalcum plate armor steel colored, and the later Orichalcum green? And why is early plate dwarven armor also green but the later color version of dwarven armor is golden.

Seems they messed up the coloring for some tiers of armor. The green color should only be applied to the Orichalcum armor, and Dwarven armor should be golden.

I just turned 40 and if I am going to be stuck with one set of armor models for my long way to Rank 10, I will be very bored at the end. This game sorely needs some armor redesign, the tiers needs to be brought back to a more lore correct way, and the later tiers like Ebony+ needs their own models.

SWTOR made their biggest mistake in a lack of gear variety, and many left because of it, I know I did and many of my friends got tired of the boring armors and lack of variety.

That being said, I do not want armors that look like stuff taken from Asian MMOs or WOW, those are way to over the top and does not fit TES. I like the style of most armors in the game except the Deadric armor, that looks stupid and ridiculous.

We could also do with a appearance tab or a wardrobe tab in this game, I really hate being forced to look like a clown while playing games like this. Right now I only use crafted gear as I hate having gear that does not match. And nothing is more boring than to reach end game and find that everyone looks exactly the same.

MMOs needs an appearance tab or something that gives us the option to customize your look. The racial styles is a good way to diversify, but it is not enough.
    Edited by merwanoreb17_ESO on April 26, 2014 3:50PM
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stiler wrote: »
    Realistic? No, the armor design in TES games has NEVER been realistic by any means, the closest "realistic" one was the Iron/Steel armor in Oblivion.

The others are not realistic at all, Horns on helmets, spikes on shoulders, oversized parts, etc.

Also the idea that armor was not "colorful" is simply untrue.

Plate armor especially had so many variations of ways to decorate it that they did over the late middle ages when it was at its height.

You had the color from the hammer , blacksmiths could (through using certain temperatures) make the actual base material of the armor different color (blue, etc), then you had designs over this (etching, embossing, rivets, etc).

Then on top of this you could paint it!

This is something SOOOOOOOOO many people don't realize but they actually could (And did) paint over armor.

Just google "black sallets" for historic proof of this.

On top of painting on armor they also had some that could have cloth placed over it (there was little latches for hanging the cloth, like on helmets) which was another way to decorate the armor.

The idea that all armor was nothing but polished silver is so far from the truth

That's not even counting the use of Tabbards/coat of arms and other things.

Colored and gilded armor usually wasn't battlefield armor. Most of the time full plate wasn't battlefield armor either. It was prohibitively expensive for most and was reserved for parades and tournaments. Full did provide superior protection and there's an account of King Philip II being saved by his plate armor after being unhorsed but he was a king and could afford such lavish armor, and it was lavish at the time.

You simply did not see armies of soldiers in colored, gilded full plate. You went to tournaments and royal functions to see that. Real history wasn't Game Of Thrones.

For me ESO is the perfect mix of that realism with fantasy. The occasional horns on helmets or highly gilded heavy armor with embellishments is fine. What matters is it comes nowhere near what WoW or anime-inspired MMOs have.

Tabards for ourselves and our horses I'm all for. That's where the color and artistry (in the form of heraldry) was shown.

I also think they got daedric armor backwards. It gets less colorful.
    Edited by Holycannoli on April 26, 2014 3:46PM
  • VermaWyrda
    VermaWyrda
    ✭✭✭
    Hexin wrote: »
    I agree, we could use guild capes. That fits into the realism of the armor. I like capes. Makes me feel like superman when I'm in AvA, WvW, RvR ... whatever you want to call PvP.

But I assume the armor at higher levels gets slightly better. Not expecting anything, but capes would be a welcomed addition.

Edna Mode Say's : NO CAPE'S

(in wich i concur capes only look nice if the engine alows it to move and NOT CUT TROUGH YOUR LEGGS)
    but regarding the engine we have i dont see that happening
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Danariel
    Danariel
    ✭✭✭
    To combat some of the lower level same-ol'-same-ol', I've saved up most of my disguises from quests. I have the Quendelun Heritance disguise, and wore it for quite a long time. I use the Vulkhel Guard Marine and Phaer Mercenary disguises on my lower level alts until I get something I like better. I now have the Maormer disguise from Greenshade (I think) but you have to make sure to not be wearing it while you're fighting in the quest it's made for, or you lose it and have to go pick up another. This Maormer disguise appears to be Ancient Elf motif - I can't wait to find the motif book so I can craft it (or similar) myself. It even has a pretty blue sheen to the metal pieces.

My main is now level 36, and I just made level 36 green quality Altmer Medium armor. It's black/very dark blue with subdued, dark metal pieces, and looks GREAT on my Vamp sneaky bowplar.

However, the level 30 gear I made was great at white and green quality, but when I upgraded it to blue, it got more drab. :s

I'd love to see dyes implemented, as well as transmorph/transmog a look I like onto better statted armor.
    Mara's Tester, Psijic Order Tester
    Danariel Van'nari (Warden), Danariel (Templar), Danariel Moonbow (Nightblade), Danariel Stormborn (Sorceress)
    The Old Timer's Guild, Mara's Moxie, The Psijic Order, Arrow and Knee Cafters
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bodypainting armor is definatly one of the ugliest parts of the game. People like detailed looking armor and not this. It would have been acceptable 10 years ago, but in 2014 its very much sub par.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • LimeFox
    LimeFox
    ✭✭✭
    I like my armor right now. I have on Breton medium gloves, boots, and belt, an argonian medium armor chestpiece, Bosmer medium leather pants and a light armor Breton headpiece. Everything is a rust brown with a touch of copper, my headpiece has a nice facemask addition to it that looks great on my assassin character, and the argonian armor is a silvery crocodile with turquoise accents. It looks neat, and has some interesting colors to it.

I wouldn't mind a dye system as long as people can't do Barbie pink. The day I see a Legally Blonde armor set running around on an Orc is the day I leave the game. That being said, yes, armor is pretty generic and ugly until you level a lot. I'm in level 38 gear, and I love the way it looks, but level 19 gear is still going to look dull. It's the same in all the MMO's I've played, lower level gear looks like crap.
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    VermaWyrda wrote: »
    you are all forgetting that the main armors do get different colors depending on rarity
    and also the higher the level the more details an armor gets

as well as smal color changes

level 1 is bland grey
    even hte upgraded versions are

but when you wear a level 10 Full Blue rarity armor set
    itl have Gold borders
    and Black leathers
    instead of silver and brown leathers
    not to mention that hte detailing on some of the cloth armors gets higher as well

dont like low level white gear?
    upgrade it to green or even blue gear

then make hte same armor level in white
    wear them one after hte other
    Youl see hte difference outright

hell even i know when some one is wearing higher tier gear when it comes to low levels
    (cause sadly level 12 green armor gets Blue Edges instead of gold or brass)

The higher level armors don't look any better really. I'm at level 44 now, all the armors are the same drab shades, just different combinations. I saw one person that had made their own complete set of high level dwarven, it looked dirty, not "gold". The armor in Skyrim was SOOOOO much better.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others have stated it's because with the other ES games, it's to give it that authentic look. Some npcs and armor i've seen have a bit more colour but they look realistic with some dirt on them etc. You won't see someone in a bright blue shirt.

But I've seen baby blue pants (apparently they were orc style, so i'm told). They were a little dirty. I'm staring at an NPC right now with what looks like a silk shirt/robe mix with a light blue and matching pants. Again, slightly gritty/dirty looking.

The characters in this world don't have washing machines to keep their clothes looking amazing. They basically take what they can afford and wear it until it falls apart. Even the "royalty" is limited.

In these lands the characters don't have access to fancy machinery and systems to dye them like we do in the real world. They would get their dyes and make it themselves from plants etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more colours though. Some light pinks or yellows. They can do it and still keep the same authentic feel to it. They don't have to be bright and shiny.

I agree with what some others said though. Bright armors and things like wildstar and wow would just ruin this game.

>.<_____/
    If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
    Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
    Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
    All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
    Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax needs to hire AmethystDeceiver from Skyrim Nexus and have them design a black sacrament armor set for ESO.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    Sidney wrote: »
    As others have stated it's because with the other ES games, it's to give it that authentic look. Some npcs and armor i've seen have a bit more colour but they look realistic with some dirt on them etc. You won't see someone in a bright blue shirt.

But I've seen baby blue pants (apparently they were orc style, so i'm told). They were a little dirty. I'm staring at an NPC right now with what looks like a silk shirt/robe mix with a light blue and matching pants. Again, slightly gritty/dirty looking.

The characters in this world don't have washing machines to keep their clothes looking amazing. They basically take what they can afford and wear it until it falls apart. Even the "royalty" is limited.

In these lands the characters don't have access to fancy machinery and systems to dye them like we do in the real world. They would get their dyes and make it themselves from plants etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more colours though. Some light pinks or yellows. They can do it and still keep the same authentic feel to it. They don't have to be bright and shiny.

I agree with what some others said though. Bright armors and things like wildstar and wow would just ruin this game.

No, they are NOT "authentic", that is clearly not what they were shooting for. When I said "dirty" I didn't mean that the armor had dirt on it, there isn't that much detail, I meant that it looked like dirty gold. Like some cheap paint you buy that is called "gold" but has no shine. Like there is dirt IN the paint.

And about dyes, who said plant dyes were dull? There are some extremely vibrant dyes that come from plants and bug parts.

I wish people would stop making excuses for crappy game design. The armor needs more, and more vibrant, color, period.