Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Armor appearance

Alan_Hawk
Alan_Hawk
I wanted to post this in the developer discussion area but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that and I can't find a more relevant area, so here it will go.

Why is the armor so UGLY? Seriously? That's the best you could do? Grey and brown, with maybe a little bit of blue, for EVERY set of armor? (at least that I've run into after playing up to level 19). Everyones armor is so boring, mine, other players, all the NPC except quest givers, everyone. Even the queen can't seem to give you a set of armor with some color.
  • Stiler
    Stiler
    ✭✭
    This could all be solved with a dye system and tabbards/heraldry that players could put over their armor.
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Teletubbies colours were inspired by the Knights of Camelots.
  • Mavor
    Mavor
    ✭✭✭
    Weapons and armor are very much like previous ES games. Authentic looking! Leave the wacky colors to WoW and Wildstar...
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its realistic. This isn't WoW with everyone running around in comic book armour with garish colours. I like the armour styles myself, and no, please don't allow everyone to dye their armour pink.
  • Liedeke
    Liedeke
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I kind of like the natural and (semi)realistic colours. (realistic as in just as the material is without doing anything to it.)

The idea of @Stiler seems like a nice thing to add to the game for those who dislike the current colours I guess.
    Edited by Liedeke on April 9, 2014 7:47PM
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the realistic colors/tones of the armor. My only gripe is at a particular level you might like the look of your gear but then you level up and the look changes to something that doesn't look so great. Keeps it interesting but kind of annoying.
  • Liedeke
    Liedeke
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little note on the side, bright colours would be historically correct (even though this is a fantasy game of course). In medieval times knights did have bright coloured tabards, red, blue, yellow and more.
    I prefer the natural colours, but it would not be unthinkable to have more bright colours in the game I think.
  • TeliosMadronin
    In most MMOs I have played, low level gear is generally very bland.

Solution: Level up; get cooler looking gear

I have to say that I have enjoyed the ESO gear I have seen so far. Not too flashy but still awesome looking.
  • Stiler
    Stiler
    ✭✭
    Realistic? No, the armor design in TES games has NEVER been realistic by any means, the closest "realistic" one was the Iron/Steel armor in Oblivion.

The others are not realistic at all, Horns on helmets, spikes on shoulders, oversized parts, etc.

Also the idea that armor was not "colorful" is simply untrue.

Plate armor especially had so many variations of ways to decorate it that they did over the late middle ages when it was at its height.

You had the color from the hammer , blacksmiths could (through using certain temperatures) make the actual base material of the armor different color (blue, etc), then you had designs over this (etching, embossing, rivets, etc).

Then on top of this you could paint it!

This is something SOOOOOOOOO many people don't realize but they actually could (And did) paint over armor.

Just google "black sallets" for historic proof of this.

On top of painting on armor they also had some that could have cloth placed over it (there was little latches for hanging the cloth, like on helmets) which was another way to decorate the armor.

The idea that all armor was nothing but polished silver is so far from the truth

That's not even counting the use of Tabbards/coat of arms and other things.
  • Liedeke
    Liedeke
    ✭✭✭
    Stiler wrote: »
    Realistic? No, the armor design in TES games has NEVER been realistic by any means, the closest "realistic" one was the Iron/Steel armor in Oblivion.

The others are not realistic at all, Horns on helmets, spikes on shoulders, oversized parts, etc.

Also the idea that armor was not "colorful" is simply untrue.

Plate armor especially had so many variations of ways to decorate it that they did over the late middle ages when it was at its height.

You had the color from the hammer , blacksmiths could (through using certain temperatures) make the actual base material of the armor different color (blue, etc), then you had designs over this (etching, embossing, rivets, etc).

Then on top of this you could paint it!

This is something SOOOOOOOOO many people don't realize but they actually could (And did) paint over armor.

Just google "black sallets" for historic proof of this.

On top of painting on armor they also had some that could have cloth placed over it (there was little latches for hanging the cloth, like on helmets) which was another way to decorate the armor.

The idea that all armor was nothing but polished silver is so far from the truth

That's not even counting the use of Tabbards/coat of arms and other things.

I agree completely! :smile:
  • Kehlian
    Kehlian
    Soul Shriven
    Armors have a cool smooth and sober look, I love that. They are more "realistic" than in any MMO right now.

I don't want freaking rainbow armors like WoW or GW2, with lights and nuclear lightening anywhere on it.

Keep it that sober and simple, that's cool. But we could use some guild Tabar or cloak, and a dye system :)
  • Hilandra
    Hilandra
    ✭✭
    I enjoy the view of the skins. They look like mentioned above plenty of times "realistic". But I wouldn't mind tabards or banners. It's a nice add. :)
    Edited by Hilandra on April 9, 2014 8:18PM
  • Turkeysammich
    Turkeysammich
    ✭✭✭
    you really want people running around in pink and purple, or neon green? Where in any Elder Scrolls game, aside from mods, were you able to do that? Earthy colors are more realistic, knights never wore lime green in battle, actually...go ahead and implement this idea, while I'm blended into the stone with my UGLY grey and brown armor, I'll just sneak up behind you while you're out in the open with your bright yellow robes.
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    in the elder scrolls games you had TONS of colors, green, gold, black, black and red, off white, etc. Here, bone armor is grey, iron armor is grey, steel armor is grey, leather armor is brown or tan, and I'm betting that obsidian armor will be grey, as will orcish, as will armor made of adamantite or whatever it is. I don't think this was intentional as much as I think the developers just got lazy.

and as others have said, bland armor is NOT "authentic".
  • Hexin
    Hexin
    I agree, we could use guild capes. That fits into the realism of the armor. I like capes. Makes me feel like superman when I'm in AvA, WvW, RvR ... whatever you want to call PvP.

But I assume the armor at higher levels gets slightly better. Not expecting anything, but capes would be a welcomed addition.
  • Korlynn
    Korlynn
    I wouldn't mind having a little more variety.
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue I have is that sometimes, I get new armour and... well... it looks awful. I much prefer my old armour, but if I want to stay useful and able to compete in either PvP or PvE, I need to change to an armour I don't like. Why can't we transform an armour? Have the stats of one with the appearance of another? Vanity slots are a great thing in any game.
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    well if you bought the right pre -release version of the game, you can change the appearance, from whatever it is to "imperial". Which I have, and you know what happens? It changes from grey, to grey with brown accents! So it goes from butt ugly, to a slightly different version of butt ugly.
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The they could add a dye system that only adds certain colours

Black
    Grey
    Brown
    Washed Blue
    Green
    Washed Red

Nothing that is bright or out of proportion with the games environment.
    Basically all the colours we have now with the addition of blacks, silvers, dark reds.

Allow a slider for brightness with a realistic cut off so we have no "sunglasses required" yellows or pinks.
    Edited by cubansyrusb16_ESO on April 9, 2014 10:46PM
  • Stiler
    Stiler
    ✭✭
    That is another great point thejadefalcon, we should have the ability to "transmorg" the armor (like in WoW and GW2).

Where you can take one armor and place it's skin onto another armor (of the same type of course, IE heavy onto heavy, no putting "cloth" armor skins over heavy armor skins).

I had the Knightmare armor set which I thought looked great, it had this nice black color and a gold sash drapped over it see:
    http://i.imgur.com/JynjF21.jpg

, then I got newer armor with better stats but it didn't look nearly as good to me, would have loved to have kept the "look" of the knightmare armor.

• cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    That is another great point thejadefalcon, we should have the ability to "transmorg" the armor (like in WoW and GW2).

Where you can take one armor and place it's skin onto another armor (of the same type of course, IE heavy onto heavy, no putting "cloth" armor skins over heavy armor skins).

I had the Knightmare armor set which I thought looked great, it had this nice black color and a gold sash drapped over it see:
    http://i.imgur.com/JynjF21.jpg

, then I got newer armor with better stats but it didn't look nearly as good to me, would have loved to have kept the "look" of the knightmare armor.

That's Bosmer racial armour. All level look like this from green to gold to grey
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd actually be okay with any armour becoming any armour. The only time I can see it mattering is in PvP, but frankly, from what I've seen so far, your armour doesn't make that much of a difference to combat (there was a point in beta it didn't matter at all, but I think that was a bug) as much as skills and personal ability do. And one great style I saw as a cloth shoulder section instead of pauldrons. It also covered up the hideous breast window in Orcish armour (seriously, the most martial race in TES and you give them a breast window for their heavy armour, what the hell were the artists thinking?).
  • blackwolf7
    blackwolf7
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like flashy armors as well, but in an mmo, i think it is only proper to atleast design the armors to look more elegant.

Currently, almost every armor i see in game (light armors) makes you look like a peasant.

This is an MMO now, and looking unique is part of an MMO experience. Unlike in skyrim wherein you play alone.

I hope a mod or admin will clarify for us if they are planning to add dyes in the future or transmog so we can get the decent looking lower level armors look
  • Rackabones
    Rackabones
    ✭✭
    It's awesome, also when you reach a certain level the armor is even better. I'm loving my Imperial golden armor set, and I hope there's no option for stupid childish colors in the future, that's why games like Wildstar are made, for kids.
  • mikeyyyc_ESO
    mikeyyyc_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is in your post: You're level 19. Mid 20s the armor starts to look pretty bad ass, and VR armor is *** awesome.
  • Kreager
    Kreager
    ✭✭✭
    dyes in red, green, blue, black and white would be plenty. No one is asking for NEON Colors, just the ability to not look exactly like everyone else.
  • Alan_Hawk
    Alan_Hawk
    I'm at level 26 now, the armor is really not much better, the grey armor I have on now is a little darker, the brown border looks a little more like copper, wooo freaking hooo. The best armor I've seen so far? the disguise you put on when you are passing around the invisibility potion, which you can't keep. that disguise had some silvery blue in it.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is in your post: You're level 19. Mid 20s the armor starts to look pretty bad ass, and VR armor is *** awesome.

LOL i'm not sure i'd agree with you there... My VR daedric gear is poop brown, blue and gold. Why not black, red and i'd even let a little poop brown in there just to be flexible with ZOS' vision.
  • blackwolf7
    blackwolf7
    ✭✭✭
    My primal vr5 looks like *** ;c
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad they forgot to make the higher level daedric look good.

There needs to be a transmog or a dye system. The whole "authentic" argument being toted in this thread has no merit.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on April 26, 2014 2:14AM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB