The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Riding Skill instead of Mount Skill?

Elridge
Elridge
✭✭✭
So they said on the twitch video that now we will have a riding skill, instead of the current mount system.

Source:http://www.twitch.tv/zenimaxonlinestudios/v/3711373 24min 44 seconds

Does this mean we can't have multiple mounts with different abilities? I have one for PvE (faster with a good amount of bag space) PvP (pure speed) and RP (armored)

I'm a bit confused as to what they mean by it will now be a riding skill, and worried that we wont be able to customize each mount we own for different situation? or that we will have god mounts with max health/speed/bag space once we fully level riding

Answered Questions So far
MSchroeder wrote: »
We’re aware that many players are attached to their mounts, and that some players use different mounts for different tasks. Rest assured that you will not have to “lose” any mount statistics or visuals. Instead, when the system changes, we will look at all of your mounts, and apply the highest number of speed, stamina, and carrying capacity increases we find; these will become your riding skill. Further, your maximum for each will be as high as the highest achievable now. And of course, each kind of mount you currently own will be available for use via the Collections menu.

An example: Say you have two horses right now. The first, you’ve fed Apples (speed) ten times, and Oats (carrying capacity) twenty times. The second, you’ve fed Apples twenty times, and Hay ten times. When the new system arrives, your riding skill will have 20 speed increases, 20 carrying capacity increases, and 10 stamina increases. This will apply to you, regardless of whatever mount you choose to ride. You’ll also have plenty of room to grow in each category, as you can keep increasing each until you reach each stat’s maximum.

And a second example, for the player who has everything: Say you had a speed horse, a stamina horse, and a carrying horse, and you had improved their best stats to their utmost – the speed horse has eaten nothing but apples, the stamina horse nothing but hay, and the carrying horse nothing but oats. When the new system arrives, and you hop on your mount, you will be riding as fast as you would have on your speed horse, with as much stamina as you would’ve had on your stamina horse, and have as much additional inventory as you would’ve on your carrying horse. This is true regardless of the mount you choose – including the Palomino or Imperial horses.

In short, we feel this is a boon to players of all levels and riding experience. From now on, every horse you ride will be as good, if not better, than the horses you’ve rode until now – and you can choose your mount’s visuals without worrying that it might not be the ‘right’ mount for the job.
To answer a few more questions:

1. “What happens to my mount’s base stats?”

The base stats of your mounts are accounted for when we do the changeover. For instance, take two horses: One is an Imperial horse you've fed 50 Apples to, and the other is a Light Horse (which is the fastest horse in the game), also fed 50 Apples. When the changeover happens, that character will have a full 60 in their riding skill’s Speed category – we’ll have evaluated that character’s mounts, and applied the highest stats they had in each category.

As a second example, take a similar character. He’s got an Imperial Horse that's been fed 50 Apples, and a Light Horse that has only had 10 Apples. When the changeover happens, that character will have 50 points in their riding skill’s Speed category – again, the highest amount of Speed they had in all of their mounts.

In short, those choices you made before, both in choosing a more expensive and skilled mount, and in how you fed them, are taken into account for the conversion.

2. “What happens to the mount’s stat-based appearance?”

When your riding skill gets high enough in each of the three categories – speed, stamina, and carrying capacity – then ALL mounts that character rides henceforth will reflect this, with the appropriate accoutrements. If you’ve increased your riding skill’s carrying capacity enough, then every mount you ride will have saddlebags. This does mean that a fully maximized rider will have barding, armor, and saddlebags, on all of their mounts.

At the moment, our team is working on bugs and improvements with this system. For instance, we have a known issue that a mount with all three stats “past the mark” will only display two of the accoutrements, rather than all three. We’re also considering various ways to allow a player to control which accoutrements their mount has, but we have nothing finalized at this time. Neither the options nor the known issue will be “in” in time for PTS, but we’ll be sure to say when they’re implemented.

3. “What if I have lots of mounts? What if I spread the stats around on them all?”

You’ll still have access to all the visuals of those mounts via the Collections menu. If even one of your characters owns a Light Horse, for instance, then all of your characters can choose to apply that visual to their mount at any time.

As stated before, though, only the maximum of each of the three stats, from all of a character’s mounts, will be brought over to your new riding skill. When the changeover happens, each character’s riding skill is determined independently, based only on the stats of that particular character’s mounts.

4. “Can I still upgrade my riding skill after Update 6?”

Of course! The procedure is very similar to the current system: Just go to a Stablemaster, and you can increase one of the three categories – speed, stamina, or carrying capacity – by one, once per day, for a small gold fee. The only difference is that now, rather than the Stablemaster feeding your mount, they’re training your character!
Account Name:@Elridge
"Be kind and generous to the people of Tamriel. Protect the weak, heal the sick, and give to the needy." -Stendarr "Ten Commands of the Nine Divines"
  • prototypefb
    prototypefb
    ✭✭✭✭
    what? why?
    when?
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't say exactly "when" it will go live, my guess is around mid march when many of the changes hit. Keep in mind, I have no clue how they will handle this exactly, I'm questioning how it will be myself, hopefully a staff member could clarify it a bit for us.

As to why, I could only guess so that people buying mounts from the cash shop or even normally, don't have to wait 2 months of playing daily to max them.
    "Be kind and generous to the people of Tamriel. Protect the weak, heal the sick, and give to the needy." -Stendarr "Ten Commands of the Nine Divines"
  • prototypefb
    prototypefb
    ✭✭✭✭
    so you're saying characters will be eating apples and oats now? xD
    no more starving horses!
    Edited by prototypefb on January 21, 2015 8:24PM
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    hey I love apples and oatmeal... especially apples in my oatmeal, but yea I dunno. Any guess I have would just be uninformed speculation haha
    Edited by Elridge on February 5, 2015 4:42PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I posted about this in a thread I created a while ago. But it was buried by all of the raging F2P Threads.

Im concerned about the way they worded the whole thing. The way the Dev talked about it. Its sounds like the stats will be tied to you and not your mount. So regardless of what mount you hop on. Itll have the same stats as the one before.

This bothers me since I use different mounts for different tasks. My Imperial Horse is my mule for PvE and my Gaited Horse is my PvP Horse.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sorry Korah! I completely forgot to even check if there were any posts about it x.x my bad

that's what I am afraid of, each of my mounts have different stats, and each serve a different purpose... otherwise why would I pay so much for a mount just because it has the same stats but different appearance.

Personally I bought one of the horses (Draft Horse) not because the looks, but the stats were better on him for what I needed then the others. If what I was led to believe it true, now he will have the same stats as the others, and also not be visually appealing to me.
    Edited by Elridge on January 21, 2015 8:33PM
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm riding skill. They could have a riding bar where you could choose which riding skills you wish to use at a given time. So if you previously fed a mount both apples and oats so that a mount were level 50, that might unlock mount speed level IV and beast of burden level IV. You could choose which skills you felt like using on your various mounts.
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• prototypefb
    prototypefb
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, will be pain to lose bag space mounts for alts and mains, instant extra 50 bag space loss... many will be devastated...
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    I would love for them to release more info about this as well.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope we'll retain the ability to customize mount appearance, I like having armor on my horse =p
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    I just hope we'll retain the ability to customize mount appearance, I like having armor on my horse =p

They could just make mounts for specific tasks and add vanity slots to them. That we could give the mounts a lot of differant looks too.
  • Anath_Q
    Anath_Q
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, will be pain to lose bag space mounts for alts and mains, instant extra 50 bag space loss... many will be devastated...

On top of all the other news today, this I don't want to even think about. :(
    | GM Cheesemongers of Nirn |
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Kai Schrober, you will get the benefits of all your horses meaning ubber horses.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1490116#Comment_1490116
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    Anath_Q wrote: »

On top of all the other news today, this I don't want to even think about. :(

If it makes you feel any better, all we know is that it's changing, no sense getting too worked up about it until we actually know how they are changing it :P

for all we know it could be like they do with the champion system. Riding skill and just spend 50 points separately into each mount or some thing like that haha

Tyr wrote: »
    According to Kai Schrober, you will get the benefits of all your horses meaning ubber horses.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1490116#Comment_1490116

hmmm I can't read german... so I still hope a staff member comments in here explaining it. However that's ok, not ideal but decent. I kinda like having to actually plan it out and if you screw up you screw up and there's no reversing it, adds more weight into what I'm doing. I don't like it when games hold your hand so you can't make a mistake hahaha
    Edited by Elridge on January 21, 2015 9:01PM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    here is the french guy's post translated:
    Horses are accepted into the collection system . There you can ( whether in-game or in store) activate mount each purchased .
    The values ​​of the existing mounts are summarized on the character that owns them. If you have a horse with 50 speed and another with 50 supporting force now , your character after update 6 on all horses , he owns 50 speed AND 50 portages will have . A change from PvP Quest horse to horse then deleted .
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    here is the french guy's post translated:
    Horses are accepted into the collection system . There you can ( whether in-game or in store) activate mount each purchased .
    The values ​​of the existing mounts are summarized on the character that owns them. If you have a horse with 50 speed and another with 50 supporting force now , your character after update 6 on all horses , he owns 50 speed AND 50 portages will have . A change from PvP Quest horse to horse then deleted .

Sooo if you have 2 horses, one half into speed, and bag space, then the other half speed and stamina... your new riding skill would be half bag space, half stamina, and half speed... losing half speed because it wasn't "maxed out" but rather halved on 2 horses

unless it adds them together rather then just picks the horse you've fed the most into a specific skill
    Edited by Elridge on January 21, 2015 9:08PM
  • ZOS_MSchroeder
    ZOS_MSchroeder
    ✭✭✭✭
    We’re aware that many players are attached to their mounts, and that some players use different mounts for different tasks. Rest assured that you will not have to “lose” any mount statistics or visuals. Instead, when the system changes, we will look at all of your mounts, and apply the highest number of speed, stamina, and carrying capacity increases we find; these will become your riding skill. Further, your maximum for each will be as high as the highest achievable now. And of course, each kind of mount you currently own will be available for use via the Collections menu.

An example: Say you have two horses right now. The first, you’ve fed Apples (speed) ten times, and Oats (carrying capacity) twenty times. The second, you’ve fed Apples twenty times, and Hay ten times. When the new system arrives, your riding skill will have 20 speed increases, 20 carrying capacity increases, and 10 stamina increases. This will apply to you, regardless of whatever mount you choose to ride. You’ll also have plenty of room to grow in each category, as you can keep increasing each until you reach each stat’s maximum.

And a second example, for the player who has everything: Say you had a speed horse, a stamina horse, and a carrying horse, and you had improved their best stats to their utmost – the speed horse has eaten nothing but apples, the stamina horse nothing but hay, and the carrying horse nothing but oats. When the new system arrives, and you hop on your mount, you will be riding as fast as you would have on your speed horse, with as much stamina as you would’ve had on your stamina horse, and have as much additional inventory as you would’ve on your carrying horse. This is true regardless of the mount you choose – including the Palomino or Imperial horses.

In short, we feel this is a boon to players of all levels and riding experience. From now on, every horse you ride will be as good, if not better, than the horses you’ve rode until now – and you can choose your mount’s visuals without worrying that it might not be the ‘right’ mount for the job.
    Michael Schroeder
    Senior Systems Designer - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    @MSchroeder‌ Thank you very much for the clarification!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, time for me to max out three horses to have a head start when the change kicks in.

One last question, does it use only the stats I added or the includes the base horse?

If I have a horse with 20 speed and I feed is 49 apples will I have 69 speed skill or 49?

Trying to work out do I max 3 'base' horses (1 speed, 1 stamina 1 carry) or 3 specialized horses.
    Edited by Natjur on January 21, 2015 11:17PM
  • Vunter
    Vunter
    ✭✭✭

OP horses threads will come in 3... 2.. 1...
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... Oh man! Time for me to finally buy that black horse I always thought looked so cool and start feeding him for stamina!

Quick question: how will the horse appearances work? As in: if you fed your speed horse enough to give it the speed straps, your carrying horse enough to give it the saddle bags, and your stamina horse enough to give it the horse armour, will they all retain their separate appearances, or will whatever horse you ride have all 3 of those added to its appearance? It's only cosmetic, but I'm curious because I always wanted a horse with all 3 of them, but it was previously impossible to achieve.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    @Vunter I was thinking the same, but then again people will complain that they won't be as good with having 3 horses with mixed stats too instead of 3 maxed out in one particular stat

As far as I'm concerned, they answered my original post quick and thoroughly. +1 to Zenimax staff.

As far as the actual changes, people don't like change and no matter what they do, there's a group that will be unhappy about it lol

Edited by Elridge on January 21, 2015 11:24PM
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @MSchroeder: what about players who bought horses for multiple characters? Are the mounts and riding skills now account-wide?

For example, I have bought a total of 17 horses worth 42,700g each for a total of 725,900g (not counting upgrades). I have also helped both friends and random new players buy their own horses, which amounts to quite a lot of gold as well, I'd say 200-300k.

Does this change mean that I bought all those horses for nothing? Just the cosmetic advantage?
    Wololo.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    For example, I have bought a total of 17 horses worth 42,700g each for a total of 725,900g (not counting upgrades).
    :o
    You've bought 17 horses?!? Is there a secret "horse trader" achievement I didn't know about? Do you own a ranch?
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    For example, I have bought a total of 17 horses worth 42,700g each for a total of 725,900g (not counting upgrades).
    You've bought 17 horses?!? Is there a secret "horse trader" achievement I didn't know about? Do you own a ranch?

I have 7 active characters, all of them with both a light and a draft horse.
    I also had 3 mules (2 of which have been deleted) with draft horses.
    Wololo.
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So glad I use speed/stamina or speed/inventory hybrid horses on all my characters. lol

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner...
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

I have 7 active characters, all of them with both a light and a draft horse.
    I also had 3 mules (2 of which have been deleted) with draft horses.
    I've got 16 active characters, and 14 of them make do with their white Imperial horses...

They really should create a "horse trader" achievement for you!
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Jargo
    Jargo
    Soul Shriven

This has me a little confused, since the speed, stamina and carrying horse all have the +10 to their respective stat, will the amount I can train a horse be upped? Will buying these horses increase my stat permanently? Or will I have a 10 point speed bonus over other players as my legacy of feeding my Light Horse nothing but apples prior to B2P?
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    Jargo wrote: »

This has me a little confused, since the speed, stamina and carrying horse all have the +10 to their respective stat, will the amount I can train a horse be upped? Will buying these horses increase my stat permanently? Or will I have a 10 point speed bonus over other players as my legacy of feeding my Light Horse nothing but apples prior to B2P?

good question, I was curious about this myself. But wouldn't that only work if the next mounts had starting stats too? and if they had starting stats.. that got boosted by previous starting stats, mounts would be in a never ending state of always getting better from the previous mount. I'd say its safe to assume that the current starting stats have nothing to do with the points that will be transferred over, and it will stop at the basic 50

• Basks
    Basks
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Just wait for the Horse Armor DLC, like in Oblivion. I know I'm looking forward to it! /thumbsup (joking aside, I'm really looking forward to the new model)