The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do I tell ESO where my my addons/settings are?

Sidney
Sidney
✭✭✭✭
I moved all my files from S:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live to E:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live.

How do I tell the game where to look for my files?
>.<_____/
If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your AddOn files are in your user folder, *not* the main ESO application folder:

C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
    and
    C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\SavedVariables

:)
    Edited by SirAndy on August 2, 2014 1:45AM
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    I specifically linked where my files were and where they were moved to. I need to know how to get ESO to recognize this.
    >.<_____/
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if you like addons, using http://minion.mmoui.com/ helps keep them all upto date as well as finding new ones
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you guys even reading what I'm saying?
    >.<_____/
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sidney wrote: »
    Are you guys even reading what I'm saying?

Yes, the thng i posted would recognize all your addons no matter what client and allow you to mess around with them willy-nilly
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm asking for the game to know where my settings are, not minion.
    >.<_____/
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm asking for the game to know where my settings are, not minion.

Go into your user/documents/elderscrollsonline/live(eu)/addons

• Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dude, you're not even reading my post. My original post tells you exactly where my files were. It then goes on say where the files are located now.

The game itself recognized the original location, which, by the way is not the same for everyone because we don't all setup our file systems the same. I have changed my structure and I need the game to recognize the new location of my files.
    >.<_____/
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They want the game to know where the settings is located as they changed the drive they are located on. The game settings folder in documents folder was moved from the S drive to the E drive.
  • Siliconhobbit_ESO
    Siliconhobbit_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    When I installed Elder Scrolls Online, the installation automatically placed addons in this folder location:

C:\Users\COMPUTERNAMEHERE\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns

Where COMPUTERNAMEHERE would be the name of your own computer (I'm not putting the name of my own computer system here in public).

This is the default location that the installation of the game uses.

I understand that you have moved all those files to a new/different location, but I have no idea how to tell the game installation HOW to look in that new location. I'm not even sure if the configuration file can be changed to reflect the new location.

Have you tried using the default location in the Documents folder of the C Drive?
    Sinister Swarm
    15 Years of Gaming Excellence
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those files go into your my documents folder which is where you moved them from. If you want them on the other drive you MIGHT be able to change the default cation of your my documents folder - right click of the my docs folder and choose change default location (or something like that). Otherwise you can't move them - but I never checked out the registry settings.
  • Auric_ESO
    Auric_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have to comb through all the config files but offhand I don't remember ever seeing an option to state where your addons directory is. Good luck!
    "The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Siliconhobbit_ESO‌ I don't want them there, I want them where I moved them. They will currently only work in the directory I moved them from which is different than what you posted.

@Dominoid‌ Yea, I see no settings in launcher, in game, and couldn't find any in registry which leads me to believe it's hard coded to put it in a set of folders on whichever drive you install it on. I don't use normal drives like others yet it still put them in a similar yet different location.

@Auric_ESO‌ Never considered looking in the config files themselves, I'll do that while hunting the registry further.

Any greens know?
    >.<_____/
  • Korozenn
    Korozenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Sidney! :blush:

Just wanted to say: if you can't locate the configuration files to do so (I couldn't find them on my end either), and the moved Add-On files are still not being properly located, the next step I would try would be repairing the game files through the game's client (Start the Boot Client > Game Options > Repair). This should re-route the location the game locates the Add-On files to the new location you setup for them, but I would first advise backing up your existing Add-On files and Saved Variables before going about with the repair.

Hope that helps!
    Edited by Korozenn on August 4, 2014 4:03AM
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Korozenn Didn't work, but thanks. Was a long shot because it wouldn't even know where to look. I'll probably have to wait for an update for this to become an option because the registry isn't panning out either.
    >.<_____/
  • Uisi
    Uisi
    ✭✭✭
    I have try do do that from day 1 ... no succes. I guess you cannot change the location of addon files. :\
    If something is not broke ... fix it!
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlanG‌ Any chance we can have this feature added? :D:heart:
    >.<_____/
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlanG‌ Any chance we can have this feature added? :D:heart:

Seconded, I like to keep my documents folder trimmed down, so would like to be able to tell the game to look elsewhere for these files (and to save screenshots to a location of my choosing) - I can do this in most other games, please allow us to set a folder of our choice for these files.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry please ignore, I missed your reply to Dominoid

I specifically linked where my files were and where they were moved to.

So you used the Move Libraries in Windows to move the entire MyDocuments Folder? If the game is hardcoded to look in the MyDocuments library is there a chance that the "link" didn't take?

Edited by SpAEkus on August 7, 2014 1:23AM
  • haploeb14_ESO
    haploeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You could try one of these ways to move the folder or My Documents to another drive.

Redirect a folder to a new location
    Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

Or

NTFS junction point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try one of these ways to move the folder or My Documents to another drive.

Redirect a folder to a new location
    Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

Or

NTFS junction point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

Yeah it all sounds great - if the drive you moved it to fails, never mind recovering any documents, just try setting it up so that you even HAVE a library in a different location without a clean install of the OS, it's a bit of a nightmare. I experienced this earlier this year, and Windows basically stopped working even though my system drive was still good.

There's a good reason I keep my library and documents etc. folders on the default drive, but prefer to tell games to save stuff to another folder of my own choosing in the game's config file.
    Edited by Epona222 on August 7, 2014 2:31AM

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not asking how to move the files, I did this. I'm asking for the game to recognize a location I specify.
    >.<_____/
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not asking how to move the files, I did this. I'm asking for the game to recognize a location I specify.

I know, several of us would like this to be available, but it's currently not possible, and you're unlikely to get a response from Zenimax here - this forum is mostly users complaining (or having a go at one another) with no response.

If you have a comment, use \feedback in game to submit it.
    Edited by Epona222 on August 7, 2014 2:35AM

• Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    I know, several of us would like this to be available, but it's currently not possible, and you're unlikely to get a response from Zenimax here - this forum is mostly users complaining (or having a go at one another) with no response.

If you have a comment, use \feedback in game to submit it.

Yea, I'm mostly aiming that at the non stop amount of users who keep posting telling me how to move files when that's clearly not what I'm asking. I'm growing frustrated with them.
    >.<_____/
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, haploeb14_ESO posted a windows specific workaround to your "problem".
    If you can't make the game look in a different spot, change windows default variables (you did that once already, it seems) or create a junction. Maybe that works for you.

You could even start the game with a specific windows user account with different settings and folders. Every Windows User can have a different default Documents folder. Might be overkill though.

Btw...
    did you move just your Elder Scrolls files or did you "move" the whole document folder? If the latter: did you change the system variable to the new directory? ESO just looks for default docs .

Tell us a bit about your default directories, partitions and drive letters and how you planned to use them. Because I don't understand why you did what you did (space, portability, multiple users, just because?) ^^
  • Korozenn
    Korozenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Patros‌ It honestly doesn't matter why she did it, the fact of the matter is that it's not an issue with her moving the documents (she knows how to do that perfectly fine and has clearly done so in the past, as I'm sure many of us have), it's just a feature that The Elder Scrolls Online currently lacks that would be of great benefit to it in the future.

That said, the most likely cause to why she moved the files from the S:\ Drive to her E:\ Drive is for moving the game's files to a blank disc in order to minimize on storage used by your current PC or move said files without having to reinstall them to a different PC.

@ZOS_AlanG My thoughts on this feature being implemented is that you can have another section of the Options menu in the game's Boot Client available to pinpoint the exact location where you want your "Elder Scrolls Online\live" Documents folder stored.

For instance, I want my "Elder Scrolls Online" Documents folder to exist on my desktop, rather than the Documents folder of my PC as I prefer keeping that folder clean and devoid of anything since I don't use Libraries on my Windows platform for anything but temporary storage or a permanent archive of files I no longer use. I realize most games nowadays use this folder for storage purposes, but there are many games that also allow users to edit that location, so it'd be great to have that here as well. :smile:
  • AlyennahsCrafting
    AlyennahsCrafting
    ✭✭✭
    I think the answer is: you don't, the game does not allow for this. Put everything back and wait for an update to make this possible, or just do a complete reinstall of the game to another folder. Or take a job at Zenimax and implement this yourself. B)

I have a similar problem in that I would like to install the PTS version, but I can't install that on a separate drive, it has to be the same drive, you don't get the option to select that. So I could reinstall the entire game TWICE on a different drive, or just not do that. I chose the latter for now.
    Edited by AlyennahsCrafting on August 7, 2014 10:31AM
    When Alyennnah is not here, she's probably crafting. Quite possibly at Alyennah's Crafting in Wayrest. Or maybe she's out there, looking for new materials, recipes and styles to use in crafting. She wants to craft all the things.
  • robert.jernbergnrb19_ESO
    Open a command window (cmd) with administrator rights. (Right click and select run as Administrator)
    Type the following.
    mklink /d "S:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live" "E:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live"

This will make it look like the files are still located at S:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live even thou they are actually read from E:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live. Since the game seems to be hard coded to read your files from "My Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\" this seems to be the only solution.

This trick can also be used if you want to install the PTS client but don't have the space on the drive where you have the EU/NA client installed.
  • AlyennahsCrafting
    AlyennahsCrafting
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. mklink sounds interesting, but if I understand correctly from here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

it would still require me to put all files on a different drive?
    What I would like to do is keep my current install on my fast ssd, put the pts install on a different drive. I'm not sure that can be done even with mklink, unless I am missing something.

The OP would be able to use this however and at least I learned something today. ;)
    When Alyennnah is not here, she's probably crafting. Quite possibly at Alyennah's Crafting in Wayrest. Or maybe she's out there, looking for new materials, recipes and styles to use in crafting. She wants to craft all the things.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    Open a command window (cmd) with administrator rights. (Right click and select run as Administrator)
    Type the following.
    mklink /d "S:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live" "E:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live"

This will make it look like the files are still located at S:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live even thou they are actually read from E:\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live. Since the game seems to be hard coded to read your files from "My Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\" this seems to be the only solution.

This trick can also be used if you want to install the PTS client but don't have the space on the drive where you have the EU/NA client installed.

Awesome!! Thank you! :heart::heart: This will do perfectly :)

@Korozenn‌ Thanks for helping explain and sort things out, people don't like to read what I say ^_^

@Patros‌ No, nobody posted a solution until robert.jernbergnrb19_ESO showed up =p. I have had like 5 different people post different things because they aren't reading what I'm saying before they post.

Hopefully in the future ZOS will add this ^_^
    >.<_____/
This discussion has been closed.