The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

72 hour Suspension for language?

• Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    When the forum was on Bethesda's site, someone posted an all caps rant about freedom of speech and threatened lawsuits everywhere because the moderators were censoring his posts.

Apparently, someone who doesn't understand how free speech works :)

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taaltos wrote: »
    Pretty sure the MMO standard stance on swearing is, "There's a profanity filter and ignore feature...quit wasting our time."
    Maybe in the games you play, certainly not in quality games.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    Pretty sure the MMO standard stance on swearing is, "There's a profanity filter and ignore feature...quit wasting our time."

In every other MMO it doesn't matter the context in which you swore, if you swear or use a racial epithet or vulgar word and someone hates you enough to report you, you get banned.

Not EVE, objectively. Not true in my experiences playing DAoC either. Just saying, don't use "every" unless you mean "every".
    What do you gain by criticizing a CSR complaint?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no freedom of speech on the forums or in-game. Both are Zenimax's private property, and they can make whatever rules of conduct they wish to make.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    otomodachi wrote: »

In every other MMO it doesn't matter the context in which you swore, if you swear or use a racial epithet or vulgar word and someone hates you enough to report you, you get banned.

Not EVE, objectively. Not true in my experiences playing DAoC either. Just saying, don't use "every" unless you mean "every".

Anyhow, WTF do I care the OP is playing now so this thread should be closed or die a natural death. :)
  • Sinoby
    Sinoby
    ✭✭✭

The only MMO I've ever seen that had a lax positon on swearing has been Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2. Their position has been it's okay to swear like "!@#$ I died!" in frustration but not AT someone as ABUSIVE language, but if you swear AT someone then you get banned (I got banned for saying a pulp fiction quote over map chat, I appealed that it wasn't an attack on anyone I was just quoting a classic line from a movie because we were talking about that movie, they lifted the ban)
    Just out of curiosity - was it "English %^&*(#, do you speak it?"
  • Elunarie
    Elunarie
    Edit (Quoted):WOOT! I am so happy they are suspending guys like you. Thank you Zenimax! One day these kids will learn manners in group chat!

Please remember that the OP is stating they did not swear/use profanity. Though I agree that swearing/profanity is something I'd rather not hear/see in public.. whether games or real life, that doesn't mean this particular person did anything at all. On the internet alot of issues can become convoluted.

Mistakes from watchdog programs on the server, people sending false reports. Things happen. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.
    Edited by Elunarie on April 14, 2014 9:59PM
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    If there's any evidence to prove it wasn't malicious, even by having to spin a tangent they have no right to ban you ;)

Remember even calling someone an a-hole can be deemed as non malicious if that persons behaviour is perceived as rude and abrasive. You acting without premeditated thought through highly strung emotions when someone is eliciting negative reactions from you with intent of said reactions is their fault and they should be punished whether they swore or not.
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    Socratic wrote: »
    If there's any evidence to prove it wasn't malicious, even by having to spin a tangent they have no right to ban you ;)

The TOS are pretty broad, and I don't see a requirement of malice in them.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinoby wrote: »

The only MMO I've ever seen that had a lax positon on swearing has been Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2. Their position has been it's okay to swear like "!@#$ I died!" in frustration but not AT someone as ABUSIVE language, but if you swear AT someone then you get banned (I got banned for saying a pulp fiction quote over map chat, I appealed that it wasn't an attack on anyone I was just quoting a classic line from a movie because we were talking about that movie, they lifted the ban)
    Just out of curiosity - was it "English %^&*(#, do you speak it?"

That would be the quote
  • Lone_Wanderer
    I don't see what's wrong with using profanity so long as it isn't directed at someone, anyone can muster an insult without swearing that would be considered more offensive than a simple "*** you ***" for example.

So if op op was trashing people, even without the use profanity, he had it coming. In either case, dispute it.
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    Endolith wrote: »

So it's basically, don't swear in terms to swearing, and aren't subjective at all? If this is how the rules are constructed IRL in the US I'm glad I don't live there lol.
  • Elunarie
    Elunarie
    As I said in my post above, this person may not have done anything at all. Programming is not perfect. Sometimes a "watchdog" ..a program that automatically places a flag or ban on an account for something they say/do.. makes a mistake or is too rigid.

For example, words in the american language that we don't believe are swear words, are considered really bad words in other languages. And vice versa. In some european countries "Bloody" would be on the line of "effing" and so on, but in america it wouldn't be a "swear word". That's a pretty bad example but, there you go. A program might not realize that it banned someone for using a word that's perfectly fine for americans.

Always show some consideration for others, and remember that programming is only as perfect as the humans it comes from.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭

So it's basically, don't swear in terms to swearing, and aren't subjective at all? If this is how the rules are constructed IRL in the US I'm glad I don't live there lol.

Nah, if the terms were like a business contract the vagueness of the wording would eventually be rendered null in court. We're not that crazy. We even have specific laws about not having ducks on specific streets at specific times of day, but that's the kind of crazy you get from individual old towns with old laws.

But this isn't a business contract, it's a ToS that you digitally click. It's definitely got the rigueur to hold up, for what it is.
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭

The TOS is an agreement. Since that's what it says on its face, that is how it would be construed. If someone uses profanity, they're in violation of the TOS. That's a no-brainer, since the TOS is clear on it. I'm not saying they should punish people for it (profanity doesn't bother me), but if you're playing a game that says that in the TOS, then it's hard to have much sympathy for people who get punished for it.
    Edited by Endolith on April 14, 2014 10:11PM
  • Maxium
    Maxium
    ✭✭✭
    LOL that's awesome. And good to know. I love it when people in zone chat cuss me out for "not knowing anything about mmo's" or "over priced items". I've reported about a dozen of them. Good to know justice is being served. ;)
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭

The TOS is an agreement. Since that's what it says on its face, that is how it would be construed. If someone uses profanity, they're in violation of the TOS. That's a no-brainer, since the TOS is clear on it. I'm not saying they should punish people for it (profanity doesn't bother me), but if you're playing a game that says that in the TOS, then it's hard to have much sympathy for people who get punished for it.

It's NOT clear on it. Most profanity would fall under the "objectionable to a reasonable person" bit I guess if it fell in there at all. Most four letter words are neither sexually explicit (explicit means literally the thing, sexually explicit means literally describing parts of the act) or racially tied at all. Again, whatever, the OP got un-suspended.
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    Seems clear to me. In one section: "2.7 You may not disrupt the flow of chat in chat rooms, message forums or games with vulgar language..." Another section refers in general terms to vulgar language. I suppose you could argue what is vulgar, but I think we all know what they mean. There is nothing that requires language to be sexually explicit, racially tied, etc. In fact, since they reference those things in another section, it stands to reason that the prohibition on 'vulgar' language isn't required to included those things, because at least two provisions of the TOS would be redundant if interpreted your way.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Seems clear to me. In one section: "2.7 You may not disrupt the flow of chat in chat rooms, message forums or games with vulgar language..." Another section refers in general terms to vulgar language. I suppose you could argue what is vulgar, but I think we all know what they mean. There is nothing that requires language to be sexually explicit, racially tied, etc. In fact, since they reference those things in another section, it stands to reason that the prohibition on 'vulgar' language isn't required to included those things, because at least two provisions of the TOS would be redundant if interpreted your way.

Yeah but even vulgarity comes down to a matter of usage. It's not offensive, it's like... uncultured. Vulgarity comes from a lack of panache more than anything else. It's very easy to cuss in a refined way, like the famous line from Gone With the Wind.

EDIT: Good point, though, about the redundancy.
    Edited by otomodachi on April 14, 2014 10:22PM
  • ZOS_JasonI
    ZOS_JasonI
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings! We're going to close this thread, as it has veered off-topic from the original post, and it appears as though the issue has been resolved. Thank you all for your understanding!
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.