Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

72 hour Suspension for language?

Tweek
Tweek
✭✭✭
My in game account say it has been suspended for language...I have never swore at anyone...that I know of.

Help moderators....thinking about unsubbing now.
  • Hyperventilate
    Hyperventilate
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Um, isn't there an in-game profanity filter anyhow?
    What do you gain by criticizing a CSR complaint?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    otomodachi wrote: »

Yes, but that doesn't matter. A profanity filter isn't a license to swear, any more than someone wearing a bulletproof vest means it's ok to shoot them.
  • Taaltos
    Taaltos
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure the MMO standard stance on swearing is, "There's a profanity filter and ignore feature...quit wasting our time."

• otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Saerydoth wrote: »

Yes, but that doesn't matter. A profanity filter isn't a license to swear, any more than someone wearing a bulletproof vest means it's ok to shoot them.

Sense of proportion much? Having reflectors on my bike means I CAN assume a car is at fault when they drive into me.

@Tweek basically you're gonna have to open a ticket and wait a week to get this resolved, so I guess you're stuck with the 72 hour suspension.
  • george.smithb16_ESO
    WOOT! I am so happy they are suspending guys like you. Thank you Zenimax! One day these kids will learn manners in group chat!
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭
    Taaltos wrote: »
    Pretty sure the MMO standard stance on swearing is, "There's a profanity filter and ignore feature...quit wasting our time."

That's a great explanation if it's opposite day.
  • Phyrdrin
    Phyrdrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Despite ratings of mature content in games, parents still purchase said games for their children. Seeing as this is an MMO, this is especially true. For this reason, this sort of thing can happen, where a moderator suspends someone for abusing vocabulary. If you are innocent of said charge, then I am truly sorry for your misfortune. You may have been hit with a ban bot :( The best chance you have is to stay on their tail and make sure you speak to someone in person - ask them to escalate your ticket right away. Good luck.
    "Surprise me. Say something intelligent."
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    WOOT! I am so happy they are suspending guys like you. Thank you Zenimax! One day these kids will learn manners in group chat!

But....I never swore at anybody and I was really beginning to like this game too.....

Why are you being so mean to me?
    Edited by Tweek on April 14, 2014 9:32PM
  • ZOS_JasonI
    ZOS_JasonI
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, @Tweek. If you received a suspension, the best way to file an appeal is to do the following:
    • Open the Support page on the official ESO website and click on Email or contact Customer Support here.
    • Once the support e-mail opens, choose Account / Billing under "What kind of problem are you experiencing?"
    • Choose "I Would Like to appeal a suspension/ban." from the Select a Subcategory dropdown menu.
    • Describe the problem in the space provided.
    • Click Submit Question to send the appeal to Customer Support.
    Edited by ZOS_JasonI on April 14, 2014 9:31PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait,
    you received a 72 hour game suspension for swearing?
    Not just a mute?

That seems very strange to me.
    EDIT: I don't think we're getting the whole story here.
    Edited by Terminus on April 14, 2014 9:32PM
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Actually suspensions for "language" are not generally for swearing, most of the time they are for language that could be deemed as racist, hateful, and/or threatening. Such as using the "N" word. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone suspended for dropping an f-bomb or the like.

Though I will say that even for that kind of language, which was most of the time not actually meant to be racist, hateful and/or threatening, (most of the time it is just someone who has a very inappropriate sense of humor) should never be tolerated.

Now if it is for "cursing" then 72 hours is over the top for a suspension for foul language especially for a game that is rated "mature".

(edited to add last 2 paragraphs.)
    Edited by Jadeviper1974 on April 14, 2014 9:36PM
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Phyrdrin wrote: »
    Despite ratings of mature content in games, parents still purchase said games for their children. Seeing as this is an MMO, this is especially true. For this reason, this sort of thing can happen, where a moderator suspends someone for abusing vocabulary. If you are innocent of said charge, then I am truly sorry for your misfortune. You may have been hit with a ban bot :( The best chance you have is to stay on their tail and make sure you speak to someone in person - ask them to escalate your ticket right away. Good luck.

@Phyrdrin Awwww man, we almost always agree. :( Here's the Code of Conduct...

"2. BEHAVIOR
    2.1 You may not create an account name, persona or avatar that is in any way racially or ethnically defamatory, sexually graphic, hateful, and excretory in nature. You will not reference or claim affiliation to any hate groups. Any other names, text or chat that ZeniMax considers offensive is also in violation of the Agreement including the Code of Conduct.

2.2 You may not create any name, text or chat that negatively references a 'Protected Category' under Federal or Maryland State law. These include any name, text or chat which references or includes Age, Race, Disability, Sexual Orientation, National Origin, Pregnancy or Gender. You may not create an account name that is defamatory, impersonates or attempts to defame the reputation of another account holder, an employee of ZeniMax, property of ZeniMax, or ZeniMax and/or its affiliates.

2.3 Derogatory, defamatory or offensive content used in conjunction with names of famous or important historical, political, religious figures or website URL's are not allowed. You may at no time share or refer to personal information of Yourself or another person, account name, persona or avatar using ZeniMax or its affiliates. You will not create an account name that is in reference to or contains copyright names, popular characters, or the names of modern era serial killers, individuals or groups who have committed crimes against humanity in the past. You will also refrain from participating in conspiracy theories, misinformation or fallacious comments.

2.4 You will not attempt to mask, use misspellings, phonetic spellings, homonyms, word combinations, or alternative spellings of inappropriate material in any communication on ZeniMax Services. This includes but is not limited to text, chat, voice, in-game messaging or any other medium of communication or interaction between players.

2.5 You may not harass, threaten, embarrass, or cause distress to another customer or guest using ZeniMax sites and Services. This includes but is not limited to verbal attacks, unwanted messaging, personal attacks, stalking or any other undesired behavior used to cause discomfort or disrupt another customer's experience. At all times users will refrain from attacking Age, Race, Disability, Sexual Orientation, National Origin, Pregnancy, Gender or any other protected category under Federal or Maryland State law.

2.6 Users will not transmit or facilitate distribution of content that is harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or in a reasonable person's view, objectionable. Hate speech is not tolerated at any time.

2.7 You may not disrupt the flow of chat in chat rooms, message forums or games with vulgar language, abusive behavior, multiple key returns or posting large images in an attempt to disturb other users. Spamming, flooding [posting repetitive text], bumping and any other disruptive behavior will not be tolerated.

2.8 Improper use the in game support or complaint buttons or making false reports to ZeniMax staff members is forbidden. You may not intentionally submit misinformation or abuse the help system in any ZeniMax Service."

Like... this seems ill-advised. I will be the first to admit I don't usually read a ToS because I don't cuss much and prefer to kill people with passive-aggressive kindness. But according to this, you could get punished for almost anything because "or in a reasonable person's view, objectionable". That's... kinda vague. I find people talking about vaccination objectionable, because I know where I stand and am sick of the argument. Does that mean I could report people for that? I think my position is pretty reasonable.
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    So they have time and resources to waste on targeting peoples language yet allow the realm to be filled with bots. Great to see they have their priorities straight........
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    That kind of comment, about what a reasonable person deems objectionable, is just a catch-all for when they feel something is a violation but it isn't specifically called-out in the TOS. It's a CYA.
  • marderforhire
    marderforhire
    ✭✭
    Tweek wrote: »
    My in game account say it has been suspended for language...I have never swore at anyone...that I know of.

Same guy said he unsubbed like 2 days ago cause game was broke. Tweek is a troll please flag him.
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_JasonL wrote: »
    Hi there, @Tweek. If you received a suspension, the best way to file an appeal is to do the following:
    • Open the Support page on the official ESO website and click on Email or contact Customer Support here.
    • Once the support e-mail opens, choose Account / Billing under "What kind of problem are you experiencing?"
    • Choose "I Would Like to appeal a suspension/ban." from the Select a Subcategory dropdown menu.
    • Describe the problem in the space provided.
    • Click Submit Question to send the appeal to Customer Support.

kk doing it now
    Edited by Tweek on April 14, 2014 9:38PM
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Endolith wrote: »
    That kind of comment, about what a reasonable person deems objectionable, is just a catch-all for when they feel something is a violation but it isn't specifically called-out in the TOS. It's a CYA.

No, I hear you on that. I assumed about the same. Seems like an awful large amount of discretion to leave to the GMs, though. I'd be kinda angry if I lost time for cussing in a game with a profanity filter. :) *shrug* Again @Tweek just open a support ticket, maybe you'll at least get reimbursed for the 72 hours.
  • Socratic
    Socratic
    ✭✭✭
    Subjective to the "regulators" discretion can be a dangerous thing when that person regulating isn't objective enough, but such is life, a lot of people are subjected to stupid people with power, not saying that this is relative to the OP's situation as the OP might of deserved it for all I know.
    Edited by Socratic on April 14, 2014 9:42PM
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    No, I hear you on that. I assumed about the same. Seems like an awful large amount of discretion to leave to the GMs, though. I'd be kinda angry if I lost time for cussing in a game with a profanity filter. :) *shrug* Again @Tweek just open a support ticket, maybe you'll at least get reimbursed for the 72 hours.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy about it either.
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭

Same guy said he unsubbed like 2 days ago cause game was broke. Tweek is a troll please flag him.

I am not a troll sir, and I'm truly sorry you feel that way. I never said I was unsubbing before...I said I would if they didn't fix the bank glitch.....this makes me a troll?

I flagged your post for review because I feel as though you are threatening me.
  • Phyrdrin
    Phyrdrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's... kinda vague. I find people talking about vaccination objectionable, because I know where I stand and am sick of the argument. Does that mean I could report people for that? I think my position is pretty reasonable.

Awwww man, you always make me smile :) In regards to this last part - I totally agree. I may find it objectionable when someone starts talking trash about European players and people from that region. Being somewhat of a foreigner myself, I could take serious offense. But, I am mature enough to either put that person on ignore or just turn off chat period.
    -
    Why are you being so mean to me?

@Tweek - I hate to break this to you, but you are on the Internet, where trolls and mean-spirited pixies abound. My personal advice to dealing with people like this is to just ignore what they post and don't bother answering them. It keeps threads constructive and most importantly "open". Best of luck once again.
    "Surprise me. Say something intelligent."
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    Phyrdrin wrote: »

@Tweek - I hate to break this to you, but you are on the Internet, where trolls and mean-spirited pixies abound. My personal advice to dealing with people like this is to just ignore what they post and don't bother answering them. It keeps threads constructive and most importantly "open". Best of luck once again.

Thank you for the solid advice =)
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    OOPS.....it's fixed!!!!!

WOOT!!!!

YESSS!!!!!!

Mustn't been some sort of weird connection error or something on my end.

Thought i was gone cause of chat logs....guess not =)
    Edited by Tweek on April 14, 2014 9:45PM
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    OOPS.....it's fixed!!!!!

WOOT!!!!

YESSS!!!!!!

Cool! Have fun in Tamriel, hero! :)
  • Tweek
    Tweek
    ✭✭✭
    OOPS.....it's fixed!!!!!

WOOT!!!!

YESSS!!!!!!

Cool! Have fun in Tamriel, hero! :)

YAY!

Will do!!
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭

LOL, I seriously read Endolith's post as Vacation, not vaccination. I was like; "Wow, who can argue about vacations?" LMAO. Make so much more sense now.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Socratic wrote: »
    So they have time and resources to waste on targeting peoples language yet allow the realm to be filled with bots. Great to see they have their priorities straight........

When the forum was on Bethesda's site, someone posted an all caps rant about freedom of speech and threatened lawsuits everywhere because the moderators were censoring his posts.

Except they weren't. Beth's forums have an autocensor. Typing s t f u will magically change to "Please continue, my good sir." No human intervention required. Most of the autocensor stuff is the plain boring [censored], but that one was left over from the creative autocensor list, with spotted owls, spotted owl habitats, and noble seamstresses.

I think they are trying to clear up the gold sellers and bots. Notice the gold sellers keep changing how they are trying to get to people [www to w-w-w to w w w to finding a way to make their name fall off the chat screen so they are harder to report to finding a way to use the recruit to a guild function]. Unfortunately, if they are trying to keep up with an automated system, they are falling behind and banning people who shouldn't be banned, like the guildmasters who are trying to contact their members or friends gifting gold to each other.
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Terminus wrote: »
    Wait,
    you received a 72 hour game suspension for swearing?
    Not just a mute?

That seems very strange to me.
    EDIT: I don't think we're getting the whole story here.

Yea, I would bet that it was more like some inappropriate comment that could have been seen as "offensive" according to the TOS that was probably meant as an off color joke. I would hate to think you could get a 72 hr suspension for just dropping an f-bomb once.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taaltos wrote: »

The only MMO I've ever seen that had a lax positon on swearing has been Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2. Their position has been it's okay to swear like "!@#$ I died!" in frustration but not AT someone as ABUSIVE language, but if you swear AT someone then you get banned (I got banned for saying a pulp fiction quote over map chat, I appealed that it wasn't an attack on anyone I was just quoting a classic line from a movie because we were talking about that movie, they lifted the ban)

In every other MMO it doesn't matter the context in which you swore, if you swear or use a racial epithet or vulgar word and someone hates you enough to report you, you get banned. The power is in the community's hands really, they don't uniformly enforce the rules, it takes a person reporting you, which leads to a lot of abuse. People reporting for language are rarely actually offended by the language, they're just looking for any excuse to get you banned. Playground mentality of running to the teachers to punish someone for saying a bad word just to get them in trouble is the norm in MMO's. If 2 people get in an argument and BOTH are swearing, whoever reports first gets the other banned it doesn't matter who broke the rules first, WHOEVER REPORTS FIRST wins.

A lot of MMO CSR work is outsourced, the people they outsource to don't even speak English as a primary language and don't REALLY care about anything, just giving canned responses and getting paychecks. Banning people for swearing or name violations is easy resolved tickets for them.

Not sure about here, but that is the norm for most MMO's.
This discussion has been closed.