The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How much raw materials do you let stack up before refining?

• DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use to just let stuff stack up for months if not years. I got tired of trying to do like 1000 surveys at one time. So now every Saturday I do surveys then refine then do master writs
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refine when I need something or an endeavor occurs.

I generally am running low on Tempers so I refine Ore more frequently than the others but, I only refine on one character because I don't have the space in my inventory on the others to handle it.

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refine when I need the mats. Which I haven't needed for a while. So I'm sitting at over 100K raw rubedite, for example.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to wonder if this is why one of the endeavours is to refine materials.

The system as a whole was put in place to comply with Microsoft's loot box policy, but I suspect the individual endeavours were designed to try to prompt players to try other areas of the game and to do things that often get forgotten about.

I had assumed the refine materials ones were just to get you to a crafting station, but now I'm wondering if someone involved with designing endeavours happened to notice many players have thousands of unrefined materials stacking up and maybe thought they were just getting forgotten, so they wanted to include a prompt to refine them every so often.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have an addon that automatically refines everything the time I open a crafting table. So I dont bother with that at all.

At least for the odds how much gold stuff you get it doesnt matter if you refine big or low amounts of mats (there are some old forum posts proving this). Even if people believe it would matter, but some people believe also in wearing lucky pants and other stuff...
    Can you link to these posts, please? I'd like to know what the best approach is for getting the best results from refining.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had ESO+ I would refine at 10k
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the craft bag so I refine at around 1000~ or so, out of necessity, but when I had the bag I'd let it go over and refine whenever I got low on gold mats.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only refine for endevor dailies. I have so much refined mats stashed that I'll never use.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    I have an addon that automatically refines everything the time I open a crafting table. So I dont bother with that at all.

At least for the odds how much gold stuff you get it doesnt matter if you refine big or low amounts of mats (there are some old forum posts proving this). Even if people believe it would matter, but some people believe also in wearing lucky pants and other stuff...
    Can you link to these posts, please? I'd like to know what the best approach is for getting the best results from refining.

3/3 in extraction passives for each crafting line. Meticulous Disassembly Green star slotted. The End.

Data in the spreadsheet linked in my signature.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wait for ESO+ Free Trial events, so all the refined stuff/tempers/etc goes into the craft bag.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even think about it, I just check if anything needs refining when I use a crafting table.
  • SleepyJoe90
    I refine when I remember to or when I run out of a particular material, but even then I only refine the minimum possible on each click as I assume that there's an RNG on materials run on each refine click.
    It can get a bit repetitive if I've left it a long time.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the highest I've hit is 5k. I only refine when I'm running out of mats or there's an endeavor for it.
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally whenever I remember to do it. If I had to guess maybe once every other week.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Too much.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refine when I remember to or when I run out of a particular material, but even then I only refine the minimum possible on each click as I assume that there's an RNG on materials run on each refine click.
    It can get a bit repetitive if I've left it a long time.

There is not. Save your time. Refine all at once.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only refine on my crafter (with all the passives and the CP of course), usually while doing writs. With the craftbag, I don’t see any reason to purposely refine regularly (just habit for me and I’d feel like I’d left something undone) as versus collecting a large stack, except to save for endeavors, if you don’t wish to additionally collect more materials that day (which is what I usually do, I’m never completely caught up on my surveys).
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 24, 2023 2:09PM
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I refine when an according endeavor is up. And before working through my pile of master writs during double-XP events.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically refine in 10k batches. I am not running out of crafting materials anytime soon, so it just seems most efficient.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beginning of each month. I hold onto everything I collect each month. Than I refine everything on the 1st.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wait and let it pile up? I can't see any advantage to doing it that way.
    PCNA
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why wait and let it pile up? I can't see any advantage to doing it that way.

I can flip the question around, why shouldn't I let the raw material accumulate, assuming that I have on hand sufficient amounts of both refined material and any trait/upgrade materials that I need.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i refine whenever i visit a crafting table to decon, if i have enough raw mat to do so lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014