Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

How do we disable the "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing?

NeKryXe
NeKryXe
✭✭✭✭✭
I have so much trouble with it. It's one of the most hateful things in this game. There's probably a way to disable it but I'm not finding.

I can't even understand why this horrible thing exists. It had been preventing me to complete quests, in a few dungeons I don't even have time to pick the quest and I lose a lot of chests because of it. Most of the time I just quit the group when this happens, but I'd prefer to just disable it and enable only when I need.

Why don't they just add portals and let us decide instead of constantly destroy the gameplay forcing players to go move when they can't or don't want to?

I'm really tired of this thing ruining my game.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on November 29, 2022 2:36AM
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *fixed typo on title*
    Edited by NeKryXe on November 28, 2022 4:28AM
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This thing" isn't ruining your game, your party does. Going with randoms and expecting them to wait for your quest, even if you asked for it, is quite naive. You do tell your groupmates that you need quests, right?

There's a bunch of crap design decisions on ZOS side, that causes such situations, but for now, if you want to do a dungeon in a specific way, find a premade group or go solo.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I usually tell people "doing the quest". That usually helps.

Sometimes this is a good thing since it is far too easy now to get stuck "in combat" behind some doors. That is even MORE frustrating!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    "This thing" isn't ruining your game, your party does. Going with randoms and expecting them to wait for your quest, even if you asked for it, is quite naive. You do tell your groupmates that you need quests, right?

There's a bunch of crap design decisions on ZOS side, that causes such situations, but for now, if you want to do a dungeon in a specific way, find a premade group or go solo.

I don't blame the group, they are doing their stuff, I can understand. The problem is "this thing", it's an extremely bad game design. They promote this game giving the idea that you can chose your way doing the quests and there's this. This should be an option. Forcing this is unspeakably bad.

I already do a lot alone in this game and this kind of bad decisions that create problem in groups, don't add nothing to the will of playing in group.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually tell people "doing the quest". That usually helps.

Sometimes this is a good thing since it is far too easy now to get stuck "in combat" behind some doors. That is even MORE frustrating!

I always do that, but as we all know, it rarely helps.

Forcing players to do what they don't want to, is not a solution to "unstuck" us from bugs.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »

I don't blame the group, they are doing their stuff, I can understand. The problem is "this thing", it's an extremely bad game design. They promote this game giving the idea that you can chose your way doing the quests and there's this. This should be an option. Forcing this is unspeakably bad.

I already do a lot alone in this game and this kind of bad decisions that create problem in groups, don't add nothing to the will of playing in group.

I'll take joining in progress to being left behind and missing a boss encounter for some reason and having to redo the dungeon for the pledge. Or, being unable to enter into a door, and missing the boss encounter, over just being teleported into the room. Especially helpful in long DLC dungeons that don't have proper portals to fights, and a new player joins the group, you can pull them to you rather than waiting 10 minutes for them to run through the dungeon.

All boss encounters in dungeons need joining in progress added. All of them.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't there, you'd be kicked out mid-quest, because while you were busy listening to NPC your group would "do their stuff", kill the final boss and disband.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't blame the group, they are doing their stuff, I can understand. The problem is "this thing", it's an extremely bad game design. .

I disagree, the joining in progress is an excellent feature that I think needs to be retroactively patched into older dungeons and trials.
  • Call_of_Red_Mountain
    Call_of_Red_Mountain
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't blame the group, they are doing their stuff, I can understand. The problem is "this thing", it's an extremely bad game design. .

I disagree, the joining in progress is an excellent feature that I think needs to be retroactively patched into older dungeons and trials.

Absolutely agree. Sometimes this feature saving trial teams from disband. This door before last boss in vKA for example. One guy pulling boss and everyone who can't rez teleporting to him. You can say... don't skip add pools. But it is what it is. Players farming gear without killing every add in trials. Same with most dungeons. If u need a quest just type in group chat or form your own group and finish it slowly.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Before it was added, it was very possible that you would get locked out of the boss room and/or miss the boss. That, I found much more frustrating than missing a quest part. Besides, now quests can skip ahead as well. If you’re reading all the dialogue slowly, you shouldn’t use the dungeon finder to do the quest.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this feature. Great for replacements and anyone who accidentally wayshrined.

If you want to do quests, dungeon finder pugs aren't the best option. Form your own group of questers and go in, so you can take your time. You shouldn't expect 3 random strangers to do what you want.
  • ankerous
    ankerous
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if a boss is skippable as they can sometimes be in dungeons and two different people start a fight with two different bosses? Which boss takes priority for joining the encounter in progress?
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think they should disable it, but I think they should tell other group members that people are being pulled in, even if it's an extra combat alert, that way they at least know.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a checkbox that either includes or excludes groups in progress.

However, looking at the big picture of what is said in the OP, it is best to run with a guild group or group of friends when wanting to do a quest or do the dungeon with specific interests in mind.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most of you are not understanding.

I'm not against "Joining Encounter In Progress" as an option. -- just put an yes or no on it.

I'm completely against it as an unwanted forced feature that ruins the game for many players.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    There is a checkbox that either includes or excludes groups in progress.

However, looking at the big picture of what is said in the OP, it is best to run with a guild group or group of friends when wanting to do a quest or do the dungeon with specific interests in mind.

All my friends quit the games years ago and I play mostly at lat hours.

So, I'm not complaining about random players. I have no problem with random players that don't care about my game, I have problems with a forced feature that shouldn't exist.

Anyway... can we disable it in any way or make it at least optional as it should be? With an addon tweak or something?
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

All boss encounters in dungeons need joining in progress added. All of them.
    No they don't.

Some boss fights, like the mini bosses right before Valkyn Skoria can be done much quicker if the group splits in two, the same with City of Ash bosses in the first area, not to mention some bosses are entirely optional so can be missed. This feature of joining a boss fight is long awaited and I'm happy it's here at last, as it chivvies along the slow poke group members so they don't miss out on the boss fights.
    Edited by Ishtarknows on November 29, 2022 11:28AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be be annoying not just for questers, but also if you are trying to look for chests when farming gear/leads. For instance, I was farming gear from FH and told the group before the third boss that I'd be looking for chests and not to pull further ahead, because there are a couple of rooms where chests can spawn there, but if you pull the boss you can't get back up to those rooms, and you have to run from the beginning of the dungeon. There was indeed a chest and before I could open it, someone pulled the boss and I had to join the encounter... I think part of why ZOS did this was to help with people stuck outside doors/certain areas, and it's also great for pulling someone in a trial if they disconnected and have to run from the wayshrine when they get back on, so it does have good uses, but also sucks when you are trying to get an objective, or a chest, or lagging behind for any reason.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    It can be be annoying not just for questers, but also if you are trying to look for chests when farming gear/leads. For instance, I was farming gear from FH and told the group before the third boss that I'd be looking for chests and not to pull further ahead, because there are a couple of rooms where chests can spawn there, but if you pull the boss you can't get back up to those rooms, and you have to run from the beginning of the dungeon.

You don’t have to run all the way from the beginning. It would’ve been too late for that chest but you can jump off some rocks in the final outside area to get back up there.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    It can be be annoying not just for questers, but also if you are trying to look for chests when farming gear/leads. For instance, I was farming gear from FH and told the group before the third boss that I'd be looking for chests and not to pull further ahead, because there are a couple of rooms where chests can spawn there, but if you pull the boss you can't get back up to those rooms, and you have to run from the beginning of the dungeon.

You don’t have to run all the way from the beginning. It would’ve been too late for that chest but you can jump off some rocks in the final outside area to get back up there.

Yes, I forgot about that--the area outside the final boss has some fences you can drop down from and takes you I think before the 2nd boss.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind it so much if it took at least two members engaging to pull the rest of the party to them, but having just one yahoo doing a speed run dragging the rest us along is a pain.

Three people want to kill the trash, deal with the mini-bosses, and not skip most of the loot, but all it takes is one to proc "joining encounter".
    PS5/NA
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my experience, every time I say "Hey mates, I'm doing the quest, can you please wait for me?" people do just that. Communication and politeness goes a long way :)
    EU PC
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    In my experience, every time I say "Hey mates, I'm doing the quest, can you please wait for me?" people do just that. Communication and politeness goes a long way :)

First at all it's too long. In my experience when you end up writing it people is already fighting and you'll be unable to pick the quest. I usually write fast "quest" but it rarely works.

But it's not only that problem. I also like to open chests and try to get the loot. Very frequently while I'm opening a chest, the pathetic "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing appears.

It should be optional. If you love being forced into things instead of playing seamlessly... great for you, just activate the thing. But I hate it. I find it stupid, abusive, and completely the inverse everything it's advertised about this game. It's an absolutely hateful feature. I'd like to disable it forever.

The correct way should be with an optional "yes or no" choice when the message "Joining Encounter In Progress" appears.

The "Joining Encounter In Progress" is a bad, bad, bad, very, very bad thing. One of the worst changes they made in the game.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joining encounter in progress good thing is that you dont get stuck behind a door, unable to participate in killing of the boss and which also can make you miss loot and quest progress

when i do runs through the queue, i usually call out heavy sack and chest when i see them, dont rush ahead, and wait a few sec at the start to make sure anyone who needs quest can grab it

but i know thats not always a courtesy most players extend in randoms, which is why i dont do them very often
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is generally a good feature. Getting locked out of boss fight is much worse than getting pulled into one.

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    I think this is generally a good feature. Getting locked out of boss fight is much worse than getting pulled into one.

That doesn't make any sense. So now we can't play the way we want because they can't fix bugs. What about asking if we want to join or what about reload ui or leave instance and return? Everything is better than forcing players into something they don't want or need to. What about "play the way you want to play"? I think that most players defending the hateful "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing aren't probably old Elder Scrolls players. This horrible "Joining Encounter In Progress" is against everything Elder Scrolls once was. I wouldn't ever be playing this game if I knew it would become this forced into fights system.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That doesn't make any sense. So now we can't play the way we want because they can't fix bugs. What about asking if we want to join or what about reload ui or leave instance and return? Everything is better than forcing players into something they don't want or need to. What about "play the way you want to play"? I think that most players defending the hateful "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing aren't probably old Elder Scrolls players. This horrible "Joining Encounter In Progress" is against everything Elder Scrolls once was. I wouldn't ever be playing this game if I knew it would become this forced into fights system.

It's dungeon. The whole point is to fight things. I still contend this should be added to every dungeon boss fight in the game.

If you want to take your time, find a like minded group, or do it solo.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's dungeon. The whole point is to fight things. I still contend this should be added to every dungeon boss fight in the game.

I would agree if they remove all quests and chests from dungeons. While there's quests and chests, the whole point isn't only to fight things. That's the main mistake that creates all group problems in dungeons.
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree if they remove all quests and chests from dungeons. While there's quests and chests, the whole point isn't only to fight things. That's the main mistake that creates all group problems in dungeons.

Aren't dungeon quests basically "get to the bosses and kill them"? If you miss out on helping kill the boss, how do you complete the quest?