How do we disable the "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing?

• MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    Giraffon wrote: »
    I think this is generally a good feature. Getting locked out of boss fight is much worse than getting pulled into one.

That doesn't make any sense. So now we can't play the way we want because they can't fix bugs. What about asking if we want to join or what about reload ui or leave instance and return? Everything is better than forcing players into something they don't want or need to. What about "play the way you want to play"? I think that most players defending the hateful "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing aren't probably old Elder Scrolls players. This horrible "Joining Encounter In Progress" is against everything Elder Scrolls once was. I wouldn't ever be playing this game if I knew it would become this forced into fights system.

It's dungeon. The whole point is to fight things. I still contend this should be added to every dungeon boss fight in the game.

If you want to take your time, find a like minded group, or do it solo.

ANd to loot! If I'm farming a set I want to loot every damn thing and I can't! I hate joining encounter!
    PS5/NA
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is generally a good feature. Getting locked out of boss fight is much worse than getting pulled into one.

That doesn't make any sense. So now we can't play the way we want because they can't fix bugs. What about asking if we want to join or what about reload ui or leave instance and return? Everything is better than forcing players into something they don't want or need to. What about "play the way you want to play"? I think that most players defending the hateful "Joining Encounter In Progress" thing aren't probably old Elder Scrolls players. This horrible "Joining Encounter In Progress" is against everything Elder Scrolls once was. I wouldn't ever be playing this game if I knew it would become this forced into fights system.

If you enter a group dungeon, the idea is that you work as a group. Many vet players will see chests and point them out to the rest of the group so you should be getting some nice loot from those. Any other looting should be done on the go as you move with the group. I believe a few DLC dungeons have unique drops in the loot tables and those would be the ones you especially might want to focus on forming a group to raid at a slower pace.

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you enter a group dungeon, the idea is that you work as a group. Many vet players will see chests and point them out to the rest of the group so you should be getting some nice loot from those. Any other looting should be done on the go as you move with the group. I believe a few DLC dungeons have unique drops in the loot tables and those would be the ones you especially might want to focus on forming a group to raid at a slower pace.

You are very wrong about working as a group. Most DLC dungeons quests are very badly designed for group play. Usually the NPCs takes ages chatting before you can pick the quest. Most of the time the group starts running to the first fight and you can't even pick the quest. So, there's also that problem. It's insane the amount of DLC dungeons I had to quit and retry so could find a group that allowed me to pick the quest. On my better dds I always play dungeons alone, but on my tanks and healers I can't do that, so I'm stuck to this problems.

Anyway, I never blame the players. They are doing their stuff and having fun the way they like. The problem is the bad gaming design. We shouldn't have quests on dungeons or dumb "Joining Encounter In Progress" forcing us to move when we don't want to, it should be optional.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are very wrong about working as a group. Most DLC dungeons quests are very badly designed for group play. Usually the NPCs takes ages chatting before you can pick the quest. Most of the time the group starts running to the first fight and you can't even pick the quest. So, there's also that problem. It's insane the amount of DLC dungeons I had to quit and retry so could find a group that allowed me to pick the quest. On my better dds I always play dungeons alone, but on my tanks and healers I can't do that, so I'm stuck to this problems.

Anyway, I never blame the players. They are doing their stuff and having fun the way they like. The problem is the bad gaming design. We shouldn't have quests on dungeons or dumb "Joining Encounter In Progress" forcing us to move when we don't want to, it should be optional.

It is optional. Form your own group with like minded players.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Joining Encounter in Progress" darn near cost me the lead in Falkreath Hold. If I'd failed to bash the chest it would have. All so speed-runners aren't inconvenienced in the slightest. Sigh.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah it is kind of annoying how you see the quest marker and then the npcs start talking and you cant get the quest until after that, but at least its better than non-dlc dungeons where you have to interact or talk to NPCs during the dungeon

vaults of madness is one of the bad ones about this, where you have to stop and talk to an NPC after every "major" boss (3x in total) before the end of the dungeon, you also cant even get this quest until you have killed the first mob in the dungeon (and this is a BASE game dungeon), and its not the only base game dungeon with this problem either
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Joining in Progress is one of the best things they have put in the game. To many times people would start a boss behind a closed door in a Pledge group and you wouldn't get through but be in combat then not get credit for a pledge boss (back when you had to do more than just the last one).

If you are wanting to go through and do the quest and hit every urn, box, crate, nightstand etc then find a group of friends to run them with. Queuing for a dungeon that is say a pledge or even a random then expecting the other people to stand around and wait is rude.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joining in Progress is one of the best things they have put in the game. To many times people would start a boss behind a closed door in a Pledge group and you wouldn't get through but be in combat then not get credit for a pledge boss (back when you had to do more than just the last one).

If you are wanting to go through and do the quest and hit every urn, box, crate, nightstand etc then find a group of friends to run them with. Queuing for a dungeon that is say a pledge or even a random then expecting the other people to stand around and wait is rude.

I can't understand this constant lame excuse for this horrendous feature. First at all no one should be stuck on doors, it's a bug, it should be fixed, not solved with a pathetic feature to cheat players. Then, even if this horrible thing is the only way to solve problems at doors that shouldn't exist, at least they could give the player an option to accept or reject being ported. Also, before this dumb thing, there were portals. If they don't know anymore how to program bosses without doors (sometimes even invisible doors) they could just place portals outside and players could decide if they want to enter already or if they are still doing something else. 99% of the times I got forced into a fight I was doing something else I needed, like opening a chest or trying to start an hidden boss. The door excuse is as absurd as the feature itself. It's a bad a lazy design, that's all. If a player is stuck he could just leave the instance and return or just use the /stuck command.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not all dungeons have doors, and some which dont physically block off the way to get to the boss once the encounter starts

if it was a simple door, the easiest solution is just allow using the door while in combat (outlaw refuges already allow this), but there are a bunch of fights that put up some kind of barrier to essentially prevent leaving the boss arena (which also effectively prevents entering the boss arena too) and i dont think they thought of an idea of 1 way door to get in but not out lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

TES games are single player games and ESO is an MMO with other players so the joining in progress comparison makes no sense. When you run group content it’s about the group not about you so you have two options available 1 tell the group you’re doing the quest which almost always results in them waiting for you to speak with NPCs or 2 form your own group of like minded explorers and move at your own pace.

One thing that isn’t warranted is removing an excellent player first feature like joining in Progress.
    Edited by Ragnarok0130 on January 24, 2023 2:30PM
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of removing or making the option to auto-join encounter--developers should just add a solo/co-op version of dungeons so us slowpokes (who stop to smell the corpses) can do quest and dungeon at our own pace.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually got the "Joining Encounter in Progress" message while soloing a group dungeon, no idea why! I was in the middle of a boss fight. It might have been network lag, I'm not sure. During the fight, the ground beneath me vanished, leaving only a sky-like expanse, and it looked like I was "falling" out of the map, then the "Joining..." message appeared, then everything went back to normal.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have so much trouble with it. It's one of the most hateful things in this game. There's probably a way to disable it but I'm not finding.

I can't even understand why this horrible thing exists. It had been preventing me to complete quests, in a few dungeons I don't even have time to pick the quest and I lose a lot of chests because of it. Most of the time I just quit the group when this happens, but I'd prefer to just disable it and enable only when I need.

Why don't they just add portals and let us decide instead of constantly destroy the gameplay forcing players to go move when they can't or don't want to?

I'm really tired of this thing ruining my game.

You cannot turn it off. Find a group of like-minded players who want to progress slowly and listen to all the quest dialog, otherwise this feature is necessary to pull people who might be at the beginning of a dungeon due to a DC or who are moving very slowly in a PUG random group. I also love getting pulled when I am too far behind for one reason or another, like having to resurrect a few times.
    Edited by Kappachi on February 16, 2023 2:54AM