The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Positive feedback on the new DLC dungeons

Olen_Mikko
Olen_Mikko
✭✭✭✭✭
I really have to admit it - the two new dungeons are actually really really fun and finally, very challenging (for a casual like me) even on normal veteran mode.

Mechanic heavy = yes. Micromanaging stuff = yes. Doable = definitely, once you wipe like couple of dozen times.

Earlier DLC dungeons weren't a big challenge on normal veteran (HM's are crazy!) but these definitely are. I didn't feel like damage nerfs were to blame. They genuinely felt more punishing, for not paying attention. Although as a melee stamblade, i occasionally have to reconsider my life choices :smiley:

Anyway, i sincerely want to thank you ZOS, for making a challenge that keeps me motivated again.

Your thoughts on these new dungeons?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 22, 2022 11:46PM
NB enthusiastic:
  1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
  2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
  3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
  4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • EldritchSun
    EldritchSun
    ✭✭✭
    Hm. They lower overall damage and release a couple the most difficult dungeons the same time?
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. They lower overall damage and release a couple the most difficult dungeons the same time?

Probably there's some sort of correlation why they were harder, but i'd like to think that it wasn't the reason we wiped so many times. Even the trash mobs one-shotted others than tank, and missing any mechanics got everyone killed.

I don't think that fighting minute or two longer is the challenge or game-breaker
    NB enthusiastic:

Go dominion or go home

• CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are not close to the most difficult dungeons they have released and certainly do not require very high DPS to comfortably clear the HM's.
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the new dungeons are great fun, the last boss in Graven Deep on HM is brilliant.

Big fan of both the dungeon packs this year, Ascending Tide and Lost Depths have had some great dungeons. I think the 3x HM fights allow for more thought-provoking bosses throughout the dungeons.
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    I agree the new dungeons are great fun, the last boss in Graven Deep on HM is brilliant.

Big fan of both the dungeon packs this year, Ascending Tide and Lost Depths have had some great dungeons. I think the 3x HM fights allow for more thought-provoking bosses throughout the dungeons.

That Graven Deep will be my cryptonite for now. It was great fun, even on normal veteran. Couldn't imagine on doing ti HM :D
    NB enthusiastic:

Go dominion or go home

• sbr32
    sbr32
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I logged on the PTS and spent 1 evening with my old dungeon group and thought the dungeons were well done and fun. Unfortunately I couldn't really appreciate them because I was running a Templar and couldn't stop laughing at the new animations (swapped between Jabs for AoE and Flurry for single target) and being frustrated at how bad combat felt.

It's too bad though. While the content team is continuing to hit it out of the park on every release, I have never had less desire to log into a game before in my ~40 years of gaming.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »
    I really have to admit it - the two new dungeons are actually really really fun and finally, very challenging (for a casual like me) even on normal veteran mode.

Mechanic heavy = yes. Micromanaging stuff = yes. Doable = definitely, once you wipe like couple of dozen times.

Earlier DLC dungeons weren't a big challenge on normal veteran (HM's are crazy!) but these definitely are. I didn't feel like damage nerfs were to blame. They genuinely felt more punishing, for not paying attention. Although as a melee stamblade, i occasionally have to reconsider my life choices :smiley:

Anyway, i sincerely want to thank you ZOS, for making a challenge that keeps me motivated again.

May I ask how you made Graven Deep dungeon on normal, Zelvraak’s Realm phase? Health running out super fast and ghosts don't heal but we tried it only in two ppl so maybe it is mechanic for four.
    Really sorry for my english
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say I really like the dungeons as well. I agree with @CyberOnEso that they're nowhere nearly the hardest dungeons they've ever released, especially at the time of release. I don't necessarily agree with people saying they're easier than The Cauldron, etc., which I remember at the time a number of people called the hard modes "an absolute joke" in terms of difficulty.

I think they offer just the right level of difficulty. How difficult something is will obviously be subjective, but I believe both dungeons' hard modes are accessible to people who are willing to push themselves, while normal and regular veteran are obviously the entry level and a good way to learn mechanics, of which most mechanics are repeated between regular veteran and hard mode with different cooldowns.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are they possible to solo on normal with companion? lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try the old dungeons now. They are not fun
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »

May I ask how you made Graven Deep dungeon on normal, Zelvraak’s Realm phase? Health running out super fast and ghosts don't heal but we tried it only in two ppl so maybe it is mechanic for four.

I didn't do it on normal. Veteran phase was fine(ish) and ghosts did heal + give speed buff
    NB enthusiastic:

Go dominion or go home

• davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »

I didn't do it on normal. Veteran phase was fine(ish) and ghosts did heal + give speed buff

Thank you, we run with wife to check the dungeon first on normal, to see what where is and on normal ghost didnt healed us and our HPs run out about 2-4s. We alwayes died on that phase :D But we missed first secret boss. But i saw somewhere that it can be a bug.
    Really sorry for my english
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I did non hm runs of each last night, graven deep was a blind run for all of us, one had been through earthen heart on normal.
    Was fun, although the access to one of the graven deep secret bosses is where it shows that eso is not an ideal platformer game. We spent a while working out the last boss mechanics, still not sure what the yellow-green outline on your screen means.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Was fun, although the access to one of the graven deep secret bosses is where it shows that eso is not an ideal platformer game. We spent a while working out the last boss mechanics, still not sure what the yellow-green outline on your screen means.
    I believe you're referring to Soul Rip unless it's something else addon-specific doing it (don't know if you're on PC or not). Mechanic in spoiler:
    You need to find your "soul" running around somewhere (usually the opposite side of the room). On normal, this does such little damage that it can usually be ignored. On veteran and hard mode, it will kill you.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You could deduce that I'm also on PC since console doesn't have these yet :smiley:.
    It definitely was different from soul rip, as you note, that will kill you if you don't respond correctly, and mostly we ignored the yellow frame, which also didn't come with the other messages from soul rip. I only got soul rip once or twice but healer and the other dps got it more. The yellow vignette could certainly be from an addon, or maybe it was from someone else getting soul rip?
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about Graven Deep but as far as Earthen Root goes, I don’t think so. I tried soloing it back on pts and the 2nd boss one-shot me repeatedly. Maybe if your companion can taunt quickly enough.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Not sure about Graven Deep but as far as Earthen Root goes, I don’t think so. I tried soloing it back on pts and the 2nd boss one-shot me repeatedly. Maybe if your companion can taunt quickly enough.

i was able to answer this last night and the answer is yes (i played on my main as a moderately high dmg tank with a dps companion)

earthen root enclave, i did all side and main bosses with ember as a ranged dps, however she was dead constantly on the first 2 side bosses and first 2 main bosses (the last side boss and last main boss didnt have as much aoe or stupid for the companion to stand in), i also did not encounter any real mechanics in this dungeon that were difficult to progress past or do solo

graven deep was a different story, going through this one the 3 side bosses i did not encounter any issues with (they were all incredibly easy actually, very few mechanics except to get to them), the first boss in this one wasnt really hard but very annoying due to jumping around a lot, the 2nd boss the skeleton colossus, was a bit more difficult (for 2 different reasons and ill get to those in a moment), and the last boss had some mechanics to figure out that were very punishing, but still doable solo (at least on a tank)

so for the skeletal colossus, while fighting it, it does have a mechanic that grabs you and is impossible to break out of, but if you have something like leeching plate you can destroy the thing holding you (although i still died a few times to this), this can be avoided you just have to keep moving around the room, the other problem with this boss is that it grows larger if you let it empower (up to a maximum, but its maximum is huge which also makes its hitbox very messed up and is hard to target it with melee and range abilities)

for the last boss in graven deep, the one mechanic kind of threw me off a bit where you couldnt heal until you touched the ghost guy, the other thing that would kill me was the sea orb that exploded, sometimes it would 1 shot me sometimes it would just hurt a lot, i didnt have any problems with the "shadow realm" phase, i just ignored all the little ghost floaties and ran around collecting the ghosts and they were healing me fine

i have not had a chance to run them in a group yet, or on vet
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ran the new dungeons tonight overall experience NEVER again pointless mechanics very repetative and actually boring considering some of the DLC dungeons we have had in the past, total waste of time
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still not sure what the yellow-green outline on your screen means.

The yellow border on your screen?

That's an addon telling you that you have an effect that you might want to have purged off.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ty for the explanation.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could deduce that I'm also on PC since console doesn't have these yet :smiley:
    Whoops, yes. This is true. :smiley:
    It definitely was different from soul rip, as you note, that will kill you if you don't respond correctly, and mostly we ignored the yellow frame, which also didn't come with the other messages from soul rip. I only got soul rip once or twice but healer and the other dps got it more. The yellow vignette could certainly be from an addon, or maybe it was from someone else getting soul rip?
    As Code said, it's assuredly Code's own Combat Alerts for the purgeable Cripple effect (not all effects can be purged, but that can be). The last boss has the ability to cast a number of effects base on what classes you have in your group.
    ID: 172678    Siphon Soul (Initial cast)
    ID: 172794    Inferno (Dragonknight ➔ Inferno)
    ID: 172820    Lightning (Sorcerer ➔ Small-ish (2m) lightning AoEs)
    ID: 172821    Blast Bones (Necromancer ➔ Blast Bones)
    ID: 172822    Winter (Warden ➔ Have not seen the effect personally, might be like Winter's Revenge or Sleet Storm?)
    ID: 172823    Nova (Templar ➔ Nova)
    ID: 172824    Cripple (Nightblade ➔ Cripple)

It's really nice for replayability, in my opinion, just to see what effects each one can do, and you might like to devise a group composition which makes it easier or more diffcult to suit your wants.

Edited by Troodon80 on August 23, 2022 10:11PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting, I don't think I can recall seeing a boss mechanic that is group composition specific since the facsimiles in HOF.
    Our group was 2 DKs, 1 NB, and one necro.
    Edited by kringled_1 on August 23, 2022 10:58PM
  • kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    I like the design of the new dungeon especially the last 3rd of Graven Deep which reminder of Bioshock
    Edited by kwinter on August 28, 2022 10:42PM
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New dungeon show us tutorial gimmick before boss fighting.
    So, game flow become little bit nicer than previous DLC dungeon.

Earthen Root Enclave new dungeon has really big scale map.
    I'm satisfied with those contents volume. There're much of exploring
    location.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The secret boss has more grouping focused aspect. Not only combat theme, but also has
    more grouping activity aspect. That's big improvement from previous contents.
    (Still need more UI design improvement though...)
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kwinter wrote: »
    I like the design of the new dungeon especially the last 3rd of Graven Deep which reminder of Bioshock

i keep thinking this too lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master