The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think Console Enhanced version will equal pc in quality?

Ohnooze
Ohnooze
✭✭✭
Just curious what you guys think.

Obviously it's capped at 60fps but still how well do you think it will compare?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on April 4, 2021 5:23PM
  • Ohnooze
    Ohnooze
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I might have gotten some conversation on this topic.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict it will be better than low end pc's and worse than high end pc's. I'm not sure that particular topic is up for much debate really.
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These threads always cause strife because PCs as a group will always be superior to consoles for gaming. Some console players take this personally and some PC players like to grind it in. Consoles have a place in gaming. They are good cheap alternatives for someone that doesn't care about max performance, max graphics, etc. Some of these people that care about these things that play on consoles can't play on PC, usually because of cost. So the conversations tends to be a sore point for them.

On the flip side, some PC players like to grind in how superior PC is to consoles for gaming, but that superiority does come with a good sized price tag. Especially when console players complain about poor performance when PC players do not have the same issues because their systems are better designed to handle the resource loads of an MMO.

The new consoles are better designed to handle the requirements of MMOs as that has become a popular genre on consoles in the last 5 years. So the next gens should be able to keep up with PCs a little better and for a little longer. I am not for sure, but i also think i read the next gens are more upgradeable than the older consoles increasing their lifespan for playing MMOs.

But usually threads on this topic turn into a flame and bait thread by page 2.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The platform you play on is the best platform for you to play on.

Anyway, i hope the graphics are better on the enhanced console version, because compared to PC they do leave something to be desired.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ohnooze
    Ohnooze
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The platform you play on is the best platform for you to play on.

Anyway, i hope the graphics are better on the enhanced console version, because compared to PC they do leave something to be desired.

Yeah that's an understatement. After playing both I really hope the ps5 version is drastically improved because right now it's day and night difference.
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to end up like it always does. The new console can keep up with a new low end gaming PC for a bit. Then they fall behind as the console ages and it rinses and repeats for the next console.

That's just how it is. If you play on console you are sacrificing performance for convenience. However a high end gaming rig comes with a much higher buy-in price, but is capable of far more things outside of gaming. You also have the option to upgrade each part of a PC one at a time. Console is also far more limiting on things like mods because they have to be approved by both the dev and the platform.

Console is never going to touch the performance of a medium to high end gaming PC without a drastic increase in price. They are two completely different design philosophies. We'll leave Mac out of this because they are absolute trash tier for gaming. They aren't designed to do it.

My suggestion is if you want the performance of a PC and the convenience of a console is to buy a PC and treat it like a console. You can link up you Xbox or PS controller to it. You can hook up an HDMI to your TV like a console. You'll need a mouse to get things going but after that you can operate it like a console
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Now could it come close?
    New consoles are still low end gaming spec - not high!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict it will be better than low end pc's and worse than high end pc's. I'm not sure that particular topic is up for much debate really.
    Yes the PS 5 and new Xbox is good systems. Consoles also has an benefit as they work directly on the chips with on pc we have to go trough drivers and cpu and gpu on the same chip gives benefits who negate some of the horsepower an serious graphic card gives in this setting.

Still its an danger ZoS will prioritize having new overland zones look nice even if it you still get performance issues in trials and large pvp fights. Now the baffling thing here is that you could have both if graphic was kind of adaptive even on instance as in lower settings in trials and Cyrodil, dynamic would be better :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Now could it come close?

The old consoles were low end pc (maybe worse)... the new ones are mid-high end pc... at the moment, with graphics card prices being what they are they are a better value than ever.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the new console version will be approximately a mid to mid-high end in comparison to modern PC. My reason for saying that is they said on the reveal that 4k enhanced will be locked to 30fps while the 60fps option will be lower quality. So definitely toned down either way depending on what you want. Consoles can't have their jubilee cake and eat it too yet like higher-end PC users can (4k 60, 144, etc). If you haven't experienced ESO with higher fidelity/frame rate yet, you're in for a treat. Either way, it's still way better than previous gen consoles and will get a good taste of ESO with higher performance.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shimm wrote: »
    Now could it come close?

The old consoles were low end pc (maybe worse)... the new ones are mid-high end pc... at the moment, with graphics card prices being what they are they are a better value than ever.

New consoles are not equivalent to high end PCs. They float on the line of a new low end and medium of last gen parts but they must certainly don't touch high end. People thought they might compete with medium end PCs when announced but then the 3000 series Nvidias and 5000 series ryzens came out and dusted them again
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eedat wrote: »
    Now could it come close?

New consoles are not equivalent to high end PCs. They float on the line of a new low end and medium of last gen parts but they must certainly don't touch high end. People thought they might compete with medium end PCs when announced but then the 3000 series Nvidias and 5000 series ryzens came out and dusted them again

The Series X GPU is equivalent to a RTX 2080 TI. The 2080 TI is not new low end / medium (whatever that means).

Series X and especially the PS5 won’t rival the 3000s, but a) they don’t need to and b) they never aimed to do that.

The 2080 costs as much as the whole console, a 3000s costs twice or three times the amount. And it’s not like ESO even takes 1/2 of the power you get from those brand new GPUs on PC.

Sure, XSX and PS5 won’t rival a new gaming PC build in 2021 or 2022 that costs twice as much as the console, but they’re capable enough for the next years to deliver excellent results.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consoles and PCs are essentially fundamentally different now.

PC experiences are for the most part highly optimized and played on displays with high FPS, refresh rates, and low latency. The trade off is that those displays are limited in size and thus a PC gaming experience is more intimate and personalized.

Consoles are cinematic and designed for the Everyman. You can buy a game, install it, and it runs. No fighting over whether your console has the specs. Because of the universality console games are home theater experiences, to be played on small or big screens without compromise on the part of the consume.

PC will always be superior for the tailored individual experience but console will come out on top for easy group experiences. Despite all the differences console will always have the advantage of just picking up, grouping, and always being in voice chat while playing a game with a stabilized frame rate.
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Now could it come close?

The Series X GPU is equivalent to a RTX 2080 TI. The 2080 TI is not new low end / medium (whatever that means).

Series X and especially the PS5 won’t rival the 3000s, but a) they don’t need to and b) they never aimed to do that.

The 2080 costs as much as the whole console, a 3000s costs twice or three times the amount. And it’s not like ESO even takes 1/2 of the power you get from those brand new GPUs on PC.

Sure, XSX and PS5 won’t rival a new gaming PC build in 2021 or 2022 that costs twice as much as the console, but they’re capable enough for the next years to deliver excellent results.

I mean you are agreeing with me. You are using last gen hardware as a benchmark for the new consoles which is literally what I said. In reality a 3070 outperforms consoles and that is mid tier current gen. Building a PC from scratch is horrible right now but you can easily get your hands on a 3070 in a pre-built. A lot of prebuilts aren't that much more expensive now than the parts now anyway.
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Graphic is not bad but stiff animations are...
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to "superiority", for some players it's not so much about the difference in performance between PC and consoles, but rather the issue of addons. That said, I play on PC and don't use addons at all, but for those that live by them the console version is a non-starter regardless of how the new generation hardware performs.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rockin at 144 fps. Once you're used to high fps you cant go back. I cant imagine playing even at 60 fps and I'm surprised console players dont get eyestrain at 30 fps.
  • Ohnooze
    Ohnooze
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering if you think the update will bring the console version close to pc in quality at 60fps. This is not a one verses the other conversation really. I know how this works with console and pc as I'm older and have seen many gaming generations come and go. And I have been building computers long enough to get an idea of where pc stands in the gaming world.
    The new consoles are absolutely capable of maxing out eso at 1440p \ 60. The big question is will they optimize it the way they should. It really doesn't take a super pc to mac out eso and there is no reason the PS5 can't as well.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One word: addons
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure the “enhanced version” is just going to be a slightly more playable version of the current console version. Instead of an “unusually long load time” we will get a “slightly longer than usual load time”.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    giphy.gif
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    The specs for the newer consoles are better than the specs for my current pc but it would cost me more than the price of a console to upgrade them to make them about equal. No sour grapes here though. There are still things I can do on a pc that most consoles won’t do or do well, like run a posix style desktop. Even so I game with my pc on a 1080p tv and that’s good for me. I have a 4K tv but setting my resolution to 4K is problematic for my desktop experience while sitting on a couch. I have what suits me. If it were possible to play on the pc server with the new consoles I might buy one and really there’s no reason I shouldn’t be allowed given the new machines specs but in the end it’s all about contracts and not specs. The new consoles should provide a great experience for eso for a few years at least. Truly.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean you are agreeing with me. You are using last gen hardware as a benchmark for the new consoles which is literally what I said. In reality a 3070 outperforms consoles and that is mid tier current gen.

How is a 3070 "mid tier"? It's official retail price (HA!) is $500. That's an expensive, high end card.

(I just built a new "low end" PC earlier this year. Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB 3200 ram, 1TB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD; and I carried over the RX570 8GB GPU that I bought new in 2019 for $175.)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on April 4, 2021 11:39PM
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohnooze wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if you think the update will bring the console version close to pc in quality at 60fps. This is not a one verses the other conversation really. I know how this works with console and pc as I'm older and have seen many gaming generations come and go. And I have been building computers long enough to get an idea of where pc stands in the gaming world.
    The new consoles are absolutely capable of maxing out eso at 1440p \ 60. The big question is will they optimize it the way they should. It really doesn't take a super pc to mac out eso and there is no reason the PS5 can't as well.

According to the Friday Zone Developer Deep Dive the consoles will have two modes, similar to what you have today.

One mode is locked at 30FPS but true 4K, the console standard, with all graphic effects in play. The game will look fantastic but be capped so as not to hurt performance. I can see this possibly going up to 60FPS with a future update but it establishes a baseline so as to how the game should at a minimum look and feel.

The second mode sacrifices a bit of graphic to jump the frame rate to a more fluid 60FPS. This will be locked to a UHD resolution of just 2160p. This covers basically the majority of the gamut in terms of what the consumer base can handle.

Very few consumers out there are playing on a 65” 4K Dolby Digital TV capable of outputting at 60FPS or even 120FPS. Because of that it’s easier to set the baseline and open up with these lower than high-end PC specs but still a sizable upgrade from the current.
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    When will people realize consoles are only a weaker pc version...
    Will a weaker version ever equal a superior one?............. nope
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean you are agreeing with me. You are using last gen hardware as a benchmark for the new consoles which is literally what I said. In reality a 3070 outperforms consoles and that is mid tier current gen.

How is a 3070 "mid tier"? It's official retail price (HA!) is $500. That's an expensive, high end card.

(I just built a new "low end" PC earlier this year. Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB 3200 ram, 1TB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD; and I carried over the RX570 8GB GPU that I bought new in 2019 for $175.)

Yes, the 3070 is mid tier of the current tech between the 3060 and the 3080. Then theres the 3090 which is way out there into diminishing returns. Buying a 4 year old low tier GPU like an RX570 would fall into budget tier. Kinda depends on what you're going for tbh. ESO is an old game so you dont need much for 1080p but playing on higher resolutions with good FPS in intense situations is going to require a little more oomph.

However with the current GPU shortage, even a RX570 is going for close to $300. The best option outside of getting lucky with a restock is to just get a prebuilt right now. Wait times for a 3070 rig is just a couple weeks most places and the prices actually arent too insane if you look around.

My laptop has a 2070S and a 10th gen i7 and it gets around 100-120 FPS on maxed settings on 1080p. Mind you laptops components are roughly 30% weaker than their PC counterparts and then there's the issue with thermals. My PC is complete overkill for ESO so we won't get into that
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silaf wrote: »

That’s not exactly true. Consoles are dedicated gaming devices and perform their job admirably for a compromised cost. I mean you can have both a Bugatti Veyron and a Toyota Altima. Both will get you down the highway though we know the Bugatti will do so amazingly well and cost you a small fortune for a limited use. Meanwhile the Toyota will do so slower but have more versatility in usage while not breaking the bank.

It’s arguable that the console is superior. Esp when you consider that console sales ultimately determine the overall success of multi platform games and not PC sales.
  • Eedat
    Eedat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s not exactly true. Consoles are dedicated gaming devices and perform their job admirably for a compromised cost. I mean you can have both a Bugatti Veyron and a Toyota Altima. Both will get you down the highway though we know the Bugatti will do so amazingly well and cost you a small fortune for a limited use. Meanwhile the Toyota will do so slower but have more versatility in usage while not breaking the bank.

It’s arguable that the console is superior. Esp when you consider that console sales ultimately determine the overall success of multi platform games and not PC sales.

But when the question is specifically about performance, then performance matters. Which is the question of this thread. PCs are more expensive but have better performance. Consoles are cheaper but a good bang for the buck. PCs also perform far more functions than a console though and have vastly more freedom both in gaming and in general.
  • Ohnooze
    Ohnooze
    ✭✭✭

In some cases this is true but it doesn't take super pc to max out eso. I'm running a 5700xt and 3600 cpu at 1440p and getting between 60 and 100fps with everything maxed out.

There is absolutely no reason the ps5 couldn't do the same or better and use checkerboard for 4k.

It just comes down to optimization but the new consoles are more than capable to equal a decent pc in graphics at 60fps.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will perform better than new $500 PCs. Worse than new $1000+ gaming rigs.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”