The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Do you think Console Enhanced version will equal pc in quality?

• cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never played ESO on PC so I can't really compare. I do expect it to be much better visually than what it currently is on PS5. Performance wise, there's been good reviews. A lot of people say it runs much smoother on PS5 vs PS4. Only time will tell what kind of improvements we'll see though.
    Options
  • Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, if we have a Megaserver to play on.
    Options
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    No shade intended for console users, as I am genuinely happy that they can enjoy ESO on the platforms they prefer... but... I just don't see how ESO is worth playing without addons, personally.

As a primarily PVPer, the lack of add-ons is one of the reasons why I prefer console. I like knowing that the players I am fighting are all on a relatively even playing field from a software/hardware/peripheral perspective.

Yeah, that is the one really big benefit I can definitely understand. I don't use much of any addons that affect PvP, so I sometimes forget how big the gap between the haves and the have-nots can be in that area of the game. PvPers with comprehensive addon loadouts have a decisively unfair advantage over others who don't, and that simply not being an issue on console is a really good point.

+1 Insightful from me, friend! I sometimes forget the obvious, and appreciate the reminders. Thanks @MurderMostFoul! : )
    Options
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    Eedat wrote: »
    It's going to end up like it always does. The new console can keep up with a new low end gaming PC for a bit. Then they fall behind as the console ages and it rinses and repeats for the next console.

That's just how it is. If you play on console you are sacrificing performance for convenience. However a high end gaming rig comes with a much higher buy-in price, but is capable of far more things outside of gaming. You also have the option to upgrade each part of a PC one at a time. Console is also far more limiting on things like mods because they have to be approved by both the dev and the platform.

Console is never going to touch the performance of a medium to high end gaming PC without a drastic increase in price. They are two completely different design philosophies. We'll leave Mac out of this because they are absolute trash tier for gaming. They aren't designed to do it.

My suggestion is if you want the performance of a PC and the convenience of a console is to buy a PC and treat it like a console. You can link up you Xbox or PS controller to it. You can hook up an HDMI to your TV like a console. You'll need a mouse to get things going but after that you can operate it like a console

Lol, you write all that as if the discussion is centered around a brand new game with bleeding edge graphics. ESO is now seven years old and on PC I can max out all the settings and get 60fps @1440 and 30fps@4k with a 4gb RX570, a pretty low end GPU half as powerful as what's inside the new consoles.
    So I'm expecting the enhanced console versions to be very close to what ESO looks like maxed out on PC.

The original base game is 7 years old. The newer content and DLC is based upon technology and coding that is decidedly newer, is more efficient in certain areas, and at the same time can tax the game heavily in others. I'm sure a PVE experience like Frostvault or Vateshran wasn't possible without significant compromises on launch or at all.

That said it's much easier for PC to update their rigs for future than console. Once a console is out, every game going forward has to be able to be played without issue. That's why ESO and basically every other game was locked to 30FPS. You can't suddenly release a version of a game that says users of an older model of the game machine can't play. That's the trade off you make for getting a console versus PC. You get long term stability on consoles while PCs let you do as you please but the onus is on you when things go awry.

New areas look better because they have more detailed textures in the models for objects but when you're in those areas the game is still running on the same graphics engine and lighting system that was in place when Imperial City was the newest expansion. When I say 60fps@1440 and 30fps@4K I got those numbers while running around Vivic City and Summerset Isle, both of which have the upgraded textures compared to the base game.

Yes the newer content has upgraded textures. But while the base game engine is the same significant modifications have been made on top of it to optimize poor performance in areas and yet can tax in other areas. Dragonhold used a lot of new textures and assets and I’m sure it ran ok on PC. On PS4 it caused so many problems that blue screens were commonplace and Sony stopped ZOS from offering pre-orders for Greymoor due to the poor performance.

The consoles play a delicate balance with graphics and still actually can’t handle it all. Detailed player and npc models don’t load in with all details until you’re close and staring at them for a few second. Player mounts don’t load in at all. Unless you are looking at your own Mount or in a home all player mounts are low resolution.

These are all compromises made while still trying to run at just 30FPS. The new console upgrades look to remove those limitations while running at a steady 60FPS. That’s a huge jump in quality without having to have incredible and potentially costly internal PC parts.

Now you want to discuss performance issues the last gen consoles have, but the discussion is about next/current gen consoles. The difference between the two gens is immense, just look at Cyberpunk 2077, it ran so bad on PS4 Sony took it off the store, yet people playing the PS4 version on the PS5 hardware report that it runs perfectly fine for them.
    Options
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to end up like it always does. The new console can keep up with a new low end gaming PC for a bit. Then they fall behind as the console ages and it rinses and repeats for the next console.

That's just how it is. If you play on console you are sacrificing performance for convenience. However a high end gaming rig comes with a much higher buy-in price, but is capable of far more things outside of gaming. You also have the option to upgrade each part of a PC one at a time. Console is also far more limiting on things like mods because they have to be approved by both the dev and the platform.

Console is never going to touch the performance of a medium to high end gaming PC without a drastic increase in price. They are two completely different design philosophies. We'll leave Mac out of this because they are absolute trash tier for gaming. They aren't designed to do it.

My suggestion is if you want the performance of a PC and the convenience of a console is to buy a PC and treat it like a console. You can link up you Xbox or PS controller to it. You can hook up an HDMI to your TV like a console. You'll need a mouse to get things going but after that you can operate it like a console

Lol, you write all that as if the discussion is centered around a brand new game with bleeding edge graphics. ESO is now seven years old and on PC I can max out all the settings and get 60fps @1440 and 30fps@4k with a 4gb RX570, a pretty low end GPU half as powerful as what's inside the new consoles.
    So I'm expecting the enhanced console versions to be very close to what ESO looks like maxed out on PC.

The original base game is 7 years old. The newer content and DLC is based upon technology and coding that is decidedly newer, is more efficient in certain areas, and at the same time can tax the game heavily in others. I'm sure a PVE experience like Frostvault or Vateshran wasn't possible without significant compromises on launch or at all.

That said it's much easier for PC to update their rigs for future than console. Once a console is out, every game going forward has to be able to be played without issue. That's why ESO and basically every other game was locked to 30FPS. You can't suddenly release a version of a game that says users of an older model of the game machine can't play. That's the trade off you make for getting a console versus PC. You get long term stability on consoles while PCs let you do as you please but the onus is on you when things go awry.

New areas look better because they have more detailed textures in the models for objects but when you're in those areas the game is still running on the same graphics engine and lighting system that was in place when Imperial City was the newest expansion. When I say 60fps@1440 and 30fps@4K I got those numbers while running around Vivic City and Summerset Isle, both of which have the upgraded textures compared to the base game.

Yes the newer content has upgraded textures. But while the base game engine is the same significant modifications have been made on top of it to optimize poor performance in areas and yet can tax in other areas. Dragonhold used a lot of new textures and assets and I’m sure it ran ok on PC. On PS4 it caused so many problems that blue screens were commonplace and Sony stopped ZOS from offering pre-orders for Greymoor due to the poor performance.

The consoles play a delicate balance with graphics and still actually can’t handle it all. Detailed player and npc models don’t load in with all details until you’re close and staring at them for a few second. Player mounts don’t load in at all. Unless you are looking at your own Mount or in a home all player mounts are low resolution.

These are all compromises made while still trying to run at just 30FPS. The new console upgrades look to remove those limitations while running at a steady 60FPS. That’s a huge jump in quality without having to have incredible and potentially costly internal PC parts.

Now you want to discuss performance issues the last gen consoles have, but the discussion is about next/current gen consoles. The difference between the two gens is immense, just look at Cyberpunk 2077, it ran so bad on PS4 Sony took it off the store, yet people playing the PS4 version on the PS5 hardware report that it runs perfectly fine for them.

It’s important to note the issues last generation has because both XBOX and PLAYSTATION will share the same servers between them. An experience on one must be balanced so as not to disadvantage those playing on a lower spec system. 30FPS is a must. All games should achieve that as a stable frame rate. Anything above on ESO is icing on the cake.

The next generation versions are likely more than capable of playing PC maxed out quality but they will be forever handicapped as long as the servers still cater to PS4/XBOX ONE.

Furthermore ESO is not a 7 year old game. So many changes have been made that despite the bones of the original operating system a lot on top is new and recent.

A 7 year old game would be a title like Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto 5. Taking the single player experiences of those and seeing how they perform on the next gen consoles can give you a better answer to your question. And in fact we know that the developers will be giving us such versions to enjoy in the near future (Ratchet and Clank has already been upgraded to 60FPS).
    Options
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s important to note the issues last generation has because both XBOX and PLAYSTATION will share the same servers between them. An experience on one must be balanced so as not to disadvantage those playing on a lower spec system. 30FPS is a must. All games should achieve that as a stable frame rate. Anything above on ESO is icing on the cake.

The next generation versions are likely more than capable of playing PC maxed out quality but they will be forever handicapped as long as the servers still cater to PS4/XBOX ONE.

Furthermore ESO is not a 7 year old game. So many changes have been made that despite the bones of the original operating system a lot on top is new and recent.

A 7 year old game would be a title like Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto 5. Taking the single player experiences of those and seeing how they perform on the next gen consoles can give you a better answer to your question. And in fact we know that the developers will be giving us such versions to enjoy in the near future (Ratchet and Clank has already been upgraded to 60FPS).

Dude the underlying code that runs most of the the game is actually older than 7 years since it was written well before the game came out and ZOS tinkering with things since has turned it into spaghetti, not modernized it.
    Options
  • kmcaj
    kmcaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If latest patch has taught us anything it will be that PS5 performance will be top notch.
    Options
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    stefj68 wrote: »
    not sure PlayStation will get updated with microsoft running the show

Xbox Series X and PS5 both get the Console Enhanced version of the game.

theres no reason they shouldn't as they are bth essentially running oses that are radically similar in many regards.
    Options