Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Banned for reporting undelivered crowns to Paypal.

• Holmarion19
    Holmarion19
    ✭✭✭
    Chinspun wrote: »
    Update: It appears that I have now been given an alternative means to make a payment covering the chargeback.

Very good it looks like this is getting sorted Chinspun. Sorry you have had to go through this.

Now we can hopefully return to marvelling at your magnificent homes.
  • TjPhysicist
    TjPhysicist
    ✭✭
    Update: It appears that I have now been given an alternative means to make a payment covering the chargeback.

awesome. oh man, I suggested that right off the bat, still no response for me yet, oh well hopefully soon
    Edited by TjPhysicist on October 16, 2020 1:33PM
  • Chinspun
    Chinspun
    ✭✭✭

awesome. oh man, I suggested that right off the bat, still no response for me yet, oh well hopefully soon

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted soon.
  • Chinspun
    Chinspun
    ✭✭✭

Very good it looks like this is getting sorted Chinspun. Sorry you have had to go through this.

Now we can hopefully return to marvelling at your magnificent homes.

Thanks very much.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    One can win more people to their side with gentle persuasion than being hostile and that type of comment, calling them blatantly irresponsible, is hostile. This is both common sense and logical.

This is irrelevant when you are talking about business and the goal is to make money. Treat a customer bad and you lose business/lose money, treat them good and you stand to keep their business regardless of how the customer acts. I mean this is business 101and one of the first things you learn in any business class.

BTW, when trying to get a CS agent to help with something the worst thing one can say is they will never do business with them again. The CS agent's job is actually customer retention and that little message just told them to not go to great lengths to help because the customer already made up their mind. Just FYI.

This is the incorrect approach for a customer service agent and if they are acting this way, they need to be educated by their superior. A customer service agents job is to retain customers/business. NOT working towards that goal, regardless of how the customer acts is the incorrect way to handle the situation.

Most dialog from an upset/angry customer comes from their angry/less logical state of mind. Given the assumption that MOST people are reasonable, if the customer is being disrespectful and the recipient/customer service maintains composure and holds the higher ground, when the customer calms down. they will often reflect on their actions vs the customer service persons actions and come to their own conclusion internally that they were out of line.

When a CS agent maintains a professional, caring attitude towards an irate customer, there is a high likelihood that the customer WILL maintain business relations with that business.

When a CS agent shrugs off an irate customer, or acts in retaliation you can bet your bottom dollar you not only lost that customer for life, but they are telling their friends, family, posting on social media, yelp, facebook and will hold this grudge for life.

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    This isn’t just a Zeni thing. Going straight to a chargeback or payment cancellation is a “scorched earth” solution with many, many business and you will no longer be welcomed as a customer.

Not entirely true.

I did chargebacks a couple times with world of warcraft/Blizzard. Left the game for 6 months, decided to play it again and all I had to do was pay for the chargeback (not fees, but the original amount I disputed) and my account was reinstated literally instantly.

Chargebacks is not the best nor should be the first approach when trying to handle a situation, but businesses and a fair amount of people in this thread seem to forget that everyone has different experiences in life and new people are being born every second. To assume that "everyone knows" chargebacks is the improper way to handle things is actually the first mistake the business can make. I don't expect someone who has their first credit card or debit card to even know what a charge back is. All they know is that they spent THEIR money on a service or product and that service or product was not delivered. In their mind they have the right to get their money back and rightfully so.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    I hope you're not using "blatantly irresponsible" in your dialogue with the ZOS Support Team. That will just end up adding more time until you can get back into the game.

If so, that would be extremely unprofessional on ZOS Support part. They should have the wisdom and insight enough to realize that when a customer is not in the wrong and the customer is being punished as if they are in the wrong, that the customer may be less than enthusiastic about the situation. Hence, why the customer is irate. Customer service 101.

Except in this example the customer was in fact wrong.
    Debatable.

Not much to debate. Zos took control and shut things down because a debit card chargeback is considered hostile since the vendor has no say in the matter. As such Zos takes the action of closing the account to force the customer to come to them and explain.
    One can win more people to their side with gentle persuasion than being hostile and that type of comment, calling them blatantly irresponsible, is hostile. This is both common sense and logical.

This is irrelevant when you are talking about business and the goal is to make money. Treat a customer bad and you lose business/lose money, treat them good and you stand to keep their business regardless of how the customer acts. I mean this is business 101and one of the first things you learn in any business class.

Quite the contrary. Businesses want to grow their business but they also do not want to have to deal with jerks constantly so they often are less willing to bend over backward for rude people.

BTW, this came from a person who started off in CS for an auto manufacturer. They are currently an executive vice president for the auto manufacturer. :)
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not much to debate. Zos took control and shut things down because a debit card chargeback is considered hostile since the vendor has no say in the matter. As such Zos takes the action of closing the account to force the customer to come to them and explain.
    Actually there is quite amount to debate on what this is in reference to. The customer did not receive the goods from ZOS they purchased in good faith. ZOS was wrong in this manner.
    Quite the contrary. Businesses want to grow their business but they also do not want to have to deal with jerks constantly so they often are less willing to bend over backward for rude people.
    And treating a customer incorrectly by lengthening the time it takes to resolve their issue, especially when the business is the one who failed to deliver on the goods has absolutely ZERO to do with the customer and how they act.

Any business that treats a customer like dirt, especially when the business is in the wrong deserves to lose their customers.

BTW, this came from a person who started off in CS for an auto manufacturer. They are currently an executive vice president for the auto manufacturer. :)

And most people whom I have encountered who moved up through the ranks of a company did so not based on their merit or work produced, but because they wove themselves politically with the superiors to garner favor, which leads to promotions.
    Edited by Raideen on October 17, 2020 4:58PM
  • what_the
    what_the
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    This isn’t just a Zeni thing. Going straight to a chargeback or payment cancellation is a “scorched earth” solution with many, many business and you will no longer be welcomed as a customer.
    I don't expect someone who has their first credit card or debit card to even know what a charge back is.
    umm...ignorance is no excuse for handling a situation like this.
    It's the responsibility of the person who applies and gets a CC to know or research how to deal with situations that may occur, CCs are a big responsibility in themselves.
    Hell, even a call to Paypal and asking a rep how to go forward in this situation would have been a great first step.
  • Pixative
    Pixative
    ✭✭
    Lots of people ITT jumping on OP using their very acute hindsight and stuff they googled and then acted like they'd always known it and everyone knows it and OP is a failure for not knowing it. Not intelligent, useful or productive.

Protip to temporarily embarrassed millionaires who are always ready to pounce and condescend and lecture the least powerful person in a situation: you're all crabs in the same bucket as the rest of us.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pixative wrote: »
    Lots of people ITT jumping on OP using their very acute hindsight and stuff they googled and then acted like they'd always known it and everyone knows it and OP is a failure for not knowing it. Not intelligent, useful or productive.

Protip to temporarily embarrassed millionaires who are always ready to pounce and condescend and lecture the least powerful person in a situation: you're all crabs in the same bucket as the rest of us.

Well, as someone who's had a credit card for years, I can safely say that I learned that chargebacks will get your account banned from reading the ESO forums when it happened to someone else.

It might just be that I'm paying more attention to it since, but the incidences of chargebacks leading to account banning seem more frequent, starting around late last year. I have to wonder if that's just me seeing more forum threads about it, higher volume of purchases, or whether there's been a hiccup in the transaction processing that's happening more often.
  • what_the
    what_the
    ✭✭✭
    Pixative wrote: »

No one was "jumping, or pouncing" on anyone. People were just giving suggestions on how to possibly handle a situation that was already in progress a little differently, maybe helping someone who may run into a similar situation in the future.
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye
    ✭✭✭✭
    I once had to dispute a payment to another game that I won't name. I think the part you are not saying is how long it takes for a dispute to go through with Paypal. I certainly do not mean to be rude, but you had plenty of time to get ahold of ZOS and work this out even while a dispute had been filed. As others have said it is common practice to always go to the company you had the issue with first, and if you get no results THEN you dispute the charges.
    This seems more like a "Live and learn" deal than anything ZOS did wrong. I would also think that if you are telling it like it happened then your account should be reinstated. Of course, I am not a ZOS employee. I am also surprised ZOS has let this thread fly :) Maybe to let others see and learn from this cautionary tale :)
    What is the definition of insanity? Ask ZOS.
  • dan.wieeb17_ESO
    dan.wieeb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have similar problem, but I had contacted Zenimax before requesting refund ant they confirmed that the transaction was not successful.

- I tried to purchase 14000 crowns in ESO online shop,
    - The money was withdrawn from my account but the crowns were not granted,
    - I filed support request with Zenimax with the payment printout and they confirmed that the transaction was not successful,
    - I requested refund from paypal then, as my money was taken and the crowns were not granted,
    - Paypal contacted Zenimax to confirm the problem,
    - Zenimax did't reply to Paypals question,
    - Paypal returned my money,
    - Zenimax granted me crowns after paypal returned the money; and now
    - Zenimax canceled my subscription and banned me...

I cant even file support ticket or appeal as I'm banned from logging to my account and support system.

I can gladly pay again for the crowns they granted after the return.
    Any ideas?
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

As Discussing Disciplinary Actions are against the Forum's Community Rules, we have gone ahead and closed this thread down.

If anyone needs to submit a ticket, but is unable to log in to do so, please file an Account Recovery ticket here for the Support Team to review.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.