The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should all gear in the game be craftable?

Gracous
Gracous
✭✭✭
For those who aren't able to do trials and arenas, should all gear be craftable?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't do the content, you don't get the rewards. It's a fairly simple concept.

• NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, if it were Id never do pve content again. There would have to be some life changing story writing.

That would devalue new pve content which would lower sales. Although it would be a good thing for me it would be bad for the game.
    Edited by Royalthought on September 23, 2019 1:29AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking for perfected false gods devotion crafter :*
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but the gap between crafted gear and other gear is too wide for the most part. There are a -few- good crafted sets and -many- that need tweaking/light buffs. Same with many overland and PvP sets. Not massive buffs, just some tweaks and bumps, and far more sets would see far more general use. They seem to be doing this, but too slowly, because we are talking minor database changes for the most part.

But as far as having the top end trial gear craftable, in an EQ/WOW style progression treadmill game like ESO, part of what keeps players involved is striving for the next tier to do the next stuff. If players knew they could just wait a bit and craft it, it busts up the whole model/incentive.
    Edited by buttaface on September 23, 2019 4:34AM
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not

You're taking away the farming for the correct trait and the actual gear itself

If you want the gear, plenty of guilds can sell you runs to get the gear

Trial gear is hard to get, and let's have it stay that way
    buttaface wrote: »
    No, but the gap between crafted gear and other gear is too wide for the most part. There are a -few- good crafted sets and -many- that need tweaking/light buffs. Same with many overland and PvP sets. Not massive buffs, just some tweaks and bumps, and far more sets would see far more general use. They seem to be doing this, but too slowly, because we are talking minor database changes for the most part.

But as far as having the top end trial gear craftable, in an EQ/WOW style progression treadmill game like ESO, part of what keeps players involved is striving for the next tier to do the next stuff. If players knew they could just wait a bit and craft it, it busts up the whole model/incentive.

There should be a wide gap between crafted and trial gear. Anyone can make crafted gear, doesnt take half a brain to research traits and go craft whatever weapon or armor or jewelry piece you need in the perfect trait or u can pay someone to do it for you

You can run trials on normal and get the gear you want. If you want perfected gear either pay or progress with a team, pretty simple

This game doesnt need to be anymore casual friendly. If that isnt your suit, then you have options for other mmos
    Edited by SoLooney on September 23, 2019 6:12AM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, if it were Id never do pve content again. There would have to be some life changing story writing.

That would devalue new pve content which would lower sales. Although it would be a good thing for me it would be bad for the game.

It would make crafting more valuable though. Remember that there are crafting skill boost tokens for sale in the Crown Store. I've bought many of them myself, and they are not cheap.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see some sort of token system. So I dont have to suffer from RNG. It takes ages to get a weapon from a dungeon set because of rng...

How would that work ? Well you could convert gear to different sets from a specific dungeon. You got a sword from a Magicka set ? No problem. Just convert it to Stamina set that drops in this dungeon. Also I would imagine it would have to cost "something". Some currency. Either transmute crystals or gold.

As for the trials & arenas... I understand that it may be a problem for ppl who just want to farm gear, and are not really into end-game that much. A lot of trial / arena sets are very usefull outside of group content.
    Best way would be simply to add group finder support for those. And tbh. this is beyond weird. Why it is still not in a game... after 5+ years ?! I mean it is so obvious trials and arenas should have group finder support, but for whatever reason they dont lol. Trials, sure 12 man content, would require new coding... But wait, arenas are 4 man... why those are not suported by a group finder that forms 4 MAN GROUP ?! And dont tell me server will die if they do so, I mean how many arenas we have ? 1...2... Yep we have TWO group arenas.... So that is basically like one new dungeon DLC... Speking of which... One can use group finder to do veteran dlc dungeons. Arguably very difficult content, so difficulty is not a reson why trials & arenas are not supported by group finder. Who knows maybe, one day we will have this feature in eso... One can only hope.

Sorry for accidental rant & long post.
  • Squidgaurd
    Squidgaurd
    ✭✭✭
    No but they should introduce engame ability boosting gear rewards into pvp like the arena weapons but dofferent with their own unique effects these would be for pvp since pvE'rs like to blame pvpers for whatever on the forums.
  • Xedwyn
    Xedwyn
    The effort-reward model in place in most games - granted it is decently flawed in ESO - makes total sense for most people, and it would be a shame to give players who do not put the effort in to improve, organize in groups and complete hard content access to the best gear.

my 2¢
    in-game trial carry services for gold
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gracous wrote: »
    For those who aren't able to do trials and arenas, should all gear be craftable?

Yes, but for ESO it is to late. A game requires a basic design for such.

The days of elitist itemization and farming are over. ESO did a step forward. But the next step is equal for all with slots where a raid loots a big gem/glyph/proc rune and a solo player loots a small gem/glyph/proc rune and is able to combine multiple of them into a bigger one.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. If you want the rewards, do the content.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

why you need it when you dont do this things?
    Samuel Crow - Nachtklinge - PC-EU-DC
    Saint_Crow Twitch / Youtube
    ESO Stream Team Member
    Noractis
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top tier gear should be trails only, but I feel that craftable gear should be equal to dungeon gear, not below overland sets like it is now (for 90% of the sets, anyway). Let's not devalue the work and time put in by the crafter to get 9 traits across the board by making what you can craft worthless.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Gariele
    Gariele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re not able to do the content you shouldn’t have access to it. But saying that there are paid runs that a group will drag you through for a fee
    PC/EU
    Winter Rose Autumn Rose Summer Rose Pacific Rose Midnight Rose
    RoseESO Discord
    RoseESO Website
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoLooney wrote: »
    There should be a wide gap between crafted and trial gear.

I disagree. There should be just enough of a gap to keep players interested in having the best gear doing trials, not more than that.
    SoLooney wrote: »
    Anyone can make crafted gear, doesnt take half a brain to research traits and go craft whatever weapon or armor or jewelry piece you need in the perfect trait or u can pay someone to do it for you

Wrong because nothing in this game takes more than "half a brain" to do compared to anything real, and that includes trials or whatever other content. MMOs are easy, casual entertainment. They are towards the bottom of video game difficulty generally, and this one is no different, especially due to having no parkour or true aim involved. And it does take quite a lot of playing the game to craft high trait gear.

Already agreed that trial gear shouldn't be craftable in the earlier post, but let's not pretend this game is something it isn't and that the top end trial gear is some special hoopty doo or reward for any meaningful skill.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would love to have a more sandbox system where no set gear drops and everything has to be learned and crafted by players.

It would make materials and crafting relevant again.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With MMORPGs of this style it is comment to have a driving force to lure player to the more challenging content. In part it is in the best interest on the business side as it gets more players doing different content. So I doubt Zos would entertain the idea of all gear being craftable by any design or means.
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have removed several posts from this thread that were disruptive and did not add value to the discussion. Please ensure you keep your posts civil and constructive.
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on September 26, 2019 1:14PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Bodži
    Bodži
    ✭✭
    Can someone post a 6m dummy parse with trial and non trial gear so we can see a difference for DPS?
    Why walk when you can ride?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    The top tier gear should be trails only, but I feel that craftable gear should be equal to dungeon gear, not below overland sets like it is now (for 90% of the sets, anyway). Let's not devalue the work and time put in by the crafter to get 9 traits across the board by making what you can craft worthless.

Well said, I totally agree!

The only sets I craft regularly are Hundings Rage and Night Mother’s Gaze for my stamina characters.

There are probably only a handful of others that are used by others as well - Juliano’s, Eyes of Mara, can’t even think of any more, to prove my point.

I don’t think they should be as good as trials gear, but maybe more craftable sets that people can actually use that are worth it. I don’t think they will ever be as good as group dungeon gear, though. They want us farming those dungeons.

You can spend several hours farming bosses for gear and still not get any pieces with the right trait. You can spend weeks and still not get them all. Sure, you can transmute, but 250 transmute gems for five pieces takes a while to obtain. It’s just so nice to craft all divines or all impen and just be done with it!
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I don't follow the same reasoning that led to the conclusion as you did, I agree with the conclusion (for the most part).

I understand that gamble mechanics are a staple of MMOs, but those mechanics come at the expense of the RPG end. Some amount of randomization makes sense in an RPG (as a game master I've definitely used randomized loot tables where appropriate to take some of the workload off my shoulders), but a game like this takes it to a level that detracts from realism and restricts player creativity. There's no logical reason why crafters can't craft any set or item in the game - whether it's a player crafter or an NPC crafter. Frankly, i'd take it further - there's no logical reason why crafters couldn't craft any sort of customized gear set imaginable with flexible modifiers and set bonuses. If ESO had a really good crafting system, it'd be like that.

Instead of all these sets dropping through unrealistic RNG mechanics, all sets would be created through crafting. The crafter - whether a player or an NPC - could fully customize what the set bonuses are based on certain rules and limitations. The equivalent of 5-pc set bonuses (or special bonuses from things like arena weapons) would require adventuring to get a component to craft it. This mechanic would replace the silly RNG that is currently present but still maintain an incentive to run content like dungeons, arenas, and trials. You would have to adventure in that specific area to get components for specific set bonuses (which would be fully tradeable with other players). On the whole, it would look a lot like a "token system" others have suggested only integrated with PC/NPC crafting services for realism.

We won't see a system like that, sadly. Maybe in ESO 2, though.
    Edited by Starlock on September 27, 2019 3:30PM
  • Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a crafting system where people could do crafting only and still make good amounts of gold at it. When I played Ultima Online i was able to make a lot of money crafting for other people. It was fun to sit at the forge and make things for people so that they could go and beat monsters or players. But that aside, it would be nice if crafting became needed or useful again. Hence that question in the title bar.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a crafting system where people could do crafting only and still make good amounts of gold at it. When I played Ultima Online i was able to make a lot of money crafting for other people. It was fun to sit at the forge and make things for people so that they could go and beat monsters or players. But that aside, it would be nice if crafting became needed or useful again. Hence that question in the title bar.

There is still good money in crafting for other players, @Gracous.

It does help to be in a trading guild so you can list your craftables for purchase.

In addition, you might want to brush up on what player crafting needs are in today’s ESO. Hint: It’s not nearly as much Clever Alchemist as it used to be.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t do groups. Therefore my dungeon experience is limited to what I can solo. I craft most of my gear.

But if all sets were craftable, then would there be much point in group content? What would be the main rewards?
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    I don’t do groups. Therefore my dungeon experience is limited to what I can solo. I craft most of my gear.

But if all sets were craftable, then would there be much point in group content? What would be the main rewards?

I do dungeons because I like to and for no other reason. Games are supposed to be FUN and the reward is in the FUN. If it isn’t, then there’s something wrong with the game design, IMHO.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love for more crafted sets to be relevant. Perhaps even on par with overland sets. But, for my playstyle - a solo quester who does some normal base-game dungeons with my spouse - dungeon/trial gear isn't necessary. Would it be cool to have and would it make things go faster for me? Sure, but when I can duo normal dungeons in CP150 crafted gear (yes, I've never bothered to upgrade some gear I was testing out back when ruby mats were hard to come by), I don't really need dungeon gear.

If I wanted to get into end-game content, then I would focus more on upgrading my gear and pairing some crafted with overland while farming normal dungeons for better gear. But meh...running dungeons ad nauseum for gear is not my cup of flin. Others really enjoy dungeons, and I do, on occasion, but running them over and over? Nah. But then, there is content I'll do ad nauseum, like daily crafting writs on multiple characters or WB/delve dailies when I'm farming for motifs.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on October 4, 2019 5:17PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish, but without the incessant grinding, people wouldn't see as many ads for the crown store and wouldn't be as tempted to spend money.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Saint wrote: »

why you need it when you dont do this things?

I guess I wouldn't if trial gear were disallowed in Cyrodiil (or PvP offered comparable self-only gear) and folks wearing trial gear would stop whining that overland content should be made more challenging because their gear makes it boring.

Also "do the content if you want the reward" seems to go out the window when PvP or crafting are involved. Remember the PvErs whining because they thought they ought to be able to buy storage containers for gold? I'm fine with different rewards for different activities but not if it's only trialers whose rewards are sacrosanct.

Edited by Imryll on October 4, 2019 5:33PM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like crafting to be relevant at all in endgame. For me at least, it isn't. I'm not saying I want endgame gear to be craftable - by no means do I want that. What I want is to still be able to use crafting for something other than making training sets for newbies.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.