Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Should all gear in the game be craftable?

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Not only would this remove incentive to run or repeat content, but if you aren’t good enough to do even moderately difficult content then you aren’t someone who needs bis gear anyway.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    The_Saint wrote: »
    Gracous wrote: »
    For those who aren't able to do trials and arenas, should all gear be craftable?

why you need it when you dont do this things?

I guess I wouldn't if trial gear were disallowed in Cyrodiil (or PvP offered comparable self-only gear) and folks wearing trial gear would stop whining that overland content should be made more challenging because their gear makes it boring.

Also "do the content if you want the reward" seems to go out the window when PvP or crafting are involved. Remember the PvErs whining because they thought they ought to be able to buy storage containers for gold? I'm fine with different rewards for different activities but not if it's only trialers whose rewards are sacrosanct.

Most trial gear is actually pretty bad in PvP.

Relequin - Trash
    Siroria - Trash
    Lokkestiiz - Trash (unless you have a dedicated ball group, then perhaps)

Most of the people who I know who PvP regularly, use mostly overland and dungeon sets, not trials sets.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Negative, but I would support all sets giving marginal benefits and content being adjusted so that skill is THE majority and deciding factor at all times between the best damage dealers, tanks, and healers or between those engaged in PvP.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say no now but if they continue to nerf sets and skills every few months I'm going to change my mind. We deserve access to all gear without playing the content if this trend continues.
    Its ridiculous that we have to spend so much of our time farming for mats gold and gear only to have them then change sets and skills...
    It's not fun gameplay atm
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBH, I've never bothered to compare craftable sets, overland sets, and dungeon/trial sets, so I don't know how they compare. But speaking just in a general way, being unable to craft anything-- weapons, armor, jewelry, enchantments, potions, poisons, food, or drinks-- that measures up to noncraftable stuff seems like a slap in the face to anyone interested in crafting and who has devoted a lot of time, effort, and SPs to mastering each crafting skill and learning all traits and recipes and whatnots. Oh, wow, great job, you mastered that crafting skill, good for you! By the way, you know that nothing you craft with that skill will ever be able to measure up against the stuff that drops within the game, right? :'(
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think EOS has a problem with too many sets and too many that are less than spectacular at that. I believe the highest level gear should come from the hardest content only. I would however like to see more sets come out of crafting that would be usable as bridges between content levels. Something that would lets say get you from open world into entry level normal dungeons or from normal dungeons into entry level veteran dungeons. This could work to open up a market for crafted sets that is more than just selling low level stuff for crafting research.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think EOS has a problem with too many sets and too many that are less than spectacular at that. I believe the highest level gear should come from the hardest content only. I would however like to see more sets come out of crafting that would be usable as bridges between content levels. Something that would lets say get you from open world into entry level normal dungeons or from normal dungeons into entry level veteran dungeons. This could work to open up a market for crafted sets that is more than just selling low level stuff for crafting research.

But it is... Crafted Seducers/Julianos for any magicka build will be good enough to do every HM dungeon in the game. Can do all of HM craglorn trials in it as well, as well as easily do enough dps to complete vMoL, vHoF, vAS, vCR and vSS. You might not be able to get HMs done (unless you got carried)

You might have to farm for a monster set, but for magicka, many of the best one drop from non-DLC dungeons.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

But it is... Crafted Seducers/Julianos for any magicka build will be good enough to do every HM dungeon in the game. Can do all of HM craglorn trials in it as well, as well as easily do enough dps to complete vMoL, vHoF, vAS, vCR and vSS. You might not be able to get HMs done (unless you got carried)

You might have to farm for a monster set, but for magicka, many of the best one drop from non-DLC dungeons.

I'm well aware of Julianos and use it myself. Of all the craftable sets there are 2 or 3 that are usable but none of them really sell. I've said this in other threads but I think EOS needs to reevaluate all of their sets whether crafted or obtained via content. There are so many out there yet the majority are not good for much more than fun solo builds. In my mind it would be better if something like Julianos were limited to say CP 150 - 160 and enough to get you to maybe the easier vet dungeons and have some other set for lower levels.

I believe the all sets working at all levels and being able to upgrade from any quality to gold is part of the problem with people expecting to get high level gear no matter what content they run. While you can never eliminate that entirely I think greater differentiation and better defined equipment levels would go a long way to clearing up the confusion. I don't do high level content myself. I have never expected to have the top level gear due to that however through upgrading I can generally get to the same levels as the average mid/high tier player. By putting more emphasis on the set rather than quality level as a reward it creates the potential to allow a wider range of viable sets for players at all levels of content and to set keep uniqueness as well.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on October 6, 2019 8:54PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be really cool is if we could basically design our own sets, instead of just crafting predesigned sets.

What do you want the 2-item bonus to be? Choose from a list of possible bonuses, maybe with your current crafting level, crafting rank, and number of traits known determining whether certain bonuses are available.

What do you want the 3-item bonus to be? Same considerations as above, except maybe the overall choices are slightly better than for the 2-item bonus-- i.e., same pool of possible choices as for the 2-item bonus, but also some additional ones.

What do you want the 4-item bonus to be? Same as above, but again with some additional choices added to the pool.

What do you want the 5-item bonus to be? This would be fundamentally different than the other bonuses, just as with dropped and predesigned craftable sets. But otherwise the same idea-- a list of possible bonuses you can choose from.

Maybe you'd have to learn the various potential bonuses, similar to the way you have to learn traits, by getting a piece of gear that has whatever bonus you're interested in and then researching it.

And maybe you'd need to obtain a special crafting station to do this, sort of like an attunable crafting station but instead of attuning it to a specific predesigned set you're able to use it to research existing sets and thereby add to its pool of choices for the various 2-item, 3-item, 4-item, and 5-item bonuses.

Or maybe once you've chosen the specific bonuses, the crafting station becomes locked to that custom set, so if you want to create another custom set then you need to obtain another of the special crafting stations and program it.

Would probably never happen, but it's fun to dream up possibilities. :)

In this way, crafting could become more of a truly individualistic thing, where each master craftsperson could have his or her more or less unique creations, as opposed to everybody just being limited to crafting the same stuff as everyone else.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    What would be really cool is if we could basically design our own sets, instead of just crafting predesigned sets.

What do you want the 2-item bonus to be? Choose from a list of possible bonuses, maybe with your current crafting level, crafting rank, and number of traits known determining whether certain bonuses are available.

What do you want the 3-item bonus to be? Same considerations as above, except maybe the overall choices are slightly better than for the 2-item bonus-- i.e., same pool of possible choices as for the 2-item bonus, but also some additional ones.

What do you want the 4-item bonus to be? Same as above, but again with some additional choices added to the pool.

What do you want the 5-item bonus to be? This would be fundamentally different than the other bonuses, just as with dropped and predesigned craftable sets. But otherwise the same idea-- a list of possible bonuses you can choose from.

Maybe you'd have to learn the various potential bonuses, similar to the way you have to learn traits, by getting a piece of gear that has whatever bonus you're interested in and then researching it.

And maybe you'd need to obtain a special crafting station to do this, sort of like an attunable crafting station but instead of attuning it to a specific predesigned set you're able to use it to research existing sets and thereby add to its pool of choices for the various 2-item, 3-item, 4-item, and 5-item bonuses.

Or maybe once you've chosen the specific bonuses, the crafting station becomes locked to that custom set, so if you want to create another custom set then you need to obtain another of the special crafting stations and program it.

Would probably never happen, but it's fun to dream up possibilities. :)

In this way, crafting could become more of a truly individualistic thing, where each master craftsperson could have his or her more or less unique creations, as opposed to everybody just being limited to crafting the same stuff as everyone else.

It was suggested here a while back to do something similar to that.

Only, the 5 piece bonus was what defined the "set". So Julianos always had its 5-piece add 299 spell damage, but you would be able to pick and choose your 2-, 3-, and 4- item bonuses.

The idea was pitched in a Discord channel that had a direct line to the developers (not the Class Rep program, but another method), have not heard anything about it since then though :disappointed:
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The create your own set would be awesome, but that is more than I would ever hope for.

The thing that really bothers me about crafting is this: compared to the items that come from loot drops, I can craft better items for everything except armor and weapons. I can craft better food, glyphs, probably potions (I struggle with the quick select d-pad buttons on PS4 controller in combat, so I don’t rely on them). Clothier, blacksmithing, and woodworking are the areas in which I have the most time and gold invested in too. In general, the gear I craft is not better than drop sets, and in some cases not nearly as good.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As has been pointed out, crafting everything makes the need to visit the sources of dropped gear go away. Guilds with attuned stations already make the need to visit the crafting station so much easier.

Without crafting, you'd have a progression of overland < dungeon < trial sets and currently the crafted sets fit in between overland and dungeon. If crafting didn't make sets at all, but only improved the others, you'd still have a progression that makes sense, as you get the equipment in the context in which it is needed. So perhaps the answer is to expand the improvements offered by crafting, for example to add an additional full-set bonus.

I have no idea how you could change over to that from the current scheme, however. There's too much crafted equipment out there, and all existing sets would need to be revised. It would really only work in a new MMO.
  • Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    So is this a case for making PvP gear craftble and PvE gear obtainable by doing content or just keeping it the way it is?
  • Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    I found a build that uses Willows Path (craftable) as the armour and Senche (overland) as the jewelry. It does well.....so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSWrMtl3XCo
  • jaekobcaed
    jaekobcaed
    ✭✭✭
    No, definitely not. I don't do trials or arenas either but RPGs (especially MMOs) are best when some gear is special and locked behind content. That way, you not only have a reason to play that content but it also makes that gear particularly special.
    Isachar Daerenfel of Alinor, Psijic Sage, Master Wizard of the Mage's Guild and heir to the Daerenfel Trading Co.
    [PC/NA]