The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why on Earth is 30 day faction lock a thing

• AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    Sharee wrote: »
    The “this is a game logic” can also be used to support anti faction lock.

Maybe we should also allow soccer players switch to the enemy team mid-match because they have a higher score, yes?

"This is a game" logic, and all that.
    Actually in a casual game with friends you'd probably do that if the teams are unbalanced. Trade a good player from the winning team with a not-so-good player from the losing team.

Or are you implying that ESO should be compared to competitive soccer rather than casual?

I understand of course that you're implying people switch to the winning faction resulting in further imbalance but this behaviour can not be stopped by faction locks. You can delay for a bit but at the end of the campaign the players that want to be on the winning team will swap regardless.

In a casual game of say pickup basketball with 6 friends sure you'd mix things up to keep the game interesting, in a game of pee-wee football (soccer) or softball or cricket I don't think the parents or coaches would toss their league ranking so a few people could get a ringer trophy. Since there is a scoreboard related to the campaign it is going to matter to some people with competitive natures that revolve around group activities and human interactions.

It's true also there is a second scoreboard that ranks individual ap/tick and is used for some other mechanics, like a modifier of the incremental reward, and if you can become emperor. Sharee's argument is perfectly valid and it's a good metaphor, you can make your own argument using a game metaphor that is likely valid as well. This game, while casual, does have competitive aspects that the developers encourage in PVP, alliance war and PVE. Also there are a large number of un-associated individuals playing together so modeling it to a casual game with friends, like say 4v4 quake arena, or a pickup basketball game is also flawed.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we need to reward people for being loyal to a faction locking people out of characters and friend groups isn't the right way t to do it alot of friends of mine wanted to move to DC this reset and ended up logging into their EP mains todo writs and auto locked them back into EP where they didn't want to be this lock is causing far more annoying issues than fixing any
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    WoppaBoem wrote: »
    The lock is awesome. Instead of very toxic zone chat it turned into a alliance zone team chat. The trolling is gone, scroll pick up and running to the enemies to hand it over. The game feels like it should be and the fights are balanced enough. The blues could need some bodies do.

So far really nice experience. Especially the hate out of zone chat. Come to enjoy the game but so many people just logged into the alliance to make drama.

It did exactly this.

The OP asks "Why is this a thing"

Well its like this, you simply cannot promote the things that people will exploit.

weve heard this song before, it goes like this " a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch"

The players are toxic, the chat is toxic, the dungeon runs are toxic, and theres people paying for the game, that are NOT toxic and do not like the toxicity. So when a dungeon is toxic, well you can put that player on ignore right? and they wont be paired with you, and you dont have to listen to it anymore..

well when that toxicity is in cyro, yes you can put them on ignore so you dont have to listen to it.. but well. they can still hurt you. they can spam your chat so your calling out keeps under attack, no one shows up. (thats a little one)

They can bring the scroll you capped to the enemy team and give it to them (thats slightly bigger - still pretty petty)

They can log in a whole guild earthgore ball-group and go drive it right into the wrong faction to attract attention to a strategic area to sway the course of battle in the direction they want it to go. (this is getting bigger)

They can as a group log both factions and farm a keep back and fourth by not fighting and flipping flags (now this is just down right cheating)

and im sure they have invented many other ways to exploit the free faction model, since its not my thing, im not very creative about it, but let me tell you. they are.. if toxic players can find a way to lie, cheat, steal, exploit, hack, or whatever they can do just to ruin your day. well thats not enough for them they will find a way to do that and more...

and soooooooooooo

by implementing a faction lock it is a step to try to negate some of this (we all know how negate works - toss it down to clear the bad effects)

And that is why it is a thing, and it is 30 day because the campaign is 30 day

all that being said... i did not sign up for a 60 day faction lock, and i want my account unlocked like now.. because i wanted to change factions and cant.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jdamuso wrote: »
    [...] they are.. if toxic players can find a way to lie, cheat, steal, exploit, hack, or whatever they can do just to ruin your day. well thats not enough for them they will find a way to do that and more...
    [...]

And faction locks do nothing to stop toxic players from being toxic. Absolutely nothing. All those "issues" you have mentioned can and will still happen, with the exception of flipping something back and forth after relogging - something i have never witnessed on my campaign, so it certainly wasn't an issue on somewhat active campaigns.

Additionally not everything some players perceive as toxic behaviour or cheating has vicious intentions.

Just as an example, i was once accused (and allegedly reported) of being a spy and traitor - when i was completely new to the game, had only 1 single char (EP), have been in PvP for just a few days - because i was watching duels between some AD and DC. Guess i should have jumped in and try to kill them all, would have certainly worked great ...

Bringing scrolls not where players want the scrolls to be brought is another issue where you often don't know the intentions. But i'm quite confident that "trying to help the opposing faction" is not among the more common reasons.

And before you start with something like "it doesn't matter for what reason they are doing it, if it doesn't help the faction/score it is bad" then what about 30+ zergs taking empty keeps/resources that could be taken by much less players - so the majority of those aren't actually helping the faction? What all those players that keep mindlessly zerging between Ash/Roe, Brk/Alessia, or Ales/Chal - doesn't do anything for the faction. What about the players that are simply bad, even after playing the game for a long time? They aren't very helpful for their faction too. What about those that log off or swap campaign if they face too much resistance for their liking? Or those that log off/swap campaign if their faction is holding the whole map - clearly they should be gate camping the enemy to make sure they gain 0 points - everything else would be treason, right?
    No matter where you draw the line, it is a pretty arbitrary decision. There is no clear rule about what is ok and what not, other than the rules written down by ZOS. And the vast majority of "misbehaviour" that players are accused of, is not against their rules.

Edited by Rianai on June 20, 2019 12:15PM
  • jdamuso
    jdamuso
    ✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    jdamuso wrote: »
    [...] they are.. if toxic players can find a way to lie, cheat, steal, exploit, hack, or whatever they can do just to ruin your day. well thats not enough for them they will find a way to do that and more...
    [...]

And faction locks do nothing to stop toxic players from being toxic. Absolutely nothing. All those "issues" you have mentioned can and will still happen, with the exception of flipping something back and forth after relogging - something i have never witnessed on my campaign, so it certainly wasn't an issue on somewhat active campaigns.

Additionally not everything some players perceive as toxic behaviour or cheating has vicious intentions.

Just as an example, i was once accused (and allegedly reported) of being a spy and traitor - when i was completely new to the game, had only 1 single char (EP), have been in PvP for just a few days - because i was watching duels between some AD and DC. Guess i should have jumped in and try to kill them all, would have certainly worked great ...

Bringing scrolls not where players want the scrolls to be brought is another issue where you often don't know the intentions. But i'm quite confident that "trying to help the opposing faction" is not among the more common reasons.

And before you start with something like "it doesn't matter for what reason they are doing it, if it doesn't help the faction/score it is bad" then what about 30+ zergs taking empty keeps/resources that could be taken by much less players - so the majority of those aren't actually helping the faction? What all those players that keep mindlessly zerging between Ash/Roe, Brk/Alessia, or Ales/Chal - doesn't do anything for the faction. What about the players that are simply bad, even after playing the game for a long time? They aren't very helpful for their faction too. What about those that log off or swap campaign if they face too much resistance for their liking? Or those that log off/swap campaign if their faction is holding the whole map - clearly they should be gate camping the enemy to make sure they gain 0 points - everything else would be treason, right?
    No matter where you draw the line, it is a pretty arbitrary decision. There is no clear rule about what is ok and what not, other than the rules written down by ZOS. And the vast majority of "misbehaviour" that players are accused of, is not against their rules.

So what you are saying is.. they have implemented a rule, being faction lock. but it was okay that the players were doing those things because there were not rules?

And of-course i implied that this does not stop toxic players, but limits their capabilities to further their endeavor of being toxic and ruining everyone's day.

im rather confused at your comment. are you for faction lock? or against it? the statements you've made reflect to me that the attempt to curb these behaviors should be the responsibility of ZOS to create rules. And yet creating faction lock is in fact just that..

perhaps you were supporting my statement, if so great.

perhaps you were contesting my statement, if so, i don't think it worked.

• echo2omega
    echo2omega
    ✭✭✭
    I am conditionally OK with faction lock.

The condition is I am allowed to change my characters faction.

OR

The condition is selecting a faction is account wide and applies to all characters.
  • kollege14a5
    kollege14a5
    ✭✭✭
    Cause now i get 6k more gold every 30 days because my faction can better nightcap
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL dont matter atm you cant play effect in any faction. PERFORMANCE TRUMPS THIS !
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have removed some non-constructive/baiting posts from this thread. In addition, we have closed this thread as there is already an active thread regarding faction lock. Feel free to continue the discussion in that thread found here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.