The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why on Earth is 30 day faction lock a thing

hassubhai
hassubhai
✭✭✭
I dont play a lot of eso, I play every now and then when I have days off. When i do play however i like to spend alot of time on it pvping on my various mains. All except 1 of which is AD the rest are EP. Now as a ps4 eu player im stuck only being able to enter the 30 day campaign with one char, the game has basically became dead for me as a result. The other campains are dead probably because its ps4 eu.

Is there no way around this?? I cant pvp normally on my 4 other ep chars now.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enough people cried for ZOS to do it. Plus it might make them sell more of that dumb DLC that lets you play any race on any alliance. It's a win-win for ZOS!

At least until Cyrodiil population turns to zero and those players stop logging...

ZOS really only looks at the short-term with this game on every level, even class balance. It's sad.
  • hassubhai
    hassubhai
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Enough people cried for ZOS to do it. Plus it might make them sell more of that dumb DLC that lets you play any race on any alliance. It's a win-win for ZOS!

At least until Cyrodiil population turns to zero and those players stop logging...

ZOS really only looks at the short-term with this game on every level, even class balance. It's sad.

Well that sucks, im probs gonna not bother with eso after the 30 day period i was hyoed to try some new pvp builds, but im stuck only being able to play my stamsorc.

FeelsBadMan
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    hassubhai wrote: »

Well that sucks, im probs gonna not bother with eso after the 30 day period i was hyoed to try some new pvp builds, but im stuck only being able to play my stamsorc.

FeelsBadMan

Know what you mean. I haven't even bothered logging into my other faction chars since there is no reason to do it now that there's nowhere for them to fight but PvE. BGs and IC are both very boring compared to open world, and its annoying to get farmed in BGs by two colluding teams that you stomped the day before, or in IC by a team of NBs/ultra-tanky stam DKs wearing Fury and all dropping DB/leap at once.

It's funny that part of the reason why the locks are so bad is because the game itself is not balanced well. Races aren't balanced, classes aren't balanced, sets aren't balanced, the map isn't balanced, hell even lag and the overall experience isn't balanced.

ZOS can't understand that all these little things add up and that the lock will simply showcase them and solve nothing, whether its now or later after people supposedly stop playing PvE :D

Me? I seriously just log less. Need to sleep more after work these days since its so hot anyway!
  • hassubhai
    hassubhai
    ✭✭✭
    hassubhai wrote: »

FeelsBadMan

Know what you mean. I haven't even bothered logging into my other faction chars since there is no reason to do it now that there's nowhere for them to fight but PvE. BGs and IC are both very boring compared to open world, and its annoying to get farmed in BGs by two colluding teams that you stomped the day before, or in IC by a team of NBs/ultra-tanky stam DKs wearing Fury and all dropping DB/leap at once.

It's funny that part of the reason why the locks are so bad is because the game itself is not balanced well. Races aren't balanced, classes aren't balanced, sets aren't balanced, the map isn't balanced, hell even lag and the overall experience isn't balanced.

ZOS can't understand that all these little things add up and that the lock will simply showcase them and solve nothing, whether its now or later after people supposedly stop playing PvE :D

Me? I seriously just log less. Need to sleep more after work these days since its so hot anyway!

Yeah tbh zos can get away with so much such as balance issues and bugs or glitches etc because their base game is undeniably a great mmo at heart, but when they lock us out of even playing that mmo the way we love there is nothing left to keep us coming back
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it used to be a thing. Campaigns used to be faction locked.

Then ZOS changed it.

Gradually, the campaigns wound up with problems thanks to faction swapping. Trolling, emp swapping, scroll stealing, AP farming, etc. Faction swapping made it easier to create those problems, and made it a lot easier for a whole bunch of players to run around going "IDGAF about the map, I just want good fights", which has interesting effects on the balance in Cyrodiil. Players would play all factions long enough to get the campaign rewards and then leave for the month.

There were some benefits, of course. Players got used to playing with their multifaction friends. Some players swapped to the outnumbered side.

But the players who wanted faction locks kept asking for them, kept pointing out the problems they helped fix (or at least, locks make it harder to cause those problems), and so ZOS brought the faction locks back.

I'm treating it like the CP BGs experiment. If they don't have the desired impact, they'll probably get reverted.
    Edited by VaranisArano on June 12, 2019 1:10PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and made it a lot easier for a whole bunch of players to run around going "IDGAF about the map, I just want good fights", which has interesting effects on the balance in Cyrodiil

I can tell you with 100% certainty from the experience of playing faction based pvp mmos since the release of DAoC in 2002 - the players with that mentality have this mentality regardless of faction/alliance/realm/server or whatever lock.
    This mentality existed in games that didn´t even have an enemy chat function nor could you reliably see enemy names and pve was entirely seperated between factions.

People showed the same behaviour as the good fight crowd shows in eso ever since i´ve played this type of games.

It´s just people having a different idea of what enjoyable pvp means to them and faction lock does nothing to that.
    Edited by Derra on June 13, 2019 6:09AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    It´s just people having a different idea of what enjoyable pvp means to them and faction lock does nothing to that.

Right. Just some of those mindsets turn other people (behind any character in PvP is a human) into trash mobs or better say background actors. Such can be very disgusting and borderline chewing on your civil rights. The servers are not in a virtual bubble in outer space. They are in real nations with real people and real laws. This aint a ESO problem, this is a internet problem that was neglected for way to long. Internet is not a lawless space, even if you hide in a different nation and a certain amount of anonymity.

Prime time currently is much more fun. It is far from perfect, but more fun.
    Edited by mague on June 13, 2019 6:43AM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »

Right. Just some of those mindsets turn other people (behind any character in PvP is a human) into trash mobs or better say background actors. Such can be very disgusting and borderline chewing on your civil rights. The servers are not in a virtual bubble in outer space. They are in real nations with real people and real laws. This aint a ESO problem, this is a internet problem that was neglected for way to long. Internet is not a lawless space, even if you hide in a different nation and a certain amount of anonymity.

Personally i´ve experienced far more negativity from faction loyalists hiding behind the idea of a true meaningful virtual war than by the people just looking for "good fights".
    As from my experience the latter can aknowledge the human also seeking and enjoyable experience in a game far more so (regardless if their idea of fun match or not) than the former which easily justifies most of their actions by just fighting the "enemy" in a "war".
    Edited by Derra on June 13, 2019 7:33AM
    <Noricum>

• Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock should never have been added back in. Aside from the fact I can't play all my characters and with all the people I know, the faction system pretty much got meaningless in One Tamriel. You are able to play with and see other people in different factions in every zone. This makes far less sense than being able to multifaction with different characters but of course these pro-factionist players don't mention that.
    Edited by Rikumaru on June 13, 2019 10:32AM
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »

Personally i´ve experienced far more negativity from faction loyalists hiding behind the idea of a true meaningful virtual war than by the people just looking for "good fights".
    As from my experience the latter can aknowledge the human also seeking and enjoyable experience in a game far more so (regardless if their idea of fun match or not) than the former which easily justifies most of their actions by just fighting the "enemy" in a "war".

It is not about looking for some action. I dont mind the "useless" perma-battle at Roe farm, Alessia bridge or some outposts. Once in a while i do those too. useless but a good way to waste time. The good fights are most probably in Alik*r anyway.

We had open verbal debasing of whole factions after luring whole faction into traps and timewastes. And that stopped since lock. There is still some sort of "zone mafia" but the verbal debasing stopped.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thing of it is, ZOS doesn’t play their own game. They have no feel for it. They have no idea why anyone, much less everyone even logs into Cyro.

They have to make money and to do so they have to make as many people happy with their product as possible. They don’t know what everybody wants so they listen to the loudest voices, who ever bothers to VOICE an opinion.

Faction lock sucks to the vast SILENT majority of people for many different reasons. Just like people crying for nerfs, the people who cried for faction locks, assume they aren’t successful at PvP because the next man has some sort of unfair advantage; and, that ZOS can and should “fix” it. Such people never consider that they’re not successful because their not as good at the game as they think.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Server was overloaded -> easy solution *** off pvp players aka faction lock

What they did was beyond stupid and just locks me out off all my chars in other alliances and forces me to create all new chars on the same Alliance. Hell, i cannot even relog to an underpopulated to pvp but can either afk dance in cyro or log off.

Faction locks are the TOXIC way of the devs to reduce the number of "good" pvper. (aka they ppl who actually notice how buggy/laggy everything is)
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry you're having a bad experience. Mine on the other hand has been awesome. When I logged on earlier in the day, EP had about 1/2 the map. Blue got the hammer and literally took over the map within 15 minutes, it was the most terrifying and awesome thing I've ever seen. Hammer disappears and then yellow makes a come back! About that time I had to log off. A few hours later I logged on the map was fairly split up with fights occurring all over the place. Faction locking has been everything I was expecting and more, I adore its re-introduction back in to the game.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    cheifsoap wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're having a bad experience. Mine on the other hand has been awesome. When I logged on earlier in the day, EP had about 1/2 the map. Blue got the hammer and literally took over the map within 15 minutes, it was the most terrifying and awesome thing I've ever seen. Hammer disappears and then yellow makes a come back! About that time I had to log off. A few hours later I logged on the map was fairly split up with fights occurring all over the place. Faction locking has been everything I was expecting and more, I adore its re-introduction back in to the game.

Were you on in prime time?
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler‌ @ZOS_RichLambert

Could you guys give us any feedback on how you are seeing the faction locks play out in terms of numbers behind the scenes?
    Are you happy with the current implementation or considering changes?

If you will post numbers I would be nice to see reference of which servers and platforms they reference.

@Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lock is awesome. Instead of very toxic zone chat it turned into a alliance zone team chat. The trolling is gone, scroll pick up and running to the enemies to hand it over. The game feels like it should be and the fights are balanced enough. The blues could need some bodies do.

So far really nice experience. Especially the hate out of zone chat. Come to enjoy the game but so many people just logged into the alliance to make drama.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoppaBoem wrote: »
    The lock is awesome. Instead of very toxic zone chat it turned into a alliance zone team chat. The trolling is gone, scroll pick up and running to the enemies to hand it over. The game feels like it should be and the fights are balanced enough. The blues could need some bodies do.

So far really nice experience. Especially the hate out of zone chat. Come to enjoy the game but so many people just logged into the alliance to make drama.

Lol yeah this definitely didn’t change.
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

The 2nd time yeah. I was on from like 3pm to 5pm, dinner, 6pm to 8 or 9 when I got tired.
  • VagabondAngel
    VagabondAngel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its a nefarious plot to finally make all the rock-head die-hard PvPers quit so they can turn Cyrodiil into a war museum and charge crowns for a guided tour.
    ~ Níamh ~
    ~ Ebonheart Pact ~

~ SatGNU - PC - EU ~
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy with the lock, its stopped the behaviour it was designed to stop and all the bad stuff people said would happen hasn't - pops still ok and spread.

The oddity is why all the faction hoppers don't just go to 7 day rather then moan about being in 30day. What's that? 30 day still has the pop that's why you want to stay? In which case folks are happy with alliaance lock if pops ok.

Done. All i care is to stem the flow of cheating and this has dine that.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • kollege14a5
    kollege14a5
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I'm happy with the lock, its stopped the behaviour it was designed to stop and all the bad stuff people said would happen hasn't - pops still ok and spread.

The oddity is why all the faction hoppers don't just go to 7 day rather then moan about being in 30day. What's that? 30 day still has the pop that's why you want to stay? In which case folks are happy with alliaance lock if pops ok.

1. 7 day campaign is dead most of the time(PC EU)
    2. Many ppl only play no cp and there is no NoCp alternative
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

Pretty happy with the fact that the agree on this post took me to forum end game 10 stars. Fitting as I've been so vocal about getting locks :)

Totally Pointless internet points granted, but finally forum end game haha!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The 2nd time yeah. I was on from like 3pm to 5pm, dinner, 6pm to 8 or 9 when I got tired.

Prime time is a poor barometer for measuring what's wrong with faction lock.
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m a newborn ESO player. Coming back from a very long hiatus.

What are y’all talking about? You can no longer bring your cross faction characters into the same campaign? Like not even guest in?
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Prime time is a poor barometer for measuring what's wrong with faction lock.

Why is it poor? Please elaborate. Also, what time frame would you consider a good measurement to pull a decent metric from?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just revert One Tamriel too, we don’t want to see traitors from other Alliances in our PVE instances. /s

Or we could stop making game design decisions based on Cyrodiil loyalty conspiracy theorists.
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should've locked the 7 day campaign and let the "lOcKs aRe gOoD" crowd fight it off in the wastelands while the main campaign remains unlocked.
    EU | PC
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »
    They should've locked the 7 day campaign and let the "lOcKs aRe gOoD" crowd fight it off in the wastelands while the main campaign remains unlocked.

See - i agree with this sentiment. If they majority truely wants locks the majority would also make the switch away from the 30 day unlocked campaign to play with locks.

Sadly i feel zos isn´t willing to experiment in that regard.
    <Noricum>

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneaK wrote: »
    I’m a newborn ESO player. Coming back from a very long hiatus.

What are y’all talking about? You can no longer bring your cross faction characters into the same campaign? Like not even guest in?

The 30 day campaigns for No CP and CP are now faction locked. When you first queue for that campaign, you will get a warning stating this.

What that means is that you can only play characters of that one faction on that faction locked campaign. So if you enter the 30 day CP campaign on an EP character, you will only be able to play your EP characters. You cannot play on your DC or AD characters until the end of the campaign, when you can swap.

You can play on ALL your characters in the unlocked campaigns (below 50, and CP 7-day) or Imperial City, which is now its own campaign. Unfortunately, No CP does not have a 7-day campaign, as ZOS chose not to spin one up.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock is great.
    It is not the perfect but the first step in the right action.
    Do your fight for alliance, that is true war.
    When you effort with alliance mates, you get a bond of victory.
    That is a great experience.
This discussion has been closed.