The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Would ESO AvA be better without large ball groups?

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ender1310 wrote: »
    zyk wrote: »
    Considering that AvAvA Cyrodiil is designed for groups of 2 to 24 (says so right in the groupfinder and which was originally groups of 8 to 24 players), I'd say that large organized raids are exactly who Cyrodiil is intended for.
    Large, organized groups are not necessarily ball groups. My poll is about ball groups specifically.
    If its performance issues that make someone advocate removing a playstyle, I say you'd do better to ask ZOS to fix the game's performance issues so we can ALL play as intended.

If its that you don't like that playstyle...well, we've all got playstyles we don't like and other people do. I dont understand why people think its okay to ask for playstyles to be removed when people enjoy them and are playing as intended.
    I don't have a problem with large groups at all. I love big fights.

However, I think a well-executed ball group is bad for the game in multiple ways. There's the obvious performance impacts, but too often the playstyle isn't ball group vs ball group, it's ball group vs everyone else, and I think everyone else tends to have a bad experience in those fights. I used to enjoy those fights, but no longer because of how the game has evolved.

Anyway, I thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

Then I'm going to suggest you define "ball group".

Because I'm going define the term "large organized raid" as a group of 12 to 24 players running specialized group builds, usually in voice comms, following the calls of their leader, and often running tightly together and executing tactics as a group.

I suspect that my definition is inclusive of your "ball groups".

If so, then I will say again that the large organized raids are playing exactly as intended in Cyrodiil - whether that's raid v raid or raid v PUGs - and indeed exactly as incentivized by Cyrodiil's objectives.

Personally, I enjoy the raid v raid playstyle where my raid fights for objectives and the campaign win. That doesn't make other raid playstyles less valid in my eyes, any more than my dislike of being ganked off my horse or being bombed while repairing a keep door makes gankers or bombers a less valid playstyle that's presumably enjoyable for the people who play gankers and bombers. I don't advocate for those playstyles to be removed - I would advocate for performance issues (or bugs like Snipe desync) to be fixed so everyone can enjoy better gameplay in Cyrodiil.

So...By well executed tactics you are referring to stack on crown. Drop ult when we say. Use rapids when we say. Use heals when we say. My experience of "well executed" group tactics.

The play style is hands down garbage for everyone involved. You have to be extremely result driven in order to play like a "sheeple" following crown around and doing what he says the entire time.

For the rest of us that enjoy fun it's boring as hell to be pew pewing with zero effect as you avoid the path of the "Ball group".

So yes detrimental I think the ability to group should be dropped from Cyrodil. Players should be able to coordinate where and when they need to be at a place and what general tactics to use to siege etc but no visuals such as a crown to follow etc. That would be more realistic experience.

So, you want Cyrodiil, orginially designed for groups of 8 to 24, currently for groups of 2 to 24, to be redesigned because you dont enjoy the large organized raid playstyle?

And your vision is basically unorganized zergs and ...
    Soul_Demon wrote: »
    Ball groups in theory are fine. However, there should be more disadvantages to running in a large ball group and there currently are not. Highly skilled players can combat ball groups with smaller teams, but it's still an uphill battle and pug groups will simply have no chance against an organized ball group, even if they have double their numbers.

Give us more tools to break up ball groups or punish players running those playstyles in some way so that it's still an option, but there is more risk involved.

Have proxy det scale up to 48 players (standard scaling up to 6 players, then exponential scaling up to 48 players). Maybe have other abilities scale up depending on the number of targets hit. We have some options currently, but they are limited.

Fighting a skilled ball group takes far more skill and coordination than is required to run in a ball group and my thought is that it should be the reverse.

The things that make a group better than large mass' of pugs or even multiple small man groups is not coded.....its because they communicate, test often, practice together, formulate strategies and perfect movement. This takes an enormous amount of time, dedication and effort that is dismissed by those being farmed as "sure I could do that, but I am waaaayyyy too good now to do it. So I refuse to do it." As a result they will continue to be farmed and lose.

Every time you attempt to do none of those things and think there should be a "hey use this I win button" you are just fooling yourself. I am sure most of us would not do anything but laugh if this were a football forum where people who didn't speak, work together and put in the time demanded the NFL change the rules so that a random grouping of football players could always win over a professional team playing with some new rule or standard. In effect, that is what is being asked for here.

It's not fine. It looks like crap and isn't realistic. Remove the ability to group in Cyrodil period. Or keep groups at a small group level.

Unorganized zergs and small groups?

Mmm, yeah, I think we have a fundamental disagreement of opinion here.

I enjoy large organized raid play, though personally I found it much more interesting than you describe. Its possible I'm more results-driven, as the results on the battlefield with raid v raid or raid v zerg were fantastic and I'm a "Play the Objective" type player anyway, something the Cyrodiil campaign score rewards and my guild played for the campaign win. You dont enjoy that playstyle, and that's fine with me.

You also think its okay to ask for playstyles to be removed because you don't like them. And I don't.

And you also want ZOS to redesign Cyrodiil to eliminate large groups and I think that's unlikely given that's one of the original premises of the gameplay mode.

So let's agree to disagree, since I doubt there's a fruitful discussion to be had here.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering that AvAvA Cyrodiil is designed for groups of 2 to 24 (says so right in the groupfinder and which was originally groups of 8 to 24 players), I'd say that large organized raids are exactly who Cyrodiil is intended for.
    Large, organized groups are not necessarily ball groups. My poll is about ball groups specifically.
    If its performance issues that make someone advocate removing a playstyle, I say you'd do better to ask ZOS to fix the game's performance issues so we can ALL play as intended.

If its that you don't like that playstyle...well, we've all got playstyles we don't like and other people do. I dont understand why people think its okay to ask for playstyles to be removed when people enjoy them and are playing as intended.

However, I think a well-executed ball group is bad for the game in multiple ways. There's the obvious performance impacts, but too often the playstyle isn't ball group vs ball group, it's ball group vs everyone else, and I think everyone else tends to have a bad experience in those fights. I used to enjoy those fights, but no longer because of how the game has evolved.

Because I'm going define the term "large organized raid" as a group of 12 to 24 players running specialized group builds, usually in voice comms, following the calls of their leader, and often running tightly together and executing tactics as a group.

If so, then I will say again that the large organized raids are playing exactly as intended in Cyrodiil - whether that's raid v raid or raid v PUGs - and indeed exactly as incentivized by Cyrodiil's objectives.

Personally, I enjoy the raid v raid playstyle where my raid fights for objectives and the campaign win. That doesn't make other raid playstyles less valid in my eyes, any more than my dislike of being ganked off my horse or being bombed while repairing a keep door makes gankers or bombers a less valid playstyle that's presumably enjoyable for the people who play gankers and bombers. I don't advocate for those playstyles to be removed - I would advocate for performance issues (or bugs like Snipe desync) to be fixed so everyone can enjoy better gameplay in Cyrodiil.

So...By well executed tactics you are referring to stack on crown. Drop ult when we say. Use rapids when we say. Use heals when we say. My experience of "well executed" group tactics.

The play style is hands down garbage for everyone involved. You have to be extremely result driven in order to play like a "sheeple" following crown around and doing what he says the entire time.

For the rest of us that enjoy fun it's boring as hell to be pew pewing with zero effect as you avoid the path of the "Ball group".

So yes detrimental I think the ability to group should be dropped from Cyrodil. Players should be able to coordinate where and when they need to be at a place and what general tactics to use to siege etc but no visuals such as a crown to follow etc. That would be more realistic experience.

Trust me you don't want grouping to be removed from Cyrodiil because that will make the gap even wider.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭

So, you want Cyrodiil, orginially designed for groups of 8 to 24, currently for groups of 2 to 24, to be redesigned because you dont enjoy the large organized raid playstyle?

Ball groups in theory are fine. However, there should be more disadvantages to running in a large ball group and there currently are not. Highly skilled players can combat ball groups with smaller teams, but it's still an uphill battle and pug groups will simply have no chance against an organized ball group, even if they have double their numbers.

Give us more tools to break up ball groups or punish players running those playstyles in some way so that it's still an option, but there is more risk involved.

Have proxy det scale up to 48 players (standard scaling up to 6 players, then exponential scaling up to 48 players). Maybe have other abilities scale up depending on the number of targets hit. We have some options currently, but they are limited.

Fighting a skilled ball group takes far more skill and coordination than is required to run in a ball group and my thought is that it should be the reverse.

The things that make a group better than large mass' of pugs or even multiple small man groups is not coded.....its because they communicate, test often, practice together, formulate strategies and perfect movement. This takes an enormous amount of time, dedication and effort that is dismissed by those being farmed as "sure I could do that, but I am waaaayyyy too good now to do it. So I refuse to do it." As a result they will continue to be farmed and lose.

Every time you attempt to do none of those things and think there should be a "hey use this I win button" you are just fooling yourself. I am sure most of us would not do anything but laugh if this were a football forum where people who didn't speak, work together and put in the time demanded the NFL change the rules so that a random grouping of football players could always win over a professional team playing with some new rule or standard. In effect, that is what is being asked for here.

It's not fine. It looks like crap and isn't realistic. Remove the ability to group in Cyrodil period. Or keep groups at a small group level.

I enjoy large organized raid play, though personally I found it much more interesting than you describe. Its possible I'm more results-driven, as the results on the battlefield with raid v raid or raid v zerg were fantastic and I'm a "Play the Objective" type player anyway, something the Cyrodiil campaign score rewards and my guild played for the campaign win. You dont enjoy that playstyle, and that's fine with me.

You also think its okay to ask for playstyles to be removed because you don't like them. And I don't.

And you also want ZOS to redesign Cyrodiil to eliminate large groups and I think that's unlikely given that's one of the original premises of the gameplay mode.

So let's agree to disagree, since I doubt there's a fruitful discussion to be had here.

I gave you a thumbs up! I find "organized group play" to be as esthetically unappealing as you can get. Doesn't echo real (I use this term loosely as I am aware that it is a fantasy world but still) combat at all.

However I gave you a thumbs up as I support your enjoyment of this style of play! I don't have that many strong feelings about it to call for it to be nerfed. I am however giving my opinion and an opinion of what could make the games combat "feel" a little more real than a bunch of toons stacked on crown like ants humping some honey.

Imagine like real combat you didn't know where crown is? Get rid of visuals and make voice coms the only real way to follow your leader.

Done. Would solve every bodies problems and allow real skill to take over. You still get your organized game play on discord, and players that find the playstyle boring get a ceiling increase to the skill level it would take to remain organized.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave you a thumbs up! I find "organized group play" to be as esthetically unappealing as you can get. Doesn't echo real (I use this term loosely as I am aware that it is a fantasy world but still) combat at all.

However I gave you a thumbs up as I support your enjoyment of this style of play! I don't have that many strong feelings about it to call for it to be nerfed. I am however giving my opinion and an opinion of what could make the games combat "feel" a little more real than a bunch of toons stacked on crown like ants humping some honey.

Imagine like real combat you didn't know where crown is? Get rid of visuals and make voice coms the only real way to follow your leader.

Done. Would solve every bodies problems and allow real skill to take over. You still get your organized game play on discord, and players that find the playstyle boring get a ceiling increase to the skill level it would take to remain organized.

It would be interesting to do it long term. I've done it for brief spurts, actually, when the crown and group member symbols suddenly turn off in the middle of battle and I'm just following the calls. Its an interesting bug to experience in the middle of a heated keep battle.

I suspect it would take some redesigning for ZOS to actually implement it, however, and it would be a substantial departure from how grouping works in PVE, and they've generally been reluctant to depart too far from that.

In any case, thumbs up for an interesting idea.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can only speak from my experience running with large groups, but I believe they all use a “crown enhancer” addon like Papa Crown (or whatever is most popular now), so ZOS would have to alter their program to disable these if they want to do this.
  • ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have recently removed quite a bit of baiting and bashing from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil, constructive, and on-topic. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frostz417 wrote: »

Ball groups don’t contribute to lag. The 60 man zerg made of tanks and healbots do...

I disagree. While mega zergs may tax the servers worse than a ball group, the lag-to-player ratio for ball groups is much higher, in my experience. Having AotP and it’s horde of hangers-on show up at Glade makes my game absolutely unplayable, but having Drac PvDoor the FD, then run the walls for an hour farming pugs, only creates a lesser level of lag that allows me to stay logged in. In fact, I could always tell when Drac was actively engaging somewhere on the map away from my location by the increasing delay in skill firing, while AotP only crashes my game when I’m actually at the location they’re flooding into.

Tl;dr mega zergs crash my game, but high-efficiency ball groups cause more overall server lag
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian Wheeler has explained the conditions that cause server processing lag over the years. It's clear ball groups are strong contributors as they are very calculation dense. Especially the groups that draw 50+ players before they are wiped. It is a fact that ball groups are server intense compared to other group configurations on a per-player basis.

Among active combatants, ungrouped players who use single target abilities, spread out and don't use proc sets will contribute the least to lag. Blaming "zergs" composed of ungrouped players and small groups for the lag is laughable.

During the event, we had many awesome large scale fights on Vivec without ball groups crashing the party. It took one play session post-event for me to take a couple of weeks off.
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The reality is the game used to work better with multiple ball groups running than it does now with, like, one ball group running. Zenimax's problem.
    Vehemence -- Commander and Raid Lead -- Tri-faction PvP
    Knights Paravant -- Co-GM and Raid Lead -- AD Greyhost

• VioletVience
    VioletVience
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    The recent pvp events performance - as a consequence from ballgrps not being able to play all on the same servers - strongly indicates that pvp would be better without anything resembling that playstyle.

It´s not purely ballgrps but also when you have enough brainbugs in the faction zerg to keep it alive and in relatively tight formation.

All of this needs to go. Aoe buttonmashing (heal-, support and damage abilities) has to be exterminated as a valid strategy for pvp encounters of any kind.
    Just as only clicking left mouse in siege.

Performance is fine if you still playing and Vivec/Sota full at prime time.
    Edited by VioletVience on February 14, 2019 1:53PM
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What isn't 'fine' and what isn't 'realistic'? And for the record a large portion of time, effort, money was put into battlegrounds for those smaller groups. So if you see a realistic way for solo players to thrive on a server with rules such as no emp, AP for ONLY killing blows, max group size of 2-4 and no AP for resources/objectives then I suggest you 'rally' those who would play this- but caution this was attempted long ago with dismal results and apparently the players themselves realized the 1vx and ganking play style relied entirely on those players who pushed objectives- no objective pushing= nothing but others waiting for someone to chase them around trees or sitting in stealth all day with no one passing and no one to bait into chasing.
  • kpittsniperb14_ESO
    kpittsniperb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brian Wheeler has explained the conditions that cause server processing lag over the years. It's clear ball groups are strong contributors as they are very calculation dense. Especially the groups that draw 50+ players before they are wiped. It is a fact that ball groups are server intense compared to other group configurations on a per-player basis.

Among active combatants, ungrouped players who use single target abilities, spread out and don't use proc sets will contribute the least to lag. Blaming "zergs" composed of ungrouped players and small groups for the lag is laughable.

During the event, we had many awesome large scale fights on Vivec without ball groups crashing the party. It took one play session post-event for me to take a couple of weeks off.

And yet they continue to add in even more skills, more proc sets and more calculations for the server to handle but yeah, ball groups.
    Magicka DK-Rowsdowerr
    Tertiary Meat GM
    "they're going to say, there's Daniel and he has 20 people with him, I want to kill him and there's
    40 more behind me."
    "I'm tired of the BS excuses, if you're going to do what you do at least admit what you're doing"
    YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    You can blame zerg which chase one player, but ball groups just killing pvp, bringing stupid farm to unorginized players, dealing lags, guild stacking hordes, ignores any damage. Those who enjoying just like to farm weak people.
    Also zerg vs zerg is fun, even guild zerg vs pug zerg is fun. Because all have chances, and there can be random things which will affect the final fight result. But when you have ball group vs any (except other ball group) it's 99% wipe due to not fair combat.

Again I don't have any probs with outnumbered groups, but spamming heal bots, rapids, TS, timing ults, effective optimal trained ball group is a bull..t for everyone except them. Noone have fun and they just forcing ppl to quit pvp or even leave game.

We have very bad situation where battlegrounds are full of premades, and campagins are full of lags. guild stacking and ball groups.
    Edited by ruikkarikun on February 17, 2019 9:20PM
  • Edirt_seliv
    Edirt_seliv
    ✭✭✭
    No. Organized pvp raiding has been the only appealing gameplay this tittle has had since launch. Every time i want to smallscale i log off and play a better smallscale game.
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso ava would be better with better servers and competent people running the EU servers. Dont blame the players for the faults of the company providing the game
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest issue with ball groups (in the current meta) is that ball groups incentivize boring play patterns.

Ball group farming is probably 60% of what ball groups do across the day, perhaps less at prime time. Say a ball group takes a home keep and farms PuGs till they get run off. Baring another ball group coming to defend (rarely do as ball group versus ball group isn't great AP) it'll be done by PuGs and solos. If the PuGs and solos manage to wipe a sufficient portion of the group the group was "zerged down" and if not the ball group runs away to try to farm with more heat on them. To farm you do need heat but with enough heat you'll get zerged down.

Ball group vs ball group is actually more interesting but given my experience at the very highest 10% of the action a ball group sees is vs another ball. I'm sure those that find ball group play fun would get the most enjoyment out of this part. But the challenges of these fights are sometimes actually lessened as there are limits to the tactics to counter each other (that solos/PuGs could also use) that result in pretty silly fights. The same tools solos/PuGs could use to counter ball groups could be used by the bll groups themselves to better effect. Performance is an issue here.

Ball vs huge zerg right now is maybe 20% of what occurs as the main faction stacking zergs are either disconnectionly powerful or very painful to fight as no skills work. Performance could help here actually make it so balls might fight zergs. Kite zergs sure, that happens, but a small man can do the same thing with 4 players and even 1 person with a hilarious build tied up 20 odd doing the same one night.

Ball group farming is one of the only ways to get large-ish scale fights during a fair portion of the day and usually ends up being feel bad for PuGs and solos no matter the end result and eventually a feel bad for the ball group as they (cruelly) get zerged down. Zerging down a ball group is the only sane response if you're a PuG or a solo trying to play the map. A solo does more preventing or more often merely identifying that the ball group has rezzed than by sportingly letting them go free to farm at the next keep/outpost.

The ball groups during most of the day do not play the map and mostly farm. At faction stack time faction stacks tend to win by lag or by force.

All that said ball groups aren't the only way to play extremely organized AvA. Organized guilds would adapt to being forced out of their balls. They'd survive being forced to descend their balls to tactics that don't require incorporeal bodies and a lack of friendly fire. Hopefully and arguably it would result in more intricate fights.
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idc either way
    at a place nobody knows
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    Guilds who force their members to run certain builds are the ones making their members ineffective, not large zergs. Zerg surfers can create their own build and make sure they are effective in battlegrounds and Cyrodiil, whereas guilds with predefined roles' members are completely defenseless when separated from the group. As long as AP is around, these guilds will continue to be ineffective until they can stop making excuses and make the necessary adjustments, or fade from existence as more players catch onto the current era of armies dominating in Cyrodiil (Vivec).

Once groups get over 24 it becomes a mess. Healing spring/vigor spam is common. Being shielded by all the AoE HoTs. People disconnecting when they approach you so you don't face an even numbered force.

I run a blob buster build but it only works if I am on the server. Once I disconnect the battle is over for me. Disconnect attrition is a lousy tactic to win battles. If it didn't exist there might be something to blob wars. As long as it is a thing cyrodill prime-time is mostly creating and fighting the most epic battles. AoE lag attrition is a completely different battle and a completely different warfare separate from that consistent with Elder Scrolls lore. I very much doubt the imperials took cyrodill by causing the altmer to disconnect on approach in the 2nd age(I'm not sure what happened when just stating whatever as a case scenario).
  • Anrose
    Anrose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »
    Ahtu wrote: »
    Guilds who force their members to run certain builds are the ones making their members ineffective, not large zergs. Zerg surfers can create their own build and make sure they are effective in battlegrounds and Cyrodiil, whereas guilds with predefined roles' members are completely defenseless when separated from the group. As long as AP is around, these guilds will continue to be ineffective until they can stop making excuses and make the necessary adjustments, or fade from existence as more players catch onto the current era of armies dominating in Cyrodiil (Vivec).

Once groups get over 24 it becomes a mess. Healing spring/vigor spam is common. Being shielded by all the AoE HoTs. People disconnecting when they approach you so you don't face an even numbered force.

I run a blob buster build but it only works if I am on the server. Once I disconnect the battle is over for me. Disconnect attrition is a lousy tactic to win battles. If it didn't exist there might be something to blob wars. As long as it is a thing cyrodill prime-time is mostly creating and fighting the most epic battles. AoE lag attrition is a completely different battle and a completely different warfare separate from that consistent with Elder Scrolls lore. I very much doubt the imperials took cyrodill by causing the altmer to disconnect on approach in the 2nd age(I'm not sure what happened when just stating whatever as a case scenario).

Numidium was a literal lag switch. #ThanksTiberSeptim
  • MinarasLaure
    MinarasLaure
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put a limit of same ult people can slot based on the group numbers.
    Group of 4 to 6 - one only etc etc
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Alright, let's look at some systems which influence the meta in favour of ball groups.

1.) Smart Healing
    Makes AoE heals far more effective in groups exceeding the heal's AoE cap.
    Makes all heals more effective compared to offensive single target abilities when used in a large group that makes targeting difficult.

2.) Limited bar space/single purpose skills
    Gives a massive advantage to large groups who stick close enough together to support each other directly at all times.
    Dramatically lower effectiveness of any player trying to be effective in different settings, thus pitting ball groups against unprepared enemies.

3.) Scaling support sets/skills
    Provide an inherently higher efficiency to specialized builds in ball groups than a small or spread out group would receive even when using the same builds.

4.) Power disparity between PBAoEs and ranged AoEs / effective splash damage being tied to killing blows
    Gives an advantage to groups sticking together in one spot in order to deal AoE damage, rather than spreading out.
    Diminishes the defensive disadvantage against AoEs created by stacking up.

5.) Removal of ground effects via Negate
    Creates a situation in which negatable ground based AoEs don't function well as area denial, giving an advantage to groups centered around PBAoE (which stack to deal damage), as you don't need to stack players to stack ground effects.

6.) Earthgore
    Carries anyone, but more efficient in stacked large groups.

But yeah, these things aren't coded, really. They're more a result of the enormous amount of time, dedication and effort put in by ball groups.

@ToRelax

The points you mentioned are all valid but I think it's potentially misleading to say these systems favour ball groups.

In terms of Smart Healing it definetly makes stacked Healing Springs more powerful but it's more of a nice bonus. The issue is that Healing Springs is way too strong for its cost. Even if it would be distributed randomly it would provide enough healing. If one 1/4 of the group are healers you still receive about 8-12k heal per second if it was random.

But I think we have a different understand of why, and when ball groups stack. I have been leading top-tier ball groups for about 3 years on a daily basis so I hope you'll consider my following points:
    To me it really isn't about sticking together to deal AoE damage on the same location, or to maximize the benefit of some support skills/sets, or anything like that.
    Being a ball group is all about stacking up the enemies while avoiding damage by constantly moving around, using line-of-sight, pulling enemies into some choke. It hardly matters how strong ranged AoEs are when the enemies can't target you because you are standing around a corner. And in order to move around quickly, it is the best to stay as tight as possible.
    When the enemies are stacked, you go in for one big push, try to root/stun so you can kill them all in one sweep.

The benefit of this playstyle is that it is independent of the amount of enemies. You can take on 100 (bad) pugs with an 8 man group because by stacking up and pulling around a corner, those enemies can't attack you. And when they eventually stack up in a good position you can go in with your ultimates, and thanks to VD it doesn't matter if it's 10 enemies stacked there, or 100. Of course realistically it will require many pushes and you won't "win" because they'll res each other faster than you kill them, but it's still fun.
    If you were to fight as a spread group, you can't utilize line of sight effectively, so you actually get attacked by all the enemies, leaving you in a defensive position that you can't sustain for long.

In a fight between 2 ball groups it's actually common to spread out a lot to avoid taking aoe damage. In this kind of fight it's usually the group losing that stacks up first and gets punished for that with an ultdrop.
    Edited by Sanct16 on February 20, 2019 4:13PM
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »

Alright, let's look at some systems which influence the meta in favour of ball groups.

1.) Smart Healing
    Makes all heals more effective compared to offensive single target abilities when used in a large group that makes targeting difficult.

Gives a massive advantage to large groups who stick close enough together to support each other directly at all times.
    Dramatically lower effectiveness of any player trying to be effective in different settings, thus pitting ball groups against unprepared enemies.

Provide an inherently higher efficiency to specialized builds in ball groups than a small or spread out group would receive even when using the same builds.

4.) Power disparity between PBAoEs and ranged AoEs / effective splash damage being tied to killing blows
    Gives an advantage to groups sticking together in one spot in order to deal AoE damage, rather than spreading out.

Creates a situation in which negatable ground based AoEs don't function well as area denial, giving an advantage to groups centered around PBAoE (which stack to deal damage), as you don't need to stack players to stack ground effects.

6.) Earthgore

But yeah, these things aren't coded, really. They're more a result of the enormous amount of time, dedication and effort put in by ball groups.

@ToRelax

The points you mentioned are all valid but I think it's potentially misleading to say these systems favour ball groups.

In terms of Smart Healing it definetly makes stacked Healing Springs more powerful but it's more of a nice bonus. The issue is that Healing Springs is way too strong for its cost. Even if it would be distributed randomly it would provide enough healing. If one 1/4 of the group are healers you still receive about 8-12k heal per second if it was random.

But I think we have a different understand of why, and when ball groups stack. I have been leading top-tier ball groups for about 3 years on a daily basis so I hope you'll consider my following points:
    To me it really isn't about sticking together to deal AoE damage on the same location, or to maximize the benefit of some support skills/sets, or anything like that.
    Being a ball group is all about stacking up the enemies while avoiding damage by constantly moving around, using line-of-sight, pulling enemies into some choke. It hardly matters how strong ranged AoEs are when the enemies can't target you because you are standing around a corner. And in order to move around quickly, it is the best to stay as tight as possible.
    When the enemies are stacked, you go in for one big push, try to root/stun so you can kill them all in one sweep.

The benefit of this playstyle is that it is independent of the amount of enemies. You can take on 100 (bad) pugs with an 8 man group because by stacking up and pulling around a corner, those enemies can't attack you. And when they eventually stack up in a good position you can go in with your ultimates, and thanks to VD it doesn't matter if it's 10 enemies stacked there, or 100. Of course realistically it will require many pushes and you won't "win" because they'll res each other faster than you kill them, but it's still fun.
    If you were to fight as a spread group, you can't utilize line of sight effectively, so you actually get attacked by all the enemies, leaving you in a defensive position that you can't sustain for long.

In a fight between 2 ball groups it's actually common to spread out a lot to avoid taking aoe damage. In this kind of fight it's usually the group losing that stacks up first and gets punished for that with an ultdrop.

100% agree on your Healing Springs summary. Ideal solution IMO to adapt it for PvP but not ruin PvE content would be to add a stacking 50% cost increase multiplier, a la Streak/Roll Dodge, for every time you recast it within 3 or 4 seconds. Penalize the spam, but retain the potency so Zeni doesn't need to fully rebalance half of the game's PvE encounters.

Obviously wouldn't solve for everything, and if people continue to stack 70+ in one spot all night it won't matter much anyway, but it'd be a step in the right direction. If ZOS wants to force players to adapt the way their groups fight, both Healing *and* damage skills need to be investigated. Not just one or the other.
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a simple 20% increase on cost would be a better solution than the streak-treatment.

I think the easiest way to fix the game would be by removing soul gem resses in PvP completly. The main problem is that fights never end because dead players get ressed faster than they die.
    It would result in fights being over much quicker and it would become more viable to fight open-field outnumbered.

Sadly it probably won't ever happen.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    darkblue5 wrote: »
    Zerging down a ball group is the only sane response if you're a PuG or a solo trying to play the map.

One to 4 players can drastically change the course of a fight against a ballgroup. Pugs just need to stop spamming light attacks, dawnbreaker, leap, meteor and start using large aoe ultimates like fire storm and negate combined together.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a simple 20% increase on cost would be a better solution than the streak-treatment.

I think the easiest way to fix the game would be by removing soul gem resses in PvP completly. The main problem is that fights never end because dead players get ressed faster than they die.
    It would result in fights being over much quicker and it would become more viable to fight open-field outnumbered.

Sadly it probably won't ever happen.

I think that increasing the cost sounds nice for the moment being but totally useless long term if they do the right thing and finally adjust the CPs system to restore some kind of balance in the game.

Any changes to abilities, passives and even races imo are all a waste of time if we don't address the biggest problem first.
    Edited by frozywozy on February 20, 2019 7:11PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think PvE would be so much better if these ball groups weren't running around trials all coordinated and such with their gear and comms, running down less competent NPC's and bosses, it just ruins it.
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:
    Pact Corsair- Breton Magblade Former Emperor BWB Prolly Stole your scroll and bombed you
    Lack of Aoe caps: Prolly bombed u
    Neraz Gulio- Stamplar- Former Empress BWB
    Paints-Her-Face - prolly painted your face
    Zealot of the Great Sun- Blazeplar, frmr Emp Vivec

• frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes.
    You can blame zerg which chase one player, but ball groups just killing pvp, bringing stupid farm to unorginized players, dealing lags, guild stacking hordes, ignores any damage. Those who enjoying just like to farm weak people.
    Also zerg vs zerg is fun, even guild zerg vs pug zerg is fun. Because all have chances, and there can be random things which will affect the final fight result. But when you have ball group vs any (except other ball group) it's 99% wipe due to not fair combat.

Again I don't have any probs with outnumbered groups, but spamming heal bots, rapids, TS, timing ults, effective optimal trained ball group is a bull..t for everyone except them. Noone have fun and they just forcing ppl to quit pvp or even leave game.

We have very bad situation where battlegrounds are full of premades, and campagins are full of lags. guild stacking and ball groups.

So what you are saying is that ballgroups should probably stop using their knowledges of the game mechanics and stop running in group of 12-16 to give a chance to unorganized / new players to catch up?
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

• Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s much easier running 16 than say 8.
    Especially when those 16 have the ability to run more group sets/earthgores/aoe healers/aoe damage/rapid bots.
    You just remove things that players should have to do themselves when in a larger group.
    Snare immunity and speed? Here’s 2 guys spamming rapids on you?

Healing? You have dedicated 3-4healers with multiple springs on the ground and everyone in 30k *** minimum. With earthgores to pick up the slack.

Sustaining? Spam equilibrium and just get healed instantly by the springs and safety net of 16 players balled so targeting one is much harder.

Play 4-8 and you are held accountable for all of those things yourself. Each and everyone of your members has to hold up more weight while fighting the same or more ratios of enemies.

It is far easier to hop into a larger group.
    That’s also why you don’t see said players in bg, small groups, solo v x (not zerg surfing), dueling.
    They are less competent when stripped of these inherent advantages a ball /raid gets
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    It’s much easier running 16 than say 8.
    Especially when those 16 have the ability to run more group sets/earthgores/aoe healers/aoe damage/rapid bots.
    You just remove things that players should have to do themselves when in a larger group.
    Snare immunity and speed? Here’s 2 guys spamming rapids on you?

Healing? You have dedicated 3-4healers with multiple springs on the ground and everyone in 30k *** minimum. With earthgores to pick up the slack.

Sustaining? Spam equilibrium and just get healed instantly by the springs and safety net of 16 players balled so targeting one is much harder.

Play 4-8 and you are held accountable for all of those things yourself. Each and everyone of your members has to hold up more weight while fighting the same or more ratios of enemies.

It is far easier to hop into a larger group.
    That’s also why you don’t see said players in bg, small groups, solo v x (not zerg surfing), dueling.
    They are less competent when stripped of these inherent advantages a ball /raid gets

I play all types of pvp content. There are plenty of other people who play in larger groups and can hold their own solo after swapping to an appropriate build for different content, and there are people like you described who only have time for/just choose to specialize in one type of gameplay.

I thought I saw an animosity video featuring a grp of 12 recently....watch out that's awfully close to 16.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1.) Smart Healing

6.) Earthgore

ToRelax

@Sanct16

You make a fair point on the incentive to run as a ball group there.
    At 8-6 players the playstyle really starts falling apart against sophisticated small groups, lacking the systemic efficiency of a larger ball group. So I can hardly see ball groups of that size as problematic, they don't really stop anyone from playing differently as long as they're organized and skilled enough to pull it off. That's really my main angle, trying to make sure you can effectively fight other groups without being practically forced into this very specific (and for me, not very interesting) playstyle.
    But for larger groups, I have to admit I don't know how effectively you might be able to mitigate damage via LOS in this manner against a similarly sized, spread out group. I would assume with the rapids change it will get more difficult, while simultaneously losing some skill/set efficiency. But I can't predict how this would look like if the other advantages were mitigated. Keep in mind this is assuming the opponents aren't just unorganized PUGs or random players but skilled players with their own plan on winning the engagement.

I'm also very much with you on the rezzing.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU