The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PSA : A simple trick to help reduce lag

• preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'll be ..
    here's 100 internet points, well deserved ! Thanks for the tip !
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope one way or another they acknowledge this. If this ends up being the solution to all this crazy for console players, ZOS just saved money on hardware, IT, software, manpower, etc. the list goes on and on.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any other PC players who've tried this and seen noticeable improvements in CPU usage? This is mostly becoming anecdotal reports of things seeming better (or unchanged).
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    Are there any other PC players who've tried this and seen noticeable improvements in CPU usage? This is mostly becoming anecdotal reports of things seeming better (or unchanged).

@Grimm13 in the 2nd post said it lowered his cpu usage by 20%. Thats *** huge, IMO.
    XBox One - NA
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swomp23 wrote: »

@Grimm13 in the 2nd post said it lowered his cpu usage by 20%. Thats *** huge, IMO.

Yeah, that's one. Just looking for more reports like that.
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PS4; haven't tried but will tonight. I can actually see this working though. I seem to recall no-so-long-ago that whenever anyone joined or left a guild I was in I would actually freeze for a split second. It was incredibly annoying when a guildmaster went on a roster cleaning spree. It also happened no matter when I was but seemed worse when I was in Cyrodiil. Definitely gonna try this.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »
    I'm on PS4; haven't tried but will tonight. I can actually see this working though. I seem to recall no-so-long-ago that whenever anyone joined or left a guild I was in I would actually freeze for a split second. It was incredibly annoying when a guildmaster went on a roster cleaning spree. It also happened no matter when I was but seemed worse when I was in Cyrodiil. Definitely gonna try this.

This. I was in a super important battle in Cyrodiil and my trade guild GM started booting 20 plus people. Lag on top of lag.

I have to try this on PS4. Generally, I don’t care what guildies are doing unless I want a fast travel somewhere.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭

Me too, tbh. But it's looking encouraging so far.
    XBox One - NA
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we do the same with friends list? Isn’t it the same interface as guilds?
    PvP needs more love.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very encouraging
  • reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's been a problem this whole time or maybe instigated during this fix from August: "Fixed an issue where guild member locations would not update when actively looking at the guild roster."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5372949/#Comment_5372949

Probably unrelated, but there was an issue where the game could freeze if someone left one of your guilds. There was a fix for this issue, but I cannot find it.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    reoskit wrote: »
    I wonder if it's been a problem this whole time or maybe instigated during this fix from August: "Fixed an issue where guild member locations would not update when actively looking at the guild roster."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5372949/#Comment_5372949

Probably unrelated, but there was an issue where the game could freeze if someone left one of your guilds. There was a fix for this issue, but I cannot find it.

Interesting. I wasn't playing pvp at that time, so I can't say if it was better before. If this is the cause, it's a huge overlook to ALWAYS update the damn roster and not just when you're actively looking at it....
    XBox One - NA
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I live in a place with very few people (other than summers or hunting seasons), and the cleanest air and water in the US. In the long run, works for me.

I want to go to there.

Me too. I'd just roll skyrim and rarely wear pants
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭

Very encouraging

Someone passed the word on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/a3c24j/performance_what_do_you_guys_make_of_this/

A couple of people seem to confirm it works for them too. However, most of them are also on consoles.
    Edited by Swomp23 on December 5, 2018 6:20PM
    XBox One - NA
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very encouraging

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/a3c24j/performance_what_do_you_guys_make_of_this/

A couple of people seem to confirm it works for them too. However, most of them are also on consoles.

If people on reddit say that it works then it probably doesn’t work.

Is the thread downvoted? If it gets downvoted then it’s probably true / accurate.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• RobDaCool
    RobDaCool
    ✭✭✭
    As I am not in a guild, guess I'll just live with the lag lol
    PS4 NA -RobdacoolV2
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

Very encouraging

If people on reddit say that it works then it probably doesn’t work.

Is the thread downvoted? If it gets downvoted then it’s probably true / accurate.

Lol the only reason it would be downvoted there is because it doesn't include some selfie of their new outfit.

No but seriously, go try it yourself and tell us how it works. If you want, you can even test it with a snipe build while eating chicken wings with your other hand, so it's win/win.
    XBox One - NA
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Disabled shadows, visibility range down, disabled effects, only basic add-ons on - no FPS issues last time I played in Cyrodiil... But it was month or more ago.

And your game also looks like TES: Arena.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the info, everyone! Just wanted to let you know we've seen this thread and looked into the claims, and we can confirm there is an issue here. We're actually working on getting a fix tested now, and if everything passes, we'll get it published as soon as we can.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this work for pc?
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG you can't push out a fix before I can test this! lol
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, everyone! Just wanted to let you know we've seen this thread and looked into the claims, and we can confirm there is an issue here. We're actually working on getting a fix tested now, and if everything passes, we'll get it published as soon as we can.

How sad that some random dude was able to help fix something ZO$ struggled with for years. Good job guys.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, since I started playing pvp about 1 month ago, I've never been able to rush the flags in a defended keep because the game would aways drop to atrocious fps, crash, and send me back to Xbox's home screen. I also had many crashes in medium-sized fights outside of keeps. I have a basic Xbox 1, with the game installed directly on it's hard drive, so it might be the most fragile setup, but this situation has pulled me back from Cyro to a point where I was only playing BGs.

All this until last night, where I could'nt queue in any BG or dungeon, because the damn group finder was bugged again. So I decided to hop in Cyro, to begin to farm my tier 1 reward for the month. Someone in my random group told us that a great way to reduce lag was to type your own name in the search tab of the guild roster. It reduced cpu usage or wathever. I thought this was a load of bs, but I tried it anyway, since it doesn't cost much. Well, believe it or not, after that I was able to rush the flags in 3 heavily defended keeps without too many lag spikes and no crash at all. Well, not too many lag spikes for this game anyway...

I know it's just 1 session and it doesn't mean much, but all 3 pops were locked and there was a lot of people, so it's pretty encouraging for now. Try it yourself and tell us if it helps!

@ZOS_BrianWheeler

Like I said on my older PC this reduced my CPU load by 20%, in 5 Guilds all pretty much maxed and active. Prior I would port into a Dungeon and people were already to the first npcs. Since I have been first or close to. Guildmates I was running with started using this and they also found it helped with similar results.

In cities that are busy or with duels I would get lag spikes prior. Since those have been smooth going.
    My%20Older%20PC%20Stats.png
    Old I know. It may not fix it all but it sure helps.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Now conspiracy theory that EP has kept this secret and explains how every crash at Chalman results in an EP win. :p
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks a lot. Once it's all sorted out, it'd be great to know how much of a drain this was and any other details that can be provided. Might not be a bad idea to look into other background systems like this that could be fast performance increases (since there's already a fix being tested, I assume this was "fast")
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Swomp23
    Well done, and thank you!

Posts like yours deserves huge kudos.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • JTET24
    JTET24
    Wow, OP needs to be hired right away lol
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This seems like a win... The forums need a win today, pretty bad. Let it be a win.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • laereal
    laereal
    ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this info OP :)
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »

How sad that some random dude was able to help fix something ZO$ struggled with for years. Good job guys.

Implying zos was actively seeking the source of the problem...

*inserttrollfacethingyhere*
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd