Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

What were your newbie mistakes?

• Gorgoneus
    Gorgoneus
    ✭✭✭
    Only one, but grevious mistake - game purchase.
    Options
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    Datthaw wrote: »
    I deconstructed a few nirn items because my research was full and I figured I would find more...I didnt. Luckily I was in a guild later on that crafted me all the nirn items I needed for the mat cost.

^ teach @casparian not to be a noob, please

I love this thread, though I wish I could re-read the original one from way back when. A lot of people around here have played so long they can't even remember all the dumb crap they used to do :(

E X P O S E D
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
    Options
  • Puzzlenuts
    Puzzlenuts
    ✭✭✭
    Playing overland content solo with a tank not really knowing that I was a tank at the time or even what a tank was. Took me forever to clear a delve unless some came along to help me kill things.
    Options
  • Broyston
    Broyston
    ✭✭✭
    As above, playing through at launch as a tank, and taking 10 mins to kill 2 mobs. Also blowing through my magicka and stamina by applying the same type of DOT to a target, because nowhere did it say that it just replaces the previous cast, I thought they would stack. In fact, I am not sure that is clear to new players even now.
    Options
  • SpearDusk
    SpearDusk
    ✭✭✭
    I never focused on aoe & DOT skills or damage, cause I thought there where 2 kinds of DD, burst DDs and DOT DDs
    Options
  • meatboll
    meatboll
    I used to play on NA server with 300+ping for a year, cuz i don't know how to change server.
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all starts with character generation. There's nothing there to tell you that only certain races are optimal, and that they have pre-assigned roles as tanks, healers, or DD's. And then you can stick with the first weapon style you find - the two-handed sword. You can assign attribute points regardless of role. You can pick the wrong morph.

No wonder they added the level-up advisor to tell you that you got it all wrong. Not to make the most of what you have, but "respec to what I tell you".
    Puzzlenuts wrote: »
    Playing overland content solo with a tank not really knowing that I was a tank at the time or even what a tank was. Took me forever to clear a delve unless some came along to help me kill things.

And even if you get it right, building a tank makes the solo part of the game tedious. Building a healer can make it fatal.
    Options
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    My mistake was that I did my first 4 vMSA runs with a bow only with no rotation. Switched to a magicka sorc and imagine my surprise (nightblade is better but not as easy)
    Options
  • londonvictoria
    Spending a fortune teleporting all over the place, rather than just teleporting to a guildie for free and then using the shrine to go where i want.

I've been playing a month and only just realised it's free to teleport from wayshrine to wayshrine.
    I have also recently learned about porting for free to Guildies.
    What I hadn't done until reading your post, was put two-and-two together and come up with teleporting to any guildie and then using THAT wayshrine to get where I want... FANTASTIC!
    Options
  • griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would queue as a DPS as a sword and board Stam Dk for dungeons...had no idea what I was doing.
    PS4 NA
    Options
  • gnarlyvandal
    gnarlyvandal
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    I kept on restarting and making a new character and deleting the ones I wasn't using. After 4 years just finally got to level 50. Wish I knew how easy it was to respect and kept my character the very first time I made him.

I’ve seen you post this in other threads. It’s made me lol and cry but in all honesty, just wanna give you a hug xD the facepalm moment when you must’ve realised
    Options
  • Hostee
    Hostee
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased a bloody Mara recipe from a guild store for 100k.... only had 150k to my name and thought it was a good deal
    Options
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed that a corner of a keep was already at like 70% so I suggested that my group siege there... it wasn't until we had the whole thing demolished that somebody pointed out you can't get into a keep that way... :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
    Options
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not starting crafting soon enough.
    Not doing raids sooner.
    Not rolling a sorc first.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2290+
    Options
  • flynn420
    flynn420
    ✭✭✭
    It took me a little while to realize destroying from inventory is not the same as deconstructing gear at a crafting table lol

Also speaking of deconstructing, I cringe when I think about all the things I deconed which probably shouldnt have been deconed..."i need to gather more columbine and need inventory space, best to trash this cipher thingy so I can collect more materials"
    Options
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing the game.
    Options
  • SenorCrouch
    SenorCrouch
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest newbie mistake I ever made was 2 years ago now during the New Life Festival when I first began my ESO adventure. I thought the New Life Festival was cool and I managed to get every achievement except obtaining the legendary Recipe: Hissmir Fish-Eye Rye. I was in Daggerfall when a player was in zone chat saying he was selling the recipe for 15k gold. I had just enough gold for that. I messaged him and he said sure. I met him at the wayshrine. We traded. I gave him 15k, he gave me Hissmir Fish-Eye Rye. He promptly went offline right after. I got soooo scammed. That prick gave me the food item, not the recipe. I wised up very quickly after that. So annoying that people do that.
    "What's the cross roads of Alessia Castle? I am trying to get pizza delivered."
    Options
  • Hokiewa
    Hokiewa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Itacira wrote: »
    Didn't understand that teleporting from shrine to shrine was free, so always paid for teleportation anyway and didn't bother reaching a shrine

So much wasted gold I spent doing this.......along with not porting to guild members
    Options
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, my fellow guildies are in places I don't want to go, like, ever, so that's not much of an option for me. They're way too much of thrill seekers. :)
    Hokiewa wrote: »
    Didn't understand that teleporting from shrine to shrine was free, so always paid for teleportation anyway and didn't bother reaching a shrine

So much wasted gold I spent doing this.......along with not porting to guild members

Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I did the Wailing Prison I got to the end, completely missed the 'Press E to jump' note and just threw myself off the edge when the Prophet said jump and ended up both dead and still in Coldharbour. But that was in the beta, I think they fixed it later so you couldn't do that.

Oh, and dying about 15 times before I finally accepted that a) there wasn't a patch of slaughterfish somewhere in the sea, they were everywhere and b) you couldn't fight them.

Other than that it's boring things like sharing the crafts out between my characters (2 each), then realising I'd need 3 copies of each motif and writs took much longer because I had to switch characters and get each one into town. I made a dedicated crafter instead and he just lives in a town doing all my crafting. (Plus he's an Imperial so I didn't need to buy that motif.)

I also got a character stuck in Cyrodiil for about 3 days before I worked out how to leave. (I kept looking for an option in the Alliance War menu since that's how I got in and how you get out in other games I've played.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Knaxia
    Knaxia
    ✭✭✭
    Having a separate crafter for each profession; it made most sense that way, plus it allowed me to match them to each character concept...not realising that there would be motifs, and achievements which really call for One Crafter to Rule Them All.

I don't see that as an issue. Back when the game was released, it was nearly impossible to have 1 character for all craft + make it a viable playable character. There just wasn't enough skill points in the whole game to have everything maxed out. I had that issue with my nightblade being enchanting/medium/WW, my templar having light armor/WW for staves and my DK for blacksmithing. Now I had/have to redo all researches on my main because of writs and motifs...
    Edited by Knaxia on June 29, 2018 4:00PM
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent 2+ years buying stacks of repair kits one at a time, not realizing there was a contextual menu to buy large amounts with one click...
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a single dagger as my main weapon for a long time.
    Options
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My first toon was an Altmer Stamblade (D'oh!). No idea what I was doing with it, and it was a wretched build. I played the heck out of that thing until I deleted it to join an all DC guild.

The funniest thing (to me at least) was somehow blundering my way into Cyrodil by myself, with no understanding of what it was or how to navigate it, and ended up completely lost and with no idea how to get out. I wandered around in there for about a week, killing wolves and picking flowers until I found the Sewer Entrance, where I promptly got myself lost for another week. I finally got tired of getting my butt kicked over and over and Googled my way out of my predicament. Now i rarely leave that place, willingly. I have no idea how I wasn't killed over and over by other players during that time.

Super derp.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
    Options
  • Jules_Berlin
    Jules_Berlin
    Soul Shriven
    That's simple: fighting a boss with worn-down armor, nur without food. Wondered why this guy was soooo hard.
    Options
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭

I would dutifully go to a wayshrine then click map to find a place I wanted to go then pay to go !!!! Took me weeks to realise you could click the wayshrine !
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
    Options
  • ZOS_Holden
    ZOS_Holden
    Community Rep
    Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing! We love to see the community come together and compare notes on the less than informed and sometimes a little embarrassing things we've done at one point or another. It's nice to see that we all share the same growing pains when deciding to take on a new MMO and that, at the end of the day, we can all have a good laugh.
    Edited by ZOS_Holden on June 29, 2018 4:44PM
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    runagate wrote: »
    Datthaw wrote: »
    I deconstructed a few nirn items because my research was full and I figured I would find more...I didnt. Luckily I was in a guild later on that crafted me all the nirn items I needed for the mat cost.

^ teach @casparian not to be a noob, please

I love this thread, though I wish I could re-read the original one from way back when. A lot of people around here have played so long they can't even remember all the dumb crap they used to do :(

E X P O S E D

Eww casp, your sload is showing. @runagate teach casp how to properly dress himself.
    Edited by Datthaw on June 29, 2018 5:23PM
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I played in first person for about a year...

Haha! I did the same. Funny thing now is moving around in first person makes me feel sick.

My first toon was somewhat of a stam/mag dps hybrid.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to level with heavy armor and 1 hand sword + shield skills. I thought it looked cool back when I started playing XD
    Options