Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

What were your newbie mistakes?

• Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I waited too long to join a guild. I could've had more fun and fewer headaches from the start.
    forever stuck in combat
    Options
  • Jack_Of_Shades
    Jack_Of_Shades
    ✭✭✭
    I played in first person for about a year...

Oddly, I only play in 3rd person when using a templar. Lol
    Options
  • Shadowmaster
    Shadowmaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    was unaware of cc break for the first few MONTHS of beta
    Options
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I purposely avoided any guides or previews of any kind when I started the game - that was in open beta in 2014. A big part of the fun for me was going to be exploring and working the game out by myself - no help from the internet.

So I guess my first run through was a whole series of newbie mistakes. I'm sure I was great comic relief for a lot of players. I do miss the sense of discovery now though.

One of the most memorable fails was wandering around in Cyro for the first time - I did know it was PVP but I was thinking " Damn this place is totally deserted "

My first toon was AD and I managed to get as far as the wall of a red keep....
    Edited by AndyMac on July 8, 2018 10:04PM
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
    Options
  • Rogue_Ghost
    Rogue_Ghost
    ✭✭✭
    Just made a new "newbie" mistake last night and I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself for it later.

After all this time, I just began fulfilling crafting writs last night. Seemed easy enough, and a good way to generate additional income in the game for a little bit of work. Not bad.

The first crafting writ I do is for staves. Simple.

3 - Normal Inferno Staves.
    3 - Normal Ice Staves.
    3 - Normal Restoration Staves.

Off to work I go... Not realizing that the game likes to default to using mimic stones...

I used them all before I realized what was going on...

Oops.
    "Death smiles at us all. All one can do, is smile back."
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fairly certain I haven't made all the newbie mistakes possible yet. I might revisit this thread in a year....
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just made a new "newbie" mistake last night and I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself for it later.

After all this time, I just began fulfilling crafting writs last night. Seemed easy enough, and a good way to generate additional income in the game for a little bit of work. Not bad.

3 - Normal Ice Staves.

Off to work I go... Not realizing that the game likes to default to using mimic stones...

Oops.

That writ is also for 3 of each of Inferno, Ice and Lightning staves, not Restoration like your post says. I hope you at least got that right while crafting.
    Mimic Stones are thankfully not the default setting either or I would be out of those too. It's just very easy to accidentally use them.

I still make crafting mistakes by crafting the wrong level of item or cloth instead of leather for clothing writs.
    Options
  • Ahnog
    Ahnog
    ✭✭
    Some how in scanning the instructions I missed that there are heavy attacks with staff and that they restored magicaka. Learned about it the had way, in a dungeon, when we finished a guy asked me why I wasn't using heavy attacks. I didn't know what he was talking about.
    Edited by Ahnog on July 9, 2018 4:11AM
    Ahnog

Argonian Tank Warden
    High Elf Mag Warden
    Options
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newbie here.

My bank started to overflow with all those found recepies that showed red skill requirements. Yesterday, I was told by an experienced player on Steam (thanks, Psyringe), that I could learn the recipes, blueprints, etc. even if I didn't meet the listed requirements.

Certainly a "duh" and facepalm moment, albeit a positive one.
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
    Options
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Alt I made I leveled up to 10 to get it into pvp and when I entered Cyrodiil I realized....it was a DC....and Not the AD that I play.... I was so confused to be up in that corner....lol damn Morrowind starting area didn’t let me realize it sooner...ah wells...needed to pay more attention I guess
    Options
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine thought you could only pay gold and travel to wayshrines. He didn't know you could travel for free from one. We didn't figure it out till I asked him why he was always broke.
    Options
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buying Julianos fire staff lvl 42 for 27k gold (mark king is in da house)
    Options
  • Rogue_Ghost
    Rogue_Ghost
    ✭✭✭

3 - Normal Ice Staves.

Oops.

That writ is also for 3 of each of Inferno, Ice and Lightning staves, not Restoration like your post says. I hope you at least got that right while crafting.
    Mimic Stones are thankfully not the default setting either or I would be out of those too. It's just very easy to accidentally use them.

I still make crafting mistakes by crafting the wrong level of item or cloth instead of leather for clothing writs.

Oh yes, thanks for clarifying, but I did wind up completing the writ correctly. I just also happened to use quite valuable resources in the process for "normal" staves.
    A nice little warning would have been appreciated. "Hey, uh, are you sure you want to use THAT?" But now I know for the future.
    "Death smiles at us all. All one can do, is smile back."
    Options
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While 1vX ing 5 guys i accidently killed them too fast. Man i am such a goof
    Options
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Newbie mistakes i made a stam sorc back in beta and the first years of launch fun but sucled bawls. Now i have a stam sorc in present day and it eats dmg s***s thunder and wind and runs through adds like a combine harvestor through a preschool...
    Options
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My newbie mistake:

Trusting in a company run by Daedra.
    Options
  • DocDova
    DocDova
    ✭✭✭
    DocDova wrote: »
    I been caring an 'Old Helm' under 'none' in supplies for months now. I picked in up in Wrothgar.

I am still carrying it, would someone please tell me what to do with it ?

Is there some consolatory prize from ZOS for carrying it for as long as I am ?
    Options
  • Sheenaz
    Sheenaz
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know how to leave cyrodiil. So I created a new toon xD.
    At Veteran 4 I realized that there are "Sets" and buff food.
    Put all my Attribute Points into "Life" on my breton mag sorc. Thought, it would be the best.
    Beat vma in 2016 with my breton mag templar. Took me for months. At the end i wore heavy Armor, sword and shield. DPS maybe 15k or less. No Trial gear. But hey, i made it and got finally stormproof :) i miss these noob times...
    Edited by Sheenaz on July 12, 2018 7:23AM
    Options
  • Pixel_Zealot
    Pixel_Zealot
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deconstructed my purple, enchanted 160 TBS chest. Forgot to lock it.
    Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?
    Options
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    The wife and I were around level 15.

So we said, let's try the group finder!

We had never done any dungeon.
    So she chose "healer" as a role because she had a restoration staff (no weapon abilitie sunlocked yet...)

And I chose "tank" because I had sword&shield (again... no abilities from that line yet).

We got paired with a lvl 17 and a lvl 20. N00bs like us.

And out first ever dungeon loads.
    The loadscreen was some kind of ruins in a jungle. And a scary turtle?
    You know where this is going: Ruins of Mazzatun.

I didn't even know what a taunt was.

We wiped several times on the mobs...

Still, we managed to get as far as the Mighty Chudan. Lol, I thought that was the final boss.
    But we just couldn't get past that.
    Well, that day I decided to start playing in 3rd person.
    We didn't go back into a dungeon until we were well past lvl 40.
    Options
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, once I mistakenly golded a CP150 staff.

Options
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hybrid Altmer Nightblade back in 2014. No regrets, we got it all done, from soloing Spindleclutch at VR1, to PVPing with no impen. I was mocked for being weak, yet still managed to kill them after I learned their playstyle. Thats like loosing a race to a slow car with bad driver. We were invincible.
    Edited by D0PAMINE on July 12, 2018 9:31AM
    Options
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many, but the only one that I can recall is tanking in 1st person well into the early VRs.

It was pointed out to me when I fell of the cliff tanking Bogdan in vEH2 that I should play in 3rd person.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
    Options
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I been caring an 'Old Helm' under 'none' in supplies for months now. I picked in up in Wrothgar.

@DocDova I dont think there is a prize for that, but if so, I want one for the malt, drippings and pepper that one of my characters is still holding.
    Well, Im stuck with such things but the good news is you can get rid of the Old Helm.
    Its a little difficult to explain, but this video should show you where you need to go:

https://youtu.be/t2nH9tFtMZU
    Options
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LLol I just remember another one. Coming from skyrim and all, I actually used to use soul trap to fill gems. At this point I don't even understand why empty gems and soul trap are in the game
    Options
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quested through the entire base game as a tank.

Made my first character as a tank and have completed almost all content with him.... he is now semi retired
    Options
  • DocDova
    DocDova
    ✭✭✭
    Vulsahdaal wrote: »

@DocDova I dont think there is a prize for that, but if so, I want one for the malt, drippings and pepper that one of my characters is still holding.
    Well, Im stuck with such things but the good news is you can get rid of the Old Helm.
    Its a little difficult to explain, but this video should show you where you need to go:

https://youtu.be/t2nH9tFtMZU

I already completed that quest and still it's in my inventory. :s
    Options
  • Faffox
    Faffox
    I port to a shrine using gold while in a shrine /facepalm.
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't move around during combat, and only belatedly reacted to "being in red"
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me about a week to accidentally discover that double-clicking a container overrides the new steal from stealth prompt.
    signing off
    Options