Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

What were your newbie mistakes?

• Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    played "stamblade" at launch of game where stamina just didnt exist for good over half year if not even year? if I good remember

ofc as stamblade was with this old magica surprise attacks and hmm, all skills was dealing magic damage and I was running with debuf to psychical resist

or at max lvl in 1st dung, trial (ofc not completed xD) was trying to dps with s&b because only here I saw good stam damage skills because for me flurry wasnt option to dps as it wasnt direct damage :smiley:
    Options
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Didn't realize you had to wait around for resources and keeps to fully flip, so I would just dip out when the flag was fully changed.

Thought Skyshards were just a rare thing that randomly appeared and whoever got there first was the one to get it, so I raced countless people to them.

Argonian snipe-spamming stamblade.
    Options
  • inclinations
    inclinations
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial mag sorc. I could change her race for best stats, but its too late I'm attached. Its my main. :)

Trusting someone to put items in to their guild bank, I lost it all being kicked from guild. Giving away motifs & mats because I wasn't leveled in those crafts yet.

Avoiding pvp/cyro because I would get stressy. Just reached prefect.
    Vet Maelstrom makes me cry.
    Options
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made cp 50 gears for a new character when it reached lv 50.... i was actually cp 101 at the time xD
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disregarding set pieces while leveling

Not using dots
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disregarding set pieces while leveling

Not using dots
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came from Skyrim --> made a stealth archer Stamblade (bow only). With jack-of-all-trades attributes.
    Options
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going to Craglorn in the mid 20s cause the starter NPC was in the 2nd zone of the alliance and I wanted to finish all quests before moving on to the 3rd zone. Needless to say, I stuck it out for the solo-able quest line and promptly got outta there.

Doing the quest from Shadowfen to Eastmarch and not paying attention to the prompt. Ended up in Hew's Bane instead of talking to the NPC. But hey, I got a free pet for that unexpected trip :P
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
    Options
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main was a stamDK tank. That was fine, I understood a tank's role, but even so my DPS was below pitiful as I went shield bashing my way around Tamriel. There should be an achievement for soloing a WB primarily with a shield.

I saved Valaste. Waste of two skill points, that.

Not using addons early enough. They make life so much easier it's not funny. I genuinely feel sorry for console players because ZoS refuse to fix all the QoL issues.

Not utilising CPs early enough.

Buying 1,000 Simple Bait from a merchant. Most useless consumable in the game. 50% failure rate, I kid you not.

Using Impen armour in PVE. Hey, it cut repair costs in half.

Starting the Thieves Guild entry quest without any lockpicks.
    Edited by TheRealPotoroo on July 27, 2018 4:19AM
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
    Options
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made a kahjiit nightblade healer, and realised id made a mistake with my choices when i couldnt heal people properly in volenfell final boss. everyone was so spread out and taking damage from these giant robots~ I reconsidered my choices and made a templar after that... it really doesn't pay to be off meta... I say as I play an argonian magicka warden lol
    Edited by Arbit on June 29, 2018 5:09AM
    Argonian Master Race
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When vet zones was the case I've jumped on group of vet mobs as I used to in normal zones. That wasn't very smart.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    didn´t use wayshrines for almost the first year............
    thought it was to expensive, LoL

Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I went into pvp at lvl 10 was so confused where i was had no clue how to get out. Spent 2 days trying to figure out how to leave.

Ran all over the damn map until some nice players explained how it all worked to me. Now I never want to leave that zone.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoal_AUG wrote: »
    I believed that snipe is indeed a good dps skill!!!so is heavy armor viable for dds !!!
    what a disappointment... :D

Way back in the day, Snipe was a pretty good skill. It's damage was seriously reduced (and it's minimum range requirement removed.)
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passing up that Imperial Motif for 1k in zone. Not rushing a dominion character to gold for the Wayrest Bank farm before that shut down.

Also, not getting into the endgame community in 2014. As it was, it took me until 2017 to really get into endgame content again, after my original guild went inactive.
    Options
  • CalmZeus
    CalmZeus
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    I kept on restarting and making a new character and deleting the ones I wasn't using. After 4 years just finally got to level 50. Wish I knew how easy it was to respect and kept my character the very first time I made him.

I did the same thing from magNB to stamNB, didn't like the race or the name or the looks. I could have just gotten a costume.

I hated the mag sorc class the most and now I main one.
    Options
  • iannotinbjing
    iannotinbjing
    ✭✭✭
    Day 1 running from merchant to merchant trying find one who'd sell me an axe so I could chop all that wood that was lying around. Was I little embarrassed when I realised there was one in my bag all along. :*
    Edited by iannotinbjing on June 29, 2018 7:11AM
    Options
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing in first-person mode and getting killed by a pack of wolves because I couldn't even see them. :joy:
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
    Options
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a separate crafter for each profession; it made most sense that way, plus it allowed me to match them to each character concept...not realising that there would be motifs, and achievements which really call for One Crafter to Rule Them All.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
    Options
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Making my first ever character an Altmer Stamblade...gave up 18 levels in and put the game away for a loooong time. Then got back into it and made an Altmer MagSorc. That got me hooked very, very quickly. Since then I haven't touched stamina. Also done the silly mistake of putting my attribute points into all 3 resources. Another funny one. I somehow maxed out undaunted on my MagSorc as a healer using just rapid regen and combat prayer :lol: didn't know back then that you are supposed to provide a bit of support and resource regen to your team. I've never been kicked though, so I guess I just had either a lot of luck or I was good at keeping people alive :smile:

Also, after playing WoW I never thought I'd get into PvP. Took me over a year before going into Cyro and I found a really nice guild. Can't remember the name of it now at all but I met some amazing people who explained ins and outs of PvP to me and since then, my characters only leave Cyrodill to do a DLC or chapter when they come out :smile:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    Options
  • FastBen
    FastBen
    ✭✭✭
    Playing with sword and board and bow back bar thinking I am dd. It was at the beginning when I had only one character and wanted to max every weapon and armor skill line. I had several insightful combinations like destro/bow and greatsword/resto. You can imagine what my armor looked like. I discovered what a 5 piece set is pretty late in the game. I thought that the best food you can find in game is bread and using potions is just a waste of time and mats. I can’t even count how many times I was kicked from dungeons. I was wondering why they are doing it before we even start the dungeon. I obviously didn’t know that queuing as dd with sword and board is just not right, but if you want to test someone’s patience this is the right thing to do.
    Ahh sweet memories….
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Created Bosmer Sorcerer Healer ...in this case some mistakes work out like chocolate chip cookies.
    Options
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Failing to realise that there was a link between Stam/Mag attribute scores and damage done :(
    Edited by RaddlemanNumber7 on June 29, 2018 7:40AM
    PC EU
    Options
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blew all my gold on sets I out leveled in about a day. Still bitter about it
    Options
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very first character was a sword and board Templar, made to match my Skyrim and Oblivion characters, paired with my girlfriend's flame staff wielding Magicka Sorcerer. The arguments about the disparity between our respective DPS were legendary, and I nearly ragequit trying to get past the Harvester in Halls of Torment.
    Edited by adriant1978 on June 29, 2018 7:58AM
    Options
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest noob mistake probably was trying to make a universal build that has counters to most pvp mechanics. I needn't tell you how many times it miserably failed before I went with something more realistic (and efficient).

Smaller noob mistakes involved using meatbag catapults against walls (don't ask-the "flop!" from the impact sounded hilarious though), slotting wrong skills, trying to solo in Cyrodill with 0 crit resistance on a non-shieldstack build :)

I also bought an item that I found really cool on the crown store, only to find it a month later on sale.

Made countless silly, inefficient transactions in guild stores.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
    Options
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I though gold is hard to make, so i sold my epic etc stuff to vendors, instead of guild stores...

I thought bound items are character bound, so i just deconned my gold/ purple leveling gear and made new for other characters...
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
    Options
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest mistake whrn I started in the beta: assuming it was like skyrim...
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
    Options
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing stamblade from before the launch. And I even put points into magicka. Many times I was hiding behind chaps and ladies in dressing gowns waving sticks. I did learn fairly early on that the daedra were pets of the lingerie wearers and shouldn't be attacked. Still beat Doshia though. Eventually.
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I've made mistakes, though judging from how the game works today it would sound like it, since the game was much different back then:
    - I only made 4 characters initially, and stopped playing them at level 50, but back then there were Veteran Ranks on top of levels, another grind. Once that was eliminated, I started playing those characters again and all are main characters now.
    - I split my attributes on my first character equally between magicka, stamina and health, because I played tank in group dungeons (much faster queue times), and I only had points to spec 1H+S because I also had to spec crafting, since there were few skill points in the game back then (Orsinium had just been released). Also Hakeijo cost about 5-10x what is today, so tri-glyphs were out of reach, especially for someone who had just started.
    - I played with VR14 blue training gear until I reached about CP400, then I made my first VR16 tanking armor complete with tri-glyphs right before Thieves Guild - 5 Willow's Path 2 Alessia's Bulwark 3 Endurance 2 Bloodspawn - that may look like a silly combo by today's standards, but remember that back then none of the current META sets were in the game, or they were capped at VR14 (CP140) ex. Ebon and they didn't have jewelry or weapons.
    - I didn't start research earlier on my subsequent characters, because I found no reason for it, until Homestead dropped, and that started to matter for the drop chance. I started right away and just finished on 3 of them more or less at the same time. #4 & #5 are younger so they are only halfway trough.
    - I stayed for too long as tank, and only started to play DD almost 2 years after I joined the game .That's why I'm a bit behind other players I know in that chapter since my rotations are still lacking. With time it becomes easier and easier adapting to new classes I pick up.
    - I didn't sub earlier, but on the other had subscription didn't offer much else than access to DLC for a long time, so I decided it was more advantageous to buy them, especially when I bought 4 as discounted pack. When they also added double bank space on top of the craft bag I decided it was worth it.
    Edited by Asardes on June 29, 2018 8:58AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |