Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I can't attack with PS4 controller

Trulyevilbob
Trulyevilbob
Soul Shriven
I use a PS4 controller and the right trigger is acting like it's the left trigger, defending, and the left trigger does NOTHING. I had to reinstall the entire game to fix this once, but it's doing it again. Please help.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    First, make sure ESO is set to Gamepad Mode for using a controller.
    1. Navigate to Settings.
    2. Select Gameplay.
    3. Toggle the option for Gamepad Mode to On.

If you still have issues with the PS4 controller, the next thing you can do is try it on different USB ports on your Mac. You should also disable any third party overlays which could affect the PS4 controller.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Trulyevilbob
    Trulyevilbob
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, I have activated Gamepad mode. That is where the R2 and L2 button aren't working. Those buttons do work with other applications so I know it's something in ESO.
    No USB connectors. Mac OS automatically connects a PS4 controller via bluetooth. I'm not using any overlays, keymapper and no other application other than chrome is running. I'm not using steam either.
  • Trulyevilbob
    Trulyevilbob
    Soul Shriven
    I'm still having this problem.
    I made a video about so you can see exactly what is happening so you can better fix the problem.

Detailed video about PS4 Controller problem:
    https://youtu.be/bjfpae5U1vM

Apologies for being a bit irritated by it.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Trulyevilbob

Thanks for the video and additional details about the PS4 controller. At this point we suggest opening a ticket with customer support. Our support team can investigate further into what else would cause this if it's not an issue with the controller itself.
    Staff Post
  • Trulyevilbob
    Trulyevilbob
    Soul Shriven
    I'll do that thanks.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody
    Soul Shriven
    Have you guys figured this out? I just installed the game brand new on my Mac and connected by PS4 controller and tried using it. It's having the same problem as you! The game is not recognizing my R2 button is the R2 button when I press it. It shows it as L2. So I also cannot block using L2 while also using attack with R2.
  • gamesofsteele
    gamesofsteele
    Soul Shriven
    I am have this exact issue, months later. Any word on a fix @ZOS_BillE ?
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    I have similar issues. The top right trigger will not work at times. Other buttons will act erratic. Switching to a different virtual screen fixes the problem for a bit, but the problem always come back. The weird thing is sometimes there are no problems at all; you just don’t know when the problem will arise.`
  • FOULMISCHIEF
    FOULMISCHIEF
    ✭✭
    I'm also having problems specifically with my triggers. L2 is not recognized, and R2 tries to blocks and attacks at the same time This is only when connected via Bluetooth.

When I connect via USB, I have no problems.
    Edited by FOULMISCHIEF on February 25, 2019 2:25PM
  • TheBunny
    TheBunny
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I have been meaning to mention this to the community for some time.

Over there last few years there has been a lot of confusion as to the state of the controller support.

When I wrote the initial Mac Os version of ESO, the game pad supported was only ever tested and designed to work with a PS4 controller hooked up over a USB cable.

At the time, ( and this is 3 years ago now ), I don't remember there being a standard way for the bluetooth controller to talk to the Mac OS properly.

So please try a USB cable.

PS. I no longer work for ZOS... been gone 3 years now.

I hope this helps. :)

• LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve been using the usb cable. The problem still exist but is manageable. Whenever I get a controller glitch I use the track pad to quickly go to another virtual screen and come back. The controller works fine after that, however the problem comes back after a while (sometimes a long while) and I will have to repeat the process. This is the reason I play in FullScreen Window mode not FullScreen mode on the Mac. In FullScreen Window mode going to a virtual screen is simply a matter of a four finger slide on my track pad. On FullScreen mode I can’t do that so fixing the controller glitch is a bigger pain. I’m hoping ZOS fixes Window FullScreen mode so I no longer see the menu bar because I real can’t use FullScreen mode with the controller.
  • DannyCatfriend
    DannyCatfriend
    Soul Shriven
    Hope this functionality gets revisited someday! I love the controller-based experience.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey all

I just started using a PS4 controller - currently connected via USB. Haven’t tried it on Bluetooth. I don’t use Steam, so I am relying on Apple and ZOS’s systems.

I found I had to go into the control settings to set many of the key binds/button binds myself to try to replicate the actual PS4 bindings

I have got RB2 to register as light (tough) and heavy (hold) attacks

The only combination that does not register is the RB2 + LB2

Hope that helps (and thanks for your work TheBunny)
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    have the same problem, in any other game controller works fine
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading this after a year, because I don't know what to try anymore, and I have the same. I have also a Xbox One controller but some keys are scrambled and the main buttos a-b-x-y are not working at all. I'm trying a PS4 Dual Shock. Working fine on macOS Catalina, but the bad surprise, L1 and L2 are not working and L2 is acting as blocking. I just wrote a post about Xbox controller with no reply, and I'm sadly surprised, after a year not even dual shock issue is solved. The issue happens only to ESO in both controllers with no solution and no feedbacks. Time to fix it, please.
  • nomiomiomi
    nomiomiomi
    Soul Shriven
    Had the same problem trying to use PS4 Dual Shock controller on my Mac. I spent an hour troubleshooting with ESO support. Their conclusion was this: “Currently Gamepad mode is not supported on the Mac client even though the option is visible and accessible. I would recommend using third-party applications. Please be aware, this is done at your own risk however.”

Luckily, I downloaded Steam and was able to operate the PS4 controller through steam when the controller is connected to the computer via Micro USB. Unfortunately the controller will not work through Steam via bluetooth, even though Mac allows you to connect to the controller. Hope this helps!
  • solomani
    solomani
    TheBunny wrote: »
    Hi,

Over there last few years there has been a lot of confusion as to the state of the controller support.

When I wrote the initial Mac Os version of ESO, the game pad supported was only ever tested and designed to work with a PS4 controller hooked up over a USB cable.

At the time, ( and this is 3 years ago now ), I don't remember there being a standard way for the bluetooth controller to talk to the Mac OS properly.

Thanks. But MACOS natively supports XBOX1 and PS4 controllers now over bluetooth (since Catalina release). Just confirming as of today neither controller works over bluetooth, they must be plugged in which is a little annoying:

ps4 - L1 blocks and L2 does nothing.
    xbox1 - you can move but none of the buttons work.

• butterrum222
    butterrum222
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried blowing in it?
  • TheBunny
    TheBunny
    ✭✭
    solomani wrote: »
    TheBunny wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks. But MACOS natively supports XBOX1 and PS4 controllers now over bluetooth (since Catalina release). Just confirming as of today neither controller works over bluetooth, they must be plugged in which is a little annoying:

ps4 - L1 blocks and L2 does nothing.
    xbox1 - you can move but none of the buttons work.

If someone sends me a laptop I will totally fix it for you ;)
  • TheBunny
    TheBunny
    ✭✭
    Have you tried blowing in it?

LOL :smile:
  • Somers23
    Somers23
    ✭✭
    Ah did you change your button layout in PS4 setting. You can customize your layout or r you on pc?
    Edited by Somers23 on June 19, 2020 10:03PM
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    When contacting support about this they just assume that it should be working because it works on Windows. They’re apparently unaware that controller support is NEW on macOS (since Catalina’s launch) and that they need to integrate it using the Apple controller framework and game kit API. I think the problem here is that they treat the PC and Mac client as the same client and if something works on PC they just assume it works on macOS (it’s clear they haven’t actually played or tested the game on macOS to see how broken it is). I wish they would realize that whatever code they wrote to integrate the controller on Windows does not, and will not work for the macOS game client. They need to integrate it using the Apple Controller framework / Gamekit API. I’ve sent them links to Apple developer documentation on how to do this but it’s mostly been ignored. Three large patches have been pushed out since I started reporting this with no fix or even acknowledgement of the issue yet. I suggest reporting it in game through /bug and hopefully they’ll eventually acknowledge and fix the issue.

If any of the devs are reading this, here are the links once again for how to fix this:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/gamecontroller?language=objc

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/Introduction/Introduction.html

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/ServicesDiscovery/Conceptual/GameControllerPG/IncorporatingControllersintoYourDesign/IncorporatingControllersintoYourDesign.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013276-CH4-SW4

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/616/

Related Thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520104/gamepad-input-is-broken-in-eso-on-macos-catalina#latest
    Edited by thedavidventer on June 20, 2020 1:45PM
    David Venter - Digital Creator, macOS Gamer, Graphic Designer, Music Producer
    Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • Forumer-in-Prison
    Forumer-in-Prison
    ✭✭✭
    So Devs has no plans on fixing this are they?
    Siblings-in-Prison

Lore:
    At a time of chaos and turmoil, children from all across tamriel have been taken by an evil Argonian Thieves guild. They were raised in captivity, forced to learn their captors evil ways and endured the harsh environment of Black Marsh. The intentions of the evil guild is still unknown till this day.

Amisdt the events surrounding the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a brave few has escaped their captors and ran off as far away as they can, eventually landing on the shores of khenarthi's roost.

Armed with the skills and the scars they have endured during their captivity, these brothers and sisters in chains has vowed revenge on their Argonian captors and their allies.

They kept the names branded to them by the evil reptiles as a reminder of all the pain and torment they have suffered, and have joined the Aldmeri Dominion as a means to an end... Paint Tamriel with Argonian blood.
      [*] Close-to-Prison | Khajiit | Cat of Life
      [*] Sliced-in-Prison | Bosmer | Suction Blade
      [*] Hunk-in-Prison | Breton | Hunky Blade
      [*] Muse-in-Prison | Altmer | Healing Babe
      [*] Hot-in-Prison | Breton | HotBod Killer

• ZOS_Bill
      ZOS_Bill
      admin
      With this thread being more then one year old and containing some outdated information, we've decided to close the discussion. You can start a new thread if you need assistance and no recent discussions exist.
      Staff Post
    This discussion has been closed.