The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crown store greed.

• Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lostar wrote: »
    What factors detract from Zenimax changing their business model from more expensive = less will buy it to less expensive = more will buy it AND be less likely to regret it while feeling as though they got their money's worth?
    yodased wrote: »
    Their actions are evidence that you are pretty spot on with your assessment of their motives. Get in, get out. That's an OG classic.

They want you to buy the game, buy the expansion, play the expansion, drop a few hundred dollars in the crown store while the expansion (chapter whatever) is live and then leave.

From what I can see this is to make it more difficult to remember the fact that you spent 100 or 200 or 300 on the last season. If you walk away from the game, get rid of the dopamine receptors trained to fire when you hear the login music and then come back, you are now getting new hooks in you. You can see the bright and new shiny things and they can market to you in this suggestible time.

ZOS is dirty, underhanded and pretty open about what it does and what it expects from you. I enjoy their game enough to continue to play it and really there isn't anything else out there right now that scratches the same itch, so they know they have a lot of us MMO junkies on a addiction loop, they just don't care.

You've basically summed it up quite nicely. This is exactly what they want. If we're all happy 100% of the time, that means we're all clogging up the servers and we're all flashy because we're content with our fairly priced purchases. We'd never leave. They want us to come and go.. as I have done. I come back and I totally forget the hundreds I threw at them the last time I played.

It is dirty and it does exploit those who are the most vulnerable among us like those with mental illnesses left unchecked because society at large would prefer to pretend it's not a problem or at least not their problem.

It might be OG from a business perspective but this whole sort of digital goods monetization has only came around in the recent years. I do hope governments around the world take a good hard look at the evidence for the sake of protecting those who lack the cognizance of seeing the self harm they are doing. At the very least, loot boxes (or EA's petty name switch of 'surprise mechanics') need to be swiftly banned. The greed has to stop because at this point it is a ticking time bomb.
    Edited by Lostar on July 15, 2019 2:22PM
    I paint stuff sometimes...
    https://www.instagram.com/artoflostar/
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    And let's all keep in mind that cosmetics are actually extremely important and valuable to some players and Zenimax and Bethesda knows this. Player housing is extremely valuable to the roleplay community and having them out of the price range of your average, sensible-minded role player is kind of cruel. If you're a PvPer or simply play the content then I can see how you would see these things as optional.

Allow me to flip the script; If Zenimax released a weapon that offers a valuable advantage in the content that you played and in order to get maximum enjoyment from the game was by having this weapon but it is locked behind a pay wall that is $130 worth of crowns.. how would that feel?

For role players, these houses are our swords...

And it's certainly more than nickle and dimes to someone like me with a freelance artist budget.
    Edited by Lostar on July 15, 2019 2:35PM
  • Viscous119
    Viscous119
    ✭✭✭
    You think the crownstore is bad...lol? There are games like Star Trek Online that have starship packages that START at $179 to buy. I'd say the crownstore is ok for now, but we do have to make sure that the ESO crownstore doesn't spin out of control like some other cash grab games.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viscous119 wrote: »
    You think the crownstore is bad...lol? There are games like Star Trek Online that have starship packages that START at $179 to buy. I'd say the crownstore is ok for now, but we do have to make sure that the ESO crownstore doesn't spin out of control like some other cash grab games.

outfit slot character bounds at 1500 crowns

sure ... it's fine :rolleyes:
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Viscous119 wrote: »

That's like comparing polio with cholera. Different thing, yet still bad, only one is slightly worse. I'm sure Star Trek Online was on the same level as ESO is now once and it was probably defended in the same way. Unfortunately the deal with those companies is that when you give them an inch they'll take a mile. And we gave a few miles already in ESO with +100$ houses, lootboxes and in game currency linked to rng on top of ingame currency we already had.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Frankly I don't know why I am posting this. I know it will fall on deaf ears. I have to imagine you are completely aware of what you are doing and that its all done by design with intent. I guess for me this is some kind of catharisis that I may reflect on for when the crown store takes its toll and I once again leave a game due to greed.

I dont know either why you post this ;)

I pay ESO+ sub and get some crown every month. You dont need them at all unless you want to change gender, race or redo your character. Those i consider service fees. Over the years i bought me a dog, two wolf mounts, imperial DLC and some outfits. Thats it.

!! The Game works perfectly fine without Crowns !!

You only play the Claw machine when you really want to get that certain plush toy. Your decission..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TaZxliE80

Edited by mague on July 18, 2019 6:38AM
  • Lostar
    Lostar
    ✭✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »
    Raideen wrote: »
    Frankly I don't know why I am posting this. I know it will fall on deaf ears. I have to imagine you are completely aware of what you are doing and that its all done by design with intent. I guess for me this is some kind of catharisis that I may reflect on for when the crown store takes its toll and I once again leave a game due to greed.

I dont know either why you post this ;)

I pay ESO+ sub and get some crown every month. You dont need them at all unless you want to change gender, race or redo your character. Those i consider service fees. Over the years i bought me a dog, two wolf mounts, imperial DLC and some outfits. Thats it.

!! The Game works perfectly fine without Crowns !!

You only play the Claw machine when you really want to get that certain plush toy. Your decission..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2TaZxliE80

That's perfectly fine for you but not for everyone else. If you never touched pvp you could argue that pvp boost is unnecessary. There is a community that has been exploited here; the role play community. As I said above; these houses are important to how we role players play this game. They are more than mere cosmetics to us; they're tools to further our plots, to enrich our immersion.
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have closed this thread as it was originally created in 2017. If you feel the topic needs further discussion please feel free to open a new thread on the topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.