The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Everquest and ESO

BottomDPS
BottomDPS
Hi guys..

First real post here, is there anyone that played Everquest back in the early 2000s? The more I play ESO (I'm only lvl 37) the more similarities I see. It's like an evolved Everquest! The player is actually punished for being bad and you have to stay alert. Obviously games have progressed a lot but it's nice to see something that I feel is more like Everquest than World of Warcraft (Not dissing WoW, also a great game) in a time when everything seems to be taking so much inspiration from WoW.

Anyone know if some of the devs played/worked on Everquest or Everquest 2?

• SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played them both and this game is nothing like either.
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telel played from just before ruins of Kunark up until...uhmm about the third expansion post planes of power. They also never got a single toon to 50 let alone to alternate advancement. I fact there was a Telel living on Luclin for quite some time.

This is why they just laugh when people in this game make silly elf noises about 'the grind', or how hard soloing can be.

This one however would disagree with the game being like the original Everquest if only because the world is not as open, and it is far FAR more forgiving to casual play.

Though this one supposes it is a bit more similar to recent EQ2 releases which try to satify the soloer/small groups/hard core raider cliques. They will also note that a khajiit has not been a kerran for more than a few hours since Nirn became their playground.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did, 2000 to about 2004.

Your not punished at all in ESo, compared to EQ, dont you remember the exp loss and corpse runs when you died, then you had to find a cleric to rez you, and maybe a Nerco to find your corpse for the cleric to do the rezing lol.

It was a different era , MMOs were new and exciting ( to those who played them) Now they are just run of the mill, *** hum another MMO, yawn... but ESO is pretty good, but most of the PvE content is quite easy, too easy actually, but still enjoyable for the most part.

I love the Grafixs of ESo, I actually went back in to one of my old EQ1 accounts some time ago, even paid $20 to access it, you know what, I logged out after 15 mins without killing anything , never left Plane of Knowledge, the grafixs were just to poor for me to continue, I canceled my sub the next day lol, sad but true, this coming from an addicted EQ1 player at the time.

I really like ESO, but this cheating engine crap has got to be dealt with in a major way, yes they baned a few players, but as Fengush says, what of the future? Will we really know if that player in PvP or PvE is only slightly cheating using the CE?

Anyways, welcome to ESO, dont forget to feed your horse everyday and check your crafting research if you into crafting.
    Edited by Reevster on May 31, 2016 10:05PM
  • crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes EQ, hardest and best game for its time period.

The I want all now in today's MMO's couldn't play EQ, they would rage quit the first day.

It took a real player to be able to handle a death, then brave all kinds of evil to get back to your body, regain all your stuff, then beg some cleric to rez your corpse so you would regain some xp back.

I was said cleric in our guild "Celestial Knights" and many evenings spent 1 or 2 hours getting people's corpse's and rezzing them back to almost full xp.

I could also heal a 100 person raid, with 1 heal :). he he
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I stay away from AD zones because they look like EQ.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    Telel wrote: »
    Telel played from just before ruins of Kunark up until...uhmm about the third expansion post planes of power. They also never got a single toon to 50 let alone to alternate advancement. I fact there was a Telel living on Luclin for quite some time.

This is why they just laugh when people in this game make silly elf noises about 'the grind', or how hard soloing can be.

This one however would disagree with the game being like the original Everquest if only because the world is not as open, and it is far FAR more forgiving to casual play.

Though this one supposes it is a bit more similar to recent EQ2 releases which try to satify the soloer/small groups/hard core raider cliques. They will also note that a khajiit has not been a kerran for more than a few hours since Nirn became their playground.

i love you... *silly elf noises*. I too played EQ and feel the same way. its nice to see another real gamer.
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played EQ (Xegony Server) for a LONG and even became a GM for them. Loved that game. In my opinion, it was the best MMO for its time.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played EQ for a long time, and i started with velios expansion. I never made it to level cap though, I played Iksar on Lanys.
    I loved that game, and I just roll my eyes at all these pro-auction houses posts, people talking about grinds, etc. Lol.
  • kalimar44
    kalimar44
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played EQ from 1999-2005. I lo
    crowfl56 wrote: »

The I want all now in today's MMO's couldn't play EQ, they would rage quit the first day.

It took a real player to be able to handle a death, then brave all kinds of evil to get back to your body, regain all your stuff, then beg some cleric to rez your corpse so you would regain some xp back.

I was said cleric in our guild "Celestial Knights" and many evenings spent 1 or 2 hours getting people's corpse's and rezzing them back to almost full xp.

I could have not said it better. I played on the Povar server and my monk was really good at FD pulling. I loved playing EQ. The game became known as Evercrack. Hard core MMO that was fun. :)
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Many of us here played EQ. I played from the Ruins of Kunark release up until Planes of Power on Tarew Marr. :)
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of us here played EQ. I played from the Ruins of Kunark release up until Planes of Power on Tarew Marr. :)

I had so much fun and have so many memories from that game. I wish I knew what some of my old guildmates were up to.
  • ItsDyvim
    ItsDyvim
    ✭✭✭

I played on TM from 2001 to oh, 2012 lol.
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beta played EQ and used to 4 box the game so I could have my own group, I remember h3ll levels that would take 3-4 months of crazy grinding to get. Items like bronze with no stats were actually good... then after each expansion they added more and more crazy good gear that even "epics" that could have taken weeks to get if you were in a good guild did not compare to the 400hp 30str starter gear they handed out.

I remember waking and killing the Sleeper and that made it so no one else could do it again on the server, and I sold my cleric on ebay in 2001 for $4000.

Ahhhhh the good old days ;)
  • Smerchy
    Smerchy
    ✭✭✭
    Played EQ as well. ESO is not even close to grind and harshness of EQ.

Naked corpse runs that resulted in naked corpses that would poof in 15-30 min if you didn't get rez or hell levels that required experience equal to 2-3 normal levels. I actually once got stuck in a death loop and lost about 4 levels, almost quit that day. There were no instanseing so competing guilds would try to lag each other out during big boss fights in order to cause wipe.

And whoever played EQ will never forget TRAIN TO ZONE!!!! :smiley:
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Played Eq as well, Ruins of Kunark then PoP after PoP came out i ended up going to DAOC :smiley: Played on Veeshan level 36 HE Cleric and a 30 WE ranger :D
  • ItsDyvim
    ItsDyvim
    ✭✭✭

I played on TM from 2001 to oh, 2012 lol.

Level 100 Necro, 7500ish aa - raid geared when I left. Raided from Velious - GoD, stopped for a few expansions and started back raiding after LDoN.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Played from before rok for about 8 years. The only similarity I've found so far(still new to eso) seems magic is king. Pure melee doesn't exist in eso(loved my ikky monk! Go Sscorn!) Eso is much more forgiving in MANY ways. Imagine how PvP would work here if you had to do corpse runs, naked, and zergs corpse camping. Gather 30 people (lag? Some still had DIAL UP lol) to go on a several hour raid just to be wiped, or if you succeeded, not get any good loot so you gotta run tomorrow again. Hell levels(with an exp penalty...) I loved the game, but it required you to live on it, or play solo. Since I love melee that was monk.(at least until they tried getting WOW players back and started making it easier. Then, even warriors could solo easier. SLOWLY, but easier)

And yes, every new character had to have a special hotkey----TRAIN TO ZONE!
    Edited by Lumenn on June 1, 2016 1:30AM
  • BottomDPS
    BottomDPS
    Never said ESO was as hard as EQ but I don't think any mmo would survive today if it was xD

• Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I played on Tarew Marr as well, stopped shortly after Rise of Kunark though.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Aaru
      Aaru
      ✭✭
      Played EQ2 for several years and was in a raiding guild.

Fun game, but I prefer ESO :)
    • I_killed_Vivec
      I_killed_Vivec
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

That's all well and good, but there are a lot of people on the forums who are silently (and some not so silently) fuming about the lack of responses from ZoS on some ESO related problems and would prefer an official response to those issues rather than reminiscences about Everquest...
    • Dral_Shady
      Dral_Shady
      ✭✭✭
      Smerchy wrote: »
      Played EQ as well. ESO is not even close to grind and harshness of EQ.

Naked corpse runs that resulted in naked corpses that would poof in 15-30 min if you didn't get rez or hell levels that required experience equal to 2-3 normal levels. I actually once got stuck in a death loop and lost about 4 levels, almost quit that day. There were no instanseing so competing guilds would try to lag each other out during big boss fights in order to cause wipe.

And whoever played EQ will never forget TRAIN TO ZONE!!!! :smiley:

Yea I went from lvl 50 to lvl 46 on my guilds first fear run. It was a crazy 24 hour run. Damn as fun as EQ could be Im extremely happy games are not like that anymore hehe
    • danno8
      danno8
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      BottomDPS wrote: »
      Never said ESO was as hard as EQ but I don't think any mmo would survive today if it was xD

No they wouldn't.

I, like many others simply don't have the time at 40 that I did at 25.

As my life has become hardcore, my games have necessarily become more softcore.
    • Aeaeren
      Aeaeren
      ✭✭✭
      BottomDPS wrote: »
      Hi guys..

First real post here, is there anyone that played Everquest back in the early 2000s? The more I play ESO (I'm only lvl 37) the more similarities I see. It's like an evolved Everquest! The player is actually punished for being bad and you have to stay alert. Obviously games have progressed a lot but it's nice to see something that I feel is more like Everquest than World of Warcraft (Not dissing WoW, also a great game) in a time when everything seems to be taking so much inspiration from WoW.

Anyone know if some of the devs played/worked on Everquest or Everquest 2?

It's Dark Age of Camelot, pretty much DAoC engine with Elder Scroll skins slapped on it.
    • Aeaeren
      Aeaeren
      ✭✭✭
      crowfl56 wrote: »

I remember in one dungeon my friend said ya jump down this well, um we had to wait like 3 hours for someone to unlock the doors so we could get out! Way to low level for that dungeon and no druid teleports!

OH and TRAIN to ZONE! Plane of Fear man those days were fun but I just can't get back into it like the old days.
    • stojekarcub18_ESO
      stojekarcub18_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭
      I still play EQ2...a nice change when I get bored with ESO, as they are NOTHING alike!
    • RandalMarrs
      RandalMarrs
      ✭✭✭
      EQOA on the PS2 from dawn til its dusk. Marrs Fist server. Never played the pc version.
      Edited by RandalMarrs on June 6, 2016 12:37PM
    • Aeaeren
      Aeaeren
      ✭✭✭
      I played from release, can't remember the server.

I remember I wanted journeyman (Original ones) boots for my Ranger who didn't get Spirit of the Wolf until I think level 32. We camped that mob for 24 hours straight for 4 pairs! You had to make sure you had enough fire power to over do the damage from the Kill stealing punks!
    • Lumenn
      Lumenn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Aeaeren wrote: »
      I played from release, can't remember the server.

I remember I wanted journeyman (Original ones) boots for my Ranger who didn't get Spirit of the Wolf until I think level 32. We camped that mob for 24 hours straight for 4 pairs! You had to make sure you had enough fire power to over do the damage from the Kill stealing punks!

Ha ha. Funny thing first time I saw the chains coming down in eso and helped fight I stood there for a few minutes wondering how we were going to /roll for the chest on Xbox 1....(nobody was on chat so I looked it up. Duh....
    • Reorx_Holybeard
      Reorx_Holybeard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      EQ was my main MMO from its release in 1999 to basically when ESO was announced. Definitely some fond memories over the years from there. While the original EQ was brutal, to put it mildly, I actually enjoyed the challenge for the most part. I think in any game there is a balance to be achieved between difficulty and ease of access to new players and you don't want to go too much in either direction.
      Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
      Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
      Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
      I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!