The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Everquest and ESO

• XANTITHESISX
    XANTITHESISX
    ✭✭✭
    EQOA on the PS2 from dawn til its dusk. Marrs Fist server. Never played the pc version.

I was on Marrs Fist as well in Knight Templars
  • Kerrilea72
    Kerrilea72
    Soul Shriven
    I love my EQ memories. I played from the launch of Velious until DoN on the Luclin server. However, as much as I reminisce about those days, I don't think I would want to again do the months of grinding, corpse runs, being "on call" for a raid if a boss spawned (no matter what time it was), racing other guilds to said boss, and camping gear mobs for days/weeks. On the other hand, I did like how your name and your guild meant something in EQ. If you were a ***-bag, it got around, and, eventually, you had to reroll a new character or only hang out with other ***-bags like yourself because no respectable guild would have you. It truly was a community... for better or worse.

Ah, the good old days! ;)
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Long trip down memory lane!

I played on Firiona Vie, the roleplay server, where players could have only one character per account. Needless to say, it was a small community and everyone knew everyone.

I miss those days, but, like many, I know I could never go back and enjoy them again. I would get out of bed at four in the morning EST just to play with an Aussie friend and a buddy who worked the late shift. At least half our play time was spent bandaging each other between pulls.

They talked me into switching to EQ2 on the LDL server. Believe it or not, the original EQ2 seemed even harder than old EQ. Even crafting was lethal.

I sill play EQ2 from time to time with my wife, during Frostfell... ~sighs~
    Black-handed Hluill and his daughter Leyek of House Numaril.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many of us here played EQ. I played from the Ruins of Kunark release up until Planes of Power on Tarew Marr. :)

That's all well and good, but there are a lot of people on the forums who are silently (and some not so silently) fuming about the lack of responses from ZoS on some ESO related problems and would prefer an official response to those issues rather than reminiscences about Everquest...

Oh no, the Community Manager responded to a thread that ISNT A WHINE THREAD? The Travesty! The Horror! How dare she!

How about you pipe down and go back to your whine thread.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • RandalMarrs
    RandalMarrs
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of threads for gripes, don't make this one. I played in Uncensored on Marrs Fist til the game ended. I dual boxed and had several toons with variations on the name Gargemel (Gargemel, Gargemelia, Gargemelio, Estevez...he fit the theme but you get the idea).
    Edited by RandalMarrs on June 6, 2016 1:52PM
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of us here played EQ. I played from the Ruins of Kunark release up until Planes of Power on Tarew Marr. :)

That's all well and good, but there are a lot of people on the forums who are silently (and some not so silently) fuming about the lack of responses from ZoS on some ESO related problems and would prefer an official response to those issues rather than reminiscences about Everquest...

Go away, troll.
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kerrilea72 wrote: »
    On the other hand, I did like how your name and your guild meant something in EQ. If you were a ***-bag, it got around, and, eventually, you had to reroll a new character or only hang out with other ***-bags like yourself because no respectable guild would have you. It truly was a community... for better or worse.

Ah, the good old days! ;)

This! I was a pretty well known Bard in EQ. Name was Rhythmical Synsations. When you were good at your class, your name got around. People would talk about you and you would be recognized by the general players.

Another thing I miss is how certain loot was so hard to get that people would /drool over certain items. I remember getting my Bard Epic Weapon. It was so hard to get. Took so much time and work and you needed your guild for it. You could gather your full force, wipe several times and then finally beat the boss mob but not have the item you needed drop. Oh the pain. And that one particular mob was an underwater fight! Once I got that sword with the colorful notes coming out of it, people would envy you just like I envied others who had their epics. Getting that and my Wizard Epic were some very memorable days for me.

I also miss being able to inspect people to see what they were wearing and being envious over their gear. I liked that you could have a message posted that people could read when they inspected you.

Oh, and I miss having GMs in game. And I miss being a GM in the game.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BottomDPS wrote: »
    Hi guys..

First real post here, is there anyone that played Everquest back in the early 2000s? The more I play ESO (I'm only lvl 37) the more similarities I see. It's like an evolved Everquest! The player is actually punished for being bad and you have to stay alert. Obviously games have progressed a lot but it's nice to see something that I feel is more like Everquest than World of Warcraft (Not dissing WoW, also a great game) in a time when everything seems to be taking so much inspiration from WoW.

Anyone know if some of the devs played/worked on Everquest or Everquest 2?

I've played Everquest,and cant find similarities.They are different by leaps and bounds.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    what made EQ successful even though it was hard to play was the camaraderie. guild mates would give you upgrades or help you farm that rare name that rarely dropped your item. today the player base is making this kind of play style impossible when they demand that devs make it very possible to solo everything including tradeskills(crafting bag). and to say a EQ playstyle wouldn't make it today is so sad to admit :(
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played EQ from Kunark to DoN on the Zebuxoruk server. Zeb in the hiz-ouse! I also played an end game Cleric, and really miss the raids. If anyone tells you that ESO has an expo grind, or that it has raids feel free to laugh in their face. It doesn't. At.All. As a holder of a clicky noodle (Cleric Epic Weapon), I've gone on corpse runs to the strangest and scariest places. ESO needs the ability to drag corpses though. Seriously. I remember helping desperate people who had lost their corpses and were up against the corpse decay window. Yes, you could actually lose all the gear on your character forever if you didn't get a rez fast enough.

ESO just isn't EQ though. EQ was a social game. ESO is not. It's a solo game where you are sometimes forced to interact with other people. Even the chat and guild interfaces are not designed for group and social play. Adding a third party voice chat program is the only way to even approach EQ's level of social interaction. I miss that a lot. I haven't made the lifelong friends in RL in ESO like I did in EQ. 10 years after retiring (My wife got pregnant and I decided to focus on being a father instead of being a gamer) and selling my Cleric so we could get a fancy HDTV, I'm still in touch with a number of my old EQ guild mates on Facebook. In fact, I just reconnected with an old EQ guild mate here on ESO, which is exceptionally cool. :smiley:

My coolest EQ moment? When I was chosen as a Player of the Month by SOE. I've still got some really sweet EQ swag that they sent me for that.

I also used my old EQ Cleric's name here in ESO, in the hopes that I'd run across some old Zeb players sometime, and it worked! LOL

PS... Smedley and crew bought EQ from ESO a little over a year ago and were going to rerelease the original game. Sadly, they weren't including the Mac which I've since switched to, so I was unable to relive those moments. That Mac compatibility? That's the main reason that I actually started playing ESO. Good job on that one ZOS!
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started on Bertoxxulous right at Kunark launch, but only got to like level 36 there before I started a dark elf rogue on Luclin. I played until some time after PoP, but only reached level 52.

-HOWEVER-

I was able to get my dark elf to be non-KOS in Kelethin, which I count as my greatest accomplishment. Unfortunately, I blew all of that away with a single trip to Plane of Growth.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played EQ pretty solidly from the beta in 1998 until EQ2 came out in 2004 and then sporadically thereafter, logging in most recently some time late last year. I played multiple characters across multiple accounts but never got on really with multi-boxing as such, it was more a case of wanting to have lots of different characters as is the case in most MMOs I play including ESO.

I've played EQ2 on very much the same basis since 2004 and am currently subscribed to it. I've never hit the cap in those games although after 2 years in ESO I do now have what was until last week a VR2 character. I'm someone who enjoys the journey with no interest in the destination, and that's an approach that started with EQ and has continued ever since.

I enjoyed EQ enormously, it was very special at the time and although I did a lot of grouping and guilds in those days (neither of which interests me today), I also found EQ a lot more soloable across a number of classes than most people gave it credit for.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from the fact that they are both western MMORPGs, ESO and EQ are nothing alike. EQ was hardcore. ESO is ezmode.
  • BottomDPS
    BottomDPS
    Anyone remember Renieni and Renswarder from Venril Sathir server on EQ1? Was UK server that launched way after release:)
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQ2 now that is a laggy game.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    played from Ruins of Kunark through to Omens of War then left when WOW came out with alot of others, cant say ESO is anything like Everquest for me, nowhere near the same level of difficulty - death means nothing in ESO
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when they nerfed monks mitigation (because of one pair of pants with 60 ac that only the top 1% would ever see. They nerfed the whole class /sigh. Spent a lot of time raising factions(ikky monk). Could walk anywhere in kelethin, Freeport, qeynos, but that bard faction /shudder. Pure melee had it rougher than twinklefingers solo, but at least they were fun.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bedlom wrote: »
    EQ2 now that is a laggy game.

The 56k dialup didn't help. :p
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played EQ from launch (still play!)
    There is no game since that comes close to the challenge of that game.
    How many modern gamers would spend the time getting flagged for content like we had to for SSRA and Time?
    I think not.
    I understand where you are at with the being bad bit due to factions, I played a pally, The Overthere still brings back memories of corpse runs, bloody guards!!

Be safe

• Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, this game is nothing like EQ. EQ2 features are incomparable to this game.
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • chrissouza7ub17_ESO
    Long time player from 1999, The Rathe server, in BoTs guild. I do miss the days of EQ. Wish they would implement some aspects of the game into ESO. I did manage to grab the guild name Brotherhood of The Spider but have yet to push forward building the guild up in ESO until guilds better evolve "Tools, Raids, etc.." One thing I miss most is the /who commands like /who all LFG... assembling a group is such a pain in ESO. This whole random group builder thing is so lame. Raids are non existent. Camping trash mobs and occasionally grabbing a boss for items in open world for hours of fun are non existent here. ESO can learn so much from EQ if they would just open there minds... A day in ESO pretty much goes like this: Log in do dailies, log to another toon only to do more of the same dailies. No long quests to obtain any tangible gear. Dungeon crawls almost take no skill except maybe WGT and ICP. I can only hope ESO evolves into something more but I wont hold my breath.

If EQ was given a facelift "new graphics engine" bringing it inline with ESO I'd go back without batting an eye.

I'm glad to see some old time EQ players here. Maybe we will cross paths someday in ESO
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revamped blackburrow trains....../evil grin....
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh ya I was on the Seventh Hammer server. Had a Troll Warrior, Troll Beast Lord, High Elf Cleric, Halfling Druid, High Elf mag, Nerco ( cant remember race) all lvl 88 or so when i left. Nerco was a good puller with Faint death and all.

I had Beastlord on one account, Nerco on One account and Mag on one account, so i could 3 box those three pets classes, was fun, then they came out with mercs, Had 6 pets then lol. Got kinda crazy after that,
    Edited by Reevster on June 6, 2016 7:36PM
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only current MMO's where still as hard as EQ. That game was fun. I agree that to many people would not be able to handle a game of that difficulty.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Ryonyx
    Ryonyx
    Soul Shriven
    Defilted wrote: »
    If only current MMO's where still as hard as EQ. That game was fun. I agree that to many people would not be able to handle a game of that difficulty.

That's just it. Dev's can make great games like that again. It's just now the whole business model in gaming is "How many people can we get to play our game and be most happy with it?" the answer is a casual easy mode game. It's all about the money. I wish some great game developers would make a game that is hard core as EQ used to be at the sacrifice of "profits" just make enough money to pay for the game and the employees decently well like a living wage and do it for passion. Passion of gamers for gamers by gamers!
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    but I wont hold my breath.

Not even if you're underwater? :o
  • chrissouza7ub17_ESO
    Bananko wrote: »
    but I wont hold my breath.

Not even if you're underwater? :o

Good ole mage "Summon Waterstone" problem solved :wink:
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yah EQ was hardcore, wayyyyyy hardcore. But the hardcore was on your time commitment to "keep up" with the crazies.

I played from early on (vanilla) until planes of power, but realistically I never had the time to raid much or even be at the level cap for all that extended of period to hardcore it. This time it took to do anything was silly. The price of dying was way too severe.

Just to elaborate a little on the nature of the hardcoredness: There was a zone called South Karana, it was one of 4 karana zones, but it had a dungeon (split paw) and good mobs to grind (aviak avocets!) and it was like the high 20's to 30ish level zone. To get there from a "city" took you a long time. Now to get there and back you either had to pay a wizard character that had the teleport to the spires or a druid that had the teleport to the henge. The other way which was very common is that bard class characters would sell a run to a city (or from a city), which entailed you joining there group and running with them while they banged their drum to play their run speed song. The zones themselves were huge (or your movement speed through them was just really slow, same thing really).

On top of that all, when you died... all your equipment was on your corpse (which was exactly where you died), you were at your bound spot (which could be very far away). If you couldn't get to your corpse, it would degrade and disappear over 3 days and you would lose all your equipment. You also lost a fairly large amount of xp when you died, so much so that the plane of hate and plane of fear raiders (particularly plane of fear which was bugged at times) would sometimes delevel so far they could no longer enter the planes to get to their corpses (level 50 zone, required level 47 to get into). So basically, people would raid at level 50 and sometimes die so much and so often that they were level 46 and would lose everything.

It did have a level of immersion that was unparalleled though. Mostly because you being inattentive or going afk had severe ramifications to you. Coupled with the fact you were invariably on dial up... which wasn't exactly always reliable. Well, you can do the math of it all.

Lastly, the nature of grouped combat in early EQ was all about your group of 6 grinding on one solo mob. Multiple pulls were often wipes (unless you had the crowd control class "the enchanter" which was a class that was neither tank, dps or healer... all they really did was cc).

I don't really see much if any commonality between eso and eq though.
  • kalimar44
    kalimar44
    ✭✭✭✭
    The good old days of Evercrack. That's what the game became known as. I played on the Povar sever and I was one of the best FD pullers on the server. I loved everything about EQ. It was a awesome social game that you don't find in a MMO anymore. People were actually getting divorces and getting fired from there jobs because of EQ addiction(Evercrack).
    Anyways I loved the game for what it was,but being married now with kids now I could not go back to a hardcore MMO like that. I just wouldn't have the time to play it like it should be played.

Long live Everquest. :)
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah EQ was hardcore, wayyyyyy hardcore. But the hardcore was on your time commitment to "keep up" with the crazies.

I played from early on (vanilla) until planes of power, but realistically I never had the time to raid much or even be at the level cap for all that extended of period to hardcore it. This time it took to do anything was silly. The price of dying was way too severe.

Just to elaborate a little on the nature of the hardcoredness: There was a zone called South Karana, it was one of 4 karana zones, but it had a dungeon (split paw) and good mobs to grind (aviak avocets!) and it was like the high 20's to 30ish level zone. To get there from a "city" took you a long time. Now to get there and back you either had to pay a wizard character that had the teleport to the spires or a druid that had the teleport to the henge. The other way which was very common is that bard class characters would sell a run to a city (or from a city), which entailed you joining there group and running with them while they banged their drum to play their run speed song. The zones themselves were huge (or your movement speed through them was just really slow, same thing really).

On top of that all, when you died... all your equipment was on your corpse (which was exactly where you died), you were at your bound spot (which could be very far away). If you couldn't get to your corpse, it would degrade and disappear over 3 days and you would lose all your equipment. You also lost a fairly large amount of xp when you died, so much so that the plane of hate and plane of fear raiders (particularly plane of fear which was bugged at times) would sometimes delevel so far they could no longer enter the planes to get to their corpses (level 50 zone, required level 47 to get into). So basically, people would raid at level 50 and sometimes die so much and so often that they were level 46 and would lose everything.

It did have a level of immersion that was unparalleled though. Mostly because you being inattentive or going afk had severe ramifications to you. Coupled with the fact you were invariably on dial up... which wasn't exactly always reliable. Well, you can do the math of it all.

Lastly, the nature of grouped combat in early EQ was all about your group of 6 grinding on one solo mob. Multiple pulls were often wipes (unless you had the crowd control class "the enchanter" which was a class that was neither tank, dps or healer... all they really did was cc).

I don't really see much if any commonality between eso and eq though.

Don't forget if you had a good monk adds didn't happen(well, until they lets bards take over.../grumble)

Considering you had to LIVE EQ to get to the top(until WOW came out. Then they started making it easier) I don't see original everquest like games making a comeback. I miss those days, but with kids/life, etc I get to see that big "scareball in the sky" now too.
    Edited by Lumenn on June 6, 2016 8:53PM