The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Everquest and ESO

• Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a OLD EQer too from RodsetNife/Quellious server. Still play a bit on the Project1999.
    I left the main game a bit after they added the hired mercenaries. Game kinda went to hell after that, some might say before that.
    It's funny how well the old '/who all LFG' worked compared to ESO grouping tool ;)

I still have a "FABLED" beta test CD signed by 'BRAD' hanging on my wall
  • Aeaeren
    Aeaeren
    ✭✭✭
    I do remember the very first time I played EQ. I created a Barb Warrior and it was nighttime so I fell into the channel of water and drowned. Took a little while to learn about torches as EQ didn't really have a help system. Eventually I settled on a Wood Elf Ranger and OMG Kelethin was a mess to learn. DON'T FALL OFF the platform and Crushbone. Man now EQ had Dungeons Lower Guk coming to mind. Had to travel through one dungeon just to get to the other.
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha Crushbone was awesome! You didn't want to mess with these 2 guys while you were there. Emperor Crush and Ambassador Dvinn!

TRAIN TO ZONE! WATCH OUT!

2110804-crushbone_emperor.jpg
  • Smellfire
    Smellfire
    ✭✭✭
    Played UO till about a month after EQ released, then swapped and played till 2010 off and on with EQ2.

Great game, very brutal. Epic Weapon quest really was epic, took me 9 months with some 48 hour camps to get it.

I remember 8 hour corpse runs for guild raids carrying 20 coffins, hell level grinding, trains to zone, mob stealing. All great fun back in the day. Wouldn't do it now but wish all mmos weren't so easy mode for pve in general.

There are a few hard instances in this game but learn the tactics with a decent bunch and they still are quite trivial compared to the original mmos.
  • Aeaeren
    Aeaeren
    ✭✭✭
    Kildayen wrote: »
    Haha Crushbone was awesome! You didn't want to mess with these 2 guys while you were there. Emperor Crush and Ambassador Dvinn!

TRAIN TO ZONE! WATCH OUT!

2110804-crushbone_emperor.jpg

Ya but Ambassador Dvinn had the dagger. And don't forget Crushbone shield!
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butcherblock Train capital...(guk maybe close....)

Screenshot_2016-06-07-08-36-23_1_zpsi6unfyko.jpg
    Edited by Lumenn on June 7, 2016 2:00PM
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’ve ruined your own lands, you’ll not ruin mine!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that they are both western MMORPGs, ESO and EQ are nothing alike. EQ was hardcore. ESO is ezmode.

EQ ia hard core??lol.
  • WanderingJarlPuncher
    as a 2 years old players of The Elders Stupidity Onslaught Tamriel Uncompleted i will show a few things that will hurt the pride of the 3% of the players who invest tons of money in this game per months and a few easyly butthurt players [snip]
    BottomDPS wrote: »
    Hi guys..

The more I play ESO (I'm only lvl 37) the more similarities I see.
    It's like an evolved Everquest! The player is actually punished for being bad and you have to stay alert.
    Obviously games have progressed a lot but it's nice to see something that I feel is more like Everquest than World of Warcraft (Not dissing WoW, also a great game) in a time when everything seems to be taking so much inspiration from WoW.

Anyone know if some of the devs played/worked on Everquest or Everquest 2?

The more I play ESO (I'm only lvl 37) the more similarities I see.

> 1-50 takes 2 days at best if you take your time. getting from 1 to 30 in EQ , classic, kunark velious was an accomplishment in itself cuz the grind was real and time consumming compared to eso where you belch and you get 15 levels.

It's like an evolved Everquest!

> WRONG, ESO is now an easy solomode version of world of warcraft. there are no groups, exept for group delves in craglorn and raids compared to eq where you had to find a group in unrest or for ever wait in queue working on your combat skills and even in some zones like karnors castle where it was train after train cuz the groups werent perfectly set up and had to call TTZ so other groups could either zone or camp out to avodi getting their efforts wasted.

The player is actually punished for being bad and you have to stay alert.

>you stole an apple! pay 37 gold or run and get *** by a guard who failed to protect his town from a level 45 demon BUT he can beat you after you beat the crap out of a daedric god, won 3 civil war became the leader of every guilds and even killed hard mode trials.

in EQ: OH! the guards in danger!! *casts a heal on a guard in combat... guard runs after you for hindering his combat.* and god to those guards hit hard.
    *bard aoe dps song next to a guard* you die. in eso you tryed to kill me? meh 50 golds and were even.

EQ is hard > eso is so damn easy justin bieber could solo it.

[edit] before ESO tryes to copy what EQ they have to understand that ESO cant be closer than 20 feet behind the end of the shadow of EQ.
    eq had quality Customer support, bugs were fixed in 24 hours NOT ignored and still bugged 2.5 years later because its too hard to fix them when they are shown, EQ has originality and didnt require modders to make stuff for them . they made it themselves. EQ had time grinding content, ESO has money sinking content that take 2 weeks max to finish.

[edited for flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on June 10, 2016 10:46PM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Butcherblock Train capital...(guk maybe close....)

Screenshot_2016-06-07-08-36-23_1_zpsi6unfyko.jpg

Don't forget Unrest!
  • TheFamousMockingbird
    I played on Luclin and Firiona Vie servers.
    Seeing all these screen shots and familiar names really brings back good memories.
    Unrest, Butcherblock. Those were scary zones at level (and even a little above). EQ was NOT solo friendly.
    Once you started doing planar raids or dragon runs, it was serious commitment. And no voice chat at all.
    Your guild meant something and even your individual reputation on a server.
    EQ was HARD and at the time was very novel and addicting. There was very little of the online resources and guides that exist now. I think you could, a the time, buy an actual book with hints and quest spoilers. But actually stumbling through the steps to get your epic class weapon, with high chance for failure and (by ESO standards) moderate RNG fate.
    Getting your Dark Elf disguise so you could sneak through Neriak in order to pick the pocket of a thieves guild leader in the middle of his frikkin headquarters. Knowing that the case of your lonely, solo death was going to be very hard to recover from.
    Camping Lower Guk for days to get a named spawn. That's pretty hardcore stuff now.
    Initially you had very limited ability to travel between zones, other than a long walk or take a ship (Or swim. Did that once). That led to sticking around a zone for several levels with your cohorts. It helped forge more relationships and group cohesion. There was less of a race and expectation to instantly conquer every piece of content.

If you ran with my Bard on Firiona Vie ( a real life committed RP server just for EQ players) you not only got the super speed buff of my tambourine along with a twist of levitation, but you also got forced to listen to my RP chat traveling songs. That was a riot.

If you are a former Luclin server member you may remember the guild Glorious Rising. Alive and well, though a small group, on the ESO NA Server. Hopefully this topic brings some attention and is noticed by more former guildies, who I am certain are playing ESO.

Train to Zone!
    Edited by TheFamousMockingbird on June 8, 2016 4:53AM
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    Nuttin like a bunch of EQ fans? sitting around telling horror storys about how much they loved that game...

Best hotkey for raid gone BAD, "Camp the Cleric"... ;)
  • Steel_Brightblade
    Steel_Brightblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol interesting thought that this is more like everquest than wow, especially since wow was was just a better marketed direct copy of everquest with new skins and a lower difficulty setting.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol interesting thought that this is more like everquest than wow, especially since wow was was just a better marketed direct copy of everquest with new skins and a lower difficulty setting.

Yup. I remember everyone talking about how you could actually solo on WOW(i never jumped over. Was still soloing(slowly) on my ikky monk Sscorn) I honestly thought the graphics looked TOO cartoony( odd when you look back at original EQ) so wasn't interested.
  • Steel_Brightblade
    Steel_Brightblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to say my ideal game would be a remake of Everest, same game but modern graphics, only problem is now as an adult with responsibilities I can't see finding the time to camp one mob in guk for the monk epic for 50 hours straight a possibility.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BottomDPS wrote: »
    Anyone know if some of the devs played/worked on Everquest or Everquest 2?

Former mythic staff did before and during DAOC development ...
    I don't know if Matt or Brian did.
  • Steel_Brightblade
    Steel_Brightblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'd assume not as for a start Everquest 1 and 2 both had a vision from the start of the game of how things should work, class dynamics etc and so only made slight tweaks to individual skills every now and then. Unlike here where they seem to try and re invent the game every 3 months rendering some classes and sets ups useless or unrecognisable.